Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

Don't say that...Charlie can wreak havoc using media outlets that will listen to his temper tantrums. It's proven already that they are enjoying his 'kid in the corner' tactics...and are just waiting for the next round of triple-E attempts

Triple-E = (E)rgen's (E)NFLATED (E)go

• Like 3

I'm worried that all that media attention could have a negative impact on the whole thing. Hopefully people are being intelligent about it and see the true roadmap, and not just idle speculation and secrets.

I could see Ergen trying to create a Dubai Ports style political firestorm. It will likely backfire though.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

if Dish had that super fast satellite internet service like the one in Florida I think I would love that sprint merger. I would be able to get cheap internet/ TV sign me up. BTW… I use to love dish before the N3 took over… the good ole days

So with the SEC giving the Softbank/Sprint deal the go ahead what else can Dish do to screw this up?

Quiet you! We don't want him to try anything else! We want him to sit in defeat and cower like a whipped pup because no one wants to do business with him.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Ergen isnt going to "disrupt" value ... he will not be offering 20 or 30 gigs a month of fixed home service for a ridiculous $30 price as suggested. No, he will offer just a smudge more than everyone else. He is a man obsessed with profits and nothing more. Getting to be fuhrer of sprint/dish isnt going to magically make him some kind of value fairy who puts an unusually advantageous offering out there. He will be reactive. It really wouldnt surprise me to see him go on a selling spree if he got sprint, dumping assets he doesnt feel are profitable to competitors to "lean up" the company.

• Like 1

if Dish had that super fast satellite internet service like the one in Florida I think I would love that sprint merger. I would be able to get cheap internet/ TV sign me up. BTW… I use to love dish before the N3 took over… the good ole days

That isn't satellite service, if you're talking about OMGFast (brought to you by the owners of Cablevision).

Also, that service requires perfect line of sight to work, and operates on spectrum that Dish owns in some areas. The return path doesn't have to be on cellular spectrum; OMGFast is using 3.65GHz.

Oh, and there's 500MHz of MV-DDS spectrum that the service sits on for downstream speed. That's more than Clearwire, Sprint and T-Mobile's holdings, combined...but you can't do nearly as much with the spectrum. Which is why Cablevision is trying to get approval to use the spectrum for (more lucrative, traditional) cellular backhaul.

HAH..Funny shit. I read the article by Mark Lowenstein, and I went to Twitter and tweeted this:

I can't believe @marklowenstein is considered an analyst after reading his crap about Sprint+Dish. Please tell me that was a joke article.May 3, 2013

I checked my email just a few minutes ago, lo and behold if because of that, I didn't get this:

http://i49.tinypic.com/15qp2qp.png

His Twitter says: Leading wireless industry analyst/consultant as Managing Director, Mobile Ecosystem. Former Exec at Verizon Wireless and Yankee Group. Publish Lens newsletter.

He's a leading wireless industry analyst???!!!

That's the case then we need new "leaders"

• Like 1

HAH..Funny shit. I read the article by Mark Lowenstein, and I went to Twitter and tweeted this:

I can't believe @marklowenstein is considered an analyst after reading his crap about Sprint+Dish. Please tell me that was a joke article.May 3, 2013

I checked my email just a few minutes ago, lo and behold if because of that, I didn't get this:

http://i49.tinypic.com/15qp2qp.png

His Twitter says: Leading wireless industry analyst/consultant as Managing Director, Mobile Ecosystem. Former Exec at Verizon Wireless and Yankee Group. Publish Lens newsletter.

He's a leading wireless industry analyst???!!!

That's the case then we need new "leaders"

Masayoshi Son, I believe, read that article. How can I tell? A lot of what he said debunked the Lowenstein article in his presentation.

Want another point for the SoftBank merger? Sprint and SoftBank would become the second biggest iPhone vendor and in a position to outgrow AT&T and become the world's largest iPhone vendor in the world. They also become the biggest vendor for Alcatel Lucent, Ericsson, Samsung's network unit, and Nokia Siemens Networks as well.

• Like 1

I just thought it was amusing that me, a nobody, gets followed and favorited by this guy who can sway people with his articles. I think he is an idiot just from reading that one article.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I just thought it was amusing that me, a nobody, gets followed and favorited by this guy who can sway people with his articles. I think he is an idiot just from reading that one article.

He looking for a little reacharound reciprocation, obviously.

• Like 3

I just thought it was amusing that me' date=' a nobody, gets followed and favorited by this guy who can sway people with his articles. I think he is an idiot just from reading that one article.

[/quote']

Start sharing things that are well explained and make sense on your twitter. Perhaps you can influence this boob to steal and write some things that make sense.

• Like 3

Start sharing things that are well explained and make sense on your twitter.

...all in 140 or fewer characters.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

This is hard. I cringe every time I have to make a choice on how to butcher English to make it all fit... :(

This is going way off topic, and we can move it to another thread if necessary.

As Twitter has long since grown beyond an SMS access and delivery system, is it time to increase the 140 character restriction and break some SMS compatibility? Or do emerging markets still rely on SMS for Twitter?

AJ

• Like 1

As Twitter has long since grown beyond an SMS access and delivery system, is it time to increase the 140 character restriction and break some SMS compatibility? Or do emerging markets still rely on SMS for Twitter?

AJ

Quite a few do. Off the top of my head, I believe India, Afghanistan, Iraq, and most of Africa's mobile users post tweets through SMS. Interestingly enough, Twitter counts multi-byte characters as a single character, which can cause issues for CJK and Indic languages being written through SMS on Twitter (since SMS counts multi-byte characters as a set of multiple single-byte characters).

Start sharing things that are well explained and make sense on your twitter. Perhaps you can influence this boob to steal and write some things that make sense.

Maybe he should join this site, only then will he actually learn something that's FACTUAL and based in reality....

Wherever his analytical info comes from needs a diaper change and possibly a bottle/pacifier.

• Like 2

AJ

A topic for the The Totally Off-Topic Thread for the Hell of it thread?

Some interesting tidbits about Sprint/Dish/Clearwire:

1. Sprint brought up the subject of a merger to Dish before Softbank bid but Dish was not interested

1a. Dish approached them about sharing the Clearwire spectrum after the Softbank bid but they are not interested

2. Dish is/was not really interested in Sprint but the Clearwire spectrum

3. The bid for Sprint is basically a hail mary

4. Dish is prepared to up it's bid

5. Dish is definitely interested in offering fixed broadband using its dishes to its customers just as we have speculated here

6. Dish/Ergen beleives that there will be a consolidation from 4 to 3 national players and Dish aims to be one of them.

http://www.bizjourna...facebook&page=1

I do believe that Sprint/Softbank will sell the EBS spectrum leases and network to Dish eventually, but not at fire sale prices. This is just a supremely played game of liars poker. Don't be surprised if Dish does pickup a long distance provider along the way particularly one with metro fiber loops.

Edited by bigsnake49

Some interesting tidbits about Sprint/Dish/Clearwire:

1. Sprint brought up the subject of a merger to Dish before Softbank bid but Dish was not interested

1a. Dish approached them about sharing the Clearwire spectrum after the Softbank bid but they are not interested

2. Dish is/was not really interested in Sprint but the Clearwire spectrum

3. The bid for Sprint is basically a hail mary

4. Dish is prepared to up it's bid

5. Dish is definitely interested in offering fixed broadband using its dishes to its customers just as we have speculated here

6. Dish/Ergen beleives that there will be a consolidation from 4 to 3 national players and Dish aims to be one of them.

http://www.bizjourna...facebook&page=1

I do believe that Sprint/Softbank will sell the EBS spectrum leases and network to Dish eventually' date=' but not at fire sale prices. This is just a supremely played game of liars poker. Don't be surprised if Dish does pickup a long distance provider along the way particularly one with metro fiber loops.[/quote']

I dont understand why Ergen cant just show a little restraint. He really is a "roadshow" , blathering on about anything he can to anyone who will listen. His disrespect for sprint wont change if he "wins" ... he claims to need sprints expertise in mobile , but when youre a hot headed penny pinching arsehole, does he really think he will retain that expertise? Would he even believe them? Does he realize how expensive and complicated network vision is? Does he undertand it isnt the final architecture needed to deploy his spectrum? I would love to see him go on a pissed off nonbelief rant about some NIMBYS or backhaul challenges or any of the hurdles sprint faces with network overhaul. Also, how are mobile video subscriptions fairing these days? I know there are things like slingbox and of course apps like hbogo and netflix . Have those been exploding with popularity? For me, watching tv on my phone was an awesome novelty in 2008 or 2009 ... now not so much. It just burns bandwidth and data unnecessarily.

• Like 3

Sprint makes it case for clearwire

http://db.tt/zT6Q79Yw

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty solid. Thanks for sharing.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Anyone want to make hypothetical guesses on what Ergen would do to our rate plans - or what premium he would demand from us for access to network/cable tv on our phones?

Im going to guess an 89.99 unlimited talk/text with 5 or so gigs before throttle and a 9.99 premium for his most basic tv package per phone, maybe 5 or so a la carte channel choices (or maybe several hours) streaming at a barely watchable compressed quality unless on wifi, then unlimited. Probably would forgo the premium content fee if you get a dish for the home. Probably cranks that up to 14.99, 19.99+ if you want more or arent willing to buy a premium channel package for your home dish.

Its not like uncle charlie can just merge two companies, increase ANYTHING and not charge more. Somebodys got to pay for all that debt and all that network revision at uncle charlies table.

• Like 3