Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Yes. From what I understand from sprint is that Samsung/Ericson applied a patch to NV and legacy towers that prevents 1x handoffs from legacy to nv or nv to legacy towers unless absolutly necessary. It seems like it hangs on to a signal when going across the "boundery" until it is gone. My phone would sometimes roam when that would happen. It didn't seem to effect 3g service at all. Once the legacy towers were upgraded that stopped.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Do you think Samsung will switch to doing LTE first instead of 3G? Ericsson has been doing their markets with LTE first. I haven't heard of the issues with their markets. Of course, when they start moving 3G to the new equipment, maybe they will have problems also.

I don't think Alcatel \Lucent has had the issue in their markets and I believe they are doing 3G first. Maybe it's just a Samsung problem. I hope they figure it out before moving to new markets. Chicago users have really been through some bad experiences with this upgrade process. If it happens again, Sprint should probably look at different options.

I'm willing to give Sprint till October to get it together here in Chicago. If they can't I will seek someone who can and their are options out there. I really like Sprint (not for prices since Veizon is just as cheap) because they are the under dog and I want to see them spur on competition between the wireless industry.

ill take those 3g speeds any day. the tower near my house that had its NV radios installed a few weeks ago gives me a whopping .07/mbps down regularly

Oh I totally get where you're coming from. I was experiencing the same speeds before the new backhaul went live here. I guess I'm just concerned with the performance and am really hoping that the vendor is working out kinks before handing off to Sprint.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Do you think Samsung will switch to doing LTE first instead of 3G? Ericsson has been doing their markets with LTE first. I haven't heard of the issues with their markets. Of course, when they start moving 3G to the new equipment, maybe they will have problems also.

I don't think Alcatel Lucent has had the issue in their markets and I believe they are doing 3G first. Maybe it's just a Samsung problem. I hope they figure it out before moving to new markets. Chicago users have really been through some bad experiences with this upgrade process. If it happens again, Sprint should probably look at different options.

I don't think they will switch to doing LTE first. Sprint is trying to finish the 3g work in Chicago as fast as possible to stop the bleeding.

Robert wrote a very good article on the issues sprint is facing in Chicago. In a nutshell the legacy Motorola tower equipment isn't playing nice with the newer Samsung equipment. Apparently we are one of only a handful of areas that have the problem Motorola equipment. These problems are unique to us right now.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 3

I really like Sprint (not for prices since Veizon is just as cheap)

Are you sure about that? The share everything plans are more expensive than any Sprint plan, or the same when it comes to unlimited family plans, in just about every possible way.

Are you sure about that? The share everything plans are more expensive than any Sprint plan, or the same when it comes to unlimited family plans, in just about every possible way.

Ditto none of the rest of the 4 can beat sprint in pricing

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I am positive about the pricing. Im paying 185(discount included) for 3 smart phones and 1 feature phone with a max data use of 4-5 gbs every month on all 3 lines. Verizon would be 190 for 3 of the same type lines with a pool of 6gbs and my discount is much more since Sprint changed how they discount lines. All in all with taxes it would be the same or a few bucks cheaper with Verizon. That being said I like Sprint and want to stay with them but once the new iPhone comes out they better have LTE up and running here in Chicago. The wife wants it and a happy wife makes for a happy life =)

Yes. From what I understand from sprint is that Samsung/Ericson applied a patch to NV and legacy towers that prevents 1x handoffs from legacy to nv or nv to legacy towers unless absolutly necessary. It seems like it hangs on to a signal when going across the "boundery" until it is gone. My phone would sometimes roam when that would happen. It didn't seem to effect 3g service at all. Once the legacy towers were upgraded that stopped.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Now my phone's signal behavior makes more sense. When traveling on I-90 eastbound, it will hang on to either a tower at Roselle Rd (CH13XC005) or in Palatine (CH01XC172) for dear life. Almost everytime, the signal becomes too weak and the call drops. It quickly regains full bars on CH01XC105.

Robert: I'm guessing that CH13XC005 and CH01XC172 are remaining orphaned legacy towers and the rest of the nearby towers at this intersection (I-90 and I-290) have been upgraded?

Now my phone's signal behavior makes more sense. When traveling on I-90 eastbound, it will hang on to either a tower at Roselle Rd (CH13XC005) or in Palatine (CH01XC172) for dear life. Almost everytime, the signal becomes too weak and the call drops. It quickly regains full bars on CH01XC105.

Robert: I'm guessing that CH13XC005 and CH01XC172 are remaining orphaned legacy towers and the rest of the nearby towers at this intersection (I-90 and I-290) have been upgraded?

Where are you getting these Tower ID's and Maps, I would like to see as well.

Going eastbound on 90 those would be the last towers upgraded to nv. It would hang on to those for dear life until the last minute. Then you would switch over to the legacy network as you head east. But you are right, that is why your phone is behaving that way.

My guess is that prevents someone driving on the boarder between network vision and legacy towers from going back and forth dropping calls potentially every tower handoff.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Took the metra train from Palatine today, I was getting 1.0-1.2 down and low 100 pings on my iphone. I don't see those speeds ever on sprint 3G

Schaumburg has not received NV or backhaul yet, hope they work on it soon.

Connected to 4G in St. Charles corner of Randall and RT. 38. I about shit my pants!!! Screenshots to come.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Connection was live this morning when I drove through. Wouldnt switch in its own. Only connected when I cycled to and from airplane mode. Was able to keep signal from Randall, driving east on 38 until I got to the River.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I'm willing to give Sprint till October to get it together here in Chicago. If they can't I will seek someone who can and their are options out there. I really like Sprint (not for prices since Veizon is just as cheap) because they are the under dog and I want to see them spur on competition between the wireless industry.

Since when is Verizon as cheap as Sprint and since when has their value (unlimited data) been the same? They both average at about $80 for individual plan but "only Sprint gives you truly unlimited data" and when NV is done, you'll be happy you stayed.

Since when is Verizon as cheap as Sprint and since when has their value (unlimited data) been the same? They both average at about $80 for individual plan but "only Sprint gives you truly unlimited data" and when NV is done, you'll be happy you stayed.

That's what I'm hoping for! I'm trying to convince a wife who uses barely any data to stick it out so that I can use all the data I want. I just have to keep up the rope a dope and keep her off balance until Sprint fires it up here in Chicago. My plans would be about the same on either carrier, it's the data that has me holding on to Sprint.

Edited by Madfelon

This may be a question for Robert but if someone else knows, please let me know.

After NV is complete in chicago, including support for 800 SMR, how will sprints network compare to Verizon in Chicago? I know nothing about Verizons network set up here but I understand Sprints Network vision.

Let me know if this is the wrong forum, just thought to ask since I'm in chicago and we are seeing NV live in some areas.

TMobile will also be offering Unlimited Data very soon. The two giants ATT and Verizon can't offer unlimited data b/c there networks suck and they ran out of spectrum. They sold so many iPhones and Android Phones over the last few years there networks are completely saturated by data usage. They both have double if not triple the amount of subscribers than Sprint or TMobile in most markets, thus no spectrum left. Only Sprint and TMobile, with less saturated networks (spectrum owned/users), can even offer unlimited data from a technical point of view. I was at a focus group for TMobile, they will be offering unlimited data as selling point to try and gain subscribers now that they will not be exiting the US Market after the failed merger with ATT. Its just that TMobile's network sucks cuz its not 4G LTE, its not really 4G, its HSPA+, which by technical standard is like 3.5G, they just market it as 4G b/c its faster than native 3G, but it doesn't compare to the speeds u can get with a real 4G LTE network, its just a PR stunt. That being said we are back at square one. If you are a consumer and you want the newest, most advanced, least saturated, 4G LTE network, and you want unlimited data on your plan...you have one option, waiting for and choosing Sprint (post NV that is).

Ever heard of student loans?

You asked, he gave an answer. You have a choice in the matter - hence the term "sponsor".

Sponsors on this website are nice enough to keep it free of advertisement for users like you (and me). It's pretty darn nice not to see a bunch of banners everywhere.

Instead of quipping back at him saying "Ever heard of student loans?" it's probably better saying "ah, that's really nice of the people that support this site to keep it advertisement free - I can't support but I appreciate the people that do."

• Like 6

Sponsors on this website are nice enough to keep it free of advertisement for users like you (and me). It's pretty darn nice not to see a bunch of banners everywhere.

I feel the same way you do about Sponsoring. However as i understand it if there where ads on this site it would make it much harder to justify the insiders giving info to a website with advertising revenue.

With that being said, again, If you want the info it is available to anyone who feels this site does a good job and wants to help support it.

• Like 1

TMobile will also be offering Unlimited Data very soon. The two giants ATT and Verizon can't offer unlimited data b/c there networks suck and they ran out of spectrum. They sold so many iPhones and Android Phones over the last few years there networks are completely saturated by data usage. They both have double if not triple the amount of subscribers than Sprint or TMobile in most markets' date=' thus no spectrum left. Only Sprint and TMobile, with less saturated networks (spectrum owned/users), can even offer unlimited data from a technical point of view. I was at a focus group for TMobile, they will be offering unlimited data as selling point to try and gain subscribers now that they will not be exiting the US Market after the failed merger with ATT. Its just that TMobile's network sucks cuz its not 4G LTE, its not really 4G, its HSPA+, which by technical standard is like 3.5G, they just market it as 4G b/c its faster than native 3G, but it doesn't compare to the speeds u can get with a real 4G LTE network, its just a PR stunt. That being said we are back at square one. If you are a consumer and you want the newest, most advanced, least saturated, 4G LTE network, and you want unlimited data on your plan...you have one option, waiting for and choosing Sprint (post NV that is).[/quote']

Actually, HSPA+ is considered 4G by the ITU. Not that I agree, but if we are considering LTE and WiMax to be 4G, we have to include HSPA+ as it (loosely) meets the standards that the ITU set and then modified.

http://www.itu.int/n...es/2010/48.aspx

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Actually' date=' HSPA+ is considered 4G by the ITU. Not that I agree, but if we are considering LTE and WiMax to be 4G, we have to include HSPA+ as it (loosely) meets the standards that the ITU set and then modified.

http://www.itu.int/n...es/2010/48.aspx

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

I have no problem calling TMo DC-H+ 4G, from what I've seen of it. Sure, LTE is faster (in 5x5 or wider channels). WiMAX is slower and it's still 4G.

AT&T on the other hand...I'll just stop there. I could rant for awhile abiut their intentional obfuscation of what 4G means...ahem iPhone.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

Ever heard of student loans?

As far as i'm aware, there is no "minimum" donation amount to become a sponsor, just FYI. If all you can afford is a dollar or five dollars, i'm sure they'd appreciate it.