Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Just wanted to share that as of last Thursday night, both my wife's iPhone 4 and my old Palm Pre got large bumps in signal strength in an area we frequent. Admittedly, this is extremely unscientific, but our signal meters went from 1 bar, which was our old norm, to full bars. Also, running a speed test on my Pre gave > 1 Mb download speeds! I'm not sure which tower we were connected to, but it's possible it might be CH60XC032 in Hanover Park, or CH01XC174 in Streamwood, as those were scheduled to be upgraded (thanks to Robert's August maps!)

• Like 1

I am curious to see if it would hand off as well. Even if it was a hard hand off. I am thinking it won't though. I need to go back and look at the mcc mnc new records in the prl. I don't think it had smr in there. So I am thinking it wouldn't hand off due to the different sid. Kinda like how we don't hand off from native to roaming. It will be a wait and see.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I think the question on everyone's mind is will sprint be able to provide a smooth seamless experience for their customers. Most of the masses will not understand the difference between the signal penetration and what a 'hard handoff' means, but they will know if they loose a call and then suddenly have more bars. I am hoping that the engineers will make sure that the system is capable of handing off the call before the signal gets lost, which might actually be a handset design problem...

Just wanted to share that as of last Thursday night, both my wife's iPhone 4 and my old Palm Pre got large bumps in signal strength in an area we frequent. Admittedly, this is extremely unscientific, but our signal meters went from 1 bar, which was our old norm, to full bars. Also, running a speed test on my Pre gave > 1 Mb download speeds! I'm not sure which tower we were connected to, but it's possible it might be CH60XC032 in Hanover Park, or CH01XC174 in Streamwood, as those were scheduled to be upgraded (thanks to Robert's August maps!)

I don't know about the Pre, but the iPhone does not have the capability to connect to the 800MHz SMR spectrum. The upgrades would account for the increase in speed but not that type of dramatic jump in signal strength. I would assume that they activated another tower in your area that is closer to you and that is what accounted for the signal boost. Now I have no proof, and without more information about the actual increase in signal strength and NV projects, I cannot truthfully say what you are experiencing. I know from an older post, that there are approximately 1000 Nextel towers that were being decommissioned and going to be used for additional coverage, so it is a possibility.

I know from an older post, that there are approximately 1000 Nextel towers that were being decommissioned and going to be used for additional coverage, so it is a possibility.

That last I heard, less than 100 Nextel only sites are going to be converted to Network Vision CDMA/LTE.

Robert

That last I heard, less than 100 Nextel only sites are going to be converted to Network Vision CDMA/LTE.

Robert

Sorry, I have to remember that other sites are not as reliable with their numbers. But was that 100 out of the currently decommissioned towers, or the total planned to be utilized? If it was just out of the recently thinned towers, then there is a possibility that more might be converted to CDMA/LTE after june2013... I am not trying to say that you are wrong on the number, I am just hoping that they will utilize more of these towers in areas that are very thin on coverage. Thanks for keeping me honest though.

Okay, Today I turned my phone on and for some reason it started up in safe mode and for the first time the 4g icon was on. Any explanations? The excitment did not last long after restarting the phone to take it off safe mode because none of my non-factory apps were displaying.post-3967-0-99320400-1345008674_thumb.png

The towers below are the closest to my house - can anyone confirm if the backhaul has been completed on these and what kind of backhaul it is (any additional info on these would be great as well!).. Thank you!!

CH03XC935

CH03XC496

The towers below are the closest to my house - can anyone confirm if the backhaul has been completed on these and what kind of backhaul it is (any additional info on these would be great as well!).. Thank you!!

CH03XC935

CH03XC496

Edit: removed tower info

Something to keep in mind with those dates... the backhaul vendors are still behind in our area, so, if you're still seeing extremely slow 3G speeds, then you can assume right there that the backhaul hasn't been upgraded. Best way to know for sure is to speedtest those two towers daily. Once the new backhaul is in, you'll know ;)

Been getting a 4G signal on and off at my home in Matteson. I noticed it last night around 2AM. I've seen it again this morning, but the speeds are sub 1Mbps. What's up with that?

I live in Matteson as well and it seems to me like they've shut off the tower off Southwick across from Bank of America. Yesterday, I was right there off Cicero and couldn't pull a 4G signal. I tried toggling airplane mode, CDMA vs LTE/CDMA as well as turning mobile data off and back on. A week or so ago, I was pulling consistent 4G speeds when connected. I was inside Target pulling about 15-17 Mbps which allowed me to show off my Slingbox app to this older couple.

Starting to get great 3g speeds as of this week in the northwest suburbs of chicago, more specifically wheeling/prospect heights area. getting on average betweeen 0.8mbps and 1.4mbps depending on the time of day. for most of this year, and up to last week I would be lucky if i got 400kbps.

Would check to see if 4G LTE is up but I only have an iphone :/

Been getting a 4G signal on and off at my home in Matteson. I noticed it last night around 2AM. I've seen it again this morning, but the speeds are sub 1Mbps. What's up with that?

Might be hooked to legacy backhaul for testing, then they will block until NV backhaul is installed and ready

Might be hooked to legacy backhaul for testing, then they will block until NV backhaul is installed and ready

Are you going to be driving around the homewood-flossmoor area anytime soon. I would love to see if there is LTE coverage around there where I spend a lot of time.

For what its worth i was speaking to the sprint rep to credit my account for dropped calls (it was very easy and they where very helpful BTW) and the customer service supervisor told me that they will start turning 4g towers on and keeping them on within the week. Im not stating this as a fact but it is a fact that I was told this by sprint customer rep supervisor.

• Like 1

Well, here's what I found. Robert may have more up to date info...

CH03XC935 -

CH03XC496 -

Something to keep in mind with those dates... the backhaul vendors are still behind in our area, so, if you're still seeing extremely slow 3G speeds, then you can assume right there that the backhaul hasn't been upgraded. Best way to know for sure is to speedtest those two towers daily. Once the new backhaul is in, you'll know ;)

Didn't you read the email from Robert saying how premier sponsors SHOULD NOT be giving away the information we have access to to people are aren't paid sponsors? Defeats the purpose of sponsoring the site.

Didn't you read the email from Robert saying how premier sponsors SHOULD NOT be giving away the information we have access to to people are aren't paid sponsors? Defeats the purpose of sponsoring the site.

I didn't think giving the backhaul info would be a big deal... I knew sharing screenshots of the maps or linking the maps was not allowed, but I edited the post removing the info. My apologies.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner