SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Mike, did those Sprint bigwigs ever get in touch with you?

Sort of.. I keep getting told that they are trying to find the right person who can help me. Today's update was that they found this mythical employee, however he is not back in the office until January. I have a few other contacts pending, I'll keep you updated. I'm still sticking with my guess that your sites are configured wrong.

Will do. If we can figure it out that would be great but I'm not expecting you to support every rom on every old model phone. That's why I just asked if it was normal.

I don't mind looking into issues.. the Note 2 is certainly still a popular device, and worst case scenario, I can add the old menu option back on there if we can't get it resolved. I might do that anyway.

-Mike

Couple suggestions here:

1. Put a button for quick mashing that would put the GPS location up on the screen with a time stamp so you know where the screen shot was taken.  Something like :  30.412,-91.183 - 2:34PM

That should be easy enough!

2. LTE drive mode.  Put the LTE stats on the screen like GCI, PCI, etc in a large font for quick glancing.  We don't need to see 1x, EV stuff.  A 1x drive mode could also be done.

Another easy add.. I like it. Fits nicely into my layout re-design that I'm trying to get working too.

3. And my favorite...  a GCI lookup table to put a location on the LTE connection.  The user would put a simple CSV file that you would import into a DB.  They would have the option to append a CSV or overwrite what was in there.  Since this would be a advanced feature we could roll with the CSV plus you wouldn't have to code any screens to do manual edits.  My A.D.D. doesn't bless me with the patience to enter that many on my phone anyways.  Maybe later add the ability to do an add, delete, export etc on your device.

Something simple like (there would be a limit to the description of course):

05A035xx,St Francisville - Nuke Plant

05A062xx,I-55 - Mccomb MS NW

05A063xx,Mccomb MS - Southeast

05A064xx,I-55 - Magnolia MS

05A065xx,I-55 - South of Magnolia MS

We could put the xx or not, you would be matching on the first 6 characters anyways.

It took me a little while to grasp what you were getting at, but I see it now. It's similar to something I have been playing with, although I was thinking of doing all the naming/editing on the device, not basing it off an imported file.. interesting.

I have a new layout in the works that I am trying to get working properly, which has been my priority this week. Hopefully I can get that to a usable state so it can start being tested, then I can slide in some really cool things I have been cooking up. I'm not spilling all of my secrets, but my goal is to make life easier for those of you who spend a lot of time hunting down and recording sites...

-Mike

• Like 12

I emailed a log for the SID 4126 issue, nothing jumped out at me.

Do you know if a new sid fixes the provider name issue. I am in Houston and the 1x800 is spotty I noticed if the sid changed it would fix the provider issue. Mike do you check if sid changed and if so it pulls it from memory and if it changed it looks it up in the database?

Do you know if a new sid fixes the provider name issue. I am in Houston and the 1x800 is spotty I noticed if the sid changed it would fix the provider issue. Mike do you check if sid changed and if so it pulls it from memory and if it changed it looks it up in the database?

The app is only supposed to refresh the 1X provider name when the SID changes (which would happen whenever you switched between SMR (800) and PCS (1900) on Sprint). This is because there is no need to waste battery/RAM/CPU resources to constantly query the SID database if the SID has not changed.

Obviously, I have a glitch in the code somewhere, because the app appears to "forget" the 1X provider at some point along the way, but it is not re-querying the database. The "SID: xxxx" display is only supposed to appear when connected to a SID with no match in the database.

I do have good(?) news on this.. my Nexus 5 experienced this problem tonight for the first time! I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but at least this proves it's not a device-specific problem. I'm temporarily adding a lot of extra logcat output to try catching what scenario is triggering this. I will keep you guys updated.

Just to confirm -- nobody experienced this bug until version 4.19, correct?

-Mike

Hello Mike,

Awesome program.  Much better than most of your competitors.  A pro user with a G2.

Having issues with Band 41 TD-LTE reporting.  Most of the time it is blank while I am connected to TD-LTE band 41 with brief almost random flashes of my Band 41 LTE info: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ju64omkhc88r2if/1gHZVuFFfN

It does not seem to matter as to whether I am in regular or LTE-only mode.  5 to 20 minutes can go by before the LTE data appears, which then disappears in seconds.  It is pure luck if you can capture it.  Currently not an exciting program to use in dangerous neighborhoods.   Have removed the other communications options other than show hidden data, which seems to have improved it slightly. 

Am I missing a feature or setting?  If not, could you program it to keep the displayed data up until you have new LTE data for that program session (perhaps through the hidden data option).  I am a former software developer and have participated in many beta tests, so I am also willing to help test it.

Thanks

Awesome program.  Much better than most of your competitors.  A pro user with a G2.

Having issues with Band 41 TD-LTE reporting.  Most of the time it is blank while I am connected to TD-LTE band 41 with brief almost random flashes of my Band 41 LTE info: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ju64omkhc88r2if/1gHZVuFFfN

It does not seem to matter as to whether I am in regular or LTE-only mode.  5 to 20 minutes can go by before the LTE data appears, which then disappears in seconds.  It is pure luck if you can capture it.  Currently not an exciting program to use in dangerous neighborhoods.   Have removed the other communications options other than show hidden data, which seems to have improved it slightly. 

Am I missing a feature or setting?  If not, could you program it to keep the displayed data up until you have new LTE data for that program session (perhaps through the hidden data option).  I am a former software developer and have participated in many beta tests, so I am also willing to help test it.

Thanks for the kind words! What you're describing doesn't sound right.. first I'm hearing of it, but perhaps it's Band 41-related. Next time you are on LTE but the app isn't showing anything, please go to the menu and hit About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics. That will hopefully give me some insight into the issue.

Keep your head down in those dangerous neighborhoods in the meantime!  ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

Thanks is there a way you could search for a : in provider after it should have been save to memory or before the screen information is refreshed. And I didn't see sid in the provider on my old screenshots.

I saw a screenshot with the sid in the ntlos thread his device says htc one. No one mentioned it sid bug though.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4897-lte-ntelos-west-virginia-nw-virginia-not-network-vision/?p=256253

Hey, Mike,

I've been enjoying your program (Pro) for some time. I posted the attached screenshot on the nTelos thread in Markets, and someone suggested I post it here for your feedback on what it means. Any wisdom?

I was looking for LTE in a possible new update market with my Sprint One, and this happened when my mobile network setting was CDMA/LTE. Here in nTelos territory, I usually lose data connection on this setting, so it was no surprise at the time. I usually have to use CDMA Only.

TIA,

David

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1387556877213.jpg

Next time you are on LTE but the app isn't showing anything, please go to the menu and hit About SignalCheck > Send Diagnostics. That will hopefully give me some insight into the issue.

Send 4 diagnostics for band 41 LTE blank screens earlier today.  Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks is there a way you could search for a : in provider after it should have been save to memory or before the screen information is refreshed. And I didn't see sid in the provider on my old screenshots.

I saw a screenshot with the sid in the ntlos thread his device says htc one. No one mentioned it sid bug though.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4897-lte-ntelos-west-virginia-nw-virginia-not-network-vision/?p=256253

The display of "SID: xxxx" itself is not a bug; that is what I designed the app to show if it checks the database and does find a valid result. The bug is the app isn't checking the database when it should. I've narrowed it down, but my Nexus 5 has only experienced it once, so it's tricky. It was definitely introduced in 4.19. That's why I'm not updating SignalCheck Lite just yet, because it's on 4.18 and does not have this issue.

-Mike

• Like 1

I've been enjoying your program (Pro) for some time. I posted the attached screenshot on the nTelos thread in Markets, and someone suggested I post it here for your feedback on what it means. Any wisdom?

I was looking for LTE in a possible new update market with my Sprint One, and this happened when my mobile network setting was CDMA/LTE. Here in nTelos territory, I usually lose data connection on this setting, so it was no surprise at the time. I usually have to use CDMA Only.

Thanks for the support! That error message isn't coming from SignalCheck, it's coming from your phone's software. Since you turned on the LTE radio, it looks like your phone is trying to connect, but the network isn't allowing you to authenticate. You will see similar errors if you try connecting with a device that is not activated. As someone in that thread suggested, perhaps nTelos isn't allowing LTE connections yet.

-Mike

• Like 1

Send 4 diagnostics for band 41 LTE blank screens earlier today.  Thanks

Thank you, I got them! With "Show Hidden Data" enabled, are you seeing signal information steadily?

The reports you sent me show reasonably strong LTE signals, however, the phone is reporting that it is not connected to a known mobile data network (that's why the top line of SignalCheck says "Connecting...". But the system icon shows LTE and even SignalCheck says a mobile data connection is active and transferring data, very strange! I'm wondering if Band 41 on the G2 doesn't properly "identify" itself to Android. Maybe that's part of the mythical Spark update that is supposed to be coming soon...

-Mike

when connected to wifi and lte, is it possible to remove the evdo/eHRPD and 1x rows for triband devices ?   Ive seen it make the 1xRTT row and the eHRPD row disappear when just on lte unless that was a bug? Havent seen it do it since 

Here's something for the N5 users and not sure who else to play with. And of course posting this to raise Mikes eyebrows.. The neighboring LTE PCI's are neat on the G-Mon app

First turn it on

Posted Image

And boom.. The first one is your site GCI in decimal then the others are the PCI neighbors. I have noticed some I don't have for my area and there are no other towers it could be so I don't trust it 100 percent of the time but is neat

Posted Image

And last but not least I thought it was interesting that with a ST SIM it was able to pull the band 17 number

Posted Image

• Like 1

Here's something for the N5 users and not sure who else to play with. And of course posting this to raise Mikes eyebrows.. The neighboring LTE PCI's are neat on the G-Mon app

And boom.. The first one is your site GCI in decimal then the others are the PCI neighbors. I have noticed some I don't have for my area and there are no other towers it could be so I don't trust it 100 percent of the time but is neat

Yep, I discovered that stuff a few weeks ago, cool stuff! It actually isn't N5-specific but I doubt a lot of phones implement it yet. I have a hacked-together routine I tested when I stumbled across it, and I know at least the GCI stuff was accurate in my area. Coming soon to an app near you.... ;)

-Mike

• Like 3

when connected to wifi and lte, is it possible to remove the evdo/eHRPD and 1x rows for triband devices ? Ive seen it make the 1xRTT row and the eHRPD row disappear when just on lte unless that was a bug? Havent seen it do it since

I have already been considering this idea, but I was wondering if it would be popular. Sometimes I do like to see what isn't connected, if that makes sense.

You probably noticed it when not on a CDMA connection.. I changed the GSM screen on this version, and it hides non-LTE connections when connected to LTE; I did that because it better represents the fact that those devices don't have the capability to sustain multiple connections at once like a lot of CDMA devices do.

I will add your suggestion to the list, at a minimum I will put it in as an option. Trying to come up with the best way to implement it.

-Mike

• Like 1

Thank you, I got them! With "Show Hidden Data" enabled, are you seeing signal information steadily?

The reports you sent me show reasonably strong LTE signals, however, the phone is reporting that it is not connected to a known mobile data network (that's why the top line of SignalCheck says "Connecting...". But the system icon shows LTE and even SignalCheck says a mobile data connection is active and transferring data, very strange! I'm wondering if Band 41 on the G2 doesn't properly "identify" itself to Android. Maybe that's part of the mythical Spark update that is supposed to be coming soon...

-Mike

Already have hidden LTE enabled. I was thinking that perhaps you could hold the last LTE data (flag it as possibly stale) when the screen is blank to make it easier for us to capture the GCI and PCI when the hidden LTE is enabled.  It does typically appear in a instant every 5 to 20 minutes. 

Any other hints also welcome.  The stability I am seeing does not indicate that the Spark update will be a ruse, but did own a Photon 4G that was never updated to ICS despite written promises.

I have already been considering this idea, but I was wondering if it would be popular. Sometimes I do like to see what isn't connected, if that makes sense.

You probably noticed it when not on a CDMA connection.. I changed the GSM screen on this version, and it hides non-LTE connections when connected to LTE; I did that because it better represents the fact that those devices don't have the capability to sustain multiple connections at once like a lot of CDMA devices do.

I noticed that as well when using a different SIM in my device. Nice addition.

• Like 1

Yep, I discovered that stuff a few weeks ago, cool stuff! It actually isn't N5-specific but I doubt a lot of phones implement it yet. I have a hacked-together routine I tested when I stumbled across it, and I know at least the GCI stuff was accurate in my area. Coming soon to an app near you.... ;)

It's been in my super cheesy app for months now. ???? I suppose I ought to get off my lazy butt and set up a Google Play developer account...

Seriously though it's pretty cool to see the neighbor site scan. The more, the merrier!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's been in my super cheesy app for months now. ???? I suppose I ought to get off my lazy butt and set up a Google Play developer account...

Seriously though it's pretty cool to see the neighbor site scan. The more, the merrier!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So where's this cheesy app?

Have you found them to be accurate? I have found like 4 or 5 PCI's I don't have in my area and I know for a fact there are no extra NV sites.

Already have hidden LTE enabled. I was thinking that perhaps you could hold the last LTE data (flag it as possibly stale) when the screen is blank to make it easier for us to capture the GCI and PCI when the hidden LTE is enabled.  It does typically appear in a instant every 5 to 20 minutes. 

Any other hints also welcome.  The stability I am seeing does not indicate that the Spark update will be a ruse, but did own a Photon 4G that was never updated to ICS despite written promises.

My best guess is the disappearing information has something to do with Band 41 not being ready yet; there has been a lot of strange behavior when connecting to (or trying to connect to) these sites.

I've implemented your suggestion to save the most recent LTE cell ID information and display it if Show Hidden Data is enabled. It will be in the next update unless it turns out to cause problems during testing. I believe I have finally resolved the SID display bug, so I'll be prepping an update soon.

-Mike

• Like 3