Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Backhaul must finally be installed at the tower near my house. CH13XC011. I have 3g speed test giving my 1.9/mbps down and .75/mbpd up. i haven't had over .10/mbps down in over 2 months

Can anyone tell me what type of backhaul this tower received?

I have also noticed that the signal is stronger inside my house. They might not have switched from the legacy equipment to the NV until the backhaul was installed.

• Like 2

Backhaul must finally be installed at the tower near my house. CH13XC011. I have 3g speed test giving my 1.9/mbps down and .75/mbpd up. i haven't had over .10/mbps down in over 2 months

Can anyone tell me what type of backhaul this tower received?

I have also noticed that the signal is stronger inside my house. They might not have switched from the legacy equipment to the NV until the backhaul was installed.

It has ethernet backhaul

Drove up the Tri State from 88 to Lake Cook just to try something different. There is essentially no backhaul the entire way: full bars, zero data from Oakbrook to Deerfield. It took Rdio twenty minutes to buffer one lousy song. As far as I can tell, data is at an absolute trickle throughout the vast majority of Chicagoland, to the point where there effectively is no network. It has been this way since at least April. This is getting outrageous, Sprint. Speed up the rollout.

• Like 1

A friend of mine who has the Samsung Galaxy S3, obviously LTE, sent me the following speedtest screenshot. He lives in the city proper, but I know his folks live out in Saint John, IN, which according to the latest NV progress map shows NW Indiana has a bunch of completed NV sites. He told me this is the first time hes been to St. John since getting the Galaxy S3 and boom the 4G LTE symbol lite up on his phone so he did the following speedtest. No clue why the Upload speed is around 8MB (blazing fast) and the Download speed is around 3MB, fast, but not mind blowing.

4GLTE.png

Edited by Joeynach

I drive to alsip IN regularly for work and sprints lte is live there, however its disappointing. I got 3.5 mb down and 3.4 up and another test I got 8 down and 3.5 up again. This is extremely disappointing seeing as I've seen hspa+ get better numbers and i've had comparable if not better with wimax.......

Also I no longer can get a 4g signal at 95th and 59. I just hope that chicago's lte will be a little faster

I was hoping for a market announcement this morning in the earnings call. No dice.

They announced a few other cities for beginning of September. I was hoping Chicago would be early September but looks like it won't be.

Also I no longer can get a 4g signal at 95th and 59. I just hope that chicago's lte will be a little faster

Are you noticing inconsistent 3G speeds at that intersection? Was curious since my tower (@Eola and Hafenrichter) is all over the place now.

I know the network is kind of crappy while we wait for nv upgrades to be completed but last couple of days have been horrendous in Elgin. Calls not coming through or going out. Same for texts. Also, no data connection or extremely slow. Around the river by the library is where I see most of the problems.

Any idea what's going on I thought the equipment on the towers were upgraded already and we where just waiting on back haul upgrades?!?

I know the network is kind of crappy while we wait for nv upgrades to be completed but last couple of days have been horrendous in Elgin. Calls not coming through or going out. Same for texts. Also, no data connection or extremely slow. Around the river by the library is where I see most of the problems.

Any idea what's going on I thought the equipment on the towers were upgraded already and we where just waiting on back haul upgrades?!?

That's probably a good sign, at least in the Chicago market.

I was down at the library today and my friend was with me who has the Optimus and he could not even hold a 3G connection. It was really bad and he said his phone hasn't been working around Elgin for awhile.

We have been having this issue for the last couple of days too. For us (3 phones on plan) it seems to mostly strike between about 4 pm and 8 pm in the evening. Most to all calls and texts fail.

Last night my phone rang, I answered it, silence on the line then it disconnected. Then 2-3 minutes later I got a voicemail notification.

My wife and I are getting very very aggravated with this. Phone service had gotten a lot better in the last few months, after the april call dropping issues during the tower upgrades. Data is still hit or miss.

They need to get this stuff fixed. But we need working phones. We both work, she has an a 90 minute commute to the city and we have a 1 year old at home. We need our phones.

New Lenox area (just east of Joliet).

We have been having this issue for the last couple of days too. For us (3 phones on plan) it seems to mostly strike between about 4 pm and 8 pm in the evening. Most to all calls and texts fail.

Last night my phone rang, I answered it, silence on the line then it disconnected. Then 2-3 minutes later I got a voicemail notification.

My wife and I are getting very very aggravated with this. Phone service had gotten a lot better in the last few months, after the april call dropping issues during the tower upgrades. Data is still hit or miss.

They need to get this stuff fixed. But we need working phones. We both work, she has an a 90 minute commute to the city and we have a 1 year old at home. We need our phones.

New Lenox area (just east of Joliet).

Keep in mind that this isn't a sprint a rant board, and we are not affiliated with sprint in anyway. If you have issues, please contact sprint directly.
  • Like 4

Does anyone know what the theoretical expectation is for speeds once NV is complete, both the front end and back haul. With 4G WiMax now I get 6-10Mbps download speeds. Wonder what a completed post NV 4G LTE speed would be?

Keep in mind that this isn't a sprint a rant board' date=' and we are not affiliated with sprint in anyway. If you have issues, please contact sprint directly.[/quote']

Thanks, I've noticed that this thread has been spiraling downward into nothing but complaints. We know that Chicago has bad service right now, but there is a reason that Samsung has the gas pedal mashed to the floor on that market. Once backhaul catches up, Chicago should be looking sexy for coverage. Until then, please keep the conversation away from rants and pure negativity. As newspapercrane said, if you are having problems with your service, call sprint. Maybe you should consider asking to have your sprint account put on hold for a few months and go get a cheap prepaid phone. That will at least get voice services. You could still use your smartphone on WiFi...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Does anyone know what the theoretical expectation is for speeds once NV is complete' date=' both the front end and back haul. With 4G WiMax now I get 6-10Mbps download speeds. Wonder what a completed post NV 4G LTE speed would be?[/quote']

Sprint is promising consistent speeds of 6-8mbps down and 2-3mbps up, but they are tempering those estimates for connections to loaded carriers and weak connections. Much higher is possible in the right conditions. People have posted speeds over 30up and 15down on here.

• Like 1

Sprint is promising consistent speeds of 6-8mbps down and 2-3mbps up, but they are tempering those estimates for connections to loaded carriers and weak connections. Much higher is possible in the right conditions. People have posted speeds over 30up and 15down on here.

Uh Scott, isn't that supposed to be over 30down and 15up?

No sprint predicted that number once the lte network is up and running and has user's

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Isn't that what I said?

Thanks, I've noticed that this thread has been spiraling downward into nothing but complaints. We know that Chicago has bad service right now, but there is a reason that Samsung has the gas pedal mashed to the floor on that market. Once backhaul catches up, Chicago should be looking sexy for coverage. Until then, please keep the conversation away from rants and pure negativity. As newspapercrane said, if you are having problems with your service, call sprint. Maybe you should consider asking to have your sprint account put on hold for a few months and go get a cheap prepaid phone. That will at least get voice services. You could still use your smartphone on WiFi...

I'm just making observations as the upgrades continue and of course venting some frustration.

Sprint is having tremendous problems in Elgin on some towers. I thought I'd voice what I've been experiencing to see if any other members have any insight on probable causes.

I'm also seeing the worst problems after 4pm. So maybe the problem is not just at the towers.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2