Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

When you get an EVDO connection, does cycling through airplane mode restore it to eHRPD? Or does it stay on EVDO?

Robert

i still have EvDo rev.A as my network at all sited from des plaines to glencoe that i have checked since yesterday. its seems the whole market is like this

Does the entire Chicago market use 1 core? ...and if so can anyone tell me if they get eHRPD or better yet LTE in the chicago market since yesterday?

i still have EvDo rev.A as my network at all sited from des plaines to glencoe that i have checked since yesterday. its seems the whole market is like this

Does the entire Chicago market use 1 core? ...and if so can anyone tell me if they get eHRPD or better yet LTE in the chicago market since yesterday?

There are two cores in the Chicago area. However, the network is designed that any site can be routed through any operational core dynamically. But I don't know if that feature is operational yet.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Anybody in the North suburb area (HP, Deerfield, Northbrook, Glenview etc) experience updated backhaul on their towers yet? The towers by me were mostly accepted 30-45 days ago but none of them appear to have activated backhaul yet. My wife is using an Evo Shift and still is getting frequent drops and speeds around .2down/.05up so I have to imagine that the backhaul hasn't been turned on yet.

Thanks.

I am getting a pretty constant lte signal in my house but have never seen the connection to ehrpd. On 3g it's always evdo or 1x

Where are you located? The nearest cross streets, please.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Not happy about this at all, seems like forever when you deal with issues daily. Im not switching just yet, but my patience is running thin! I will say though I did a speed test last night in Des Plaines where service is notoriously bad, and was surprised by a 1.2 mb download. Encouraging at least..

Sent you a message. Lte works only on the second floor of my house. Switch back to 3g on the main floor or outside

the tower that you are getting service from night be a good distance off, with little downtilt. They higher up, the better in this case

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

I found this link in the Trib article which is video of Azzi interview describing the "seam" which we all know is the problem of hand-off between new Samsung NV equipment and adjacent legacy Motorola cell sites in the Chicago NV deployment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/72106446/Business/Sprint-upgrades-network

At least they are coming out of the closet with it and trying to manage the PR to explain it better to the public to manage expectations.

Hold on Chicago, you will have LTE maybe even before the Bears clinch NFC Central Division! ;-)

Me jealous.

Chicago Tribune this PM -- the Sprint PR crew seems to be on overdrive lately.

http://www.chicagotr...0,3787175.story

this is the first public statement by Sprint that confirms that Chicagoland is on the near-term road map for Sprint's LTE market launch... although I believe that Robert's schedule had estimated the market being elligible for "launch" sooner, maybe October. But that may have been a function of overall percentage of completion estimates based upon number of NV sites cut-over (40%-50%) but given how Chicago market is being rolled out, in waves from outside into the loop, perhaps this will push the actual official "launch" closer to end of year.

of course it could be that Azzi was simply sandbagging in the article (under-promise and hopefully over-deliver) given the difficulties that Samsung has had in the Chicago market in deploying NV.

Excellent article, though if you have been on this site for awhile nothing really all that earth shattering or new here. I think the key statement is when the Sprint Exec was "asking for some patience". To me, that seems to be what this is all about, Im not really all that confident in this floated October launch, and Im not all that confident in some spotty regional chicagoland service at Launch. I am confident that by Dec 31, 2012 the network will be in place. Most people I know move around quite a bit, the last thing you would want is LTE in the loop, but not in Wicker Park, then it works in Schaumburg, but not in Orland, then you drive to Wheaton and its good, but not in Oak Brook, etc etc. That would extremely painstaking and frustrating in my opinion. I think its very important we give Sprint the time they require to really build out our market and wait for official word for market launch and market completion. I see zero point in running to a Sprint store right now for an LTE phone, or even in the next couple months.

Excellent article, though if you have been on this site for awhile nothing really all that earth shattering or new here. I think the key statement is when the Sprint Exec was "asking for some patience". To me, that seems to be what this is all about, Im not really all that confident in this floated October launch, and Im not all that confident in some spotty regional chicagoland service at Launch. I am confident that by Dec 31, 2012 the network will be in place. Most people I know move around quite a bit, the last thing you would want is LTE in the loop, but not in Wicker Park, then it works in Schaumburg, but not in Orland, then you drive to Wheaton and its good, but not in Oak Brook, etc etc. That would extremely painstaking and frustrating in my opinion. I think its very important we give Sprint the time they require to really build out our market and wait for official word for market launch and market completion. I see zero point in running to a Sprint store right now for an LTE phone, or even in the next couple months.

I for the most part agree. I think a quicker turn on is more important for 3g purposes, call quality, and timely text messages. Although I really want LTE sooner than later, the other issues are more prevalent to the majority of users. I'm happy that they officially acknowledged the market; 45% of build out so far according to this site is excellent and I really think (compared to other city completed sites) and hope the chicago market will launch sooner than the end of the year.

I for the most part agree. I think a quicker turn on is more important for 3g purposes, call quality, and timely text messages. Although I really want LTE sooner than later, the other issues are more prevalent to the majority of users. I'm happy that they officially acknowledged the market; 45% of build out so far according to this site is excellent and I really think (compared to other city completed sites) and hope the chicago market will launch sooner than the end of the year.

Wanna make a bet, over/under market launch November 5th?

I found this link in the Trib article which is video of Azzi interview describing the "seam" which we all know is the problem of hand-off between new Samsung NV equipment and adjacent legacy Motorola cell sites in the Chicago NV deployment.

http://www.chicagotr...pgrades-network

At least they are coming out of the closet with it and trying to manage the PR to explain it better to the public to manage expectations.

Hold on Chicago, you will have LTE maybe even before the Bears clinch NFC Central Division! ;-)

Me jealous.

Oh, LTE will be fantastic by the time the Bears clinch the NFC North. There's some gangly lookin' character from California who be leading that charge for the next five years...and after him, some Transformer dude is somewhere else in that same division posing yet another problem.

Aaron Rodgers is my hero, Calvin Johnson is a freak.

the tower that you are getting service from night be a good distance off, with little downtilt. They higher up, the better in this case

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

I don't know what the effective range of a tower is, but when on 3g the tower is about 2 miles as the crow flies. I haven't found a program that can find my tower when getting lte, though I would guess it's the same tower

Edited by ffstosh

I don't know what the effective range of a tower is, but when on 3g the tower is about 2 miles as the crow flies. I haven't found a program that can find my tower when getting lte, though I would guess it's the same tower

You can be connecting to different towers for each 3g, lte, & voice

Finally had some free time so I drove down to the tower that has 3G/4G complete I can actually see the tower haha. No 4G all but the 3G speeds are pretty amazing. If I had these speeds all day at my house I'd be happy

Sent From EVO LTE

post-218-13469607669232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Finally had some free time so I drove down to the tower that has 3G/4G complete I can actually see the tower haha. No 4G all but the 3G speeds are pretty amazing. If I had these speeds all day at my house I'd be happy

Sent From EVO LTE

What network mode was this tower using? eHRPD or EVDO...?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

What network mode was this tower using? eHRPD or EVDO...?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

EVDO. How ever I did connect to a tower that had eHRPD in Zion going north on greenbay road.

Sent From EVO LTE

Hey all... My friend called and complained about the horrible service over the last few months and got a $20 credit/month on his bill. They also said it should all be "Fixed" by September 7 (tomorrow). I'm guessing that might be the official roll-out date!? C'mon baby!

EVDO. How ever I did connect to a tower that had eHRPD in Zion going north on greenbay road.

Sent From EVO LTE

No way, no how, not a chance.

Now that I'm back in the city at my place and since I rarely am out in the burbs to take advantage of even a decent EVDO connection, I'm beginning to debate if it would be wise to return my Galaxy S3?

I can use an Epic 4G that has wimax in the mean time, because I'm getting a usual data connection of at best 80k down and probably 30k up. I mean I like the phone and all but thought Chicago would be live in part by now or soon, and I'm not bitching about the time frame bc it is what it is, but now I'm thinking using wimax in the meantime, and surely by the time lte really is available for downtown Chicago there will be newer "better" phones that will serve as the flagship phones, RIGHT?

Anyone got some feedback... please share!

Heck I heard the Galaxy S4 is rumored to be out in like 4-5 months.

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

No way, no how, not a chance.

Now that I'm back in the city at my place and since I rarely am out in the burbs to take advantage of even a decent EVDO connection, I'm beginning to debate if it would be wise to return my Galaxy S3?

I can use an Epic 4G that has wimax in the mean time, because I'm getting a usual data connection of at best 80k down and probably 30k up. I mean I like the phone and all but thought Chicago would be live in part by now or soon, and I'm not bitching about the time frame bc it is what it is, but now I'm thinking using wimax in the meantime, and surely by the time lte really is available for downtown Chicago there will be newer "better" phones that will serve as the flagship phones, RIGHT?

Anyone got some feedback... please share!

Heck I heard the Galaxy S4 is rumored to be out in like 4-5 months.

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

way bro ill take a snapshot tomorrow when I head over to my other job down in Illinois tomorrow.

Sent From EVO LTE