Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

That presentation killed it!! Slide #34 is my favorite.

You're not kidding. Ergen wants all the pie to himself. Ki d of like me and fried chicken.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 7

C'mon guys, DishNetwork would never ever buy anything and just sit on it and not use it... MVDDS 2004 auction ;)http://www.mail-arch...m/msg00022.html Sad thing is they acquired even more licenses in later auctions and acquisitions.

And just to add to this in case you didn't want to google. DishNetwork has been sitting on 500mhz of spectrum that could be used for point to point wireless in many markets.

And just to add to this in case you didn't want to google. DishNetwork has been sitting on 500mhz of spectrum that could be used for point to point wireless in many markets.

Wait, what? Do elaborate please?

Wait, what? Do elaborate please?

Some of this is from memory as I have not had time to dig up the FCC stuff on it, but I remember the Dish acquired a bunch of MVDDS licenses (12.2ghz - 12.7ghz) back in 2004. I know they acquired even more at the second auction and/or a litigation(imagine that). Yes it is, 12ghz but it has and is being used by others in some areas for internet access. 500mhz is lot of room!

But how does 50 megabits at $29.95 sound using this band? ;)http://omgfast.com/offers.html

• Like 1

Some of this is from memory as I have not had time to dig up the FCC stuff on it, but I remember the Dish acquired a bunch of MVDDS licenses (12.2ghz - 12.7ghz) back in 2004. I know they acquired even more at the second auction and/or a litigation(imagine that). Yes it is, 12ghz but it has and is being used by others in some areas for internet access. 500mhz is lot of room!

But how does 50 megabits at $29.95 sound using this band? ;)http://omgfast.com/offers.html

Ahh yes, just read that.

I don't see where they could ever utilize that spectrum practically.

Does slide 36 remind anyone else of a famous Annie Liebovitz photographic juxtaposition?

4gno1y.jpg

amexad-731149.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

Ahh yes, just read that.

I don't see where they could ever utilize that spectrum practically.

I'll take it in heartbeat. I know many people who would as well that a stuck with no internet availability.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to derail the conversation on this. I was just proving a point as in just like their many other spectrum holdings they sit on them. Also another one which I was glad to see the FCC smack them down was their 148 degree west satellite license. FCC took it back after they finally had enough of Dish's lies.

• Like 2

Looks like Dish wants to play dirty in this fight.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/dish-raises-specter-softbanks-connection-utstarcom-bribery-allegations/2013-04-30

The battle between Japan's SoftBank and Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) for control of Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) is getting nastier, with Dish warning the FCC that it should take into account SoftBank's ties to UTStarcom, which settled bribery allegations in 2009 with the Department of Justice.

The filing by Dish comes shortly after SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son said his company will not raise its $20.1 billion offer for 70 percent of Sprint to compete with Dish's unsolicited $25.5 billion counterbid because he said SoftBank's offer is already superior. Son called Dish's offer "incomplete and illusory" and said Dish's offer "includes statements that are misleading."

In a filing with the FCC, Dish pointed to recent media reports form TR Daily and Politico about the DOJ investigation into UTStarcom, known as UTSI. The reports noted that in 2009 UTSI agreed to pay $1.5 million and admit to the DOJ that it had engaged in illegal bribery.

Specifically, the DOJ alleged that, starting in 2002 or earlier, UTSI gave bribes totaling around $7 million to Chinese government officials in exchange for telecommunications sales contracts, in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. According to the DOJ settlement, UTSI gave all-expenses-paid vacations to the employees and then improperly accounted for such trips as having a "training" purpose.

Son was chairman of UTSI from October 1995 until March 2003, and a board member until September 2004. UTSI is based in China and works primarily in the IPTV and wireline broadband markets.

"Dish believes that this information is relevant to the public interest analysis of the proposed transaction, and that it is incumbent up on the proposed transferee SoftBank to provide a full explanation of these matters," Dish said in the filing.

A Sprint spokesman declined to comment. A SoftBank spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The FCC is currently reviewing the SoftBank/Sprint deal, though Dish has asked the FCC to pause its review of the deal while Sprint's board considers Dish's own counterbid for Sprint. Sprint and SoftBank have said they think the deal can close by July 1 and Sprint has tentatively set June 12 for a shareholder vote on the transaction.

Dish's filing comes shortly after the company said its offer for Sprint "is better for the American consumer, better for Sprint's shareholders, and better for U.S. national security than the SoftBank proposal." Dish's comments were likely a reference to worries that Sprint could use equipment from Chinese vendors ZTE and Huawei in its network. U.S. regulators have warned that U.S. companies should not purchase equipment from ZTE and Huawei due to security concerns, a situation that the Chinese vendors have argued against.

• Like 1

Stupid Dish! The FCC should fine their asses for being vindictive!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 5

I guess Captain Howdy couldnt come up with any arguments to trump Son's assertion that Softbanks offer is superior, so he decided to get personal and spew gossip like the bridge burning earth scorching rancid shat eater he is ..... if softbank is denied permission to acquire sprint, I would love to see sprint buff charlie's offer and throw everyone with interest back on the table. Dish is not the "only" play sprint has in a post softbank situation

I desperately want a smear piece on charlies legal history to be pushed by a news source or tech site. From spectrum squatting to the cablevision/amc drama last year that revealed dish had been lying about customer numbers and trying to force product partnerships in return for agreements. There are several decades of skeletons in his closet

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts as a long time Sprint customer.

While Dish may have the ability to do a bit more in mobile video content, I do not see much synergy. I have comcast. I have 100mb internet service. Satellite internet speeds will not come near wired speeds in the next five years. Fibre is going to keep making inroads. I just do not see what I as a sprint customer get from a dish merger.

I am a Sprint share holder. When I look at what Softbank has done in the Japanese market, I think they have a good understanding of wireless. They have a track record as a value carrier. They also have committed funding. This merger is going to involve alot of debt. I think that Softbank's balance sheet is simply stronger than Dish. I stay with sprint for unlimited data. ATT has double the speed in my market at the moment. With Network Vision I will be getting close to the network performance of Verizon, but with unlimited data, and the advantage of knowing what I will pay every month. If Dish wins I do not see how they will keep unlimited data with the amount of debt they will take on to close this deal. I think Softbank understands the sprint customer base better than Dish. If I lose unlimited data why should I stay with Sprint. I simply will either go to Verizon, or a prepaid carrier.

I just have this feeling that Dish will run Sprint into the ground.

• Like 6

Not sure if anyone has linked to this article but here is Son's detailed mathematical response to why his companies offer is better than Dish's

http://blogs.wsj.com...cks-dishs-math/

Yup. we got this already with pictures courtesy of @Mercurial1 a few pages back.

He linked the PDF/slideshow from Son's presentation, with images, hence my new signature. In case you didn't want to browse back here is the link https://www.dropbox....ov/16849761.pdf

• Like 2

http://webcast.softb...0_02/index.html

Watching the video now, great!

Love the video. The ball is in Dish's court now. I would love to see Dish make a similar video to see why they think their deal is better than Softbank and make up for the lack of network expertise and vendor partnerships that Softbank has.

• Like 1

http://webcast.softb...0_02/index.html

Watching the video now, great!

Wow, simply awesome!!! Softbank laying the smack on Ergan/Dish

Holy crap, Masayoshi Son is very well spoken and seems to be incredibly intelligent. They way he is breaking down these complex transactions, complex networks is great. It doesn't seem like he is reading a teleprompter or being fed info, he is just shooting from memory.

• Like 6