Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

you talking bout the one on plain field rd? If so that's been active for over a month

No, Larkin / Jefferson.

I realize that I have 4G coverage at my house after my Wi-Fi router went wacky. I did a speed test and here are the results:

fk4qoo.png

**Tried to upload picture for tiny pic and the image does not show. Also tried to upload from howardforums - http://www.howardfor...00&d=1346252472 - received a "image ext. not allowed in community**

No, Larkin / Jefferson.

I realize that I have 4G coverage at my house after my Wi-Fi router went wacky. I did a speed test and here are the results:

http://i45.tinypic.com/fk4qoo.png

**Tried to upload picture for tiny pic and the image does not show. Also tried to upload from howardforums - http://www.howardfor...00&d=1346252472 - received a "image ext. not allowed in community**

To post a pic URL, it must end in .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, etc. for them to work in IP Board. If the URL end in anything but an accepted extension, it will give you an error. If you use Tiny Pic, make sure you use the image attachment button in the format section above the text window and enter the URL in there.

Robert

I have a little over a week until my sprint contract runs out. I would like 4G LTE with great speeds. However for me a stable network where calls do not drop 2-3 per call is the most important. I was hoping by now this problem would be solved, but it does not appear to be.

Are you guys thinking that they will not roll out the new network until November? If so I guess that makes my decision a lot easier.

Thanks again and great job on the site.

Calls are not dropping in Elgin. Calls usually drop at locations where they just start working on the towers and the areas where you transition from new equipment to old. Yeah it sucks, but it's not for long.

Waiting for the backhaul upgrade is a bitch. Still waiting out here.

Do they work on towers at night? The 4g signal always drops when I hit my block. Tonight I was just playing with my phone and 4g started working. Its only about 3-5 mb down but hey its something. I'm in crest hill on cedar wood Dr and according to net monitor I'm now bouncing between 2 towers. One off gaylord rd and the other off of plainfield rd

Do they work on towers at night? The 4g signal always drops when I hit my block. Tonight I was just playing with my phone and 4g started working. Its only about 3-5 mb down but hey its something. I'm in crest hill on cedar wood Dr and according to net monitor I'm now bouncing between 2 towers. One off gaylord rd and the other off of plainfield rd

I am not sure about what time they work on towers however any maintainance that downs a tower will be preformed at night.

Although a lot of the prep work for NV on a tower is done during the day, the actual switchover from legacy to NV occurs always at night.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1

I have a little over a week until my sprint contract runs out. I would like 4G LTE with great speeds. However for me a stable network where calls do not drop 2-3 per call is the most important. I was hoping by now this problem would be solved' date=' but it does not appear to be.

Are you guys thinking that they will not roll out the new network until November? If so I guess that makes my decision a lot easier.

Thanks again and great job on the site.[/quote']

The new network has been rolling out since the beginning of the year. Things have improved in the outer burbs, improving at the inner burbs and about to get started in the City. It will be a painful few weeks while they work on sites in your area. But afterwards you will be on a state of the art network.

LTE is just starting to be turned on in places for testing. Some signals have stayed on. Some come and go during this period. However, more and more over the next few weeks will stay on. And by the end of October, they will likely launch the market.

If you cannot wait it out for the next few weeks, we understand. Everyone has different needs. And you have to what you have to do. But the finish line is relatively close. One year from now, these last extra few weeks will seem like nothing.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'm kicking myself for buying a new phone and renewing my contract right now. I've been patient with Sprint for years too. If it weren't for that deal that Wirefly had for the LTEVO I would have just stuck with the OG EVO in the meantime.

It's annoying for me because I've seen the 4G turned on in my neighborhood a month or so ago and now it's nothingness again. Nothing but over analyzing going on as to why are service is slow.

Calls are not dropping in Elgin. Calls usually drop at locations where they just start working on the towers and the areas where you transition from new equipment to old. Yeah it sucks, but it's not for long.

I second this. No more dropped calls around the Elgin area. My wife and I were heading to Indy last night and she was on the phone when we were heading south on 294. I could tell by the conversation she was breaking up, and sure enough, she dropped the call. They're moving closer and closer to the city, but as stated before, nothing official will happen until work in the Loop at least begins.

I'm kicking myself for buying a new phone and renewing my contract right now. I've been patient with Sprint for years too. If it weren't for that deal that Wirefly had for the LTEVO I would have just stuck with the OG EVO in the meantime.

It's annoying for me because I've seen the 4G turned on in my neighborhood a month or so ago and now it's nothingness again. Nothing but over analyzing going on as to why are service is slow.

Over analyzing by who? Hopefully you're not talking about this site because this site has actual information, not just theory. I saw Robert (Admin) made a post about how the information on this site will force Sprint to own up to what's going on. There isn't a whole lot of theory and assumption going on around this site, just the facts. While the explanations may be very technical in nature, they're still accurate and there is an explanation of what's happening if you understand the language that's being spoken.

[...]

I would donate $20 or so to the site and take a look at the interactive maps and plans for NV, then you can decide yourself and not have to rely on other peoples/sites analysis. If you're really curious you can pitch in the extra for premiere status and have more info on NV and LTE deployments in Chicago than most people at Sprint.

Just wanted to report ehrpd near the Wilson Red Line! 3g symbol and data transfer arrows no longer light up when moving data. Data speeds are still horrendous, but I feel like progress is being made! This area has had sub dial up speeds and data time outs for a looong time. Forgive the terseness of the post...I'm writing this on my phone.

post-4482-0-56560500-1346374736_thumb.png

The calls have been dropping since April, so Its been awhile. I have hard time believing sprint since they first said the network would be fixed in may, then june, then july, and now august. I also have 2 friends who got the EVO 2 years ago in the kenosha area since 4g was coming soon. 2 years later no 4g.

I am glad to hear its not dropping in Elgin. Here is Naperville its been awful. One of my business partners lives in Bloomingdale and has been having the same issues. Some other friends have the same problems in McHenry, Carol stream, Hinsdale, and Park Ridge. I guess it varies from town to town.

Its been an ok 2 years but I think its time for a change. I hope it does get better for you guys.

Edited by badbeats

The calls have been dropping since April, so Its been awhile. I have hard time believing sprint since they first said the network would be fixed in may, then june, then july, and now august. I also have 2 friends who got the EVO 2 years ago in the kenosha area since 4g was coming soon. 2 years later no 4g.

I am glad to hear its not dropping in Elgin. Here is Naperville its been awful. One of my business partners lives in Bloomingdale and has been having the same issues. Some other friends have the same problems in McHenry, Carol stream, Hinsdale, and Park Ridge. I guess it varies from town to town.

Its been an ok 2 years but I think its time for a change. I hope it does get better for you guys.

This happens all the time during big transitions that require short term pain for long term benefit. Company's lose valuable employees during re-structures, acquisitions, etc. Country Club's lose members during big constructions due to the annoyance, and phone/tv/internet service providers lose subscribers during infrastructure turnover projects. Its the way it is. Some people stick it out till the end, some people jump ship right away, some people just do nothing and know nothing (and just complain). Im sure sprint forecaster that the pain of NV will be too much for some heavy and/or business users and they would lose some subscribers.

The one thing that seems strange to me though is that I assume you, like me have a 4G WiMax device. Since WiMax is a clearwire network that Sprint leases out its not part of NV. So if you are connected to WiMax this NV transition really isn't an issue. I figured many of those places you mention like Naperville, Park Ridge, Bloomingdale, Elgin probably have good WiMax coverage in place already.

• Like 1

This happens all the time during big transitions that require short term pain for long term benefit. Company's lose valuable employees during re-structures, acquisitions, etc. Country Club's lose members during big constructions due to the annoyance, and phone/tv/internet service providers lose subscribers during infrastructure turnover projects. Its the way it is. Some people stick it out till the end, some people jump ship right away, some people just do nothing and know nothing (and just complain). Im sure sprint forecaster that the pain of NV will be too much for some heavy and/or business users and they would lose some subscribers.

The one thing that seems strange to me though is that I assume you, like me have a 4G WiMax device. Since WiMax is a clearwire network that Sprint leases out its not part of NV. So if you are connected to WiMax this NV transition really isn't an issue. I figured many of those places you mention like Naperville, Park Ridge, Bloomingdale, Elgin probably have good WiMax coverage in place already.

For me the most important thing is the phone working well.. as a phone. It really has been bad. I do have a 4g device, and the 4g signal is sometimes very spotty. Also its just slow compared to the other carriers. Just did a test right now and got 1.6 Mbps for dl and .8 for up. The numbers are fairly normal for me. Obviously wimax cant compete with other LTE carriers, until Sprint upgrades to LTE.

For me the most important thing is the phone working well.. as a phone. It really has been bad. I do have a 4g device, and the 4g signal is sometimes very spotty. Also its just slow compared to the other carriers. Just did a test right now and got 1.6 Mbps for dl and .8 for up. The numbers are fairly normal for me. Obviously wimax cant compete with other LTE carriers, until Sprint upgrades to LTE.

Oh no I agree WiMax blows compared to LTE, especially LTE hooked up to the 100 Mbps fiber backhaul Sprint is putting in my place. My point is at least for me, my actual 3G use for the phone and data is minimal as it is. That being said, when all the Sprint Towers around me are going crazy with timeouts, drops, no connectivity.....I dont expect to be as effected as much b/c I am primary using WiMax (towers owned by clearwire not part of NV). I won't even use my phone in 3G as nothing seems to work properly, long before NV was announced. If it wasn't for WiMax I would have ditched Spring awhile ago. On WiMax I get anywhere from 1.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps download speeds, its not that reliable, but it serves the get me over purpose to LTE.

• Like 1

Oh no I agree WiMax blows compared to LTE, especially LTE hooked up to the 100 Mbps fiber backhaul Sprint is putting in my place. My point is at least for me, my actual 3G use for the phone and data is minimal as it is. That being said, when all the Sprint Towers around me are going crazy with timeouts, drops, no connectivity.....I dont expect to be as effected as much b/c I am primary using WiMax (towers owned by clearwire not part of NV). I won't even use my phone in 3G as nothing seems to work properly, long before NV was announced. If it wasn't for WiMax I would have ditched Spring awhile ago. On WiMax I get anywhere from 1.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps download speeds, its not that reliable, but it serves the get me over purpose to LTE.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I would die if I had to use 3G that is why I will not purchase a new LTE phone. The clock is ticking and if the new iphone is LTE and Sprint is draggin their heals my wife has made up her mind to ditch the MVNO that is Sprint.

the MVNO that is Sprint.

Um what does that mean.

MVNO – Mobile Virtual Network Operator (e.g. Firefly Mobile, NET10, Straight Talk, etc…). Basically, they use a major carrier’s network to offer (typically) cheaper plans because they don’t have to invest the money to maintain infrastructure.

Of course, this makes his statement somewhat confusing as Sprint is not an MVNO; it’s its own network operator through which MVNOs operate. I’m guessing it was some kind of jab at their service, or lack thereof from his perspective.

• Like 1

Yes it was a jab at a subpar network.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I would die if I had to use 3G that is why I will not purchase a new LTE phone. The clock is ticking and if the new iphone is LTE and Sprint is draggin their heals my wife has made up her mind to ditch the MVNO that is Sprint.

Don't make me close this thread. Maybe you guys need to read the rules again.

• Like 8