Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Really? You are a first round market, just too big to launch right away. Heck Chicago might be the largest amount of towers to deploy in any market in the country. Jeeesh. Many people on this site wont see LTE from Sprint till the end of 2013 into 2014.

Personally, I think the Chicago market is getting Sprint's full attention right now.

It's also obvious that if Sprint announced a launch of Chicago right now there would be a gigantic backlash of everyone actually in Chicago. All the other networks were able to add LTE to sporadic sites within the markets to launch, where as Samsung chose (had?) to upgrade every tower in each outer sector before moving closer to the city.

Otherwise, back to earlier points, might as well just turn the towers on, not tell anyone, and let those who pick it up feel like they are on the inside of an awesome secret.

Your right about the do it right or don't do it at all sprint is doing but I don't know the actual numbers but I would think its because Chicago is a big sprint market I personally know a lot of fellow sprint customers old and new

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I've been having same problems and it's getting really annoying. I don't get phone calls, my texts come 1 day late, and my voice mails never show up. Every time I talk to sprint they keep telling me to update the prl & the profile and it doesn't change anything.

I live near midway airport and have the same exact thing going on. I have received of 25 of the same texts from my fathering law, my phone doesn't ring, I don't get text from my wife (also Sprint) and constant domestic roaming. I am going to chalk it up to NV upgrades and hope they are finshed soon. My wife as given me a deadline of the release of the new iPhone. If it is out and Sprint is still awful here in Chicago we are going to the big V. Sad but my wife needs her cell service for work.

I live near midway airport and have the same exact thing going on. I have received of 25 of the same texts from my fathering law, my phone doesn't ring, I don't get text from my wife (also Sprint) and constant domestic roaming. I am going to chalk it up to NV upgrades and hope they are finshed soon. My wife as given me a deadline of the release of the new iPhone. If it is out and Sprint is still awful here in Chicago we are going to the big V. Sad but my wife needs her cell service for work.

I'm by the Pulaski train station and luckily only went a weekend with crappy service. I think its cuz there is an antenna right by my house. Now my sisters service in tinley park, Illinois is complete crap but sprint is working on it since we finally get 500kbps there.

EVO 4G LTE:it's back on im using LTE right now in EGV.

When you get a chance, take a screen shot of a speed test and post. Thanks.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'm in bridgview and I wanted to get the galaxy s3 but I'm gonna have to put up with 3g speeds for a bit.

I have some family near Midway which isn't far from you, and their service tanked recently. So, that definitely sounds like full blown NV deployment.

When you get a chance' date=' take a screen shot of a speed test and post. Thanks.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner[/quote']

In meetings for awhile but this is one from yesterday morning...

post-2640-0-85906600-1343922086_thumb.png

post-2640-0-85906600-1343922086_thumb.png

• Like 1

Im not complaining. Complaining is whining without thought, logic, and understanding of the situation. I understand the situation fully, I just dont agree with Sprint's established launch or roll-out strategy (for Chicago). I think its done with undertones of misleading tactic, and haste, haste for competitive and marketing speak purposes.

I also find comparing this to "its what Verizon did" is a poor comparison. Its difficult to make an apples to apple comparison here becuase Sprint is dealing with a myriad of network upgrade issues that Im not sure Verizon had to deal with. Was Verizon upgrading their 3G sites along with their LTE build out? Was their 3G network as antiquated and overloaded as Sprint's when they started the build out? Did they have issues with connectivity, dropped calls, slow speeds during their upgrades? Were they also using the legacy motorola equipment that seems to often times has been said to make things difficult to complete the upgrade? What backhaul were they using previously, were they even upgrading the backhaul during their LTE build out?

Looking at Sprint and only Sprint, no other wireless providers, I feel that given what we know about the NV upgrades in the area, the best rollout strategy is what one of the admin's described earlier "What Sprint should do differently is not announce market "launches" until later. Customers are expecting better coverage at market launch. However, if they say they are opening up early when and where available, but the market will formally launch in a few more months, this would probably be much better from a customer service standpoint."

Great post!

I was under the impression that Verizon did their LTE deployment in an "overlay" fashion, basically using the propagation characteristic of 700mhz, to blanket coverage, and go in afterwards to fill.

Which Pulaski train stop?? Green line or metra??

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

My bad should of thought about other train station colors lol ... I'm by the orange line train station by Currie High School.

4G all day in ITASCA/ELK GROVE. Have screenshots of opensignal app to pinpoint tower location and googlemaps also. Pulling down 8-13MBPS

During what hours are you seeing this? Around 10:30 last night, I got off 290 at Thorndale and wandered around the subdivision at the corner of 290 and Thorndale. After not picking anything up, I took Prospect to Devon, then drove north on Tonne, but still didn't get anything. Were you on the west side of 290?

During what hours are you seeing this? Around 10:30 last night, I got off 290 at Thorndale and wandered around the subdivision at the corner of 290 and Thorndale. After not picking anything up, I took Prospect to Devon, then drove north on Tonne, but still didn't get anything. Were you on the west side of 290?

It had shut off by the time I left work yesterday (7PM). It was on by the time I got to work (devon/arlington heights rd) today. I'll check in a few hours when I'm back at office again. The lat/long should be on the image I posted if not I have more to post later. Hope this helps although the best speeds I saw were 12-14MBPS.

• Like 1

It had shut off by the time I left work yesterday (7PM). It was on by the time I got to work (devon/arlington heights rd) today. I'll check in a few hours when I'm back at office again. The lat/long should be on the image I posted if not I have more to post later. Hope this helps although the best speeds I saw were 12-14MBPS.

Oh crap, I'm blind. Yep, I was right at that intersection, just a few hours too late. Maybe I'll take the scenic route through that area to wherever I'm going tonight, if you wouldn't mind letting us know if it's still on?

• Like 1

Oh crap, I'm blind. Yep, I was right at that intersection, just a few hours too late. Maybe I'll take the scenic route through that area to wherever I'm going tonight, if you wouldn't mind letting us know if it's still on?

Of course bro, I'll def update as soon as I'm back at office (anxious to get back and test again). I'm almost sure its a single tower because its a very small area that LTE is available. I figured this would be a big deal to someone...some Dbag at XDA deleted my thread about the find so no one there is aware of this either when I'm sure there are interested parties in the area.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: This is not a complaint! Ive seen what happens to complainers around here. I am curious and am looking for insight...

Now that that is out the way... The tower near my house that i have been closely following has had great 3g speeds (2+ mbps) that i can only assume is from the finally installed backhaul over the last 2 weeks. I am very happy about the NV rollout progress in Chicago and my area and am just curious about what people think is going on when this happens;

This is the second time since i have got the improved speed that it goes back to my old situation ( pings over 700, DL speeds less that .05/mbps)

I am interested to hear specifically what people with more knowledge of the rollout than i have might say is causing this to happen. I personally cant think why they would need to disconnect the new backhaul temporarily on more than one occasion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Disclaimer: This is not a complaint! Ive seen what happens to complainers around here. I am curious and am looking for insight... Now that that is out the way... The tower near my house that i have been closely following has had great 3g speeds (2+ mbps) that i can only assume is from the finally installed backhaul over the last 2 weeks. I am very happy about the NV rollout progress in Chicago and my area and am just curious about what people think is going on when this happens; This is the second time since i have got the improved speed that it goes back to my old situation ( pings over 700, DL speeds less that .05/mbps) I am interested to hear specifically what people with more knowledge of the rollout than i have might say is causing this to happen. I personally cant think why they would need to disconnect the new backhaul temporarily on more than one occasion. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Seems to me the most obvious possible answer is the site you are connected to. It seems unlikely that they would be repeatedly be disconnecting upgraded backhaul. If you go into your DEBUG menu, you can track which 1x and EVDO channels and sites you are connected to during both good and bad times. Then you will really know what you are connected to and when.

I would be surprised if the EVDO channel and BSID are the same when you have good performance and bad performance.

Robert

Seems to me the most obvious possible answer is the site you are connected to. It seems unlikely that they would be repeatedly be disconnecting upgraded backhaul. If you go into your DEBUG menu, you can track which 1x and EVDO channels and sites you are connected to during both good and bad times. Then you will really know what you are connected to and when.

I would be surprised if the EVDO channel and BSID are the same when you have good performance and bad performance.

Robert

I use CDMA field test and set the BSID tracking before the backhaul originally was installed. I can confirm that I have been connected to BSID 619 whenever Im at my house and test. I cant speak to which channels I use but I will check.

I use CDMA field test and set the BSID tracking before the backhaul originally was installed. I can confirm that I have been connected to BSID 619 whenever Im at my house and test. I cant speak to which channels I use but I will check.

Knowing if its happening on different channels is important to help figure this out. Thanks.

Also, CDMA Field Test only gives you the BSID for the 1x carrier you are connected to. You can be connected to a completely different site for EVDO.

Knowing if its happening on different channels is important to help figure this out. Thanks.

Also, CDMA Field Test only gives you the BSID for the 1x carrier you are connected to. You can be connected to a completely different site for EVDO.

ok. I took screen shots of the info while its running slow. I will have to wait until i see better results to compare.

ok. I took screen shots of the info while its running slow. I will have to wait until i see better results to compare.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the two. When my backhaul was upgraded, I too was seeing fantastic speeds, and after a month they dropped off. Currently, I can't test anything because my tower went dead and I've been roaming for almost a week now :(

Once it's back up I'm curious to see if I'm on different channels when performance is good vs bad.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner