T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Mr. Paul makes me crack up!  :lol:  Even with his little bit of Sprint bashing here and there I still find it funny.

"I would end arguments way quicker if there were more 16+ year-olds on here instead of 10-12 year olds boys and tweens." Mr. Paul

This dude is awesome!

• Like 1

I went to pop my head in at Tmo news and the comments about those new prepaid plan are comedy they are literally going at each other's throats about coverage and LTE. Geeze people really take this carrier thing so serious like their lives depend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well think about it. Cellular and internet have become more important than TV
  • Like 1

The new map data Verizon sourced from Mosaik is interesting:

And how does Mosaik source this coverage info?  I truly would like to know, but I do not think that methodology has ever been revealed.

No matter.  My point is this:  I do not buy that T-Mobile has such extensive band 2 rural LTE footprint.  TmoNews -- editor and readers -- does not seem to buy it either.  The map appears to be a projection, not a current snapshot.

I really wish that honest network deployment info were available for all operators.  However, S4GRU is basically alone in that regard.

AJ

• Like 3

And how does Mosaik source this coverage info? I truly would like to know, but I do not think that methodology has ever been revealed.

No matter. My point is this: I do not buy that T-Mobile has such extensive band 2 rural LTE footprint. TmoNews -- editor and readers -- does not seem to buy it either. The map appears to be a projection, not a current snapshot.

I really wish that honest network deployment info were available for all operators. However, S4GRU is basically alone in that regard.

AJ

Legere announced they cover 265mik with lte. Those pops had To come from somewhere.

Legere announced they cover 265mik with lte. Those pops had To come from somewhere.

In no way does that address my question and concern.

Try again with something substantive.  Or please be quiet.

Thanks, maximus, or whomever you are...

AJ

• Like 2

And how does Mosaik source this coverage info? I truly would like to know, but I do not think that methodology has ever been revealed.

No matter. My point is this: I do not buy that T-Mobile has such extensive band 2 rural LTE footprint. TmoNews -- editor and readers -- does not seem to buy it either. The map appears to be a projection, not a current snapshot.

I really wish that honest network deployment info were available for all operators. However, S4GRU is basically alone in that regard.

AJ

I can only speak to a very small geographic area, but T-Mobile's band 2 deployment has made ridiculous strides in my neck in the last 6 months. In Mississippi, MS-25 from Starkville to Jackson, US-45 from Starkville to Meridian, I-59 from Meridian to Slidell, LA, I-10 from Slidell to Mobile, AL, and I-55 south from Jackson until native coverage ends right before Brookhaven, are all more or less complete, I would estimate north of 95%.

In southeast Louisiana I've seen all of the existing 3G infrastructure go to full modernization finally, as well as some Band 2 (and Band 4) full in along I-12. I-10 is almost solid LTE from Slidell past Defuniak Springs, FL.

To say that the network progress hasn't been extensive is in my eyes, very short sighted. T-Mobile users aren't nearly as Sensorly happy as the Sprint faithful. But it's filling in.

I have full reason to believe that T-Mobile has brought the Mississippi Delta online due to that buildout being relatively recent (circa ~2007 I believe) and they may have had better backhaul in place or readily available from Telepak Networks.

I'll be the first to bemoan the fact that it's a half-__sed band-aid solution, I want RRH, I want UMTS layer(s), I want those old copper feeder cables and antennas replaced, but the simple truth is that for the vast majority of consumers, they see the LTE indicator, and the data actually works now, and that suffices to appease them. And frankly, since I have seen more work done on the network in this area in 6 months than I have in nearly 10 years as a subscriber, I'm beginning to care less, because progress is good, and I'm getting a hell of a lot more use out of my dollars to Bellevue these days.

I too would love to see Mosaik's source for this. I also want to see honest data for all carriers, T-Mobile not withstanding, but the likelihood of that happening, well that's a funny joke I think.

• Like 2

I can only speak to a very small geographic area, but T-Mobile's band 2 deployment has made ridiculous strides in my neck in the last 6 months. In Mississippi, MS-25 from Starkville to Jackson, US-45 from Starkville to Meridian, I-59 from Meridian to Slidell, LA, I-10 from Slidell to Mobile, AL, and I-55 south from Jackson until native coverage ends right before Brookhaven, are all more or less complete, I would estimate north of 95%.

In southeast Louisiana I've seen all of the existing 3G infrastructure go to full modernization finally, as well as some Band 2 (and Band 4) full in along I-12. I-10 is almost solid LTE from Slidell past Defuniak Springs, FL.

To say that the network progress hasn't been extensive is in my eyes, very short sighted. T-Mobile users aren't nearly as Sensorly happy as the Sprint faithful. But it's filling in.

I have full reason to believe that T-Mobile has brought the Mississippi Delta online due to that buildout being relatively recent (circa ~2007 I believe) and they may have had better backhaul in place or readily available from Telepak Networks.

I'll be the first to bemoan the fact that it's a half-__sed band-aid solution, I want RRH, I want UMTS layer(s), I want those old copper feeder cables and antennas replaced, but the simple truth is that for the vast majority of consumers, they see the LTE indicator, and the data actually works now, and that suffices to appease them. And frankly, since I have seen more work done on the network in this area in 6 months than I have in nearly 10 years as a subscriber, I'm beginning to care less, because progress is good, and I'm getting a hell of a lot more use out of my dollars to Bellevue these days.

I too would love to see Mosaik's source for this. I also want to see honest data for all carriers, T-Mobile not withstanding, but the likelihood of that happening, well that's a funny joke I think.

It's also made next to no progress in other areas due to, you guessed it, backhaul issues (namely Century Link).

If the Mosaik LTE coverage claim is true, when will Tmo's own coverage maps acknowledge it? I don't understand how Tmo's own maps could so grossly understate it? 

Unfortunately, the coverage map platform isn't set up yet to handle LTE 1900 coverage data. That's being added through updates to the coverage map platform on January 25.

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/01/deutsch-telekom-chief-was-intrigued-by-the-idea-of-combining-with-sprint-to-create-super-maverick/

Sounds like DT is still holding out hope of leaving the US market at some point... And Sprint/T-Mobile could resurrect at some point.

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/01/deutsch-telekom-chief-was-intrigued-by-the-idea-of-combining-with-sprint-to-create-super-maverick/

Sounds like DT is still holding out hope of leaving the US market at some point... And Sprint/T-Mobile could resurrect at some point.

So in other words the success of T-Mobile will be short lived and he sees it on the horizon.

I guess cause SoftBank has the financial backing and sprint has the spectrum he feels it would be a good fit but I don't think this route should be taken again. With all the success they have had these past two years I'm sure there are other companies that would like to pick up T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

He didn't strictly say that DT would leave. He wants a merger. There's no reason it couldn't be the other way around if Sprint continues to flounder around in the market for a year or two.

"On a less positive note, Hoettges also stated that T-Mobile’s current approach isn’t sustainable in the long-term. Between $4B and $5B investment is needed each year to keep it up."

Noticeably absent from Legere's morning twitter buzz.  Hmm.  

• Like 2

DT is free to leave. Lockup period is over.

We don't need this distraction again. Sprint needs to continue working on their 2.5ghz and 800 LTE deployments. This type of thing would only work if a Republican administration takes over in January of 2017.we don't know how the political climate will play out.

Any rational person that knows business should had known that the uncarrier stuff was to make tmobile attractive for a sale. I am sure the twin bells lobby money will push for a merger to go through since they want the status quo and higher prices.

• Like 2

"On a less positive note, Hoettges also stated that T-Mobile’s current approach isn’t sustainable in the long-term. Between $4B and $5B investment is needed each year to keep it up."

Noticeably absent from Legere's morning twitter buzz.  Hmm.  

Insofar as T-Mobile's capex levels, I personally expect that T-Mobile's capex levels will ease off in 2016 (if the 600MHz auction doesn't happen) or 2017 if the auction does happen. Once it completes its geographic expansion in 2016, the overwhelming majority of its capex spend is no longer necessary.

As for Sprint, its $10-18 billion $6 billion each year for capex with no return isn't sustainable either. Something has to give there too.