Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

The biggest issue I see with Dish buying sprint is DEBT.

Charlie is pulling out all the stops to make this deal even a possibility.

Bottom line:

The two companies, combined, would have too much debt to effectively utilize all of the spectrum they would have to properly execute any sort of business plan.

Softbank is throwing a lot of money into Sprint because of the foundation that Sprint has and the opportunity of building on that foundation with Clearwire's spectrum to offer a mobile experience that rivals can't match - IE they would actually offer hugely disruptive services that the established incumbents wouldn't be able to duplicate. This is a similar strategy that Softbank deployed in Japan which was hugely successful.

Sure, Sprint shareholders might be pleased but let's not forget about Sprint bondholders - they wouldn't be pleased one bit.

Basically, Dish would be too levered to do anything meaningful with the solid sprint foundation that's being laid. Softbank, however, is primed to build.

• Like 8

Bottom line:

The two companies, combined, would have too much debt to effectively utilize all of the spectrum they would have to properly execute any sort of business plan.

Softbank is throwing a lot of money into Sprint because of the foundation that Sprint has and the opportunity of building on that foundation with Clearwire's spectrum to offer a mobile experience that rivals can't match - IE they would actually offer hugely disruptive services that the established incumbents wouldn't be able to duplicate. This is a similar strategy that Softbank deployed in Japan which was hugely successful.

Sure, Sprint shareholders might be pleased but let's not forget about Sprint bondholders - they wouldn't be pleased one bit.

Basically, Dish would be too levered to do anything meaningful with the solid sprint foundation that's being laid. Softbank, however, is primed to build.

Forbes said in a article yesterday to the tune of around $45 billion in debt after it was said and done If it were to happen

Said Softbank was the best fit for Sprint.

• Like 10

Bottom line:

Bondholders are apparently not too happy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-18/sprint-lenders-clash-with-owners-on-dish-bid-corporate-finance.html

• Like 4

Anyone ready for some FUD?

Dish: Our offer for Sprint is better 'for national security' than SoftBank offer

Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) asked the FCC to pause its review of Japanese operator SoftBank's proposed acquisition of 70 percent of Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) while Sprint's board considers Dish's own counterbid for Sprint. Dish said its offer for Sprint "is better for the American consumer, better for Sprint's shareholders, and better for U.S. national security than the SoftBank proposal."

Read more: Dish: Our offer for Sprint is better 'for national security' than SoftBank offer - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewir...8#ixzz2QqweIFMb

• Like 1

Anyone ready for some FUD?

This article made me laugh so hard that I had non-stop hiccups, belching fits and nearly sharted myself to death after having previously vomited in my mouth.

I invite Ergen to correlate his brain farts to the present ownership interests of the other big wireless carriers... As Katt Williams once said, "Don't worry, I'll wait..........."

• Like 7

Would this takeover be a material change to our agreement to cancel service? Don't want no Dish takeover...

While I certainly understand your position, I highly doubt that a Dish takeover would equate to a get out of ETF free card.

While I certainly understand your position, I highly doubt that a Dish takeover would equate to a get out of ETF free card.

that's a bummer... too bad we the subscribers have no say in this.

Captain Howdy has taken his fantasy to the FCC now, trying to postpone the softbank/sprint approval. It amazes me that he seems to consider sprint incompetent in speaking for itself. He also plays no role in the approval of the softbank/sprint tie up. Just more rhetoric from the cap'n .

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-18/dish-asks-fcc-to-defer-action-on-softbank-bid-for-sprint.html

• Like 3

Captain Howdy has taken his fantasy to the FCC now, trying to postpone the softbank/sprint approval. It amazes me that he seems to consider sprint incompetent in speaking for itself. He also plays no role in the approval of the softbank/sprint tie up. Just more rhetoric from the cap'n .

Indeed. FCC approval is just that -- approval to go forward. But it certainly does not consummate the deal.

Let the FCC finish its review, say yea or nay, and then the Sprint board can consider its options.

AJ

• Like 5

Well, its not a rumor, it's a Wall Street Journal article they're referencing. I didn't bother linking direclty to it though because you have to have a subscription to view it unfortunately.

• Like 1

Sprint sets up special committee to evaluate Dish offer:

I am only 35 miles away. I had my ringer silenced and must have missed the call to join the committee. Damn.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

I am only 35 miles away. I had my ringer silenced and must have missed the call to join the committee. Damn.

;)

AJ

I thought you would have the inside information for us. Come on AJ, you have to get to Overland Park to be briefed by Hesse on what Sprint is going to do. :)

I thought you would have the inside information for us. Come on AJ, you have to get to Overland Park to be briefed by Hesse on what Sprint is going to do. :)

Sure. I will set up shop with my spectrum analyzer on the Sprint Campus. Then, I will make you my one phone call to come bail me out.

AJ

• Like 2

Sure. I will set up shop with my spectrum analyzer on the Sprint Campus. Then, I will make you my one phone call to come bail me out.

AJ

I'm in the car. I'll be able to make it to KC in six hours after driving across the blackness we call "rural Missouri." :)