Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Alltel

I know you're saying that in jest, but there's still a divested Alltel cluster of towers owned by Atlantic Tele-Network around where I live. It's in the process of being sold to AT&T, who I just looked up as the sponsor of the Yankees. I presume AT&T would have first dibs on any distributed antenna system in Yankee Stadium, am I right?

Is anyone having problems connecting to LTE? I have an HTC EVO LTE, and up until yesterday morning - I was connecting to LTE with no problem at all. Now in the areas that I was getting LTE, my phone doesn't make any data connection at all. It just sits there and tries to connect. If I switch back to CDMA only - it connects to 3G right away. If i put it back on LTE/CDMA - nothing.

It's driving me nuts. Happening in Midtown and the Upper East Side.

I know you're saying that in jest, but there's still a divested Alltel cluster of towers owned by Atlantic Tele-Network around where I live. It's in the process of being sold to AT&T, who I just looked up as the sponsor of the Yankees. I presume AT&T would have first dibs on any distributed antenna system in Yankee Stadium, am I right?

Check this out: (AT&T)

http://www.forbescustom.com/TelecomPgs/idcnews/4.13.10/YankeeStadiumATTP1.html

Went to a Nets game 2 weeks ago and I think they have in-building repeaters. LTE signal was okay outside the arena but when I got to my seat, full bars of LTE. Likely they did the same with Yankee stadium but eh... I still suffer on game day and so does half the morrisonia area lol.

Yep, the Barclay Center is a great example of an install which works. How was the throughput during the game?

That is correct, AT&T gets first dibs since they are the wireless sponsor of the Yankees. In other news, being at the stadium these last two nights made me notice some gaps in the 4G LTE coverage zone at the stadium. By the Grand Hall (Gate 6), I had approx 3 bars of LTE (on AOSP), but at my seats in Sec 136 (next to visiting bullpen) I strugged to get data connectivity in general. No 3G/4G. Sensorly does show that the stadium is covered, but I assume that the OEM's had the towers down for maintenance.

Yep, the Barclay Center is a great example of an install which works. How was the throughput during the game?

Signal was fantastic. Did a speed test and it came out to just over 5mbps down and 3 up. Not that I need any faster but for an indoor solution, it was very snappy and there was nothing I couldn't do. I was happy the whole game (which the Nets beat the Hornets 108-98) ;-)

That is correct, AT&T gets first dibs since they are the wireless sponsor of the Yankees. In other news, being at the stadium these last two nights made me notice some gaps in the 4G LTE coverage zone at the stadium. By the Grand Hall (Gate 6), I had approx 3 bars of LTE (on AOSP), but at my seats in Sec 136 (next to visiting bullpen) I strugged to get data connectivity in general. No 3G/4G. Sensorly does show that the stadium is covered, but I assume that the OEM's had the towers down for maintenance.

Damn Yankee fans taking up my precious bandwidth. I would've thought that you would have decent signal behind the visiting team's bullpen because I get about 3 solid bars of signal on Jerome ave right behind there.

Damn Yankee fans taking up my precious bandwidth. I would've thought that you would have decent signal behind the visiting team's bullpen because I get about 3 solid bars of signal on Jerome ave right behind there.

Lots of cement between the two!

Signal was fantastic. Did a speed test and it came out to just over 5mbps down and 3 up. Not that I need any faster but for an indoor solution, it was very snappy and there was nothing I couldn't do. I was happy the whole game (which the Nets beat the Hornets 108-98) ;-)

That's perfect. I'm really glad to hear that. I was there when the center first opened, Russell Peters did a comedy show, and my phone was roaming on Verizon the entire time.

That's perfect. I'm really glad to hear that. I was there when the center first opened, Russell Peters did a comedy show, and my phone was roaming on Verizon the entire time.

Not anymore lol. Hopefully it's all around the entire facility and not just the basketball court.

Wow I am shocked. At my apartment we were always getting horrible 1x and 3g signal and we have a airave. Today I was working on on wires and had to take the airave off. I was surprised to find out I have 4-6 bars and awesome 1.5mbps 3g speed with 70ms ping without airave. NV will make sprint very competitive. Awesome job sprint.

• Like 1

Now I am unsure of what to do with the airave. Should I just use the device to get 55dbm 1x service compared to 70dbm to 80dbm without airave? I actually did get the device for free without any charge monthly.

Now I am unsure of what to do with the airave. Should I just use the device to get 55dbm 1x service compared to 70dbm to 80dbm without airave?

No, if you no longer need the Airave, turn it off. You could be causing interference issues for your neighbors.

AJ

No, if you no longer need the Airave, turn it off. You could be causing interference issues for your neighbors.

AJ

AJ,

Would this be the reason signal in my residence has gone from full to half or none in my residence? I'm near a tower that has been upgraded at least on the 3g side about a block away.

AJ,

Would this be the reason signal in my residence has gone from full to half or none in my residence? I'm near a tower that has been upgraded at least on the 3g side about a block away.

We would have no way of knowing. You would need to confirm by posting some signal metrics that the nearby site is currently active. It sounds like it could be down, or the radiation pattern could have been changed as part of its Network Vision makeover.

AJ

AJ,

Dial *99 if you are connected through airave, you will hear computer telling you that you are connected to an airave. Other easy way of telling is also by three beeps when you dial out or accepting calls.

We would have no way of knowing. You would need to confirm by posting some signal metrics that the nearby site is currently active. It sounds like it could be down, or the radiation pattern could have been changed as part of its Network Vision makeover.

AJ

I'll see what i come up with later when i get home.

Dial *99 if you are connected through airave, you will hear computer telling you that you are connected to an airave. Other easy way of telling is also by three beeps when you dial out or accepting calls.

Most of the time if i make a call i know it's on the airrave, they just happened to update the tower nearest me.

Anyone been to MSG lately? I went first week feb and didn't notice any LTE.

http://www.tpicom.com/pdf/news25.pdf

TPI brings LTE-DAS to the Madison Square

Garden and Improves Wireless Bandwidth

Dallas, TX—January 24, 2013– TPI a leading operator of indoor LTEDAS wireless infrastructure, has installed an LTE Distributed Antenna

System (“DAS”) in the Garden. The LTE DAS network will provide

Madison Square Garden fans with significantly increased bandwidth to

their mobile devices connected during games, with improved wireless

services to the millions that visit annually.

“TPI Systems owns and operates multiple DAS networks at

professional sports stadiums across the country,” said Jimmy Chiles,

President of TPI. “Our neutral-host LTE DAS networks can be utilized

by all major wireless carriers to provide their customers with increased

bandwidth during games, concerts, and other highly attended events.

We are excited to bring the latest LTE technology to the Madison

Square Garden enabling the finest wireless experience to millions of

fans and patrons.”

According to Vice President Bob Van Dyk , “We are committed to

providing exceptional LTE service to the fans while attending these big

events”. TPI operates a technology platform known as DAS that

delivers the signals from AT&T, Verizon and Sprint to the fans that visit

MSG and ensure thatfans stay connected during big events.” The new

TPI LTE-DAS constructed at MSG includes the installation of 550

antennas located throughout the Garden that will improve wireless

coverage and bandwidth during peak event times. In addition to

ensuring voice calls are successfully connected, the LTE-DAS will allow

media phones, tablets and other devices to access the internet, run

interactive applications and stream photos and videos to social

networking sites among many other benefits.