Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Thanks, I've noticed that this thread has been spiraling downward into nothing but complaints. We know that Chicago has bad service right now, but there is a reason that Samsung has the gas pedal mashed to the floor on that market. Once backhaul catches up, Chicago should be looking sexy for coverage. Until then, please keep the conversation away from rants and pure negativity. As newspapercrane said, if you are having problems with your service, call sprint. Maybe you should consider asking to have your sprint account put on hold for a few months and go get a cheap prepaid phone. That will at least get voice services. You could still use your smartphone on WiFi...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

I thought this forum was trying to stay away from complaints. While complaints are warranted in Chicago-land, there are other forums that would be more appropriate.

Thats going to be awfully hard for a lot of folks to swallow and very risky on Sprint's part. Im worried about consumer backlash/social media uproar, etc.

Sprint was already experiencing a backlash and social media uproar before it started deploying LTE or selling LTE phones. Then it was receiving the backlash when LTE devices were being sold but no LTE was available. And it is still receiving the backlash with LTE devices and some LTE launched. Sprint is constantly being barraged by "the backlash." So it might as well do what is best for customers, sell the latest devices available and launch LTE as fast as possible, opening it up to customers at the very first moment possible at each site.

What Sprint should do differently is not announce market "launches" until later. Customers are expecting better coverage at market launch. However, if they say they are opening up early when and where available, but the market will formally launch in a few more months, this would probably be much better from a customer service standpoint.

I'm experiencing this in Los Alamos, New Mexico. I have a Verizon LTE hotspot. I have been using LTE in Los Alamos for three weeks. However, Verizon has not launched the market nor show coverage on their maps yet. Verizon customers are overjoyed getting LTE in advance of the market launch. They think they are special. ;)

Robert

• Like 2

What Sprint should do differently is not announce market "launches" until later. Customers are expecting better coverage at market launch. However, if they say they are opening up early when and where available, but the market will formally launch in a few more months, this would probably be much better from a customer service standpoint.

This I believe is better launch strategy, but I am not the Director of Strategic Operations at Sprint so its not my call.

• Like 2

Everyone needs to keep in mind that we have a ton more information on this site than sprint would like us to have. Hell, we have more information then most mid level corporate Sprint sales people do. Without the knowledge we get at this site if sprint launched a market we would have no clue how many cell towers actually were completed and what percentage areas were launched at. Keep that in mind before we go after Sprint with pitchforks and torches.

Based on the original dates that were published on this site for Chicago, it looks like sprint was starting with spotty coverage throughout the area with 3g/4g upgrades and gradually filling in the holes. With that method a lot of us would have had 4g coverage from a further away tower than the local one when launched. With the huge problems they had it appears like they are moving in lines now covering entire areas at a time and converting every tower. Because of sprint having to completly change the way Chicago was rolled out I really think it will be winter before we get 4g. I hope I am wrong.

I am really not trying to sound like I am coming down on anyone, I just like to keep things in perspective.

Sent from my EVO LTE

I'm experiencing this in Los Alamos, New Mexico. I have a Verizon LTE hotspot. I have been using LTE in Los Alamos for three weeks. However, Verizon has not launched the market nor show coverage on their maps yet. Verizon customers are overjoyed getting LTE in advance of the market launch. They think they are special. ;)

Robert

I agree. I have no idea why they can't stick to their original mantra of "under promise, over deliver".

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal... but your reference to Verizon is a perfect example of "under promise, over deliver".

Unrelated, I have been trying to reconcile the difference between the 2000 "on air" sites that Sprint has quoted as being complete on the Q2 conference call vs. the ~1500 or so that are really "on air" as shown by S4GRU. I noticed the same thing back at the end of Q1 where Sprint's "on air" number was slightly higher vs. S4GRU "on air". Is it 2,000 done but waiting to be accepted by Sprint, or am I missing something?

Unrelated' date=' I have been trying to reconcile the difference between the 2000 "on air" sites that Sprint has quoted as being complete on the Q2 conference call vs. the ~1500 or so that are really "on air" as shown by S4GRU. I noticed the same thing back at the end of Q1 where Sprint's "on air" number was slightly higher vs. S4GRU "on air". Is it 2,000 done but waiting to be accepted by Sprint, or am I missing something?[/quote']

I've wondered too. I guess it's possible they have as many as 500 sites completed but not accepted. They may also be counting all the sites that are currently actively being deployed. However, I only get accepted sites, so I don't have the data to try to figure it out.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

got these speeds in joliet today.

Were you just passing through? How long did you keep the LTE signal?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I live in joliet. This site has been active for at least a month. Its about 10 min from my house. I just went there to get a taste of lte! I stayed active the whole time I was there... about 30 min. I streamed slingbox for about 15 min and it was sweet! The site is at right where I55 meets I80

• Like 1

Sprint was already experiencing a backlash and social media uproar before it started deploying LTE or selling LTE phones. Then it was receiving the backlash when LTE devices were being sold but no LTE was available. And it is still receiving the backlash with LTE devices and some LTE launched. Sprint is constantly being barraged by "the backlash." So it might as well do what is best for customers, sell the latest devices available and launch LTE as fast as possible, opening it up to customers at the very first moment possible at each site.

Robert

Sprint will eventually catch on. We'll see here soon if their original game plan has changed. Even ATT has done this with their LTE Deployment. The South Florida Market was recently announced last week, even though LTE coverage has been up an running for over a month.

I'm experiencing this in Los Alamos, New Mexico. I have a Verizon LTE hotspot. I have been using LTE in Los Alamos for three weeks. ...

Robert

I'm driving through your town tomorrow. I've been vacationing up in the Jemez Mountains for two weeks and will be driving back to Texas tomorrow. I wish I could take this mountain weather back with me.:(

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I'm driving through your town tomorrow. I've been vacationing up in the Jemez Mountains for two weeks and will be driving back to Texas tomorrow. I wish I could take this mountain weather back with me. :(

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

I love living in the mountains. I can't much handle temps over 85 degrees. Los Alamos has great Sprint 3G. Speeds always over 1Mbps on all three sites in town.

Robert

Got these speeds earlier damn near had a stroke lol! Can't wait for all the towers to be upgraded! Btw I was at the gas station on 41 and I believe martin Luther king road.

Sent From EVO LTE

post-218-13437087401913_thumb.jpg

Edited by 92EG8
  • Like 1

Everyone needs to keep in mind that we have a ton more information on this site than sprint would like us to have. Hell' date=' we have more information then most mid level corporate Sprint sales people do. Without the knowledge we get at this site if sprint launched a market we would have no clue how many cell towers actually were completed and what percentage areas were launched at. Keep that in mind before we go after Sprint with pitchforks and torches.

Sent from my EVO LTE[/quote']

This is so true. In fact, I had to call Sprint today because for some reason, I'm roaming at my house, when there's a tower only ~1700ft away. When I called, I advised that my phone shouldn't be roaming when a tower is that close and the rep agreed. The rep asked for my zip, which I provided and I then offered the tower ID. She was a little shocked, but took the info. After being on hold for about 5 mins, I was updated that there is a reported issue with the tower and techs were being dispatched to repair it. She then says, "you know in all the years I've been at Sprint, I've never had a customer give the tower ID to me. I'm quite impressed and it was very helpful". I had briefly mentioned this site (didn't give the name of it) and she was surprised that there's a community out there that just talks about NV.

Long story short, we should all be incredibly thankful this community exists. I know I am :)

And if you ever suspect an issue with a specific tower, give the tower ID... It really helps tech support ;)

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

• Like 4

Again I understand what Sprint is doing and that fact that its what Verizon did doesnt make right in my opinion either. I think its a poor strategy that's done more for competitive one ups-manship and carry's undertones of false advertising that the telcom's can essentially "get away with" by covering 30-40% of the market. Basically they are saying we are here Chicago come, join, buy, while knowing that a majority (at least initially) cant actually use the service. Not a big fan of that strategy, Verizon, Sprint, ATT, doesnt matter.

As for price I agree Sprint offers tremendous value over the Big Two (VZW and ATT). They have to, how else could they retain users or entice people to switch without offering a similar product at a cheaper price (or by staying unlimited data when the Big Two quit). That doesnt change my stance on poor market launch strategy, especially after significant network upgrade problems in the Chicago-land area. I dont think Sprint can afford a smoke and mirrors launch that will leave some consumers saying hey I waited out all the NV upgrade pains and resisted the urge to jump ship, now your live in Chicago and advertising your new LTE network like crazy....so I even go out and upgrade my device and I still dont get LTE/post NV network coverage. Thats going to be awfully hard for a lot of folks to swallow and very risky on Sprint's part. Im worried about consumer backlash/social media uproar, etc.

I thought this forum was trying to stay away from complaints. While complaints are warranted in Chicago-land, there are other forums that would be more appropriate.

All that I could picture while reading that post was this:

lolcatsdotcomkj9qqzegnrahk8de.jpg

All that I could picture while reading that post was this:

Im not complaining. Complaining is whining without thought, logic, and understanding of the situation. I understand the situation fully, I just dont agree with Sprint's established launch or roll-out strategy (for Chicago). I think its done with undertones of misleading tactic, and haste, haste for competitive and marketing speak purposes.

I also find comparing this to "its what Verizon did" is a poor comparison. Its difficult to make an apples to apple comparison here becuase Sprint is dealing with a myriad of network upgrade issues that Im not sure Verizon had to deal with. Was Verizon upgrading their 3G sites along with their LTE build out? Was their 3G network as antiquated and overloaded as Sprint's when they started the build out? Did they have issues with connectivity, dropped calls, slow speeds during their upgrades? Were they also using the legacy motorola equipment that seems to often times has been said to make things difficult to complete the upgrade? What backhaul were they using previously, were they even upgrading the backhaul during their LTE build out?

Looking at Sprint and only Sprint, no other wireless providers, I feel that given what we know about the NV upgrades in the area, the best rollout strategy is what one of the admin's described earlier "What Sprint should do differently is not announce market "launches" until later. Customers are expecting better coverage at market launch. However, if they say they are opening up early when and where available, but the market will formally launch in a few more months, this would probably be much better from a customer service standpoint."

I also have a recent MBA in Strategy, Organization, and Environment so my views are quite skewed towards corporate macro level strategic decisions, such as market launch decisions.

I also have a recent MBA in Strategy' date=' Organization, and Environment so my views are quite skewed towards corporate macro level strategic decisions, such as market launch decisions.[/quote']

I think that there might be multiple factors that someone outside Sprint corporate headquarters wouldn't have knowledge of. Their strategy may appear flawed to the customer, but the survival of the company might well hinge on how they pull off this network overhaul. I'm sure they have carefully planned every move.

Sent from JBToro on Forum Runner

• Like 2

I think that there might be multiple factors that someone outside Sprint corporate headquarters wouldn't have knowledge of. Their strategy may appear flawed to the customer, but the survival of the company might well hinge on how they pull off this network overhaul. I'm sure they have carefully planned every move.

Sent from JBToro on Forum Runner

Sure and it may work out great in many of their major markets, I wish Sprint well I really do. I am a Sprint customer and also have numerous friends employed by the company. Just seems to me their strategy is a little riskier in Chicago, especially with the increased instances of difficulties b/c of the presence of the Motorola legacy equipment in place. Another idea would be to "reward" their Chicago customers for their patience and diligence during NV and the LTE build out. Perhaps announce a special deal for 5% of any new smartphone for the first few weeks post LTE launch or offer a $10 credit to all Chicago based customer's Bills. In my experience these kind of non required gestures usually get eaten up by the public, not b/c $10 off on someone's bill is a huge deal, but b/c it shows the big corporation is aware of the little old customer's issues, is listening, and active in trying to appease their subscriber base. Traditionally Telco's 's get such bad reputations in these areas and have to fight the default stigma they dont give a crap and are there to screw the customer over......Sprint has an opportunity here in Chicago to inspire some confidence and loyalty. But hell, what do I know.

• Like 1

Sure and it may work out great in many of their major markets, I wish Sprint well I really do. I am a Sprint customer and also have numerous friends employed by the company. Just seems to me their strategy is a little riskier in Chicago, especially with the increased instances of difficulties b/c of the presence of the Motorola legacy equipment in place. Another idea would be to "reward" their Chicago customers for their patience and diligence during NV and the LTE build out. Perhaps announce a special deal for 5% of any new smartphone for the first few weeks post LTE launch or offer a $10 credit to all Chicago based customer's Bills. In my experience these kind of non required gestures usually get eaten up by the public, not b/c $10 off on someone's bill is a huge deal, but b/c it shows the big corporation is aware of the little old customer's issues, is listening, and active in trying to appease their subscriber base. Traditionally Telco's 's get such bad reputations in these areas and have to fight the default stigma they dont give a crap and are there to screw the customer over......Sprint has an opportunity here in Chicago to inspire some confidence and loyalty. But hell, what do I know.

That probably would win them some favor in the hearts of Chicago customers, but it would no doubt draw ire from the customers across the country who have suffered through months and months of "subpar service." Chicago is one of the largest markets in the country with thousands of cell sites, it is currently the farthest along of any market currently under construction, and it has Samsung's full attention. I realize that most Chicago customers are not members here, and don't know how much effort is being put into that market, but Chicago is not the center of the universe. If Sprint loses some customers because of the upgrade pains, I'm sure they have forecasted that, and are prepared.

The Chicago market was like walking into an ambush for Sprint. Do you stop in the hail of bullets and make a plan? Or do you charge into the gunfire and finish the job?

• Like 2

This is true, in fact if Wall Street is any indication, Sprint is on the right track.

Sprint has an opportunity here in Chicago to inspire some confidence and loyalty. But hell, what do I know.

Not only in Chicago but everywhere Sprint offers service.

I realize that most Chicago customers are not members here, and don't know how much effort is being put into that market, but Chicago is not the center of the universe.

Correct, New York is. MUWHAHAHAHAHA

All joking aside, it takes time to build out a network with a vision as big as Network Vision and we are just starting to see the tiny seeds breaking the surface.

TS

• Like 3

That probably would win them some favor in the hearts of Chicago customers, but it would no doubt draw ire from the customers across the country who have suffered through months and months of "subpar service." Chicago is one of the largest markets in the country with thousands of cell sites, it is currently the farthest along of any market currently under construction, and it has Samsung's full attention. I realize that most Chicago customers are not members here, and don't know how much effort is being put into that market, but Chicago is not the center of the universe. If Sprint loses some customers because of the upgrade pains, I'm sure they have forecasted that, and are prepared.

The Chicago market was like walking into an ambush for Sprint. Do you stop in the hail of bullets and make a plan? Or do you charge into the gunfire and finish the job?

Well the end of Chicago would be the end of my world but speaking from a chicagoan IMO I dont think we have enough attention different areas across the country are already on lte with less completion not to be impatient but hurry up sprint so I can get that white sgs3 ;)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Really? You are a first round market, just too big to launch right away. Heck Chicago might be the largest amount of towers to deploy in any market in the country. Jeeesh. Many people on this site wont see LTE from Sprint till the end of 2013 into 2014.

Personally, I think the Chicago market is getting Sprint's full attention right now.

It's also obvious that if Sprint announced a launch of Chicago right now there would be a gigantic backlash of everyone actually in Chicago. All the other networks were able to add LTE to sporadic sites within the markets to launch, where as Samsung chose (had?) to upgrade every tower in each outer sector before moving closer to the city.

Otherwise, back to earlier points, might as well just turn the towers on, not tell anyone, and let those who pick it up feel like they are on the inside of an awesome secret.

I've been having same problems and it's getting really annoying. I don't get phone calls, my texts come 1 day late, and my voice mails never show up. Every time I talk to sprint they keep telling me to update the prl & the profile and it doesn't change anything.

I've been having same problems and it's getting really annoying. I don't get phone calls' date=' my texts come 1 day late, and my voice mails never show up. Every time I talk to sprint they keep telling me to update the prl & the profile and it doesn't change anything.[/quote']

What part of Chicago are you in? Sounds like an area where NV deployment is in full gear. Unfortunately, calling Sprint will just aggravate you more since they'll just say there are network upgrades in progress and have you try things like updating profiles and PRLs. I can promise once the towers in your area are complete everything will be cherry :)

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner