Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Elgin is still crawling. No updated backhaul. Still waiting. Sigh:(

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint is doing a lot of microwave backhaul in the Chicago market to fill in gaps. I keep watching for small little dishes on the towers in my town. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

To continue where I left off last night, Sprint might -- and I do stress might -- decide to have all mobiles idle on SMR 476 (or SMR 526 in markets with other ESMR incumbents). Even though voice traffic is not the primary focus that it once was, voice traffic could still overwhelm the single CDMA1X 800 carrier. So, when setting up a traffic channel, a Sprint BSC could use open loop power estimation (e.g. 800 MHz > 1900 MHz by ~7 dB) to determine if a particular mobile would have sufficient signal strength to support the traffic channel on CDMA1X 1900 instead. If so, the BSC would redirect the mobile to a traffic channel on one of several CDMA1X 1900 carriers. Conversely, if the mobile would lack sufficient signal strength to carry the traffic channel at PCS 1900 MHz, the BSC would set up the traffic channel on the single CDMA1X 800 carrier.

Why might Sprint do this? Psychology. Most subs judge signal strength not by actual ability to make/receive calls but by number of signal bars on their idle handsets as they move about during their daily lives. If Sprint were to push out new PRLs and have all band class 10 capable handsets idle on CDMA1X 800, that would be an immediate booster shot for signal strength -- whether measured by signal bars or dBm -- and could help to improve Sprint's perception as a carrier with strong coverage.

AJ

I am sure sprint is drooling at the opportunity to increase the number of "bars". There are so many people that I've talked to that think having a voice call with 5-6 bars vs. 1-2 bars is a big deal to them. They are afraid the call will drop.

How will Sprint decide to select which band a user will connect to LTE? It seems like that should be a much more elegant solution.

Don't worry about Chicago' date=' at 22 sites in 2 weeks there isn't much to talk about. Maybe they are formulating a huge plan for the city still.[/quote']

They have to be.....right??

They have to be.....right??

Well there is only a few options to consider really.

1. "Launch" the Chicago market without adequate NV completed and LTE capabilities within the city proper or Loop area. Probably a fair amount of consumer backlash here.

2. Wait to "Launch" the Chicago market until a large portion if not all Chicago proper or Loop sites are completed. Understanding this would push "launch" back by a few months.

3. Do nothing and stick to the rumored plan regardless of NV progress; launch Chicago market in October with something like 30-40% of sites completed and wait for fill in of NV in the coming months which will improve coverage over time.

I got a 4G signal on my EVO 4G LTE at the Speedway in Joliet. I took a screenshot of my home screen but not sure how to upload it here.

fp1opy.png

http://www.howardforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84240&d=1345820822

Awesome, they'll have a nice load test when NASCAR comes to Chicagoland Speedway next month.

• Like 1

Any reason why there hasn't been much progress in the last 2 weeks in Chicago?

There hasn't been much progress? Are you sure? Note that our weekly updates show sites that Sprint has accepted as complete from Network Vision OEM's. There are still hundreds of workers working on sites and things are still progressing. Chicago is flying compared to other markets. They are closing in on 50% of sites converted. Way more than any other.

Robert

Today, when I was using my EVO LTE, it never goes to 3G and only connects to 1X. Whenever it toggles to 3G, it only stays there for 2-3 seconds and then it goes back to 1X. This has never happened before and the tower I am connected to is a 3G NV completed tower and it had 2.1 Mbps speed before today. Does this show anything like 800 CDMA or LTE upgrade going on?

Today, when I was using my EVO LTE, it never goes to 3G and only connects to 1X. Whenever it toggles to 3G, it only stays there for 2-3 seconds and then it goes back to 1X. This has never happened before and the tower I am connected to is a 3G NV completed tower and it had 2.1 Mbps speed before today.

Out of curiosity...are you connected to a 800MHz carrier when this happens?

Robert

I'm sorry but I am a noob on how to do that. How are you able to check that on the EVO LTE?

Enter ##DEBUG# in your telephone dialer. Select 1x Engineering. Look to see what Channel and Band Class. If it says Band Class 10, Channel 476, then your 1x is connected to a 800MHz carrier.

Robert

• Like 1

Sprint is actually using Ethernet

There is some microwave included in the Chicago market deployment. It is not 100% ethernet.

Robert

• Like 1

Enter ##DEBUG# in your telephone dialer. Select 1x Engineering. Look to see what Channel and Band Class. If it says Band Class 10, Channel 476, then your 1x is connected to a 800MHz carrier.

Robert

Thanks! It says neither of those.

Feel free to share' date=' or get with Robert.[/quote']

Yeah, I like documents. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Yeah' date=' I like documents. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner[/quote']

I messaged him about them when I first got them. No response.