SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

I just sent a diagnosis with the sid showing issue does it send a logcat with it?

I got it, thanks for trying to help out! Unfortunately it doesn't include logcat output. Great idea though, hadn't thought to include that somehow.. I will have to look into adding that.

-Mike

Is there a filter I can apply to the logcat? I tried to use alogcat app filtering "blueline" I don't get many errors. I can restart my phone it is correct then when I reset data connections I get the error. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned here.

isStatusBarNotificationAllowed: packageName = com.blueline.signalcheck

Trying to launch com.blueline.signalcheck/.SignalCheckActivity

onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.blueline.signalcheck/create]

onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.blueline.signalcheck/pause]

onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.blueline.signalcheck/resume]

onReceive [android.intent.action.ACTIVITY_STATE/com.blueline.signalcheck/pause]

proc in:com.blueline.signalcheck,adj=9LRU num=83,i=36,*3*

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but since the Signal Check app does assist in letting me know when I am in either a 4G or 3G area, I thought you all might have an answer...

Here is the situation...this past week both at work in Tysons VA and at home, there have been several times where both the Signal Check app and my phone has indicated that 4G signal is present, and the my phone is connected to 4G.

When I try to use any app that connects to data, however, I got the "No Data Connection" error. Other times, I had a 4G connection and my data was incredibly slow.

This also happened on a 3G connection.

My personal guess is that the reason for the messed up 4G and 3G, is that Sprint was doing work on the towers in Northern Virginia.

If anyone know anything, I'd love to hear it.

Sent from my RCT6378W2 using Tapatalk

Is there a filter I can apply to the logcat? I tried to use alogcat app filtering "blueline" I don't get many errors. I can restart my phone it is correct then when I reset data connections I get the error. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't mentioned here.

The logcat Tag will be SignalCheckLiteCarriers or SignalCheckProCarriers depending on if you have Lite or Pro, but I'm not sure if you can filter by Tag in aLogcat. Just searching "SID" should work, I checked and it is included in any error message that might appear.

-Mike

I'm sorry mike I can't seem to get the logcat error to show maybe next week when I go home I will fire up my laptop.

For any of you trying to reproduce the sid showing for provider all I had to do was cycle airplane mode or hit the rest data connection button.

I'm sorry mike I can't seem to get the logcat error to show maybe next week when I go home I will fire up my laptop.

For any of you trying to reproduce the sid showing for provider all I had to do was cycle airplane mode or hit the rest data connection button.

No worries, I'm sorry you are experiencing an issue with the app! I forced my Nexus 5 into 3G mode for the past 24 hours, and kept an eye on my other test devices.. haven't seen this bug yet. The reset feature doesn't trigger it for me either. If anyone happens to grab any logcat output that might be helpful, feel free to PM or e-mail it to me and I will take a look.

-Mike

I'm getting an error when pressing reset connection. It comes up with that the reset failed and that root permissions are required for this action for android versions 4.2 and beyond. Never had this error before on 4.4 or 4.4.1, only showing up on 4.4.2

Mike, I have a feature request for the Nexus 5 and the alike.

I would like for SignalCheck to show the LTE GCI and PCI in the Notification drawer to know what tower I am connected to.

No LTE here let or I would have use a pic of that.

SignalCheck.jpg

I'm getting an error when pressing reset connection. It comes up with that the reset failed and that root permissions are required for this action for android versions 4.2 and beyond. Never had this error before on 4.4 or 4.4.1, only showing up on 4.4.2

Did you check the app that gives you supersu privileges. I had to go in and allow manually allow after I missed the pop up asking for permission.
  • Like 1

Root permissions have always been required to use the Reset feature in Android 4.2 and beyond, because Google removed developer access to control the radio in 4.2. An alternative method was implemented in SignalCheck last August, but a rooted device is required. The failure message you are seeing is new with the latest app update, version 4.19. Previous versions of SignalCheck were not displaying the error message (it was supposed to, but a bug was preventing it), but I assure you that it was failing.

If your device is rooted, ensure that SuperSU (or whatever root app you use) is granting SignalCheck root access. Sometimes the SuperSU prompt does not appear, or users have it set to deny access automatically.

If your device is not rooted, you will not be able to use this feature on a 4.2+ device unless Google changes the security policy in a future Android release. It is frustrating many developers, but the decision is outside of our control.

-Mike

• Like 1

Mike, I have a feature request for the Nexus 5 and the alike.

I would like for SignalCheck to show the LTE GCI and PCI in the Notification drawer to know what tower I am connected to.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeffrey. That's something I intend to include when I finally start taking advantage of the expanded notifications available in Android 4.1+. I might be able to squeeze them into the regular notification if I re-organize some things, but that might be tricky. Stay tuned.. :)

-Mike

• Like 4

Root permissions have always been required to use the Reset feature in Android 4.2 and beyond, because Google removed developer access to control the radio in 4.2. An alternative method was implemented in SignalCheck last August, but a rooted device is required. The failure message you are seeing is new with the latest app update, version 4.19. Previous versions of SignalCheck were not displaying the error message (it was supposed to, but a bug was preventing it), but I assure you that it was failing.

If your device is rooted, ensure that SuperSU (or whatever root app you use) is granting SignalCheck root access. Sometimes the SuperSU prompt does not appear, or users have it set to deny access automatically.

If your device is not rooted, you will not be able to use this feature on a 4.2+ device unless Google changes the security policy in a future Android release. It is frustrating many developers, but the decision is outside of our control.

-Mike

Okay I just wanted to check and make sure, I'm not rooted yet but I will be going down that route soon.

I'm not sure if this could be considered a issue or not, I updated my Note 2 to 4.3 using the rom here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2541395

Now when I go to  System Shortcuts/"Debug/Engineering"  a pop up saying "Debug/Engineering screens not available on this device.

Is that normal? I asked and it is supposed to be stock minus knox.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this could be considered a issue or not, I updated my Note 2 to 4.3 using the rom here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2541395

Now when I go to System Shortcuts/"Debug/Engineering" a pop up saying "Debug/Engineering screens not available on this device.

Is that normal? I asked and it is supposed to be stock minus knox.

That means that none of the methods programmed into SignalCheck were able to successfully launch your debug screen. Did the SignalCheck shortcut work before you upgraded? Does the Data shortcut work? I'm not very familiar with the Note 2, what is the dialer code to access the debug menu?

-Mike

That means that none of the methods programmed into SignalCheck were able to successfully launch your debug screen. Did the SignalCheck shortcut work before you upgraded? Does the Data shortcut work? I'm not very familiar with the Note 2, what is the dialer code to access the debug menu?

-Mike

The debug screen worked using Digiblurs rom. The reset data works. The data item in the system shortcuts does not. ##debug# followed by sprint in the dialer still works.

If anyone on fully stock MC4 could say if the system short cut works I would be grateful.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Oh also if I remember correctly, and there is no guarantee of that, I think on the old rom it said Samsung hidden menu. With the new rom it says system hidden menu. I thought that might be significant.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Oh also if I remember correctly, and there is no guarantee of that, I think on the old rom it said Samsung hidden menu. With the new rom it says system hidden menu. I thought that might be significant.

In the latest version, I changed the shortcuts to go directly to the data or debug screens because I (thought) I figured out how to do that. That Samsung hidden menu has a lot of extras that someone could really mess their phone up with, and the intent of my app is to give quick access to the most useful screens.

Shoot me a PM with your email address, I have some things for you to try. We will get it sorted out!

Thanks,

-Mike

Will do. If we can figure it out that would be great but I'm not expecting you to support every rom on every old model phone. That's why I just asked if it was normal.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Couple suggestions here:

1. Put a button for quick mashing that would put the GPS location up on the screen with a time stamp so you know where the screen shot was taken.  Something like :  30.412,-91.183 - 2:34PM

2. LTE drive mode.  Put the LTE stats on the screen like GCI, PCI, etc in a large font for quick glancing.  We don't need to see 1x, EV stuff.  A 1x drive mode could also be done.

3. And my favorite...  a GCI lookup table to put a location on the LTE connection.  The user would put a simple CSV file that you would import into a DB.  They would have the option to append a CSV or overwrite what was in there.  Since this would be a advanced feature we could roll with the CSV plus you wouldn't have to code any screens to do manual edits.  My A.D.D. doesn't bless me with the patience to enter that many on my phone anyways.  Maybe later add the ability to do an add, delete, export etc on your device.

Something simple like (there would be a limit to the description of course):

05A035xx,St Francisville - Nuke Plant
05A062xx,I-55 - Mccomb MS NW
05A063xx,Mccomb MS - Southeast
05A064xx,I-55 - Magnolia MS
05A065xx,I-55 - South of Magnolia MS

We could put the xx or not, you would be matching on the first 6 characters anyways.

• Like 7

Couple suggestions here:

1. Put a button for quick mashing that would put the GPS location up on the screen with a time stamp so you know where the screen shot was taken.  Something like :  30.412,-91.183 - 2:34PM

2. LTE drive mode.  Put the LTE stats on the screen like GCI, PCI, etc in a large font for quick glancing.  We don't need to see 1x, EV stuff.  A 1x drive mode could also be done.

3. And my favorite...  a GCI lookup table to put a location on the LTE connection.  The user would put a simple CSV file that you would import into a DB.  They would have the option to append a CSV or overwrite what was in there.  Since this would be a advanced feature we could roll with the CSV plus you wouldn't have to code any screens to do manual edits.  My A.D.D. doesn't bless me with the patience to enter that many on my phone anyways.  Maybe later add the ability to do an add, delete, export etc on your device.

We could put the xx or not, you would be matching on the first 6 characters anyways.

This....for my crazy mapping adventures!!! THIS!!!!  :frantic:

• Like 1

Couple suggestions here:

Since the GCI would be loaded, couldn't you just load the LAT/LONG with it from the database which would give you a physical address and have the app do the rest like it does pulling the 1x even those that LAT/LONG comes from the site.

Since the GCI would be loaded, couldn't you just load the LAT/LONG with it from the database which would give you a physical address and have the app do the rest like it does pulling the 1x even those that LAT/LONG comes from the site.

Just figured keep it simple. If you have the GCI's already then you probably have a name in mind for the site instead of one that google reverse geocoder tries to make up. Simple look up table and easier for master jedi mikejeep.

• Like 2