Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

Ergen thinks that every tower has an operator sitting on top with a switchboard plugging in those 1/4" phono plugs for each call made. Did he really just insinuate Sprint employees doing tower subcontract work... No wonder he used to steal cable tv....

Sent from my Wicked SGS3 dongled with a Commodore 64.

Probably result in something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

The poetic aspect about the "South Park" clips is that Dish Network has long been headquartered in suburban Denver. As for use of the clips, I think that Matt and Trey would be proud...

AJ

• Like 5

At this point in time, the best that Dish can do is to:

1. Bite the bullet and wait for the Softbank/Sprint merger to complete and then try to buy the Clearwire network + some EBS leases from Sprint. I hope they elect this route.

2. Try to merge (not acquire T-Mobile)

3. Just get it's spectrum hosted by either Sprint or T-Mobile.

4. Sell its spectrum to AT&T

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Is there any kinda timeline on when we may have an answer on this SoftBank vs. Dish battle? I was with Sprint back when they bought Nextel and I left to go to VZW once they bought Alltel because I was rural at the time and Alltel had a tower in my moms back yard. But being back with Sprint now, I see the SoftBank deal being the only logical option here. The whole Dish deal seems like Next....disaster all over again! (Great video btw)

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure but I think I read there is a vote coming up soon?

• Like 1

I read that this morning and literally face-palmed.

Hahaha... I know a few people who install for Dish and a few ex-Dish installers. They literally hated doing any work for Charlie with his crazy rules and not paying for jobs when the customer screwed up the equipment the next week. I'm sure some of this same stuff will apply to the tower work and the contractors will just take their tools and equipment over to the other carriers that are waiting for skilled workers.

• Like 1

At this point in time, the best that Dish can do is to:

1. Bite the bullet and wait for the Softbank/Sprint merger to complete and then try to buy the Clearwire network + some EBS leases from Sprint. I hope they elect this route.

2. Try to merge (not acquire T-Mobile)

3. Just get it's spectrum hosted by either Sprint or T-Mobile.

4. Sell its spectrum to AT&T

I think Charlie has burned any bridge with Sprint at this point if the SoftBank deal goes through. The only way Sprint hosts the Dish Spectrum is on their own terms, not Charlie's ego driven megalomaniac terms. Same thing for buying the Clear network and EBS licenses, it will be at Sprint terms. Charlie will never go for that.

T-mobile/metro PCS need to get their post merger shit in order before another merger.

at&t just got a ton of WCS spectrum for their expansion, I'm not sure they are in the market for more 2Ghz+ spectrum.

I think Charlie's best bet is having T-Mobile host the spectrum, but their site density/rural coverage is junk. The major satellite TV users are rural because they can't get traditional cable.

The major satellite TV users are rural because they can't get traditional cable.

Don't always assume that. Being in a somewhat rural area but with cable readily available all over even in areas where Sprint is roaming on VZW. A huge majority of the people I know that have satellite TV have a cable modem sitting next to their router. Cable TV has just become overpriced in many areas and the cable companies have fallen way behind the times with their equipment.

• Like 2

Don't always assume that. Being in a somewhat rural area but with cable readily available all over even in areas where Sprint is roaming on VZW. A huge majority of the people I know that have satellite TV have a cable modem sitting next to their router. Cable TV has just become overpriced in many areas and the cable companies have fallen way behind the times with their equipment.

Very true, I was an urban dwelling DirecTV customer with a Comcast cable modem.

The cable companies just recently started offering internet service where I live. So for a long time I had AT&T internet, Sprint phone, and Comcast cable. Now I have RTC (Reserve Telephone Co.) internet, Comcast cable, and Sprint phones. This was because the cable companies didn't have the 2 way communication fiber for high speed net in this area. Its not uncommon around here to see satellite dishes in the yard and cable/DSL modems in the house. I know I have the setup that I do because the pricing for the services from the cable companies are so erratic that it doesn't make sense to bundle all my services with one of them. Its just cheaper to get them one by one from whoever has the best price for my needs.

Also, no 2 way fiber meant no digital cable. Another reason why satellites were so popular around here.

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nex7 using Tapatalk HD

But that brings up an interesting point. Isn't it more expensive to have DirecTV for TV and _____ cable company for internet?

I currently have Verizon FiOS at home, for phone, internet, and domestic TV, and Dish Network strictly for international channels. I didn't have any other way of appeasing the family and still maintaining a decent cost structure. If I were to cancel my Verizon TV, I would in effect pay more for phone and internet, and lose any bundle pricing discount.

But that brings up an interesting point. Isn't it more expensive to have DirecTV for TV and _____ cable company for internet?

I currently have Verizon FiOS at home, for phone, internet, and domestic TV, and Dish Network strictly for international channels. I didn't have any other way of appeasing the family and still maintaining a decent cost structure. If I were to cancel my Verizon TV, I would in effect pay more for phone and internet, and lose any bundle pricing discount.

No, for me it was the same price to get internet and/or TV from the cable co regardless of the bundle. I refuse to even acknowledge their over priced home phone. So many alternatives... I like the free Google Voice for home phone anyways. DirecTV was MUCH cheaper than Cox cable and offered so much more in my setup, multi-room viewing, 7 HD recordings at one time, dual market HD locals, ability to take the HD receiver to the camp on the weekends, tons of storage, etc. Win-win for me.

• Like 1

For the service I received, no. At the time Comcast cable was lacking many HD channels and the STBs were terrible. Moving to DirecTV I got the channels I wanted and almost all in HD, I got top quality STBs and much better support. I paid about $20/month more out of pocket, but the service level more than enough made up for small cost increase.

• Like 1

No, for me it was the same price to get internet and/or TV from the cable co regardless of the bundle. I refuse to even acknowledge their over priced home phone. So many alternatives... I like the free Google Voice for home phone anyways. DirecTV was MUCH cheaper than Cox cable and offered so much more in my setup, multi-room viewing, 7 HD recordings at one time, dual market HD locals, ability to take the HD receiver to the camp on the weekends, tons of storage, etc. Win-win for me.

Ok cool, you're lucky in that regard. I have to manage people at home, so I can't cut the cord completely, but that makes sense.

Ok cool, you're lucky in that regard. I have to manage people at home, so I can't cut the cord completely, but that makes sense.

Not sure what you mean but I'm far from cord cutting. 2-3 standard cordless phones that you would not know is using Google Voice, TV in most rooms with DVR access, 4 or 5 Wifi SSIDs on separate VLANs, Airave, Zwave home automation for lighting and heating/cooling, IP security cameras, sector panel pointing to the park for only my family to use wifi, etc. Pay no attention to the tingling sensation when you walk in the door...

• Like 3

Not sure what you mean but I'm far from cord cutting. 2-3 standard cordless phones that you would not know is using Google Voice, TV in most rooms with DVR access, 4 or 5 Wifi SSIDs on separate VLANs, Airave, Zwave home automation for lighting and heating/cooling, IP security cameras, sector panel pointing to the park for only my family to use wifi, etc. Pay no attention to the tingling sensation when you walk in the door...

I mean from a local number perspective. I'm still paying Verizon for the triple play package. I'm sure once I get my own place, I might look at completely going wireless.

I mean from a local number perspective. I'm still paying Verizon for the triple play package. I'm sure once I get my own place, I might look at completely going wireless.