T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Who needs more than 8mbps? As long as it is consistent, that should be the cap. Frankly it drives me nuts when I see someone online bragging on using their Sprint connection has their home connection and using 100GB+ probably downloading illegal material.

We'll need more that 8mbps soon to stream 4K video.  :-)

• Like 1

I'm shocked T-Mobile is giving max speed at 8mbps. Why not let them have full speed until they hit their cap? T-Mobile is the data strong network and has the more bandwidth per customer so it should be able to handle it until their cap is hit. They already do it with the regular plans. Maybe the network is starting to slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph

I'm shocked T-Mobile is giving max speed at 8mbps. Why not let them have full speed until they hit their cap? T-Mobile is the data strong network and has the more bandwidth per customer so it should be able to handle it until their cap is hit. They already do it with the regular plans. Maybe the network is starting to slow.

I think it's simply to incentivize using a postpaid plan.

• Like 2

That's my point lol maybe they are showing down

Edited by IsaiahL

Try streaming 4k video with out the compression that tv uses and you will reach your throttle point in no time. Cell carriers don't have the compression codec that broadcasters have. One 2 hour movie in 4k uncompressed would make blue ray seem small.

• Like 2

Try streaming 4k video with out the compression that tv uses and you will reach your throttle point in no time. Cell carriers don't have the compression codec that broadcasters have. One 2 hour movie in 4k uncompressed would make blue ray seem small.

Actually, no. It doesn't matter whether it is broadcasters or cell carriers, video is never delivered uncompressed anymore. Upcoming 4K content will be compressed with either VP9 or H.265, both of which can offer 4K video at roughly the same bit rate and size ratios as HD video with VP8 and H.264. Uncompressed digital video would take far more capacity than what a 6MHz channel can offer.

And incidentally, Blu-ray video is encoded the same way. 

• Like 2

What can anyone really do with 8mb, my real question would be is why is TM, limiting their customers and it's 4G bandwidth?

Hmmm...

I can do quite a bit with 8mb. Oh wait

I need a 890mb connection to show off my...

What do you call it AJ?

Hmmm...

I can do quite a bit with 8mb. Oh wait

I need a 890mb connection to show off my...

What do you call it AJ?

Lol 890mb? Now that's unnecessary I'm go with 15-25 the B25. Pretty sure I could do anything with 15-25mb

Nokia is up to 4.1 Gb with TDD-FDD Carrier Aggregation. That said, it probably won't be available ever except for extreme commercial applications and that would be in 2020.

Actually, no. It doesn't matter whether it is broadcasters or cell carriers, video is never delivered uncompressed anymore. Upcoming 4K content will be compressed with either VP9 or H.265, both of which can offer 4K video at roughly the same bit rate and size ratios as HD video with VP8 and H.264. Uncompressed digital video would take far more capacity than what a 6MHz channel can offer.

And incidentally, Blu-ray video is encoded the same way.

The world will never live with one single codec standard.

So as good as Mpx or h.26x is, there will always be variations to deal with, different hardware/software applications.

I went to pop my head in at Tmo news and the comments about those new prepaid plan are comedy they are literally going at each other's throats about coverage and LTE. Geeze people really take this carrier thing so serious like their lives depend on it.

• Like 2

I went to pop my head in at Tmo news and the comments about those new prepaid plan are comedy they are literally going at each other's throats about coverage and LTE. Geeze people really take this carrier thing so serious like their lives depend on it.

I think it's time that PhoneDog hire someone who is a T-Mobile user who knows what the strengths and limitations of that network is and can shoot straight, and more importantly, know what he is talking about. 

• Like 1

I think it's time that PhoneDog hire someone who is a T-Mobile user who knows what the strengths and limitations of that network is and can shoot straight, and more importantly, know what he is talking about.

Yes cause everyone has a opinion on it all. I saw three different buildout plans with T-Mobiles coverage. But really who knows exactly what's going on besides the execs at T-Mobile. They release info and people interpret it how they want and that's when the clashing starts. We all should just sit back and see what T-Mobile does.

Edited by derrph

Yes cause everyone has a opinion on it all. I saw three different buildout plans with T-Mobiles coverage. But really who knows exactly what's going on besides the execs at T-Mobile. They release info and people interpret it how they want and that's when the clashing starts. We all should just sit back and see what T-Mobile does.

Also, who here is Mr. Paul? :)

Also, who here is Mr. Paul? :)

lol he was all over the comments and that Fabian guy going back and forth. I should have ate some popcorn while I read their interaction.

Wow...the comments on tmo news are hilarious. I like Mr. Paul...he argues with Fabian and that makes me happy.

He does make some good points interspersed with the obvious and blatant trolling. I have to give him that much credit.

• Like 3