Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I am not sure but if you live right below the tower, do you get good reception?

Funny thing is i never knew my tower was sprint owned until today when I asked the techs....Never had any issues with connection before the upgrade...I always had full bars of reception in my home and even on the elevator. At night i would pull about 1.5 down and 1 up of 3g coverage before the upgrade but during the day 3g would be .50 down and up. It will be interesting to see what my numbers are like when they turn it on.

sprint towers on my roof just been updated to network vision..Tech's were in my lobby with tons of cable and samsung boxes with panels..I asked if they were done and they said sprint clear wire at my site was updated and would be switched on either tonight or tomorrow..80th & bway Manhattan...finally!

Wow samsung makes panels too? What dont they make? I know that they make cars also but sold the division to renault or something

Wow samsung makes panels too? What dont they make? I know that they make cars also but sold the division to renault or something

Yeah i dont know they may have had samsung empty boxes that had some equipment in it that that they were putting the old panels inside. Man i know half of the users on this site would kill to catch a tech in the middle of an install and bombard them with questions..i was caught off guard when i saw them in my lobby and couldn't think of all the tech questions I would normally have. lol

i've learned how much buildings can effect the signal strength so much. i had -70dbm LTE signal where the tower is lit up but as soon as i turned into another street only a block away from the tower, the signal strength immediately dropped to -95dbm. not sure if the site has been completed.

That's because of the antenna tilt, strangely enough, if you were on the middle floors or rooftops of those buildings, your signal would be better.

I was in Rego Park over the weekend, and picked up some insane 3G speeds, almost felt like someone was playing a joke on me. I've never seen speeds this fast on a site at 7pm on a Saturday night.

S4lwElq.png

I was in Rego Park over the weekend, and picked up some insane 3G speeds, almost felt like someone was playing a joke on me. I've never seen speeds this fast on a site at 7pm on a Saturday night.

S4lwElq.png

Hmm those pings seem a bit high. I usually get < 100. Very fast speeds nonetheless.

Hmm those pings seem a bit high. I usually get < 100. Very fast speeds nonetheless.

The difference between a 90ms ping and 120ms ping is not distinguishable in almost any use you can muster with a smartphone. 120ms ping on EVDO is still in the 95th percentile.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

The difference between a 90ms ping and 120ms ping is not distinguishable in almost any use you can muster with a smartphone. 120ms ping on EVDO is still in the 95th percentile.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Does ping reflect on signal strength? I mean the diff between 3-5 bars? I know a lot has to do with the server connecting too, but why can u get like 90ms with 25mbps with 5 bars and 49 ms 20mbps with 4 bars? Better ping with less bars

Latest 3g speed test tower upgrade on my roof.

For those you who live in NYC yall are so lucky im really hating live on the borderline of Queens bc non of my towers have been upgraded . I feel like Long Island isn't gonna get the full LTE experience until the NYC market is officially unlocked I don't understand why they can't just do it all together you know , .

I think sprint has to get as much as they can get done in big cities ASAP. By the time iphone 5 comes you they gotta be able to have the network up and running even in limited areas in the city. Otherwise their sales or support lines might light up for about a month until their "scheduled" start of NYC.

I think sprints waiting on big cities or starting them later because most cities have 4g already outskirts have 3g thats painfully slow and are loosing customers fast because of it. I get .5-.8 down and .4 up on 3g. Its hard to stay with a company when verizon and att have 4glte in my town. But sprint is cheaper

Does ping reflect on signal strength? I mean the diff between 3-5 bars? I know a lot has to do with the server connecting too, but why can u get like 90ms with 25mbps with 5 bars and 49 ms 20mbps with 4 bars? Better ping with less bars

Yea closer you are to a tower it should be lower . Unless its an overloaded tower like at my work. But im like .5 miles away i get 650ms ping and speeds are TERRIBLE! .03 down and .02 up!!

I think sprints waiting on big cities or starting them later because most cities have 4g already outskirts have 3g thats painfully slow and are loosing customers fast because of it. I get .5-.8 down and .4 up on 3g. Its hard to stay with a company when verizon and att have 4glte in my town. But sprint is cheaper

They really need to get it together , if they were working on Rural cities first then they should've done Long Island first then the NYC market bc of the fact that Long Island is more rural especially further inland , its like there saving the L.I & NYC Markets for last like dont they know that a good portion of carrier users are in the big cities .

Five minutes spend reading the rest of the site will tell you that there is no set rule of thumb as to where work will start when. Overhauling a network takes a long time, and it isn't as simple as making a wish and power cycling the phone a few times to get LTE.

The upgrades are happening daily, and will continue to do so till the NV project is complete. Till then, we wait patiently, or port out and come back in two years.

• Like 1

For those you who live in NYC yall are so lucky im really hating live on the borderline of Queens bc non of my towers have been upgraded . I feel like Long Island isn't gonna get the full LTE experience until the NYC market is officially unlocked I don't understand why they can't just do it all together you know , .

Yeah i feel for you bro...at least queens bronx and bk get upgrades quicker than manhattan...They should focus on trouble spots first then the rest of the market. Like 57th street in midtown is the absolute worst on the west side...Well patients got us this far..

LI is being upgraded as we speak right now. Just because your town isn't done doesn't mean LI is not being upgraded right now. Sprint has a schedule of rolling out NV. We might not understand it all but it is being done the way they feel is best for the company and their customers. Not only that, local laws make it hard to access some sites then others. There are a lot of factors. It helps when you don't visit this site too much during the day. lol It's painful to see everyone get LTE and you are still on old 3G. Sometimes it's just best to check once a week. Besides, when home, you have wifi so you should be fine. Other times I'm sure you are in NYC so you get to experience the LTE goodness that some of us get. Remember, not all of us get it as well in NYC yet.

Sprint started with larger cities first. NYC was one of the first markets to start work. However, if a small city starts now, it can be done as quickly as 5-10 weeks. And some would then illogically conclude that the smaller market was started before large cities. When, in fact, NYC started a year before the smaller city.

NYC has over 1,100 sites to converted. Small cities can have as few as 2 or 3 sites. See the difference?

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Sprint started with larger cities first. NYC was one of the first markets to start work. However, if a small city starts now, it can be done as quickly as 5-10 weeks. And some would then illogically conclude that the smaller market was started before large cities. When, in fact, NYC started a year before the smaller city.

NYC has over 1,100 sites to converted. Small cities can have as few as 2 or 3 sites. See the difference?

Is that because smaller cities have no high building interference?

Is that because smaller cities have no high building interference?

NYC mid and high rise buildings do effect RF modelling. However, that was likely designed long before work started.

The big difference in schedule between large cities and small cities is sheer volume of work. Second biggest factor is smaller cities have less bureaucratic red tape.

Anyone here works on the towers in NYC market? I just have a question as to if getting backhaul is a problem in the financial district where Sandy hit pretty hard.

I don't work on towers in NYC, however I have heard that there are a ton of buildings that need to move their telco rooms to a higher floor to avoid these problems in the future. With that, landlord's are requiring new leasing agreements for the space which can add some lag time.

Yeah i feel for you bro...at least queens bronx and bk get upgrades quicker than manhattan...They should focus on trouble spots first then the rest of the market. Like 57th street in midtown is the absolute worst on the west side...Well patients got us this far..

And people have to learn have more patience. Focusing on the trouble spots won't help because they will slow down the rest of the market.

I'm saddened by the fact that people still don't realize what it takes to upgrade a site.

I don't work on towers in NYC, however I have heard that there are a ton of buildings that need to move their telco rooms to a higher floor to avoid these problems in the future. With that, landlord's are requiring new leasing agreements for the space which can add some lag time.

That makes sense, and also adds time to get the fiber pulled. I've seen some of the telco d-marks in some of the office buildings here and they are not just a single strand fiber.

And people have to learn have more patience. Focusing on the trouble spots won't help because they will slow down the rest of the market.

I'm saddened by the fact that people still don't realize what it takes to upgrade a site.

noted....new to this site and nv upgrade process