Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I'm just making observations as the upgrades continue and of course venting some frustration.

Sprint is having tremendous problems in Elgin on some towers. I thought I'd voice what I've been experiencing to see if any other members have any insight on probable causes.

I'm also seeing the worst problems after 4pm. So maybe the problem is not just at the towers.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Well, out of 376 posts in this forum, probably around 176 are other people "voicing what they have been experiencing" but the closest thing to a solution or answer was posted here http://s4gru.com/ind...the-windy-city/ and an update here http://s4gru.com/ind...chedule-update/

I propose that if service is so "unusable" like many have stated in this thread, Chicagoians might want to suspend their service until September or so when the market launches, and you dismiss it and act like I am picking on you. I believe that Sprint still allows customers to suspend service for about $5 per month. I just looked at straight talk and they have free flip phones and service at $30 per month. That is a temporary solution...

The equipment in Chicago is overloaded, not compatible with the NV equipment and the backhaul is way behind, so even if NV equipment is installed, it either isn't fired up or it is stuck on 3G only because of the legacy backhaul. There is not a solution. No turning airplane mode on and off to correct the problem. I'm not picking on you or your post, but this thread has become nothing but negativity which is specifically prohibited in the community rules.

I'm just making observations as the upgrades continue and of course venting some frustration.

Sprint is having tremendous problems in Elgin on some towers. I thought I'd voice what I've been experiencing to see if any other members have any insight on probable causes.

I'm also seeing the worst problems after 4pm. So maybe the problem is not just at the towers.

Well keep us in the loop. We've seen other areas of the market get new backhaul and end up seeing greatly improved performance.

Let us know when you finally get that backhaul relief.

Well, out of 376 posts in this forum, probably around 176 are other people "voicing what they have been experiencing" but the closest thing to a solution or answer was posted here http://s4gru.com/ind...the-windy-city/ and an update here http://s4gru.com/ind...chedule-update/

I propose that if service is so "unusable" like many have stated in this thread, Chicagoians might want to suspend their service until September or so when the market launches, and you dismiss it and act like I am picking on you. I believe that Sprint still allows customers to suspend service for about $5 per month. I just looked at straight talk and they have free flip phones and service at $30 per month. That is a temporary solution...

The equipment in Chicago is overloaded, not compatible with the NV equipment and the backhaul is way behind, so even if NV equipment is installed, it either isn't fired up or it is stuck on 3G only because of the legacy backhaul. There is not a solution. No turning airplane mode on and off to correct the problem. I'm not picking on you or your post, but this thread has become nothing but negativity which is specifically prohibited in the community rules.

Seasonal Standby is $8.99/month. I have 1 line on it right now. Great solution when you are having problem with native service.

• Like 3

I have the feeling that sprint will loose many customers if they take too long on fixing these problems. I already have my wife begging me to to switch carriers because of all the problems. I've been telling her that the network will get allot better soon since I have this website to know what's going on, but what about all the regular users who don't go to sites like this?

I have the feeling that sprint will loose many customers if they take too long on fixing these problems. I already have my wife begging me to to switch carriers because of all the problems. I've been telling her that the network will get allot better soon since I have this website to know what's going on, but what about all the regular users who don't go to sites like this?

So be it. I would say less than 1% of Sprint customers actually visit this site and stay informed, the rest just bit** and moan on FB, Twitter, and to their friends/family. My roommate recently took his rant on similar issues from Sprint NV to FB, dropped calls, timed out data, cant send texts, etc. Like 10 other ppl chimed in and started complaining about the same issues. I said two words, "network vision", and Google it. Suddenly the complaints stopped.

My point is being as educated as possible is 80% of the battle (thats what this site is for), after that its patience. Think about the marginal benefit from switching now, vs. the opportunity cost of post NV Sprint network. Sure some ppl cant go through 2 more months of "pain" to reap the benefits of a post NV network for 2 years, but to each his own. But remember, to gain to marginal benefit of no NV pain for 2 months, you lose the benefit of a clean and fast 4G LTE network, unlimited data, a bill that is 20-25% less than a comparable plan at ATT/Verizon, and probably what will be the least user saturated 4G network in the country.....and all for at least 2 years (contract terms).

• Like 3

So be it. I would say less than 1% of Sprint customers actually visit this site and stay informed, the rest just bit** and moan on FB, Twitter, and to their friends/family. My roommate recently took his rant on similar issues from Sprint NV to FB, dropped calls, timed out data, cant send texts, etc. Like 10 other ppl chimed in and started complaining about the same issues. I said two words, "network vision", and Google it. Suddenly the complaints stopped.

My point is being as educated as possible is 80% of the battle (thats what this site is for), after that its patience. Think about the marginal benefit from switching now, vs. the opportunity cost of post NV Sprint network. Sure some ppl cant go through 2 more months of "pain" to reap the benefits of a post NV network for 2 years, but to each his own. But remember, to gain to marginal benefit of no NV pain for 2 months, you lose the benefit of a clean and fast 4G LTE network, unlimited data, a bill that is 20-25% less than a comparable plan at ATT/Verizon, and probably what will be the least user saturated 4G network in the country.....and all for at least 2 years (contract terms).

That's the main reason I'm not goin anywhere I have perfect service in Chicago anyway so why would I switch plus I like my phone

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have the feeling that sprint will loose many customers if they take too long on fixing these problems... what about all the regular users who don't go to sites like this?

They are leaving in droves. We are holdouts because we understand the benefits of unlimited data, LTE, and a cheaper bill - but to the average user who can't make a call, receive a text, or even get working 3G data, it's not worth sticking around and we can't blame them. People are paying a lot of money every month for service that just plain out doesn't work in many areas, regardless of what supposedly awaits us in a couple of months, that's a long time to put up with the service the way it has been lately.

I just switched to Sprint a month ago, but I knew going into it that I was going to have a hell of a time with it, and I have. In the suburbs it's so hit or miss that it's frustrating to say the least. There are specific areas all over that are complete dead zones, and even in the midst of an upgraded network I don't see the reason for that. We're all trying to stay optimistic and positive here, but will we all be able to stay in that frame of mind for at the very least another 60+ days? I also don't believe for a second that we'll see LTE by September, let's temper our enthusiasm a little bit. Chicago is a humongous market, and December seems more reasonable to me based on the fact they haven't even touched the city of Chicago yet, and huge swaths of the suburbs still aren't covered.

the updated NV sites complete map looks pretty impressive to me. coming down from the norht they are about to finish all of the areas i would want my coverage.

I have seen them working on 4 towers in the des plaines/ glenview area for the last few weeks and i am very optimistic.

I welcome people to go elsewhere. When this network market is complete (and it will be sooner than later) I look forward to an uncongested and state of the art network.

with the being said i understand why someone couldn't wait and would leave but the towers in my area that are still "not accepted" by sprint have been giving me 2+ mbps 3g speeds and i am not having dropped call issues anymore (des paines/glenview)

• Like 3

If customers are leaving in droves, they must be adding a ton of new customers, because their numbers have stayed pretty steady. In fact, they posted their lowest churn rate ever last quarter...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

• Like 3

If customers are leaving in droves, they must be adding a ton of new customers, because their numbers have stayed pretty steady. In fact, they posted their lowest churn rate ever last quarter...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't bother posting. lol Glad you did.

• Like 1

Something weird is happening my 3G icon dropped and in settings it says disconnected. I can't do speedtest but still able to browse the forum. But before that happened my 3G icon kept dropping in and out.

Btw I'm in Waukegan Sent From EVO LTEEdit: It came back finally and did a speedtest to see what it would be like. And it has improved a lot even this time at night :wub:42575e82-2d05-8ac5.jpg

post-218-13436294045628_thumb.jpg

Edited by 92EG8

Mostly speaking anecdotally, as I have friends and family who have left, but I think the next quarter will be a little tougher on them unless they pick up some outcasts from Verizon because of the share your wallet plans. Also, I think only the Chicago market is having these kinds of problems, not nationwide, so the numbers in this market won't have a huge impact on them overall.

Mostly speaking anecdotally, as I have friends and family who have left, but I think the next quarter will be a little tougher on them unless they pick up some outcasts from Verizon because of the share your wallet plans. Also, I think only the Chicago market is having these kinds of problems, not nationwide, so the numbers in this market won't have a huge impact on them overall.

So far all the issues have been concentrated in the Chicago area. I'm hoping that there won't be issues like this when they move on to other markets for the 2nd round.

The past few days I have noticed that my phone will only ring once before going into VM, when I test call the phone, it rings at least 5 times before my phone actually starts to ring. I called Sprint, and they are blaming it on the NV upgrade, does this sound reasonable? I am currently experiencing the problem in 60525.

The past few days I have noticed that my phone will only ring once before going into VM, when I test call the phone, it rings at least 5 times before my phone actually starts to ring. I called Sprint, and they are blaming it on the NV upgrade, does this sound reasonable? I am currently experiencing the problem in 60525.

Although I think Sprint CSR's are quick to blame anything and everything on Network Vision, I guess it is plausible.

Robert

I also don't believe for a second that we'll see LTE by September, let's temper our enthusiasm a little bit. Chicago is a humongous market, and December seems more reasonable to me based on the fact they haven't even touched the city of Chicago yet, and huge swaths of the suburbs still aren't covered.

This I agree with, I dont see anyway Sprint can reliably offer LTE service to the Chicago market by Sept or Oct 1st. Im sure there marketing dept is already hard at work to campaign otherwise, but those who read this forum should understand the difference between a marketing announcement and the realization of reliable service. 30-40% of NV site completion with no back haul for a Chicago "launch" is 100% meaningless to me. Even if they do launch this half assed LTE product with a big marketing campaign and major announcement I wont buy until they deliver and cover the whole market with 4G LTE with new backhaul. A big market launch announcement with 30-40% market coverage and no backhaul completion is a misleading corporate move in my opinion. They must either be incredibly optimistic they can launch and sell LTE, and then catch up on NV sites and backhaul extremely fast (before the market realizes the service isn't all there), or they just don't care. Just my two cents.

This I agree with, I dont see anyway Sprint can reliably offer LTE service to the Chicago market by Sept or Oct 1st. Im sure there marketing dept is already hard at work to campaign otherwise, but those who read this forum should understand the difference between a marketing announcement and the realization of reliable service. 30-40% of NV site completion with no back haul for a Chicago "launch" is 100% meaningless to me. Even if they do launch this half assed LTE product with a big marketing campaign and major announcement I wont buy until they deliver and cover the whole market with 4G LTE with new backhaul. A big market launch announcement with 30-40% market coverage and no backhaul completion is a misleading corporate move in my opinion. They must either be incredibly optimistic they can launch and sell LTE, and then catch up on NV sites and backhaul extremely fast (before the market realizes the service isn't all there), or they just don't care. Just my two cents.

There are lots of sites in the Chicago market with backhaul upgrades. They are allowing NV conversion to get ahead of the backhaul deployment because of the handoff issues. However, backhaul is still readily being deployed. Just under half of the complete sites do have upgraded backhaul. And they will continue deploying backhaul, albeit at a slower pace than NV conversions.

Robert

• Like 1

There are lots of sites in the Chicago market with backhaul upgrades. They are allowing NV conversion to get ahead of the backhaul deployment because of the handoff issues. However, backhaul is still readily being deployed. Just under half of the complete sites do have upgraded backhaul. And they will continue deploying backhaul, albeit at a slower pace than NV conversions.

Robert

No I get it I really do. I work for a company now that announces product upgrades and new capabilities often times before they are actually engrained, its part of the way business is done. I dont agree with it, but I get it. I am very partial towards any development thats sells itself or markets itself before the physical substance is actuated. There are probably 1000 sprint cell sites that cover the 10M metro Chicago population. If Sprint launches LTE in Chicago with 300-400 sites with completed NV (with or without backhaul) thats poor and misleading for both the consumer and Sprint IMO. Many consumers will follow the marketing and advertising, buy a new 4G LTE device, switch from their current carrier, re-up their Sprint contract, etc etc, and then quickly realize the service isn't quite up to par (yet), or not available in all parts of the city or metro area. This will lead to consumer complaints, poor word of mouth reputation, complaints with the BBB, increased customer service calls, and in general consumer backlash. Thats bad.

No I get it I really do. I work for a company now that announces product upgrades and new capabilities often times before they are actually engrained, its part of the way business is done. I dont agree with it, but I get it. I am very partial towards any development thats sells itself or markets itself before the physical substance is actuated. There are probably 1000 sprint cell sites that cover the 10M metro Chicago population. If Sprint launches LTE in Chicago with 300-400 sites with completed NV (with or without backhaul) thats poor and misleading for both the consumer and Sprint IMO. Many consumers will follow the marketing and advertising, buy a new 4G LTE device, switch from their current carrier, re-up their Sprint contract, etc etc, and then quickly realize the service isn't quite up to par (yet), or not available in all parts of the city or metro area. This will lead to consumer complaints, poor word of mouth reputation, complaints with the BBB, increased customer service calls, and in general consumer backlash. Thats bad.

However, I believe that Sprint should open up every single site the moment it is ready for use by the customers who do already have LTE devices in the coverage area of that site. Regardless of whether the market has launched yet.

Robert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LTE cannot go live without back-haul. NV may be complete on the site and may offer minimal 3G improvement, but you won't see LTE till back-haul is installed.

I understand the frustration but didn't Verizon launch LTE with 30-40% complete in Chicago as well? Then Verizon continued its LTE build out until it covered all of chicago land. Yet Verizon still advertised 4G LTE when it didn't finish covering Chicago.

Sprint knows its service isn't up to par in chicago, right now customers have to bite the bullet and be patient. Building out a state of the art network doesn't happen overnight. Launching at 30-40% shows progress and that's what I want to see. It shows that the market will be covered shortly.

As a Sprint customer, I'm paying much less than I would at AT&T, Verizon, and Tmobile for sub par service. I understand that and accept that. I also understand the upgraded network is coming and its going to be a bumpy road to get there.

I understand the frustration but didn't Verizon launch LTE with 30-40% complete in Chicago as well? Then Verizon continued its LTE build out until it covered all of chicago land. Yet Verizon still advertised 4G LTE when it didn't finish covering Chicago.

As a Sprint customer, I'm paying much less than I would at AT&T, Verizon, and Tmobile for sub par service. I understand that and accept that. I also understand the upgraded network is coming and its going to be a bumpy road to get there.

Again I understand what Sprint is doing and that fact that its what Verizon did doesnt make right in my opinion either. I think its a poor strategy that's done more for competitive one ups-manship and carry's undertones of false advertising that the telcom's can essentially "get away with" by covering 30-40% of the market. Basically they are saying we are here Chicago come, join, buy, while knowing that a majority (at least initially) cant actually use the service. Not a big fan of that strategy, Verizon, Sprint, ATT, doesnt matter.

As for price I agree Sprint offers tremendous value over the Big Two (VZW and ATT). They have to, how else could they retain users or entice people to switch without offering a similar product at a cheaper price (or by staying unlimited data when the Big Two quit). That doesnt change my stance on poor market launch strategy, especially after significant network upgrade problems in the Chicago-land area. I dont think Sprint can afford a smoke and mirrors launch that will leave some consumers saying hey I waited out all the NV upgrade pains and resisted the urge to jump ship, now your live in Chicago and advertising your new LTE network like crazy....so I even go out and upgrade my device and I still dont get LTE/post NV network coverage. Thats going to be awfully hard for a lot of folks to swallow and very risky on Sprint's part. Im worried about consumer backlash/social media uproar, etc.