Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

Dish won't make a video. Charlie will just pitch a fit and push the national security blah blah crap. Look how dirty they are with their directv ads. Almost deceptive in their commercials.

Sent from my Wicked SGS3 dongled with a Commodore 64.

• Like 4

Dish won't make a video. Charlie will just pitch a fit and push the national security blah blah crap. Look how dirty they are with their directv ads. Almost deceptive in their commercials.

Sent from my Wicked SGS3 dongled with a Commodore 64.

You are right, Dish won't make a video. I think its now up to the financial analysts to look at the presentation and dissect the numbers to see that Son is right and make recommendations that the Softbank deal is better than Dish.

The general public just sees the 25 billion from Dish vs. 20 billion from Softbank and assumes its a better deal due to more cash.

You are right, Dish won't make a video. I think its now up to the financial analysts to look at the presentation and dissect the numbers to see that Son is right and make recommendations that the Softbank deal is better than Dish.

The general public just sees the 25 billion from Dish vs. 20 billion from Softbank and assumes its a better deal due to more cash.

But the math is funny!

• Like 1

Love the video. The ball is in Dish's court now. I would love to see Dish make a similar video to see why they think their deal is better than Softbank and make up for the lack of network expertise and vendor partnerships that Softbank has.

Lol...I can't see that happening.

It's just crazy how this is all happening.

Son quote of the day: "Many people tell me Masa Son one man show of Softbank. Well, I'm not that much aggressive to get 85% voting power to myself. I'm behaving a little bit better."

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nex7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 6

Son quote of the day: "Many people tell me Masa Son one man show of Softbank."

Oh no, he speaks like Jar Jar Binks.

AJ

• Like 1

I was very surprised in the Q&A that it was suggested that Masa Son giving the presentation in English showed desperation on the Softbank front. I saw it as a great business decision, the people who are ultimately making this decision are a majority English speaking, American shareholders. Speaking to them in their language, telling them the truth about the two proposals in their native tongue is speaking directly to them. Explaining why the softbank proposal from 6 months ago is still worth more than the inflated Dish offer was great!

• Like 4

When the shareholder vote comes in, I am overwhelmingly in favor of the Softbank merger.

• Like 6

I was very surprised in the Q&A that it was suggested that Masa Son giving the presentation in English showed desperation on the Softbank front. I saw it as a great business decision, the people who are ultimately making this decision are a majority English speaking, American shareholders. Speaking to them in their language, telling them the truth about the two proposals in their native tongue is speaking directly to them. Explaining why the softbank proposal from 6 months ago is still worth more than the inflated Dish offer was great!

I agree with you, and it resonated, his English is actually quite good, all things considered.

• Like 2

Son went to college in the US, having command of English is unsurprising to me, and also reassuring that he knows what he is doing.

• Like 2

Son went to college in the US, having command of English is unsurprising to me, and also reassuring that he knows what he is doing.

I agree, but I know a lot of people who went to college here, who still have problems communicating.

His demeanor, body language, all speak to an educated man.

• Like 1

I agree, but I know a lot of people who went to college here, who still have problems communicating.

His demeanor, body language, all speak to an educated man.

Is there any kinda timeline on when we may have an answer on this SoftBank vs. Dish battle? I was with Sprint back when they bought Nextel and I left to go to VZW once they bought Alltel because I was rural at the time and Alltel had a tower in my moms back yard. But being back with Sprint now, I see the SoftBank deal being the only logical option here. The whole Dish deal seems like Next....disaster all over again! (Great video btw)

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Is there any kinda timeline on when we may have an answer on this SoftBank vs. Dish battle?

The meeting for Sprint shareholders to vote on the SoftBank bid is tentatively scheduled for June 12th.

• Like 1

The meeting for Sprint shareholders to vote on the SoftBank bid is tentatively scheduled for June 12th.

Good I'm sure there will be extensive coverage here at S4GRU. Hopefully common sense trumps money here.

Excellent presentation. They definitely have my vote on the SoftBank deal. The only part of the presentation I questioned was his take on Sprint not having full funding for Network Vision. To the best of my knowledge Sprint's management on prior Investor calls have stated the opposite.

So the shareholders vote on June 12th. What's the likelihood that the FCC/FBI/CIA/NSA/KAOS give approval before that date? Would it matter?

TS

Not sure bout the FBI/CIA/NSA/NTSF:SD:SUV, but I believe the "shot clock" by the fcc ends on May 29th.

I think it would make a considerable difference. With all regulatory matters behind them, they would just need shareholders to vote for the deal for the deal to be finalized. Dish would still have to wait for the regulators, which is probably why they continue to beg the FCC to postpone the process.

Investors would have to wait possibly a year if they go with the Dish deal, while the softbank deal would put money in their pockets in days if the regulatory approval is done.

So the shareholders vote on June 12th. What's the likelihood that the FCC/FBI/CIA/NSA/KAOS give approval before that date? Would it matter?

TS

I believe sometime in early July is when FCC will give the ruling on the proposed SoftBank/Sprint transaction.

Charlie has truly gone over the deep end. I guess when you can't come up with a decent rebuttal to SoftBank's points, a little xenophobia will have to suffice.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/02/sprint-dish-ergen-english-idUSL2N0DJ01120130502?feedType=RSS&feedName=cyclicalConsumerGoodsSector&rpc=43

Dish chairman asserts U.S. advantage in Sprint bid

NEW YORK | Wed May 1, 2013 10:57pm EDT

May 1 (Reuters) - Dish Network Corp Chairman Charlie Ergen escalated the war of words with Japan's SoftBank Corp over the future of U.S. mobile company Sprint Nextel Corp, saying Sprint's network needed modernization best performed by English-speaking employees from a U.S. company.

In an interview on Wednesday with USA Today, the country's third-largest newspaper, Ergen said Dish's American roots gave it an operational edge in the bidding war with SoftBank over Sprint.

"We're offering a higher price, that's just math. We are an American company and the modernization of Sprint's network will have to be done from the U.S.," he said.

"You have to climb the towers here and you'll have to have U.S. employees who speak English. Operations command control will be in America. That's good for jobs. It doesn't mean that the other guys are bad. It's just that we have an advantage."

The company later offered a statement after inquiries about Ergen's interview.

"While we hold SoftBank's management capabilities in high regard, we believe there are benefits to managing and operating Dish Sprint domestically," Dish Network said in a written statement.

No comment was immediately available from SoftBank due to a holiday in Japan.

Ergen's interview came a day after SoftBank President Masayoshi Son said Dish would cripple Sprint with debt and was ill-prepared to run a wireless service.

The billionaire Son, who attended high school and university in California, said there would be no need for SoftBank to sweeten its $20.1 billion bid, and he dismissed Dish's $25.5 billion offer as "incomplete and illusory."

Yet two prominent Sprint shareholders, Paulson & Co and Omega Advisors, have publicly said that the Dish offer looks better than SoftBank's.

Sprint has formed a special committee to consider Dish's bid.

• Like 3

"I just deliver the result instead of big-mouthing the future." - Masayoshi Son on Ergen

Love it! :lol:

Edited by PDXmike
  • Like 4

TS

The FCC's 180 day "shot clock" for approval ends on May 29. Yes it would matter. They would want approval before any vote, and would almost definitely delay a vote until an approval has happened.

• Like 1

As Ergen has absolutely "no expertise" in the mobile phone industry, maybe someone needs to clue him into the fact that Sprint employees don't actually climb the towers. Last I checked, that was handled by other (non-American) companies who subcontract the work out to American workers. What an idiot...

• Like 12

As Ergen has absolutely "no expertise" in the mobile phone industry, maybe someone needs to clue him into the fact that Sprint employees don't actually climb the towers. Last I checked, that was handled by other (non-American) companies who subcontract the work out to American workers. What an idiot...

My thoughts exactly lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2