LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Well, do they have a track record or is this their first attemp at the big leagues?

I believe it started up when LG released their Optimus G phone but they are definitely stepping it up here by being the first Triband and snapdragon 800 CPU phone. Also it's supposedly America's first LTE-A enabled phone.

Interesting... like others I plan to wait for RF reports before jumping in on a new phone. First isn't always best as the EVO LTE showed us.

From what I hear, LG Optimus G has a great radio but LGs lower quality phones lack in the RF department. You're right though that there's a possibility the G2 can perform bad. It'll be a similar situation as HTC. Their first flagship Evo 4G was great but every flagship after that had not too well RF performance.

I talk on my Photon Q via BT and surf on 3G and 4G all the time. I realize it's unlikely to see SVDO on upcoming phones, but moving backwards x 2 with no SVLTE either kills it for me. And I prefer to have an sd card.

Was anyone able to tell from the Moto X FCC filing whether it will have SVDO or SVLTE?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Well, do they have a track record or is this their first attemp at the big leagues?

I agree with you in that in the past LG was known as a lower/mid tier phone maker for Sprint phones and other carriers as well.  However I think with the launch of the LG Optimus G in Fall 2012 was a big stepping stone in trying to make their presence known in the high end smartphone arena to challenge the HTC One X and Galaxy S3 high end smartphones.  LG quickly followed up with the launch of the LG Optimus G Pro in Spring 2013 to challenge the Galaxy Note 2 which I think the Optimus G Pro is a great phablet and is aggressively priced on ATT.  Unfortunately for the first year, I think LG wanted to test out their phablet on one carrier to see the demand.  I expect the LG Optimus G Pro 2 to launch on all carriers in Sprint 2014.

With the pending launch of the LG Optimus G 2 this Fall you can see that LG's strategy has completely change and they want to be known as a high end smartphone manufacturer.  Since this Optimus G 2 smartphone could be the only high end smartphone launched this Fall on Sprint with triband LTE and around  5 inch screen size (triband GS4 has not been confirmed yet), I can see Sprint customers who have upgrades to use this Fall jump on the Optimus G 2 due to the triband LTE capabilities.

I agree with you in that in the past LG was known as a lower/mid tier phone maker for Sprint phones and other carriers as well.  However I think with the launch of the LG Optimus G in Fall 2012 was a big stepping stone in trying to make their presence known in the high end smartphone arena to challenge the HTC One X and Galaxy S3 high end smartphones.  LG quickly followed up with the launch of the LG Optimus G Pro in Spring 2013 to challenge the Galaxy Note 2 which I think the Optimus G Pro is a great phablet and is aggressively priced on ATT.  Unfortunately for the first year, I think LG wanted to test out their phablet on one carrier to see the demand.  I expect the LG Optimus G Pro 2 to launch on all carriers in Sprint 2014.

With the pending launch of the LG Optimus G 2 this Fall you can see that LG's strategy has completely change and they want to be known as a high end smartphone manufacturer.  Since this Optimus G 2 smartphone could be the only high end smartphone launched this Fall on Sprint with triband LTE and around  5 inch screen size (triband GS4 has not been confirmed yet), I can see Sprint customers who have upgrades to use this Fall jump on the Optimus G 2 due to the triband LTE capabilities.

I agree completely but, in regards to customers upgrading because the phone has triband capability, I just don't know if the average customer will even realize this.  Do you think that Sprint will somehow advertise that the triband phones are capable of better signal strength (via 800 LTE) and faster data speeds (via 2600 LTE)?  They didn't really seem to make this known on the MiFi500, at least that I saw.  

But, back to the LG G2, I've been using the G for a while now.  Its a great phone... Great screen, very fast, great signal performer and good battery life. Not to mention great build quality and aesthetically pleasing.  I used to be an HTC fan and I really do like the HTC One but, after using multiple flagship Samsung, HTC and, now, an LG smartphones,  I will likely be an early adopter of this LG G2.

• Like 1

I agree completely but, in regards to customers upgrading because the phone has triband capability, I just don't know if the average customer will even realize this.  Do you think that Sprint will somehow advertise that the triband phones are capable of better signal strength (via 800 LTE) and faster data speeds (via 2600 LTE)?  They didn't really seem to make this known on the MiFi500, at least that I saw.  

But, back to the LG G2, I've been using the G for a while now.  Its a great phone... Great screen, very fast, great signal performer and good battery life. Not to mention great build quality and aesthetically pleasing.  I used to be an HTC fan and I really do like the HTC One but, after using multiple flagship Samsung, HTC and, now, an LG smartphones,  I will likely be an early adopter of this LG G2.

I am not saying that the triband LTE capability is the main selling point but rather a great incentive to buy it for those in the know.  I don't really expect the public to know whether it has triband LTE capability but maybe the Sprint CSRs could be told to advertise the triband LTE frequency band capabilities of the phone.

The phone itself has some exciting rumored specs and are a great selling point IMO:  Snapdragon S800 processor, 2 GB RAM, 5 or 5.2 in screen, 1080p screen, Android 4.2.2, triband LTE capability, 13 MP camera, etc.  The Snapdragon S800 processor chip itself tops the current Galaxy S4 and HTC One smartphones.

• Like 1

I agree with you in that in the past LG was known as a lower/mid tier phone maker for Sprint phones and other carriers as well.

Are you forgetting the LG Chocolate?  The Chocolate!

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=980

AJ

Are you forgetting the LG Chocolate?  The Chocolate!

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=980

AJ

Too many freakin people I knew had that stinker.  

After carrying 6 Fusic's and 4 Musiq's, I gave on on LG reliability. They were fine with RF, but were plagued with irregularity on just about everything else. 

Will be waiting with baited breath to read reviews and user opinions once in hand. 

LG has always been trying to make their presence known and to compete the big dogs but fail because of lack of support.  LG had the first dual core phone, LG had the first 3d phone, LG was one of the first with a 720p screen, LG was one of the first with a quad core device.  LG has a wide range of devices but they have always had a flagship device to run with the other big dogs but in the end they never supported their products.  LG would release a device and that would basically be it, on to the next device.  As of now there is no way I would sign a 2 years contract for any LG device regardless of whatever type of options it comes with and there is no way I would pay full pop for one either.  For anyone that is really interested in this device I would say wait a month or two and you will be able to get one on ebay for a couple hundred dollars.  The LG optimus pro is a prime example, great hardware but no one wanted it which meant you could have found great bargains on ebay, the same will happen with this device. 

How is LG with their current LG Optimus G and G PRO??  Are they updated these phones?  Or are these phones still on their original software version?

How is LG with their current LG Optimus G and G PRO??  Are they updated these phones?  Or are these phones still on their original software version?

This is what i want to know. How soon will updates come, and if Android 5.0 is released in Spring of 2014, will we get the update in the summer.

Yes, after I purchased the Optimus G they released an update about 6 months later from Ginger Bread to Jelly Bean.

The Optimus G never had Gingerbread. You may be thinking of the LG Viper

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

LG has always been trying to make their presence known and to compete the big dogs but fail because of lack of support.  LG had the first dual core phone, LG had the first 3d phone, LG was one of the first with a 720p screen, LG was one of the first with a quad core device.  LG has a wide range of devices but they have always had a flagship device to run with the other big dogs but in the end they never supported their products.  LG would release a device and that would basically be it, on to the next device.  As of now there is no way I would sign a 2 years contract for any LG device regardless of whatever type of options it comes with and there is no way I would pay full pop for one either.  For anyone that is really interested in this device I would say wait a month or two and you will be able to get one on ebay for a couple hundred dollars.  The LG optimus pro is a prime example, great hardware but no one wanted it which meant you could have found great bargains on ebay, the same will happen with this device. 

I think the LG Optimus G Pro only being available on ATT was just to test the market to see the demand for a Galaxy Note alternative.  Prices have gone dramatically on the device but who knows why the device didn't sell well.  From what I have been reading, the expectation for a phablet is to have a stylus along with a type of note application.  I wouldn't say the LG Optimus G Pro is a complete failure that they should scrap the whole project.  I think the LG Optimus G Pro 2 will be a better selling device especially if its coming to all carriers, comes with a stylus and is cheaper than the Galaxy Note 3.

I am curious to see if the HTC One MAX will come with a stylus for their phablet.  In the past HTC had the HTC flyer 7 inch tablet with a stylus so its not like entirely new territory for them.  But yes LG still needs to continually provide timely software updates to even have a shot of capturing any LG fanboys.

The Optimus G never had Gingerbread. You may be thinking of the LG Viper

Maybe I have my desserts mixed up, so I guess it was Ice Cream Sandwich that got updated to Jelly Bean.

Maybe I have my desserts mixed up, so I guess it was Ice Cream Sandwich that got updated to Jelly Bean.

Correct

Correct

Either way, this is good news.  It shows that LG does support their top phones after sales.  And as noted above, it sure seems like LG is putting a lot of effort into the G2 to make it top among all Android.  So, I assume/hope that LG would make G2 their priority.

• Like 1

i wonder why Sprint did testing on LTE Band 26 (800 MHz) with 1.4 and 10 MHz bandwidths on this phone?  According to the specs for the Samsung 800 RRU, it can only support 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths.  I assume the ALU and Ericcson 800 RRUs are built the same way with only 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths support.  I mean I guess it doesn't hurt but I don't see LTE roaming coming anytime soon nor do I see Verizon or ATT refarming the Cellular 850 MHz spectrum for LTE in the near future.

AJ, are you going to do an article of your FCC analysis of this LG Optimus G2 phone?  

Also I was looking at the Test Report in the FCC documents and I noticed that the nominal output power for Band 41 LTE was around 21 dBm.  Band 25 LTE was around 23 dBm. and Band 26 LTE was around 24 dBm. Is a nominal output power of 21 dBm good?

i wonder why Sprint did testing on LTE Band 26 (800 MHz) with 1.4 and 10 MHz bandwidths on this phone?  According to the specs for the Samsung 800 RRU, it can only support 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths.  I assume the ALU and Ericcson 800 RRUs are built the same way with only 3 and 5 MHz bandwidths support.  I mean I guess it doesn't hurt but I don't see LTE roaming coming anytime soon nor do I see Verizon or ATT refarming the Cellular 850 MHz spectrum for LTE in the near future.

USCC is deploying 850MHz LTE in order to get the iPhone. Maybe there's some kind of roaming agreement coming down the pipeline...

It's definitely a feature I would rather have, but now that I think of it, I've never used SVDO or SVLTE so it doesn't really bother me much.  I'm more of a texter than talker, anyways.

Yup, far from a deal breaker for me!  Just getting decent LTE reception and speed are paramount to me!

This will probably be my next phone also. Ive got the Optimus G and it has been one of the best phones I have owned. Quality and Performance.