All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

I don't necessarily like Son telling the media he will spend 16 B.   As ChadBroChillz state, the easiest way to grow will be through acquisition.  Tmo, Verizon and ATT all know this well and i'm very sure that threats of massive expansion by Sprint have sent a quiver through the bottom side of executives at all 3 competitors.     The dupoly are most certainly re-examining all opportunities to acquire regional carriers.  Unfortunately, when competitors know you have money and want to spend it, they act different. 

Not to mention everybody's favorite dirty uncle, Charlie "Captain Howdy" Ergen.  If he got word Son wanted to buy USCellular or Cspire or any of them, it would be difficult for him to not intervene or throw a tantrum. 

I see one will be staying a step ahead, with an already crazy strong network in my area they are adding more.  I've seen AT&T adding quite a few sites in my area where they already had decent coverage.  Even saw a couple micro cells on telephone poles. Interesting that they are not contracting this out.  I guess they want to control it completely and not depend on contractors.

AT&T hiring in La. for network expansion - AT&T announced Monday it plans to fill more than 500 job openings in Louisiana, including more than 450 new jobs.  Source: http://theadvocate.com/news/6458953-123/att-hiring-in-la-for

Competition is an awesome thing!  Bring it on... now if only Sprint/Softbank would tap into a bit of the wealth of knowledge at S4GRU!  I'm sure many of us would contract out to them.  I know I would in a heartbeat. 

• Like 5

Ok so if new Sprint decides it wants to expand by buying out regional carriers, how long would it take for that coverage to show as "native." I'm only asking because of the spectrum purchase in Chicago from uscc. From what I read here it's going to take a while for Sprint to actually be able to use it

Ok so if new Sprint decides it wants to expand by buying out regional carriers, how long would it take for that coverage to show as "native." I'm only asking because of the spectrum purchase in Chicago from uscc. From what I read here it's going to take a while for Sprint to actually be able to use it

Sprint bought spectrum, not the sites. Sprint's capacity , not its footprint, will grow due to what they bought from uscell

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Sprint bought spectrum, not the sites. Sprint's capacity , not its footprint, will grow due to what they bought from uscell

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

thanks. If Sprint is going to expand won't they basically be buying spectrum as well when they buy out a regional.

Softbank is planning $16 billion in capital spending at Sprint Nextel Corp. over the next two years.  True of False?

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/softbank-set-to-invest-16-billion-at-sprint-20130707-00017#ixzz2YQuzPFKO

What can they do with 16 billion into the New Sprint network?  How can they make this money back?

Cover 100mil+ with contiguous TD-LTE.

Then 200mil+.

thanks. If Sprint is going to expand won't they basically be buying spectrum as well when they buy out a regional.

If they were to buy out a regional, it would (likely) be for the spectrum, customers and their existing infrastructure.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that sprint will look at adding TD LTE to more high traffic sites that they didn't consider the first go around due to lack of funding? Even those that are not in urban areas.

If they were to buy out a regional, it would (likely) be for the spectrum, customers and their existing infrastructure.

figured that but I was just wondering how long it would take for us to be able to use it as native coverage

Does anyone think that sprint will look at adding TD LTE to more high traffic sites that they didn't consider the first go around due to lack of funding? Even those that are not in urban areas.

Yes. I think Sprint will add TD-LTE EVERYWHERE. Otherwise, what's its differentiator? Unlimited - or large amount of - data but they won't be able to sustain it without TD-LTE AND more backhaul.

Currently, their sites have ?100mbps? backhaul but if you do some quick math:

3 sectors x 25 mbps (PCS) x how many 5x5 blocks Sprint eventually has +

3 sectors x 25 mbps (800MHz) = 150mbps, assuming only the current G block for LTE

Wanna add TD-LTE? 

It'll be at least 61 mbps per sector

but the company's managing director of networks Günther Ottendorfer said that the network has achieved speeds as high as 61Mbps

http://www.zdnet.com/au/optus-readies-td-lte-network-in-canberra-7000015581/

3 sectors x 61 = 183 

183 + 150 = 333mbps

Oops. Looks like we need more backhaul.

Yes. I think Sprint will add TD-LTE EVERYWHERE. Otherwise, what's its differentiator? Unlimited - or large amount of - data but they won't be able to sustain it without TD-LTE AND more backhaul.

Currently, their sites have ?100mbps? backhaul but if you do some quick math:

3 sectors x 25 mbps (PCS) x how many 5x5 blocks Sprint eventually has +

3 sectors x 25 mbps (800MHz) = 150mbps, assuming only the current G block for LTE

Wanna add TD-LTE? 

It'll be at least 61 mbps per sector

but the company's managing director of networks Günther Ottendorfer said that the network has achieved speeds as high as 61Mbps[/size]

http://www.zdnet.com/au/optus-readies-td-lte-network-in-canberra-7000015581/

3 sectors x 61 = 183 

183 + 150 = 333mbps

Oops. Looks like we need more backhaul.

doesn't evdo share that backhaul as well?

I guess in about 48 hours time, this thread would've run its course :)

I do wonder if this deal would ever be told to the consumer-base. I remember that AT&T & T-Mobile introduced the deal on their site front pages...

doesn't evdo share that backhaul as well?

Yes, I think. That's the whole point of NV: all protocols run on the same (flexible) hardware, again I think.

That's why you saw the PR photos showing before/after pictures of the size and number of cabinets for the basestations.

Explain. Is it just a matter of hooking up to more ports at the fiber backbone?

scale up remotely, like you can on cable internet

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Explain. Is it just a matter of hooking up to more ports at the fiber backbone?

No additional ports needed.  I believe the Cisco router models I've seen in some basestation cabinets support 1 gigabit fiber.  All depends on the provider with what they can feed it.

• Like 2

No additional ports needed. I believe the Cisco router models I've seen in some basestation cabinets support 1 gigabit fiber. All depends on the provider with what they can feed it.

Would the cost of additional backhaul possibly cause Sprint to transition to Sprintlink?

What timeframe would that be?

Would the cost of additional backhaul possibly cause Sprint to transition to Sprintlink?

What timeframe would that be?

What site? How close is the Sprintlink? How much are the permits in that area? What contractors and when will they be available?

OK, now that the deal is close to closing, what has Sprint gotten out of the deal? $5B which is not enough to finance the Clearwire deal and payoff Clearwire debt. So in essence, Sprint is not that much better off financially. Asset wise, yes, but debt wise no. I am slightly dissapointed. Will Softbank be able to finance further acquisitions?

I just don't see how Sprint will be able to finance $16B in capex from operations.  I guess I'm from Missouri. Show me!