Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

1) Faster phone upgrades: Verizon Edge, AT&T Next, T-Mobile Jump, Sprint? Nothing

Actually, Sprint has their Upgrade Now program. It was launched and available before AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. It is not a formal program advertised, but it is offered and available to just about everyone starting at 6 months into their contract and not eligible for upgrade.

It is by far, much simpler than Jump, Next, or Edge from everything I've read.

Their are two different tier structures, one for smartphones and one for feature phones. Essentially it works as an up front ETF payment for become eligible immediately for the upgrade pricing (not exactly, but fundamentally). The further you are into your contract, the less it costs for the program. It requires utilizing Sprint's Buyback program, and that credit goes directly towards your device purchase at the point of sale. You can only take advantage of it in stores, unless you use the new Reserve In Store system to pay online and pick it up in store instead.

No initial deposit, no monthly cost, no increase in monthly plan pricing (permanent or temporary) required to take advantage of the "early upgrade" program. Some might argue it's better to split it up across bills, but I can tell you from experience working with many customers already unable to understand phone bills as it is (even when they aren't having a billing issue, on all carriers) adding another line-item every month just adds to the confusion. The fact is the average person can't understand a bill, from any carrier or company. I work for Sprint in retail, I was retail sales/support and now a tech, and I have friends that work in call centers for various companies, it's the same regardless of company. People can't understand a bill, that isn't going to magically change with a complex program. Not to mention the fact Sprint got rid of things like Bill to Account for device purchases was due to fraud, etc. related to things exactly like Jump/Edge/Next (people using their bill as a credit card for the purchase, making payments instead of a lump sum payment on their next bill as required). Sprint is not in the credit business, it has too much overhead to try and collect and Sprint has been trying to reduce the amount of "sub-prime" customers that don't pay their bills on time and in full, something the old management (Forsee et al.) allowed to happen way too much over the years.

• Like 3

Actually, Sprint has their Upgrade Now program. It was launched and available before AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. It is not a formal program advertised, but it is offered and available to just about everyone starting at 6 months into their contract and not eligible for upgrade.

It is by far, much simpler than Jump, Next, or Edge from everything I've read.

Their are two different tier structures, one for smartphones and one for feature phones. Essentially it works as an up front ETF payment for become eligible immediately for the upgrade pricing (not exactly, but fundamentally). The further you are into your contract, the less it costs for the program. It requires utilizing Sprint's Buyback program, and that credit goes directly towards your device purchase at the point of sale. You can only take advantage of it in stores, unless you use the new Reserve In Store system to pay online and pick it up in store instead.

No initial deposit, no monthly cost, no increase in monthly plan pricing (permanent or temporary) required to take advantage of the "early upgrade" program. Some might argue it's better to split it up across bills, but I can tell you from experience working with many customers already unable to understand phone bills as it is (even when they aren't having a billing issue, on all carriers) adding another line-item every month just adds to the confusion. The fact is the average person can't understand a bill, from any carrier or company. I work for Sprint in retail, I was retail sales/support and now a tech, and I have friends that work in call centers for various companies, it's the same regardless of company. People can't understand a bill, that isn't going to magically change with a complex program. Not to mention the fact Sprint got rid of things like Bill to Account for device purchases was due to fraud, etc. related to things exactly like Jump/Edge/Next (people using their bill as a credit card for the purchase, making payments instead of a lump sum payment on their next bill as required). Sprint is not in the credit business, it has too much overhead to try and collect and Sprint has been trying to reduce the amount of "sub-prime" customers that don't pay their bills on time and in full, something the old management (Forsee et al.) allowed to happen way too much over the years.

Wasn't there big news update about the Upgrade Now program being cancelled back in December 2012?

Wasn't there big news update about the Upgrade Now program being cancelled back in December 2012?

It was changed but is still there on people's accounts with good standing. I did 2 today, it's just not something Sprint advertises, it's only offered if you ask or come in with a broken phone.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

It was changed but is still there on people's accounts with good standing. I did 2 today, it's just not something Sprint advertises, it's only offered if you ask or come in with a broken phone.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

maybe i will pm you to check out my account one of these days.  :ninja:

We are arguing about $5 per month per phone. That's nothing in the big picture. I would prefer not having my data throttled and a great spectrum position which will make sprint the better network long term without question. Just give it some time, and I think sprint will show why they are worth that small difference in price. For one phone sprint is even cheaper, it just depends on your situation.

Hmm, You are correct about the BoGo HTC One.It is about a $200 savings so new math is below. I will say that 2 for 1 pricing is not the usual price for a new smartphone but as a direct comparison it is a valid one. I'll also add the cost if you buy one off of ebay at a normal price and bring it to T-Mobile:

Look at the monthly pricing between Sprint and T-Mobile now for 2 HTC One smartphones with unlimited data + insurance.

Sprint: $172.00 monthly + 398 (phones @199) = $4327 over 24 months

T-Mobile: $182 monthly + $20 (sim card x 2) = $4388 over 24 months

T-Mobile with upgrades every 6 months! $186 monthly + $20 (sim card x 2) = $4484 over 24 months

T-Mobile BYOD ($425x2) + $8/mo Insurance + 120/mo= $3746

Unless you went with an iPhone in which case add 300 for the phones. Also the no money down is for a limited time. And the jump plan is 10 a month per line so I don't get your math on the second set. But yes sprint's new plans aren't as competitive as I thought they where going to be after the SoftBank's purchase nor have they responded to next, edge or jump all of which have been surprisingly popular. So I hear you on that point.

but I can tell you from experience working with many customers already unable to understand phone bills as it is (even when they aren't having a billing issue, on all carriers) adding another line-item every month just adds to the confusion. The fact is the average person can't understand a bill, from any carrier or company.

THIS^^^^^

I have always thought that one of the reasons for Sprints improved customer service was the simplification of the plans. Less confusion for the customers and service reps.

• Like 2

Unless you went with an iPhone in which case add 300 for the phones. Also the no money down is for a limited time. And the jump plan is 10 a month per line so I don't get your math on the second set. But yes sprint's new plans aren't as competitive as I thought they where going to be after the SoftBank's purchase nor have they responded to next, edge or jump all of which have been surprisingly popular. So I hear you on that point.

This may come as a shock..but I think this is discussed here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4191-softbank-new-sprint-discussion/page-21&do=findComment&comment=190659

I knew about this stuff before it was even advertised...because I called, talked with someone, and paid $50 back in July of 2012 to buy the Galaxy S3...since $50 was how much I needed to pay to buy out my remaining contract period. Then, paid for the Gs3. I turned around and paid $100 for my wife's line the  following September and got her a GS3 as well.

Sprint wasn't heavily advertising the Upgrade Now program, and as the program stands, it still is a better deal and they don't need to do anything to "catch-up" with the others. If anything, the others have played "catch-up" to Sprint by implementing their new device options.

• Like 1

The $182 price was phones + insurance. Jump includes insurance for $10/mo vs $8 for insurance so the difference is small.

Look at the monthly pricing between Sprint and T-Mobile now for 2 smartphones with unlimited data + insurance.

Sprint: $172.00 monthly + 398 (phones @199) = $4526 over 24 months

T-Mobile: $182 monthly + $20 (sim card x 2)     = $4388 over 24 months

T-Mobile with upgrades every 6 months! $186 monthly + $20 (sim card x 2)     = $4484 over 24 months

Don't you have to put a down payment everytime you buy/trade in your phone with T-Mobile's jump program?  So over a 24 month period, if you buy 2 new phones 4 times (once every 6 months), that's $200 (2 phones) x 4 = $800 extra that you add to T-Mobile if you want the latest and greatest.  T-Mobile's is better if you bring in your own phone, or if you hold off on purchasing a new phone (esssentially NOT taking advantage of early upgrades). 

I do agree with you that I don't want to sign contracts any more.  When one of my Sprint lines came off contract recently, I bought a Nokia 920 that I unlocked so I can try other carriers.  I'm currently using Metro PCS at the moment with that line, which is essentially T-Mobile's service but at a cheaper price.

This may come as a shock..but I think this is discussed here:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4191-softbank-new-sprint-discussion/page-21&do=findComment&comment=190659

I knew about this stuff before it was even advertised...because I called, talked with someone, and paid $50 back in July of 2012 to buy the Galaxy S3...since $50 was how much I needed to pay to buy out my remaining contract period. Then, paid for the Gs3. I turned around and paid $100 for my wife's line the following September and got her a GS3 as well.

Sprint wasn't heavily advertising the Upgrade Now program, and as the program stands, it still is a better deal and they don't need to do anything to "catch-up" with the others. If anything, the others have played "catch-up" to Sprint by implementing their new device options.

This is not the same kind of program. This is not something sprint is advertising, a customer either has to know about it or have a pretty aware sales rep. Who goes over it with them. Next, jump and edge are new pricing schemes that involve "financing" (edge and next aren't really financing) the phone and sprint doesn't offer this. Argue about the merits of these programs all you want they are popular and people are doing it. Sprint will need to catch up and for a company looking to grow playing catch up is not where you want to be.

Don't you have to put a down payment everytime you buy/trade in your phone with T-Mobile's jump program?  So over a 24 month period, if you buy 2 new phones 4 times (once every 6 months), that's $200 (2 phones) x 4 = $800 extra that you add to T-Mobile if you want the latest and greatest.  T-Mobile's is better if you bring in your own phone, or if you hold off on purchasing a new phone (esssentially NOT taking advantage of early upgrades). 

I do agree with you that I don't want to sign contracts any more.  When one of my Sprint lines came off contract recently, I bought a Nokia 920 that I unlocked so I can try other carriers.  I'm currently using Metro PCS at the moment with that line, which is essentially T-Mobile's service but at a cheaper price.

Nope! There are currently no down payments on T-Mobile phones. Can that change in the future? sure.

This is not the same kind of program. This is not something sprint is advertising, a customer either has to know about it or have a pretty aware sales rep. Who goes over it with them. Next, jump and edge are new pricing schemes that involve "financing" (edge and next aren't really financing) the phone and sprint doesn't offer this. Argue about the merits of these programs all you want they are popular and people are doing it. Sprint will need to catch up and for a company looking to grow playing catch up is not where you want to be.

No, they don't need an aware sales rep. They need a rep that does the bare minimum of reading weekly updates from Sprint corporate. I realize this is still seemingly hard for many to do, but that's more about local management hiring practices than anything else.

It was, then brought back about a week later in a modified program with multiple tiers. Essentially, the trial period was a complete success, so it was expanded to a much longer and more complex trial. I assume it's still considered a trial program since it isn't publicly advertised, but any sales rep who can read should know about the program. It appears in just about every account with a device older than 6 months as an account offer.

It was, then brought back about a week later in a modified program with multiple tiers. Essentially, the trial period was a complete success, so it was expanded to a much longer and more complex trial. I assume it's still considered a trial program since it isn't publicly advertised, but any sales rep who can read should know about the program. It appears in just about every account with a device older than 6 months as an account offer.

I liked the Sprint Premier program where one line on the account could upgrade yearly.  I was able to go from the Pre to the Evo but got stuck after that.  My other line almost never upgrades, so i got the upgrades, it was nice.

Argue, no. You said they don't have similar programs. I said they do, which is a fact. Advertising wasn't mentioned, but the existence of the programs has nothing to do with advertising practices.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Argue, no. You said they don't have similar programs. I said they do, which is a fact. Advertising wasn't mentioned, but the existence of the programs has nothing to do with advertising practices.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

The point of the op I was going off of and the point I agreed with him on was sprint is falling behind the offers of other carriers. Them having a program that does kind of the same thing (but not really) and no one knows about doesn't invalidate the claim. Sprint is play catch up in a lot of ways (lte, plan price and hand set subsidies) some of which can't be helped but plan pricing and handset offers can.

Nope! There are currently no down payments on T-Mobile phones. Can that change in the future? sure.

It will change, it already ended on iPhones and has always been billed by tmobile as a summer promo. Maybe they will keep it around but it is unlikely.

Just realized we probably won't know more about softbank's plan with sprint and other things such as network vision 2.0 (LTE 800/2500, etc) until the Q3 earnings call which is probably the end of October.

What if Sprint does their 800 rollout similar to the other carriers in cluster launches, or they turn off towers until the day that they announce it. And that is why we can't tell if the tower has 800 or not. 

What if Sprint does their 800 rollout similar to the other carriers in cluster launches, or they turn off towers until the day that they announce it. And that is why we can't tell if the tower has 800 or not.

I doubt it as they haven't done the 1x800 like this.

Who knows whether if they turn on 800 LTE or not we all still need a device that supports it which means I have to wait until 6/1/14 to get one and experience Triband.

I just wish we can ship our current device to sprint tech support and have them add the necessary antenna to make the device Triband lol. I honestly would keep my current iPhone 5 for another 3 to 5 years if it was Triband

Shentel did. We turned on 800 all over hagerstown in one week

Shentel has done everything differently and plus it was probably already on as we had reports from folks that were seeing it.  The PRL update that turned it on made it seem like they all fired up in one week.

Shentel has done everything differently and plus it was probably already on as we had reports from folks that were seeing it. The PRL update that turned it on made it seem like they all fired up in one week.

Obviously sprint corporate has a lot more work to be done compared to shentel but I wonder why it's taking awhile for them to turn on 1x 800 "officially" . I know from Frederick MD to DC you cannot pick it up unless you have a customized prl.