Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

The problem is that they have been working on the network already.. Why must it take an ADITIONAL 2 years on top of what they have benn doing for, what 3 years now? I know they are working on it but do the contractors and vendors just dont care at all?

The problem is that they have been working on the network already.. Why must it take an ADITIONAL 2 years on top of what they have benn doing for, what 3 years now? I know they are working on it but do the contractors and vendors just dont care at all?

I am fairly sure he is saying it will take 2 years to see the financial improvements that investors are looking for.

• Like 4

I am fairly sure he is saying it will take 2 years to see the financial improvements that investors are looking for.

Exactly and for 2.6 to be fully deployed. Remember original nv plans had 2.6 deployed only in high traffic areas since the clear purchase it has been extend to across the network. Further, to get similar coverage, especially in building to sprints other frequencies they'll need more cell sites and that takes time.

The problem is that they have been working on the network already.. Why must it take an ADITIONAL 2 years on top of what they have benn doing for, what 3 years now? 

Three years? They started deploying Network Vision in 2010? News to me...

• Like 2

Three years? They started deploying Network Vision in 2010? News to me...

Complainers are prone to exaggeration.

AJ

• Like 2

In my town Clearwire had got approved for their permits on some towers but not all back in 2010 (round then). But that was when they went bankrupt so they never built out in Simi Valley. But Sprint NV is coming to Simi. So will they put the 2.6 on the sprint towers out there? Or does sprint only plan to build out 2.6 on existing clear towers. 

In my town Clearwire had got approved for their permits on some towers but not all back in 2010 (round then). But that was when they went bankrupt so they never built out in Simi Valley. But Sprint NV is coming to Simi. So will they put the 2.6 on the sprint towers out there? Or does sprint only plan to build out 2.6 on existing clear towers. 

The initial 2500/2600 roll out is on existing Clearwire sites. The next phase of NV (2.0) will add it to Sprint sites.

This is more of an underpromise on the financial (investment) side, which is to be expected for awhile. Had the article been about NV slowdowns or unforeseen delays in current and ongoing deployment plans, it would be more troublesome.  Nothing to see here folks.

• Like 2

People have already covered this, but the statements were meant for investors worried about poor *financial* performance. Not network performance. This is not to mean that NV is going to take an additional 2 years. It means it will take two years to turn around the subscriber and financial losses, which seems pretty fair to me. 

• Like 2

Ah, yeah financial. Guess some people care about just that. Also yeah, first round markets started in 12/2011 to 03/2012 so its almost been 2 years, my bad.

Im not really up on how stocks work, but how many people can they lose before its detrimental? The article was basicly telling people that its going to take a long time and that they should really consider staying. I know you guys said that they wont be using any of that money they got on the development of the network but wont that solve their problems? Offer more money to get more contractors and stuff like that. Idk, this whole softbank thing feels pointless.

Ah, yeah financial. Guess some people care about just that. Also yeah, first round markets started in 12/2011 to 03/2012 so its almost been 2 years, my bad.

Im not really up on how stocks work, but how many people can they lose before its detrimental? The article was basicly telling people that its going to take a long time and that they should really consider staying. I know you guys said that they wont be using any of that money they got on the development of the network but wont that solve their problems? Offer more money to get more contractors and stuff like that. Idk, this whole softbank thing feels pointless.

I don't think throwing more money would fix anything at this point, at the beginning of planning for NV? yes, probably. At this point they already have a contract and things are delayed due to various reasons.

Also, how on earth is the "SoftBank thing" pointless? They're the reason that Sprint is going to put band 41 everywhere and without them Sprint might be in real financial danger at this point.  

Without SoftBank, bankruptcy would be a real specter at this point. That said, I don't think a year turnaround on the network rebuild is unrealistic at all. 

Sprint has to start underpromising and overdelivering. This is part of the shift culturally that needs to happen under SoftBank leadership.

• Like 2

Without SoftBank, bankruptcy would be a real specter at this point. That said, I don't think a year turnaround on the network rebuild is unrealistic at all. 

Sprint has to start underpromising and overdelivering. This is part of the shift culturally that needs to happen under SoftBank leadership.

To be fair to Sprint though, a lot (from my vantage point) of the problems with NV have been things that are out of their control, It's not like they're being cheap either, I think they've already spent the money.

• Like 1

I don't think throwing more money would fix anything at this point, at the beginning of planning for NV? yes, probably. At this point they already have a contract and things are delayed due to various reasons.

Also, how on earth is the "SoftBank thing" pointless? They're the reason that Sprint is going to put band 41 everywhere and without them Sprint might be in real financial danger at this point.  

to repeat what Nickle stated... (in my words) I don't see Mr Sun as the kind of CEO (more hands on it seems) that like to speak a loud talk, rather speak short and quick with action to speak for itself.   Its not a dig on my part I hope but - lets be honest the Sprint network has been needing work for years now!  so 12-18 months to steer this boat around the iceberg seems fair as well.  I've seen NV improvements so having faith in SB is needed!  

• Like 2

Point blank without SB sprint wouldn't be able to buy out clearwire and take its spectrum nationwide. Nothing will change overnight it definitely takes time. We will probably notice drastic changes in the network by mid 2014. LTE on 1900 should be deployed nationwide and we will have LTE on 800 as well.

LTE on 2600 should be deployed in a handful of markets both sprint and clearwire sites.

• Like 1

What worries me is how many times I hear Sprint sucks. I hear it on the broadcast radio in off  hand comments on the talk radio station I listen too. I hear it from other people when if I bring up Sprint for any reason. I even over hear other peoples conversations out and about and they say it. They have a lot of bad feelings to reverse.             

• Like 2

What worries me is how many times I hear Sprint sucks. I hear it on the broadcast radio in off  hand comments on the talk radio station I listen too. I hear it from other people when if I bring up Sprint for any reason. I even over hear other peoples conversations out and about and they say it. They have a lot of bad feelings to reverse.             

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

• Like 5

When people walk by and see you smiling happily while talking on your phone and tech reviews start posting top level speed tests and others hear you converse with your friends about your great service, feelings will reverse.

• Like 6

Exactly... people who got burned by sprint typically left and assume its not getting better.

In my area evdo on sprint is in the 80-150kbps, when lte is up between 2-9mbps.

So at some point It will improve. I really think if SB can pull this off they will have a great network thst might best Att.

• Like 2

Exactly... people who got burned by sprint typically left and assume its not getting better.

So at some point It will improve. I really think if SB can pull this off they will have a great network thst might best Att.

Wow those speeds are kinda bad, especially LTE. Is you're area really loaded or something?

Where do you live at? Have you checked the map on the primer sponsor section to see if there are any clearwire sites being upgraded in your area?