SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Well I had a store manager tell me he "didn't trust the signal check app", when I was showing him screenshots of my phone close to several towers with no signal...I just let him go with it, but I am still in awe. Too bad my radio is broken again on my phone. I really like what you did with the APP. But curious is there anyway that when you have an EV-DO signal and  no 1X signal, it still display the EV-DO strength. If I connect to EV-DO but not 1x, it just shows as No Connection(Not sure if even possible, but it does happen to lose 1x, but not EV-DO signal).

Well I had a store manager tell me he "didn't trust the signal check app", when I was showing him screenshots of my phone close to several towers with no signal...I just let him go with it, but I am still in awe.

Ha.. well I have no reason to have the app show bogus data, and the readings are pulled directly from the radio. But if they aren't showing something favorable to him, I can see why he might not be a fan.

But curious is there anyway that when you have an EV-DO signal and no 1X signal, it still display the EV-DO strength. If I connect to EV-DO but not 1x, it just shows as No Connection(Not sure if even possible, but it does happen to lose 1x, but not EV-DO signal).

Each connection/section in the app is independent of the others, so if your phone has a particular connection, the app should show any combination that may occur. I don't recall ever seeing EV-DO by itself; it would have to be an odd scenario for that to happen -- like all of the 1X carriers in an entire area being offline, but not EV-DO. I'm not educated enough on the details to guess if that is even technically possible or not.

-Mike

Ha.. well I have no reason to have the app show bogus data, and the readings are pulled directly from the radio. But if they aren't showing something favorable to him, I can see why he might not be a fan.

Each connection/section in the app is independent of the others, so if your phone has a particular connection, the app should show any combination that may occur. I don't recall ever seeing EV-DO by itself; it would have to be an odd scenario for that to happen -- like all of the 1X carriers in an entire area being offline, but not EV-DO. I'm not educated enough on the details to guess if that is even technically possible or not.

-Mike

Yeah my phones antennas are messed up. It shows up top I have a mobile data connection , shows a 3g symbol, but no bars so I know I have an EV-DO signal

Screenshot_2013-12-21-14-41-31.png

My best guess is the disappearing information has something to do with Band 41 not being ready yet; there has been a lot of strange behavior when connecting to (or trying to connect to) these sites.

I've implemented your suggestion to save the most recent LTE cell ID information and display it if Show Hidden Data is enabled. It will be in the next update unless it turns out to cause problems during testing. I believe I have finally resolved the SID display bug, so I'll be prepping an update soon.

-Mike

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Many thanks.  Once/while you have others test it to see if it breaks anything, I could test it to see if it works.  Even a 50% success rate would be such a dramatic improvement and make reporting band 41 sites so much easier. 

• Like 1

Each connection/section in the app is independent of the others, so if your phone has a particular connection, the app should show any combination that may occur. I don't recall ever seeing EV-DO by itself; it would have to be an odd scenario for that to happen -- like all of the 1X carriers in an entire area being offline, but not EV-DO. I'm not educated enough on the details to guess if that is even technically possible or not.-Mike

I also seen this about a dozen times before. It's usually in bad service areas. Not sure why but data still work I can send data back and forth. I haven't seen it in a while though.

If data and voice are separate if I turn off mobile data I shouldn't see lte or ehrpd info but I do. Or am I supposed to see the info because I'm connected but I am just not allowing my phone to send data?

Yeah my phones antennas are messed up. It shows up top I have a mobile data connection , shows a 3g symbol, but no bars so I know I have an EV-DO signal

That's odd.. I have been seeing "missing" info on some devices lately, but they have been LTE connections in areas having CSFB issues. Next time you see this, go to About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics and send me a report. I might be able to give you some more insight as to what's going on.

If data and voice are separate if I turn off mobile data I shouldn't see lte or ehrpd info but I do. Or am I supposed to see the info because I'm connected but I am just not allowing my phone to send data?

You will see live connections but your device will not authenticate or allow any data transfer over the mobile network when you disable mobile data. It comes in handy for me, I get to use old phones for app testing without activating them with a provider!

-Mike

That's odd.. I have been seeing "missing" info on some devices lately, but they have been LTE connections in areas having CSFB issues. Next time you see this, go to About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics and send me a report. I might be able to give you some more insight as to what's going on.

Will do, I get it at home currently, will send it to you for Diagnostics

• Like 1

You will see live connections but your device will not authenticate or allow any data transfer over the mobile network when you disable mobile data. It comes in handy for me, I get to use old phones for app testing without activating them with a provider!

-Mike

Just sent over the diagnostics. By setting my  phone to EVDO only I was able to reproduce the effect quicker. Hope it helps.

Just sent over the diagnostics. By setting my  phone to EVDO only I was able to reproduce the effect quicker. Hope it helps.

Thanks. The report showed that the symptoms you are seeing are similar to what is popping up for other Sprint users as well, and I'm not exactly sure what is going on. The app is showing a live EV-DO signal, but nothing on 1X. Android reports there is no identifiable connection, yet the mobile data connection is showing active and it's usable. This is similar to what @dkyeager mentioned in this thread the other day, and I also replied to another similar post over here earlier.

These seem to be network-side issues.. hopefully Sprint gets it resolved soon before it causes too many problems.

-Mike

Thanks. The report showed that the symptoms you are seeing are similar to what is popping up for other Sprint users as well, and I'm not exactly sure what is going on. The app is showing a live EV-DO signal, but nothing on 1X. Android reports there is no identifiable connection, yet the mobile data connection is showing active and it's usable. This is similar to what @dkyeager mentioned in this thread the other day, and I also replied to another similar post over here earlier.

These seem to be network-side issues.. hopefully Sprint gets it resolved soon before it causes too many problems.

-Mike

OK I was thinking it might be something along the lines of if no 1x signal is reported, then No Signal is reported type thing. Kinda like how it says 3g then the no signal symbol up top. Very interesting stuff indeed

Hey mikejeep question where do the addresses come from for 1x800 in our market we have recently had a few pop up with addresses that are way off from any site much less the one the user believes they are connected to?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Hey mikejeep question where do the addresses come from for 1x800 in our market we have recently had a few pop up with addresses that are way off from any site much less the one the user believes they are connected to? Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

The tower broadcast the latitude and longitude and he said before he uses android to figure out the street addresses. Did you check satellite images or on the maps here to find one close to the address you see. I have connected to towers 30-50 miles away. I think it was digiblur who tracked one down from 50 miles to the source. How far was the tower?

The tower broadcast the latitude and longitude and he said before he uses android to figure out the street addresses. Did you check satellite images or on the maps here to find one close to the address you see. I have connected to towers 30-50 miles away. I think it was digiblur who tracked one down from 50 miles to the source. How far was the tower?

well the member was within 100yards if said site signal check was indicating a signal strength of -45 and reporting an address of several miles away and with no site at the given address. I understand the addresses can be off a little but these have been miles off with no tower near by. The member is a trusted hunter is very reliable.

well the member was within 100yards if said site signal check was indicating a signal strength of -45 and reporting an address of several miles away and with no site at the given address. I understand the addresses can be off a little but these have been miles off with no tower near by. The member is a trusted hunter is very reliable.

Open a ticket with Sprintcare on Twitter. I am sure they will take care of it quickly. Once you get it done, I have thousands of other sectors that need fixing as well.

• Like 1

Open a ticket with Sprintcare on Twitter. I am sure they will take care of it quickly. Once you get it done, I have thousands of other sectors that need fixing as well.

I'm sure they would jump right on that for me I'll just drop your name and it'll be done by this evening

To expand on what Flompholph said, Sprint also intentionally uses an offset in many markets, marking the location in the middle of a sector instead of the actual site location. See here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

-Mike

To expand on what Flompholph said, Sprint also intentionally uses an offset in many markets, marking the location in the middle of a sector instead of the actual site location. See here: http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/help/#bslwrong

-Mike

yeah the 1900 address is that way but up until now all 1x800 has been very close to sites actual address? This is why its puzzled us with these couple of sites.

Just to be clear, I am almost certain that digiblur is joking.  So, please do not bother Sprint with any site address issues.  This is info that the end user is not even supposed to have.  And Sprint has more pressing concerns to tackle.

AJ

• Like 1

Just to be clear, I am almost certain that digiblur is joking.  So, please do not bother Sprint with any site address issues.  This is info that the end user is not even supposed to have.  And Sprint has more pressing concerns to tackle.

AJ

Yes, I was joking as I'm sure you guys would blow Sprintcare's minds if you start talking BSL coordinates.  They don't even know what a PN, Serving Cell, or EVDO channel is.

• Like 3

Yes, I was joking as I'm sure you guys would blow Sprintcare's minds if you start talking BSL coordinates. They don't even know what a PN, Serving Cell, or EVDO channel is.

what's a BSL...is EVDO 5G???

• Like 1

Mike, this may be a beta tester issue, but it seems lately that we are receiving a new version nearly every day.  I do not want to hamper your workflow, but I would prefer that you release a new beta only about once a week, as I have to restart SignalCheck Pro and recreate the home screen shortcut each time.  It is just a minor annoyance, though one that gets repetitive.

AJ

Mike, this may be a beta tester issue, but it seems lately that we are receiving a new version nearly every day. I do not want to hamper your workflow, but I would prefer that you release a new beta only about once a week, as I have to restart SignalCheck Pro and recreate the home screen shortcut each time. It is just a minor annoyance, though one that gets repetitive.

AJ

If he's surrendering his beta slot, I call dibs ;)
  • Like 1