All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

Great news today! So after the shareholder approval Monday what exactly is the next step for SprintBankWire? I don't know if sprint has a timeline for all the new changes? I just want more info about the deployment of the 2.5GHz TD lTE and when exactly will they be up and running. Should be soon though

...meanwhile ATT rubs its nips and whines.  I just can't stand them. 

AJ

• Like 2

Think you've got that backwards.

Oh my, you do not recognize the historical reference?

250px-Deweytruman12.jpg

AJ

Contrary to prediction, my comment has been approved.

Honestly, I find it humorous that AT&T almost exclusively gets lambasted in the comments on its own Public Policy blog.  The only positive comments tend to come from obvious corporate toadies and consultants on the take.

AJ

• Like 7

Joan Marsh, Joan Lappin

coincidence? :o

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Well, I have never seen the two together. Conspiracy!

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Softbank is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years.  True of False?

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017#ixzz2YQuzPFKO

What can they do with 16 billion into the New Sprint network?  How can they make this money back?

• Like 1

Softbank is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years. True of False?

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017#ixzz2YQuzPFKO

What can they do with 16 billion into the New Sprint network? How can they make this money back?

By grabbing customers and recapturing market share they lost over the years. There is lots to grab if they build out a stronger network to cover where cities have expanded in the last 10 years.

16 billion is almost 4x the capital committed to Network Vision 1.0.   

Backhaul will continue to be a crutch, but that is major $$.  Softbank is one heck of a sugar daddy. 

Probably time for a "What will Softbank do now?"  thread... 

• Like 6

Softbank is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years.  True of False?

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017#ixzz2YQuzPFKO

What can they do with 16 billion into the New Sprint network?  How can they make this money back?

Maybe expand their coverage to places that have no current native service with Sprint. Maybe even acquire some regionals. 

16 billion is almost 4x the capital committed to Network Vision 1.0.   

Backhaul will continue to be a crutch, but that is major $$.  Softbank is one heck of a sugar daddy. 

Probably time for a "What will Softbank do now?"  thread... 

What do you mean about backhaul being a crutch. Unless they start acquiring fiber loops or companies that already have them, they need to get fiber from either the cable cos, local telcos (AT&T, Verizon, etc) or Level 3. 

Backhaul has apparently been the main slowing issue with NV 1.0, no? More money isnt likely to force any of the telcos who are a competitor to move any quicker

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

• Like 1

Softbank is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years. True of False?

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017#ixzz2YQuzPFKO

What can they do with 16 billion into the New Sprint network? How can they make this money back?

If you read carefully, what they're saying is that new sprint will budget that much for capital over the next two years. They are expecting Sprint to generate enough cash from operations to pay for that much capital spending. I suppose if Sprint doesn't then SoftBank may have to inject more money, but that would probably be a bad sign.

Backhaul has apparently been the main slowing issue with NV 1.0, no? More money isnt likely to force any of the telcos who are a competitor to move any quicker

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Based on what I have read, backhaul is a huge bottleneck with NV 1.0.  Just look at all those red dots vs. yellow/green dots on the NV complete map which that in itself tells me the story.  At this rate there is no way Sprint will catch up to ATT.

One thing to keep in mind is I beleive they are running scalable backhaul so once its in it may be pretty easy to up the link speed to add support for 2500 mhz LTE if its co located

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

If you read carefully, what they're saying is that new sprint will budget that much for capital over the next two years. They are expecting Sprint to generate enough cash from operations to pay for that much capital spending. I suppose if Sprint doesn't then SoftBank may have to inject more money, but that would probably be a bad sign.

Much of the increase in we will see in the short-term is going to be cost savings from running really only one network now. with iDEN gone, the only double network overlays are the WiMax protection sites, which are being taken care of already by Clearwire. Sprint has essentially removed the dead weight 2G iDEN technology, and halved network maintenance costs, leases, and backhaul payout.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Sprint is going to either partner or acquire most of their new coverage from CCA members, if Masayoshi Son's plan is to match Verizon's current LTE network coverage. 

here is a map for reference. 

RCA-Map-Coverage.png

The cost to do an organic build out is just too great and the time frame would be much longer than 2 years. 

It would be nice to see Sprints tower coverage expand.

Would it be nice to pay more to finance that buildout?

AJ

• Like 1

I don't necessarily like Son telling the media he will spend 16 B.   As ChadBroChillz state, the easiest way to grow will be through acquisition.  Tmo, Verizon and ATT all know this well and i'm very sure that threats of massive expansion by Sprint have sent a quiver through the bottom side of executives at all 3 competitors.     The dupoly are most certainly re-examining all opportunities to acquire regional carriers.  Unfortunately, when competitors know you have money and want to spend it, they act different. 

Not to mention everybody's favorite dirty uncle, Charlie "Captain Howdy" Ergen.  If he got word Son wanted to buy USCellular or Cspire or any of them, it would be difficult for him to not intervene or throw a tantrum. 

• Like 1