Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

intersection of 38th avenue and Parsons Blvd in Flushing. it was around -80dbm. The tower is going in and out of LTE signal for the past two weeks. i think signal is getting strong.

Yeah , I think 20-30mbps is going to be an average on Sprints LTE Network , A lot of people have been post speedtest of 20-30 sometimes even higher , this is great can't wait for them to start working on LTE for my town .

Yeah , I think 20-30mbps is going to be an average on Sprints LTE Network...

Average? No way. Those are peak speeds. Once the LTE network is mature and most Sprint subs are using it, average downlink speeds per 5 MHz FDD LTE 1900 carrier will likely be in the 5-10 Mbps range.

AJ

• Like 3

Average? No way. Those are peak speeds. Once the LTE network is mature and most Sprint subs are using it, average downlink speeds per 5 MHz FDD LTE 1900 carrier will likely be in the 5-10 Mbps range.

AJ

I second this. No way 20- 30 will be average. I'll be good with 5-10.

• Like 1

Yeah , I think 20-30mbps is going to be an average on Sprints LTE Network , A lot of people have been post speedtest of 20-30 sometimes even higher , this is great can't wait for them to start working on LTE for my town .

Yeah I have hit over 20, but realistly 5-10 will prob be avg

Yeah I have hit over 20, but realistly 5-10 will prob be avg

You guys keep saying that but Doubt that , you guys are saying that bc of AT&T & Verizon's slow down but I think ours will stay right at 20-30mbps

You guys keep saying that but Doubt that , you guys are saying that bc of AT&T & Verizon's slow down but I think ours will stay right at 20-30mbps

Doubtful especially if they're advertising peaks of 25. Two LTE networks having slow down is more evidence than just saying "I think it will stay right at 20-30 mbps". Just saying.

• Like 1

The technology will not allow those kind of speeds consistently. I'll bet my paycheck on that.

• Like 2

Isaiah, listen and learn. For a 5 MHz FDD LTE carrier with 2x2 MIMO, the absolute maximum downlink speed under ideal signal conditions is 37 Mbps.

Even if you were Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man" (or, for our younger members, Will Smith in "I Am Legend") and the last living person in the city, you would not average 20-30 Mbps, simply because signal conditions will not always support those rates.

Now, consider that you will be sharing a site with hundreds to thousands of other Sprint LTE users. Average speeds per user of 20-30 Mbps are totally unrealistic. I will say it again -- those are peak speeds. Average speeds will eventually settle in at 5-10 Mbps -- if we are lucky and most of you yahoos do not go overboard abusing unlimited data.

AJ

• Like 9

AJ

Well see ,

Isaiah, listen and learn. For a 5 MHz FDD LTE carrier with 2x2 MIMO , the absolute maximum downlink speed under ideal signal conditions is 37 Mbps.

Even if you were Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man" (or, for our younger members, Will Smith in "I Am Legend") and the last living person in the city, you would not average 20-30 Mbps, simply because signal conditions will not always support those rates.

Now, consider that you will be sharing a site with hundreds to thousands of other Sprint LTE users. Average speeds per user of 20-30 Mbps are totally unrealistic. I will say it again -- those are peak speeds. Average speeds will eventually settle in at 5-10 Mbps -- if we are lucky and most of you yahoos do not go overboard abusing unlimited data.

AJ

Lmao I didn't really understand half the stuff you just , what is a "For a 5 MHz FDD LTE carrier with 2x2 MIMO" im a nerd but thats some real techy type stuffs ,, i mean I know about the signals but I've never heard anything like that , I get whatchur implying tho , the onlu reason I say 20-30mbps might be average is because my friend in Atlanta has an average of 30/31mbps but i must be incorrect , Atlanta isn't as big nor as crowded as the city so my friend probably has peak speeds at all times , thats what I was hoping for , for us you know .

Lmao I didn't really understand half the stuff you just , what is a "For a 5 MHz FDD LTE carrier with 2x2 MIMO" im a nerd but thats some real techy type stuffs ,, i mean I know about the signals but I've never heard anything like that , I get whatchur implying tho , the onlu reason I say 20-30mbps might be average is because my friend in Atlanta has an average of 30/31mbps but i must be incorrect , Atlanta isn't as big nor as crowded as the city so my friend probably has peak speeds at all times , thats what I was hoping for , for us you know .

Atlanta, Georgia is a city too bro. Maybe he's in an area with few sprint users and/or near the tower with direct line of signal.

As for the 5x5 MHz I believe that's how wide the channels are to allow bandwidth. So technically there's not enough space for more than 37mbps to travel through.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this guys.

Lmao I didn't really understand half the stuff you just , what is a "For a 5 MHz FDD LTE carrier with 2x2 MIMO" im a nerd but thats some real techy type stuffs ,, i mean I know about the signals but I've never heard anything like that...

Isaiah, I mean no offense, but you are, what, 15-17 years old and still in high school? Nerd or not, you know jack squat at this point in your life. Nothing that I stated is that obscure for anyone who follows the wireless industry. You just have a lot of learning yet to do over the next 5-10 years. Hopefully, you will take that to heart.

As for the experience of your friend in Atlanta, if you ever study statistics or logic, you will learn about representative samples. One or two consistent data points does not necessarily indicate a trend. For a counter to your example, imagine if we were to select a few members here at S4GRU who have LTE coverage but only 1 Mbps speeds because they are located away from the closest live LTE site. By your line of reasoning, we should be able to predict then that Sprint's average LTE speeds will be only 1 Mbps. Do you see the problem with that?

AJ

• Like 4

Atlanta, Georgia is a city too bro. Maybe he's in an area with few sprint users and/or near the tower with direct line of signal.

As for the 5x5 MHz I believe that's how wide the channels are to allow bandwidth. So technically there's not enough space for more than 37mbps to travel through.

That's basically it. 10mhz of total spectrum space, equivalent to lanes on a highway. 5 lanes going uplink, 5 lanes going downlink. Traffic will travel faster when the highway is empty, slowdown when there are more cars (users).

Same analogy for wireless users.

• Like 1

The reality why AT&T and Verizon will have more consistent high download speed is. 1: 10x10 spectrum and 2: they don't have people streaming on their LTE service like sprint will have because of their data tier. (that's a reality and its gonna happen) if AT&T and Verizon went truly unlimited, their performance wouldn't be the same and would be conparable to sprint. I personally would rather have 5mbps capped. Nothing more, nothing less, unthrottled. I'm good with that! Does anyone agree?

• Like 1

I would assume this is the appropriate forum to post this. What is the number you dial that tells you what service you are on? For example when you dial this number it would tell you welcome to Verizon or Sprint. Thanks to anyone who answers. I want to see if I am roaming or not.

--

Chris

I would assume this is the appropriate forum to post this. What is the number you dial that tells you what service you are on? For example when you dial this number it would tell you welcome to Verizon or Sprint. Thanks to anyone who answers. I want to see if I am roaming or not.

--

Chris

I think 611

--

Chris

*2, if you're on Sprint, it will have our customer service, for Verizon I believe it is *611.

• Like 1

The reality why AT&T and Verizon will have more consistent high download speed is. 1: 10x10 spectrum and 2: they don't have people streaming on their LTE service like sprint will have because of their data tier. (that's a reality and its gonna happen) if AT&T and Verizon went truly unlimited, their performance wouldn't be the same and would be conparable to sprint. I personally would rather have 5mbps capped. Nothing more, nothing less, unthrottled. I'm good with that! Does anyone agree?

I'd take the consistent 4-6mbps that works everywhere.

• Like 2

I'd take the consistent 4-6mbps that works everywhere.

I'm sure if they did a survey, that 90% of people would agree. The thing with carriers that get people excited is that they advertise download a movie in 60 seconds etc. if they would advertise 5mbps and people would look it up and say, "hey this will take 7 mins, who wants that?" The reality is, people want consistency, but unfortunately as of now, that's not happening.

• Like 1

I know its a city , & he lives in the rural parts , but he said when he travels to the city his speeds are still consistent ,

Edited by IsaiahL

That's basically it. 10mhz of total spectrum space, equivalent to lanes on a highway. 5 lanes going uplink, 5 lanes going downlink. Traffic will travel faster when the highway is empty, slowdown when there are more cars (users).

Same analogy for wireless users.

Pretty good analogy.

I did a speed test as I passed Fordham Rd on the 4 train and got 18 down. Everywhere else lately I've been getting about 4-8 down but on the bright side, LTE has been more spread out, more consistent and handoff from tower to tower appears almost non-existent. So that's an A in my book.