Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Tell you one thing I would be happy about if Sprint (Softbank) buys T-Mobile....If they keep T-Mobiles Coverage map....I loathe Sprints coverage map....so small and a pain to navigate...I enjoy a Google/Bing map overlay....very easy to use! 

• Like 3

Speculation that China Mobile might chase T-Mobile if SoftBank fails: http://www.fiercemobileit.com/story/china-mobile-could-be-looking-buy-us-carrier/2014-05-29

This might very well be the handy work of SB. Nice way to "ensure" SB can get the green light from the feds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

If DT is planning on selling their ~67% stake in TMUS, why would they even care what the resultant company is called?  :blink:

My guess is that they are not going to sell their entire stake.  They may end up keeping a minority stake in the combined company.  I can't imagine it'll be that large a stake though.  

Like it or not, Masa Son is going to try to get this deal done. Of course the easy part is getting DT to agree. Now we'll see what kind of determination Masa truly has once he goes up against the feds.

Right and that's why this would be such a bad idea. Both the DoJ and FCC have already expressed strong reservations about any such tie-up. So you keep pounding your head against a wall in the slim hopes that maybe you'll break through? I don't get that...If Son fails then he has to part with money, spectrum or both which only makes T-Mobile stronger and paves the way for Charlie Ergen or some other interested party to swoop in and pick up the strengthened T-Mobile. In the off chance that he succeeds, there are all kinds of integration issues to deal with and tons of redundant cell sites and, perhaps most importantly, the reserved spectrum for the 600MHz auction goes bye-bye.

All the pre-merger rumor stories had it with Leger and Tmo basically taking over sprint.

I actually wouldn't mind Legere staying on only because if at some point the shareholders decide that they'd like to see profits (and perhaps even dividends) so changes need to be made to that end, he definitely needs to be the one standing in his Twitter pulpit to explain why to his sycophants.

• Like 2

What is SoftBank's record?

- Turned around tire fire of a Vodafone network in Japan.
- Came in and won control of Clearwire.
- Accelerated deployment of Network Vision.
- Started 800 LTE rapid deployment and has also greatly increased 800 CDMA 1X coverage.
- Greatly accelerated backhaul deployment.
- Started Spark deployment, first on Clearwire network and now beginning deployment of Spark on Network Vision sites.
- Improving CDMA voice performance, implementing HD Voice.
- Signing Spark deployment deal with Nokia, letting Ericsson know they have to shape up or ship out.

- Bringing in a new CTO and CNO (chief network officer), making changes to top level network staff.
- Moving customers off the old WiMAX network to Spark.
- Framily plans, I hate the name but love the idea.
- Matching T-Mobile's Jump and ETF buyouts.

We have to carefully consider Sprint's old record with their record under SoftBank. Just pointing out the positives and negatives.

Mind you, this is not an argument for any rumored deal. This is simply stating some of the structural level work SoftBank has done to clean up the Sprint tire fire.

I would rather not chase after T-Mobile.

• Like 6

A big welcome to our new Magenta overlords!    :rolleyes:

http://www.freemagenta.nl/?page_id=121

So, they really are Magentans.

AJ

• Like 1

Lets hope part of the plan is to give dish some things... like tmus prepaid customers and some spectrum so dish can start up and doj wont complain.

Concessions and divesting spectrum is a given. 

Im personally ready to see the current Sprint branding and reputation die.  Sprint carries a reputation worse than the actual state of its network and customer experience.  Don't want to become Tmo either though. 

Lets hope part of the plan is to give dish some things... like tmus prepaid customers and some spectrum so dish can start up and doj wont complain.

Let's give them the deadbeats.

• Like 3

So, they really are Magentans.

AJ

They should incorporate spellcheck into their ploy at DT AG:

Priscilla Tomasoa, spokeswoman for T-Mobile Holland, just told us that the ANP message was not right. The mother company Deutsche Telekom AG is behind the legal claim of the color margenta, and not T-Mobile.

Reation T-Mobile, Holland

(Reuters) - Germany’s Deutsche Telekom AG is willing to keep a minority stake in a deal to sell T-Mobile US Inc to Japan’s Softbank Corp, but other details such as price and financing remain to be worked out, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Softbank owns a majority of Sprint Corp S.N, the third largest U.S. wireless carrier. Deutsche Telekom owns 67 percent of T-Mobile, which has a market value of $27.6 billion and is the fourth-largest U.S. wireless carrier.

Earlier on Thursday, Kyodo news agency reported that Deutsche Telekom had agreed to a Softbank plan to buy T-Mobile.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/29/us-softbank-tmobile-idUSKBN0E917A20140529

• Like 1

(Reuters) - Germany’s Deutsche Telekom AG is willing to keep a minority stake in a deal to sell T-Mobile US Inc to Japan’s Softbank Corp, but other details such as price and financing remain to be worked out, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Softbank owns a majority of Sprint Corp S.N, the third largest U.S. wireless carrier. Deutsche Telekom owns 67 percent of T-Mobile, which has a market value of $27.6 billion and is the fourth-largest U.S. wireless carrier.

Earlier on Thursday, Kyodo news agency reported that Deutsche Telekom had agreed to a Softbank plan to buy T-Mobile.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/29/us-softbank-tmobile-idUSKBN0E917A20140529

Honestly think the only reason for this is to keep acquisition cost lower for SoftBank.  I'm sure Masa son would prefer to buy out the whole company.  

Tell you one thing I would be happy about if Sprint (Softbank) buys T-Mobile....If they keep T-Mobiles Coverage map....I loathe Sprints coverage map....so small and a pain to navigate...I enjoy a Google/Bing map overlay....very easy to use! 

I'd much rather Sprint hire a professional design agency to overhaul whatever they end up becoming, and design/develop a full suite of applications for Android & iOS that compliment that experience.

Right now, there are so many UX and UI problems with Sprint.com, I'd settle for blowing up that infrastructure and starting over from scratch.

• Like 3

Honestly think the only reason for this is to keep acquisition cost lower for SoftBank.  I'm sure Masa son would prefer to buy out the whole company.  

I bet that's the end-game. I'm sure the coup d'état comes slowly, piece-by-piece.

Gnomes_plan.png

Step one: Son/Softbank buys a controlling share/majority stake of TMUS from DT

Step two: ...

Step three: Profit!

I still think it's a bad idea. I think Son is dangerously overselling what he can deliver in terms of fixed and mobile wireless broadband, particularly given that buying T-Mobile doesn't give him much additional footprint.

As for Charlie Ergen and Dish, while they may make a fixed broadband play with whatever Sprint is forced to divest, I don't see mobile broadband or voice service happening, unless Sprint or T-Mobile is also forced to divest some WCDMA-compatible spectrum.

But I guess we'll see either way.

• Like 1

Also, the Magenta fanboys don't think their 20x20 AWS blocks can ever congest.

It's The Carrier That Can Never Do Wrong, everyone. lol

That's the Cult of Legere for ya...  <_< 

I admire your patience.

I still think it's a bad idea. I think Son is dangerously overselling what he can deliver in terms of fixed and mobile wireless broadband, particularly given that buying T-Mobile doesn't give him much additional footprint.

As for Charlie Ergen and Dish, while they may make a fixed broadband play with whatever Sprint is forced to divest, I don't see mobile broadband or voice service happening, unless Sprint or T-Mobile is also forced to divest some WCDMA-compatible spectrum.

But I guess we'll see either way.

I see a strong possibility of a spectrum swap between Sprint and Dish, with Sprint getting a 25x5Mhz chunk and Dish getting about a 100Mhz of EBS spectrum that will then be used to provide fixed broadband. Dish will turn around and let the combined company host their spectrum. Both Sprint and Dish will bundle fixed broadband into their offerings, with Dish also doing OTT and VOD over theirs.

While a Sprint/Tmobile merger won't give them additional foot print, that has never been one of their criteria. If it was they would have merged with Alltell + USCC+regionals, instead of Nextel. This is about scale for capex, it is about customers.

• Like 2

That's the Cult of Legere for ya... <_<

It's going to be interesting to see how the Magenta fanboys react when Legere is the point man to selling a TMobile-Sprint merger.

You want to see people flip on a dime? You're going to get your chance.

Meanwhile if push comes to shove I may be filing a petition to deny with the friendly neighborhood FCC.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Magenta fanboys react when Legere is the point man to selling a TMobile-Sprint merger.

You want to see people flip on a dime? You're going to get your chance.

Meanwhile if push comes to shove I may be filing a petition to deny with the friendly neighborhood FCC.

Itll go something like. "Sprint has a chance to be saved by Legere." Or "Legere is going to save the day." Meanwhile, sprint will be on its last round of acceptances and b26 will continue to gain nationwide coverage and magentans will think its alllllll thanks to Legere. Yup. Something like that LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Itll go something like. "Sprint has a chance to be saved by Legere." Or "Legere is going to save the day." Meanwhile, sprint will be on its last round of acceptances and b26 will continue to gain nationwide coverage and magentans will think its alllllll thanks to Legere. Yup. Something like that LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

That could very be how it unfolds.

Flip side, it will attract many many new customers. Than if the Sprint name survived.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk