SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Those are the same that I am seeing so far. The majority of sites follow the normal setup. The sites with more than 3 panels appear to be the problem child.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

I also found 2 different towers that use 01, 02, and 03. So much for consistency.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Those are the same that I am seeing so far. The majority of sites follow the normal setup. The sites with more than 3 panels appear to be the problem child.

I also found 2 different towers that use 01, 02, and 03. So much for consistency.

I can work with that.. I just want to make sure there are no band 25 sites with sectors labeled 0F or higher. That would be in direct conflict with band 26 sites elsewhere.

-Mike

• Like 1

01, 02, 03 show as band 25 as they should. That's how most of the sites are.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

01, 02, 03 show as band 25 as they should. That's how most of the sites are.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

Yes, that's correct. It shows as correct in signal check pro. I was just commenting on the lack of consistency in my area.

Couple questions the bsl in the dropdown shouldn't it be with 1x now its with data notification box. When I connect to 1x only the bsl wouldn't show because I have hide duplicate 1x enabled.

Great point.. I will have to figure out how to handle this. I put it on the data pulldown because not everyone uses two icons. But, when you are only connected to 1X and hide duplicate icons, I have the data icon hidden, since the 1X one has more useful information at that point.

When you log is there a little delay to let things settle before you add to the log? I saw it logged a gmo as having 1x800 everything in the log looked correct but it's a gmo. I have had issues at my house when it will jump between towers with 800 and that gmo site and it will show that gmo tower as having 800. I cleared the log to try to reproduce it I couldn't yet maybe this weekend I will check it out again.

There is no delay before entries are added to the log; if the Site Logger is enabled, entries are added/updated as they are connected to, and there is some error checking (to prevent bogus interim values like SID 0 from appearing in the log). Same with site notes, as soon as you hit "Save", it is written to the database. If it happens again, send me the database file or CSV export of it, and I will take a look at it to see what might be happening.

-Mike

I can work with that.. I just want to make sure there are no band 25 sites with sectors labeled 0F or higher. That would be in direct conflict with band 26 sites elsewhere.

-Mike

Yes very different aspects on different OEMs.  On AT&T with Ericsson gear, they do the 0F, 10, 11 for Band 17, then 16, 17, 18 for Band 4.  The PCIs are in order, no 169 offset, (ex: 231, 232, 233).  If you drop the sector number, convert to decimal, add 4000, and convert back to hex this will give you the GCI for the Band 4 side of the site.  Interesting the different designs and such between companies and OEMs.

Mike, 

I am getting some errors with GCI in the log. I'm not sure what exactly is going on but it should be 05610E02 and 05610E01. This is what comes up in the log.

5.61E+05

5.61E+04

Another 

4.90E+01

should be 49E00##

Another 

5.63E+05

should be 05628E02

Edit: I found the problem, Excel thinks that its an equation of some sort.

Milan, please go to About > Send Diagnostics when you are connected to LTE without a GCI, and I can take a look to see if there are any errors that I can address on my end. Chances are the radio firmware isn't programmed to report it, in which case it's up to Samsung to fix it.

-Mike

Sent! 

Thank you, Mike.

This is kind of tricky to explain and will probably make some heads spin, but I will try to be as clear as possible..

When you connect to an LTE site, the app queries the database looking for the first entry that matches the first (left) 6 characters of the GCI. As soon as it finds a match, it grabs that note and does not look any further. I believe by "first entry", it would be the entry that appears in the database first without any sorting/filtering applied.

No head spinning here, exactly how I thought it was designed;updates and select statements in SQL based on the first 6.  I do understand the wrestling with different things.  In order to cover this "what if" of one sector getting a name and not the other is, I would do something like this on your lookup:

select max(user_note) from sites_lte where substr(gci,1,6) = '02D2B2'

I think in my script for the CSV import I'm going to duplicate the three rows in order to have all the sites in there.  Curious to see the lookup speed with 1000+ rows.  Will test it with an index as well.

Mike, 

I am getting some errors with GCI in the log. I'm not sure what exactly is going on but it should be 05610E02 and 05610E01. This is what comes up in the log.

5.61E+05

5.61E+04

Another 

4.90E+01

should be 49E00##

Another 

5.63E+05

should be 05628E02

I believe there is an option in the settings to prevent this.

• Like 1

Its a bit late, but this is update is great! One update down and one to go...come on Google:P.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sent! 

Thank you, Mike.

Annnnnnd it confirmed my fears/suspicions.. there are no errors, your Tmo S5 (like many other Samsungs) is not reporting any LTE identity data at all. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of their enginerrs to add the functionality into the baseband. I'm disappointed that a brand new high-end phone running the latest OS does not populate these methods. They are part of the base Android code, it cannot be that difficult to add the functionality.  :(

-Mike

Hmm.. I'm guessing this bug is isolated to HTC phones, because the app has more than one method to grab the GCI on those devices, and I think you are both on an HTC based on your profiles. If you could make some site notes on various sites (if it lets you) and then send me the database file or a .CSV export of it, it might help me troubleshoot it a little quicker.

-Mike

Contrary to my profile (I think it lists an Evo LTE) I am using a heavily modified HTC One (M7). If it doesn't appear to be happening on every HTC phone its likely the rom I am running (sense 6). Do you need me to try a stock rom or have you heard this from all HTC owners?

5.61E+05

5.61E+04

I believe there is an option in the settings to prevent this.

Not an equation, but you're close.. Excel interprets any values that only contain the letter E surrounded by numbers as scientific notation. The only way around it is to add some non-numbers to the value, so I added a couple of options to the Logger Preferences to tackle that. I should have mentioned that earlier, thank you digiblur for jumping in! If anyone prefers additional formatting options, I should be able to add them.

I do understand the wrestling with different things.  In order to cover this "what if" of one sector getting a name and not the other is, I would do something like this on your lookup:

select max(user_note) from sites_lte where substr(gci,1,6) = '02D2B2'

I think in my script for the CSV import I'm going to duplicate the three rows in order to have all the sites in there.  Curious to see the lookup speed with 1000+ rows.  Will test it with an index as well.

Ooooh it had been awhile since I did much with databases, I forgot about the MAX function. That should resolve any issues with sites not having a note listed for every sector. It would only happen if someone manually edited (or imported data into) the database, but there is no reason why I can't guard against it. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Mike

• Like 1

Oh that's great! Maybe the GCI will appear for Sprint users with KitKat and beyond then, not necessarily Spark devices. I believe the original release of the S4T did not show GCI on Jelly Bean.

-Mike

I can only speak for the standard S4, but I did see the GCI info on the towers I have connected to. You're right, it could be a KitKat thing ... maybe they (Samsung) did adjust the firmware to allow it to report. 

-Mike

From Front Royal to Hagerstown I'm only getting 09, 0A, and 0B as oddball. I think we can assume that's it for the oddballs. I'm still trying to figure a pattern out for them but no luck yet.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

• Like 1

Contrary to my profile (I think it lists an Evo LTE) I am using a heavily modified HTC One (M7). If it doesn't appear to be happening on every HTC phone its likely the rom I am running (sense 6). Do you need me to try a stock rom or have you heard this from all HTC owners?

I don't know if it is happening on every HTC phone, I just noticed that those of you reporting the issue appear to be using HTCs. I did think it was odd that your report seemed to be missing some of the data that I usually see from an HTC, but the custom ROM explains that. You probably don't need to try a stock ROM; the app is successfully getting the GCI, it's probably something on my end that I missed in the HTC-specific routine.

-Mike

• Like 1

mikejeep, great update!  I read back a few pages and didn't see this addressed.  Perhaps there's already a method, but I've been adding tower notes on all my LTE towers.  Is there a way to export that, then import that into a new phone?  I'm going to upgrading to the S5 soon and don't want to lose all my work! 

mikejeep, great update!  I read back a few pages and didn't see this addressed.  Perhaps there's already a method, but I've been adding tower notes on all my LTE towers.  Is there a way to export that, then import that into a new phone?  I'm going to upgrading to the S5 soon and don't want to lose all my work! 

Copy the /data/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/databases/signalcheck_log.db file from one phone to the other

• Like 3

I don't want to jinx it.. but let's just say that the way things are looking, you should be counting in hours, not days..

-Mike ;)

Thanks for the update, glad it is finally available. I still am not able to see the GCI for that site. SignalCheck says that the GCI is invalid or missing when I try to add a note. I will try to make it over to another LTE site sometime soon, but I suspect that you are correct that it is something with that specific site being misconfigured.

Won't be long....

insert into sites_lte
select null,null, null, null, null, null, null, null, user_note,null,import1.plmn as plmn,substr(gci,1,6)||sectornum AS gci,null,null,null
from sectornum1
inner join import1 on sectornum1.plmn = import1.plmn
where gci <> ''
order by import1.gci

5esmBMw.jpg

5U0f5C2.jpg

I don't know if it is happening on every HTC phone, I just noticed that those of you reporting the issue appear to be using HTCs. I did think it was odd that your report seemed to be missing some of the data that I usually see from an HTC, but the custom ROM explains that. You probably don't need to try a stock ROM; the app is successfully getting the GCI, it's probably something on my end that I missed in the HTC-specific routine.

-Mike

You asked for the data export. The "test" entries were added for your test. Even though it the entry is in the csv, it never showed up in the app when entered.

eruzu5ap.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hse85zu4brbpf3h/20140416-154343_lte-sites.csv '> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hse85zu4brbpf3h/20140416-154343_lte-sites.csv