Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

There is some microwave included in the Chicago market deployment. It is not 100% ethernet.

Robert

I have noticed almost all of the towers along 294 north of 88 are microwave and there are microwave gateway towers at big tolls. I can physically see the microwave antennas that have been installed over the last few months I cant say the same for 94 because i dont use it as much but it seems like its easier when there are huge microwave gateway towers (i dont know if taht what you call them) already in place along the tollway and 94. The sites that are complete that i have seen and are not near the highway dont seem to use microwave as much

I messaged him about them when I first got them. No response.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Really? Did you send it while I was on vacation in July? Do you guys realize I average over 100 S4GRU emails, PM's and text messages a day??? And I still work a full time job as a bureaucrat.

If I don't respond in a couple of days, send it again. I seriously am the busiest person I know.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I have documents that state otherwise.

Ethernet, wtf. Are you guys trying to run Ethernet cable to your 2002 HP PC from your Telocity DSL box in your home office or something. #Retro

No Way Sprint uses Ethernet. We know the knew backhaul is Fiber right? Im sure the old backhaul is some sort of outdated copper line, T1, T3, OC3 that link to their distribution centers.

• Like 2

Ethernet, wtf. Are you guys trying to run Ethernet cable to your 2002 HP PC from your Telocity DSL box in your home office or something. #Retro

No Way Sprint uses Ethernet. We know the knew backhaul is Fiber right? Im sure the old backhaul is some sort of outdated copper line, T1, T3, OC3 that link to their distribution centers.

They're talking metro ethernet or MPLS which can be based on copper or fiber cables. Pretty much NV comes down to either having some sort of cable based (copper or fiber) internet connection or microwave, both of which provide an substantial improvement over the T1s in place now.

They're talking metro ethernet or MPLS which can be based on copper or fiber cables. Pretty much NV comes down to either having some sort of cable based (copper or fiber) internet connection or microwave, both of which provide an substantial improvement over the T1s in place now.

Right on. I assumed Sprint's issue was probably crunching all out data usage onto old T1s. I remember in my high school networking class in 2000 how T1's were like the gold medal of network infrastructure and broadband. My how times have changed and how outdated Sprint's infrastructure is.

Right on. I assumed Sprint's issue was probably crunching all out data usage onto old T1s. I remember in my high school networking class in 2000 how T1's were like the gold medal of network infrastructure and broadband. My how times have changed and how outdated Sprint's infrastructure is.

My understanding is most old towers have 3 T1s which provide 4.5 mbps up/down so not that fast, but the good part is they're completely dedicated to Sprint unlike a consumer cable connection where the bandwidth is shared.

NV sites should have 100 mbps now with the option to more easily upgrade when the need is there. The best part is that the new connections are about the same monthly cost to Sprint so besides the installation labor and one time fees its a free upgrade, thus driving the $ per mpbs down significantly and allowing Sprint to continue offering unlimited data and sell excess capacity wholesale.

• Like 1

Folks, just FYI, Ethernet is a protocol (thank you, Bob Metcalfe), not a physical medium. While twisted pair (e.g. 10/100/1000BASE-T) may be the most familiar, Ethernet can travel over other media, such as coax (e.g. 10BASE2/5) or even fiber.

AJ

• Like 5

There hasn't been much progress? Are you sure? Note that our weekly updates show sites that Sprint has accepted as complete from Network Vision OEM's. There are still hundreds of workers working on sites and things are still progressing. Chicago is flying compared to other markets. They are closing in on 50% of sites converted. Way more than any other.

Robert

If close to 50% of the sites have been converted then why has Sprint not announced the Chicago market yet? I thought a market was announced around the 30-40% range?? They could at least light up the LTE towers that are converted and sitting idle (running 3G only).

If close to 50% of the sites have been converted then why has Sprint not announced the Chicago market yet? I thought a market was announced around the 30-40% range?? They could at least light up the LTE towers that are converted and sitting idle (running 3G only).

Because there is no way in the world that Sprint is going to launch the Chicago market without LTE being at least partially deployed in the Loop. Chicago deployment is being done in clusters, starting outside and working inward. It is not a typical deployment.

Robert

• Like 2

Because there is no way in the world that Sprint is going to launch the Chicago market without LTE being at least partially deployed in the Loop. Chicago deployment is being done in clusters, starting outside and working inward. It is not a typical deployment.

Robert

And I'm assuming this is because of the conflict between NV and legacy equipment? If they did the usual deployment people would be dropping calls across the entire market vs just in one area where the work is being done?

And I'm assuming this is because of the conflict between NV and legacy equipment? If they did the usual deployment people would be dropping calls across the entire market vs just in one area where the work is being done?

That seems like a reasonable deduction to me. I do not know for certain.

Robert

Perhaps I'm behind the times, or misinformed, but I thought they were waiting on lagging backhaul?

I second that, I assumed it was because of back haul and the "launch" would start this fall.

Because there is no way in the world that Sprint is going to launch the Chicago market without LTE being at least partially deployed in the Loop. Robert

This is the first I've read this ( but I maybe missed it earlier. If this is the case my guess is that Chicago won't officially "launch" till maybe late this year.

Perhaps I'm behind the times' date=' or misinformed, but I thought they were waiting on lagging backhaul?[/quote']

That is part of it too. The incompatibility between legacy and NV equipment forced Samsung to upgrade some sites in advance of backhaul delivery.

This is not an either, or, situation. It's my opinion that Sprint will not launch LTE in the Chicago market until at least part of the Loop is covered. Also, backhaul deployment is lagging. And it may even affect LTE deployment in the Loop. I think the earliest that Chicago would launch is Mid October. However, I'm thinking November.

Robert

The reason Sprint won't turn on the Chicago market anytime soon is because you can't launch the Chicago market without any towers live in CHICAGO.

Exactly.

Enter ##DEBUG# in your telephone dialer. Select 1x Engineering. Look to see what Channel and Band Class. If it says Band Class 10, Channel 476, then your 1x is connected to a 800MHz carrier.

Robert

I checked again today, and now it does say Band #10 and Channel 476. :)

My opinion is that this is just how Samsung wanted to deploy their first market from the start. Sprint has given free reign to the contractors to complete markets as quickly as possible.

I agree with you hence why they are doing double then other marketes or triple ect a week .... I could be wrong but even with Chicago having issues they are doing really well then other markets hope the good luck runs with other Samsung markets

Unfortunately, if past history with cdmaOne/CDMA2000 is any indication, Samsung is the least of the infrastructure vendors. Plus, Samsung is replacing Motorola legacy -- a double whammy -- in many markets.

AJ

Do have a good point having that to deal with.....guess it is a little early to tell what they are going do with only one market with sites done...just trying to optimistic

According to my source....microwave licences for Sprint backhaul for Chicago market were issued on 8/15 and 8/16. Dont have a time table from then. Robert, message me your e-mail and I will forward you what I have. Luckily for you.....they show tower numbers...lol

• Like 1

According to my source....microwave licences for Sprint backhaul for Chicago market were issued on 8/15 and 8/16. Dont have a time table from then. Robert, message me your e-mail and I will forward you what I have. Luckily for you.....they show tower numbers...lol

I'm guessing you're keeping this a secret to us peons, eh? lol

I'm guessing you're keeping this a secret to us peons, eh? lol

he asked robert for his email so the info can be added where appropriate. I think that is sharing info, no?