Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Obviously sprint corporate has a lot more work to be done compared to shentel but I wonder why it's taking awhile for them to turn on 1x 800 "officially" . I know from Frederick MD to DC you cannot pick it up unless you have a customized prl.

CDMA1X 800 is "turned on" on a far greater number of sites than you know, than even we know.  But just because CDMA1X 800 is active on a site does not mean that you will use it -- unless you actually need it.  Then, your handset or the network will bump you down to CDMA1X 800.  Think of CDMA1X 800 as something of an invisible safety net.

AJ

So does anyone Know exactly how much Softbank is pledging for the additional $$ for the network overhaul?

Nothing

"Softbank's 21.6 billion dollar takeover of Sprint includes $5 billion of capital to bolster the U.S. firm's balance sheet. Sprint is supposed to pay for network investments out of its own earnings, requiring no additional funding from Softbank.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

• Like 2

Nothing

"Softbank's 21.6 billion dollar takeover of Sprint includes $5 billion of capital to bolster the U.S. firm's balance sheet. Sprint is supposed to pay for network investments out of its own earnings, requiring no additional funding from Softbank.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

We've found that there is considerable possibility for cutting costs," Mr. Son said

Sprint employees are gonna be squeezed. Japanese companies - yes I've worked for one and all my peers agree - are brutal when it comes to personnel costs.

The upside is that consumers are gonna benefit.

Edited by hoxsox

Nothing

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

Wow. $8bil next year and no SoftBank help. Yowza!

Nothing

Finally! Thanks for posting this article. Confirmation of coverage plans.

If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years.

Nothing

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017

Wow... just wow.. And thanks.. Not even a dime

Finally! Thanks for posting this article. Confirmation of coverage plans.

If the network isn't good, customers are going to complain, Mr. Son said, adding that Sprint will seek to pull even with Verizon in high-speed coverage in about two years.

This is the same article that people have been referencing for a long time. I would not take it as confirmation. If Sprint buys up a carrier like Cellular South or USCC, then I think we can take it as confirmation. Son could have easily meant "We will pull even with Verizon in high speed coverage areas". 

Softbank has been quoted as seeing 2-3 billion in economies of scale savings for Sprint. Sprint in one of their NV documents mentioned saving 1.5 billion a year from shutting down Nextel, so I could see Sprint being able to afford the upgrades by using those savings as well as others that they find. 

Nothing

Why cant they give sprint some capital? They said that they are relying on "Sprint's ability to grow steadily" so why not give them the means to do so with all that damn money.. This whole thing sounds pointless now. :(

Why cant they give sprint some capital? They said that they are relying on "Sprint's ability to grow steadily" so why not give them the means to do so with all that damn money.. This whole thing sounds pointless now. :(

They can. They won't. It's business.

Why can't DT give TMO more $$$? They own 74% and are in similar situation as SoftBank. Business.

They give them $5bil.

I have no doubts Softbank would throw more money at Sprint if it needed to. But if Sprint can pay for itself... what seems to be the problem?

Network vision is already funded before softbank. The reason for the delays were due to backhaul and vendors working on their respective market.

With the extra money could they get more aggressive? Tell them to get the work done or we will offer more money to this guy? idk..

With the extra money could they get more aggressive? Tell them to get the work done or we will offer more money to this guy? idk..

I suppose but rebuilding a network doesn't happen overnight. Trust me I wish it can be done quicker and faster but it takes time, the right people, permits, licenses, making sure the new network doesn't affect competitors existing networks, series of testing etc.

Sprint isn't just adding LTE panels they are restructuring every piece of equipment including the base stations and fiber cables.

It's something that sprint has to do to keep their network alive. But once they are completely done with network vision and once LTE advance becomes more known and advertised, sprint will already have the equipment in place to launch it. (I honestly don't know if att and vzws current LTE network and equipment is capable of LTE advance to my knowledge its not)

One more thing - sprint is adding LTE on 3 different frequencies

So overall it's a lot but like I said it has to be done.

*just writing all of that made me realize I have to be patient and I know once everything is done it will be worth the wait*

• Like 7

The problem is sprint could finish/expand faster with more Soft money.

Throwing out more money doesn't necessarily mean network vision will be completed faster. There's only so many qualified contractors available that are qualified to climb those towers and complete the work. I don't think there's a large supply of those people sitting on the sidelines because no one will pay them. You can't get 9 women together to make a baby in a month.

• Like 4

People, you seem to keep forgetting one major thing. You can't make Network Vision happen any faster than it already is. Number 1 problem from the beginning is permitting because cities can be cranky about how things are done with applications. Number 2 problem is "tin-foil hat people" who try every possible way to interfere with such initiatives as Network Vision. Number 3, backhaul. AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Cox, Comcast don't want to help others even when paid to do so. Look at the Albuquerque Market thread and you will see all about that issue.

Money is evil, it doesn't make the world go faster, it just has the appearance of such a thing. And number 4, you can't bribe politicians to make permitting go faster, because I hope you'll get caught, and then it'll be all your fault for slowing Network Vision. I will make sure that you get tortured in prison for trying to sabotage Sprint in their efforts to complete Network Vision on time!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 5

People, you seem to keep forgetting one major thing. You can't make Network Vision happen any faster than it already is. Number 1 problem from the beginning is permitting because cities can be cranky about how things are done with applications. Number 2 problem is "tin-foil hat people" who try every possible way to interfere with such initiatives as Network Vision. Number 3, backhaul. AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Cox, Comcast don't want to help others even when paid to do so. Look at the Albuquerque Market thread and you will see all about that issue.

Money is evil, it doesn't make the world go faster, it just has the appearance of such a thing. And number 4, you can't bribe politicians to make permitting go faster, because I hope you'll get caught, and then it'll be all your fault for slowing Network Vision. I will make sure that you get tortured in prison for trying to sabotage Sprint in their efforts to complete Network Vision on time!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

They are paid good money to finish a tower though from what I'm understanding.

They are paid good money to finish a tower though from what I'm understanding.

I didn't even touch on the point of contractors. They aren't an interest in the underpinnings that Sprint has to go thru just to get Network Vision off the ground. That isn't political bribery, just stupid bribery.

I didn't even touch on the point of contractors. They aren't an interest in the underpinnings that Sprint has to go thru just to get Network Vision off the ground. That isn't political bribery, just stupid bribery.

This may be off topic lol.. But where the hell did all these contractors come from? I mean... A tower repair a few people ect. But thousands of people? Where did they come from? It's not like this kinda stuff happens every year

This may be off topic lol.. But where the hell did all these contractors come from? I mean... A tower repair a few people ect. But thousands of people? Where did they come from? It's not like this kinda stuff happens every year

People are hired and trained, and it takes time to do such a thing. Just like any job, you have to be trained on how to do it. CEO's didn't just appear overnight either. Lawyers, doctors, and politicians are that way too. They don't just pop up, they are trained, whether to be honest or to become professional crooks, like most* lawyers on this planet.

(I said most because I do believe I have actually found an honest one for a change.)

• Like 2