SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Why do you have to recreate the home screen shortcut? I use the widget on some devices, and the shortcut on others, and I've never had to re-create anything. It shouldn't affect your device any more than any other app update does.

Yep, my home screen shortcut disappeared again today.  With every update, I have to long press SignalCheck Pro in the app drawer and drag the shortcut back to the desired spot on the home screen.

AJ

Yep, my home screen shortcut disappeared again today. With every update, I have to long press SignalCheck Pro in the app drawer and drag the shortcut back to the desired spot on the home screen.

Same thing is happening here. I thought I was going senile and just never added it to my home screen folder the last time it happened.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep, my home screen shortcut disappeared again today.  With every update, I have to long press SignalCheck Pro in the app drawer and drag the shortcut back to the desired spot on the home screen.

Same thing is happening here. I thought I was going senile and just never added it to my home screen folder the last time it happened.

Well that's certainly annoying! :( Until AJ mentioned it the other day, nobody had reported this. Do either of you know how long this has been happening? Do you use the widget as well, and if so, does that disappear too? Any custom launchers in play?

So far I have been unable to find anything on my end that would cause that. I found a vague uncredited reference mentioning that if an app is running while it is updated, the icon may disappear, but I am always running it, and have never seen this behavior on any of the devices I use for testing.

-Mike

Ive had a few f/c's when pressing "reset data connection" from the app. Especially that first time when you click it- takes forever for the request to use superuser access or something like that-at which point i grant it. 

Well that's certainly annoying! :( Until AJ mentioned it the other day, nobody had reported this. Do either of you know how long this has been happening? Do you use the widget as well, and if so, does that disappear too? Any custom launchers in play?

So far I have been unable to find anything on my end that would cause that. I found a vague uncredited reference mentioning that if an app is running while it is updated, the icon may disappear, but I am always running it, and have never seen this behavior on any of the devices I use for testing.

-Mike

Just about every app I have updated in the last month or so has had the shortcut disappear.

Mike, as you can see I have an asterisk, too bad my phone isn't LTE Band 41 capable.  :lol:  I find it odd that under Samsung's engineering screen it shows the MCC-MNC as 310120 under the LTE engineering screen but pops up 311490 on SignalCheck.  

After not running any task killers, I have noticed that the signal bars in the notification bar are always stale, always after the screen turns on again.

I have to either select the widget (stale) or select it from the pull down (stale) to snap it back awake.

Nexus5, non-rooted, untouched, 4.4.2

Edit: To say using ART.

After not running any task killers, I have noticed that the signal bars in the notification bar are always stale, always after the screen turns on again.

I have to either select the widget (stale) or select it from the pull down (stale) to snap it back awake.

Hmm... that pretty much makes the icons & widget useless, sorry it's misbehaving! It does sound like there is still something outside of the app killing off the background service.. is your widget showing stale values, or is it a blank gray square? Just to confirm one more time, you are not clearing SignalCheck from the Recent Apps list, correct?

The Android system is only supposed to kill services like SignalCheck when system resources get low, and should restart them automatically once enough resources are available again. Turning off the screen should not trigger this. And the N5 has plenty of memory to handle my relatively puny service.

I've been using ART on my N5 for a few weeks and have not seen any adverse affects on SignalCheck. But, if you are bored and have a chunk of spare time to wait for the cache to rebuild and want to try switching back to dalvik to see if it helps, let me know what happens. Right now, I do not believe ART is the culprit.

I am working on an update for you to try out, hopefully it will provide some more insight into what's causing this. I will keep you posted.

-Mike

Mike, as you can see I have an asterisk, too bad my phone isn't LTE Band 41 capable. :lol: I find it odd that under Samsung's engineering screen it shows the MCC-MNC as 310120 under the LTE engineering screen but pops up 311490 on SignalCheck.

I guess you are your own special Spark.. ;)

Sometimes these engineering screens make me wonder.. Samsung especially.. they can't even correctly spell engineering!

Next time you see 311490, hit About > Send Diagnostics if you don't mind. I feel like you've sent me a report already but I can't seem to find it.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike just wanted to give you a subjective brief update on band 41 SCP empty screen issue.  New update does improve performance of detecting band 41, but it may only be 25-30%.  It does display info more often, but often for just 1 second.  Have now sometimes seen last site info line for LTE which is great.  Still seems to be overpowered by strong signal.

Maybe this can be fixed through logging.  First, let me say that I would not look for you to be able to replace sensorly. 

SCP, with logging, could become an automated new signal hunter good for pending NV areas as well finding the new towers sprint will need to start installing elsewhere.  Would be great if it logged new GCI /PCI combos and gave an audio alert.  If a user could preload a list that would be even better. 

Once again, many thanks

• Like 1

I am also having the issue of stale info in the notification bar on my 4.4.2 ART CyanogenMod Galaxy Nexus. I do not clear apps from the recent list and don't have any task killers.

I am also having the issue of stale info in the notification bar on my 4.4.2 ART CyanogenMod Galaxy Nexus. I do not clear apps from the recent list and don't have any task killers.

I have been researching this issue, and it now appears that there is another bug similar to the Android 4.4 problem I mentioned earlier. Not only are services being killed and not restarted automatically when an associated app is cleared from the Recent Apps list, but in 4.4.2 other services are failing to restart as well, without any interaction with the Recent Apps list. It does not appear that this issue exists in the initial version of KitKat (4.4) except when a user clears an app from Recent Apps.

This is going to be a significant problem for a lot more apps than SignalCheck. It looks like as more KitKat devices are hitting the street, the full extent of the problem is being discovered. There has yet to be an official response from any Android folks. Some third-party developers have put together temporary workarounds, so I'm going to see what I can do to circumvent this. It will be a couple of days before I will be able to have anything to test. Interestingly, I have not seen this problem on my N5 on ART; in fact, I have seen the SignalCheck service restart itself after it has been killed due to low resources.

If anyone is interested, the relevant Android bug tickets are #63618 and #63793; feel free 'star' them to help prioritize the problem.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike just wanted to give you a subjective brief update on band 41 SCP empty screen issue.  New update does improve performance of detecting band 41, but it may only be 25-30%.  It does display info more often, but often for just 1 second.  Have now sometimes seen last site info line for LTE which is great.  Still seems to be overpowered by strong signal.

Maybe this can be fixed through logging.  First, let me say that I would not look for you to be able to replace sensorly. 

SCP, with logging, could become an automated new signal hunter good for pending NV areas as well finding the new towers sprint will need to start installing elsewhere.  Would be great if it logged new GCI /PCI combos and gave an audio alert.  If a user could preload a list that would be even better. 

Once again, many thanks

Glad to hear that the app is improving on the Band 41 front, but I think that Band 26/41 connections should be considered extraordinary on the G2 and N5 until Sprint pushes out the software update to officially allow connections. There is obviously some unfinished business behind-the-scenes.

Logging is one of the most often requested features for me to add, and I have every intention of doing so. I am working on a re-design of the app that will include logging; I am trying to hold off until I can introduce that new layout. However, that layout is taking a lot longer than I expected to get working, so I am considering adding logging sooner. I do understand how useful it will be.. I want it for myself too! It's not a simple addition, but I'm actively working on it.

-Mike

• Like 1

This is going to be a significant problem for a lot more apps than SignalCheck. It looks like as more KitKat devices are hitting the street, the full extent of the problem is being discovered. There has yet to be an official response from any Android folks. Some third-party developers have put together temporary workarounds, so I'm going to see what I can do to circumvent this. It will be a couple of days before I will be able to have anything to test. Interestingly, I have not seen this problem on my N5 on ART; in fact, I have seen the SignalCheck service restart itself after it has been killed due to low resources.

-Mike

Yea, I have noticed my Wallpaper Changer app get killed and never restart as well. It's definitely not just you.

No problem Mike.

The widget is sometimes all grey and sometimes contains stale values, I haven't spotted a pattern yet.

If I select the widget it launches the app and everything is refreshed.

I'm pretty sure that Skype app has the same issue too, as it doesn't receive any incoming calls unless I have woken it up recently.

The Vonage app however does receive calls all the time. So something is going on.

-Mike

I have never seen the widget disappear before.

Sent from my LG G2 LS980 using Tapatalk

SignalCheck Lite (free version) has finally been upgraded.. version 4.21L should be available on Google Play shortly. Sorry it took so long! It includes all of the relevant changes that were included in 4.19 but never released as a Lite version. It is a significant upgrade from version 4.18. Full changelog for both versions is here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

Happy New Year!

-Mike

• Like 3

I use this app too. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bb.microcpu&hl=en

This has also stopped working in the background, so it isn't only your app.

Yes I believe this is going to be a significant problem if Google does not address it quickly. Last night I finally came up with a workaround for SignalCheck, it's in testing now. As long as no issues come up during testing, it will be released soon.

-Mike

• Like 1

Ive had a few f/c's when pressing "reset data connection" from the app. Especially that first time when you click it- takes forever for the request to use superuser access or something like that-at which point i grant it.

I think I missed this message from last week, sorry! First of all, quality video, never thought I'd see SignalCheck put on YouTube with a soundtrack, LOL.. as far as your issue goes, I notice the same thing as well. It's an unfortunate side effect of needing a custom root-only method to reset the radio on 4.2+ devices. Differences in how SU programs grant or prompt access make it tricky to have something like this working perfectly. The app is simply requesting root access and then executing a command, nothing that should have a long delay or cause crashes.. but it does, especially on the first try or if you prefer to prompt for root access. I have a lot of other things ahead of it on the priority list, but I have tried tweaking it a few times to improve performance. I am still hopeful that Google will re-allow developers to control the radio in a future version, like they did prior to 4.2.

The best workaround I can suggest is to auto-grant SignalCheck root access in SuperSU or whatever you might be using, without prompting.. that seems to work the best for me.

-Mike

• Like 1

One thing to note as well as anytime a new version of an app is installed you have to re-grant it.

Only if you have SuperSU (or similar app) configured that way.. I have it turned off myself. In SuperSU, it's under Settings > Re-authentication.

-Mike

I made what appears to be some reasonable progress with Samsung support earlier tonight.. they opened a ticket for the incorrect LTE MCC-MNC ID (the S4T always shows 310120) and missing GCI/PCI/TAC on the S4T. Now that I have my foot in the door, I would like to try making some progress with the two biggest issues on their other devices.

I need help from Samsung users to collect some data to pass along. Please e-mail me if you have a Samsung device other than the S4T that is experiencing either of the following issues on a stock ROM (EDIT: or a custom ROM that is based off stock), even if you have previously reported it to me:

• Incorrect LTE MCC-MNC (i.e. 31000/310000) on any Android version
  • Missing LTE GCI/PCI on Android 4.2 or newer

Use this link to e-mail me with a pre-filled template, or send it to support-at-bluelinepc-dot-com with something like "Samsung baseband bug" as the subject, and include the following info:

• Which bug (or both) you are experiencing
  • Model (i.e. SPH-L720; grab it from Settings > About phone)
  • Mobile provider (i.e. Sprint)
  • Baseband version (from Settings > About phone)
  • Android version (i.e. 4.2.2)

I have no idea how seriously they will take me, but it can't hurt to try. HTC has been surprisingly receptive, so perhaps the right folks at Samsung will be as well.

Thanks,
-Mike

• Like 5