Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Capacity is the name of the game, as long as it drives the average speed up im all for it, CA or not.

Agreed... a single carrier can do a lot... turn on 5 without CA and that alone will catapult Sprint past anyone.

The reality is that you can't get both, either you choose carrier aggregation, or you choose capacity. 

I think having capacity would be a smarter move for the majority of the sites.

• Like 1

The reality is that you can't get both, either you choose carrier aggregation, or you choose capacity. 

I think having capacity would be a smarter move for the majority of the sites.

Pretty sure that the additional carriers are accessible to anyone even non CA devices. So it's still extra capacity regardless if its configured for CA or not.

• Like 5

Does anyone think that with this injunction to delay shutting down the WiMAX network that with the warmer weather is giving sprint time to adjust and optimize the network once everything's able to go live?

I would love extra capacity as well as ummm it slows down a lot and will time out and kick down to band 26 to complete a data task at times.

What's this LTE Plus stuff Sprint is advertising? Is it compatible with the iPhone 6 or 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its basically carrier aggregation mostly and rebranded Spark.

IPhone 6 is not Carrier aggregation compatible but the 6s is.

Its basically carrier aggregation mostly and rebranded Spark.

IPhone 6 is not Carrier aggregation compatible but the 6s is.

But with the WiMax deployment still alive and well in NYC, we're not really seeing the benefits, yet.

I don't know what's going on with that court order, but we are about to turn to 2016 and Sprint needs serious work in New York City regarding capacity.

That court order is costing Sprint customers here in the tri state Area and around the country.

• Like 1

I don't know what's going on with that court order, but we are about to turn to 2016 and Sprint needs serious work in New York City regarding capacity.

That court order is costing Sprint customers here in the tri state Area and around the country.

They are adding B41 to every site that's not collocated with a Clearwire site, which is important in itself.

I've been home since Friday but I've been out and about and have experienced a lot in terms of the network here. On Saturday I went to Roosevelt Field Mall (bad idea) and LTE was unusable. 3G on the other hand was perfectly fine. My mother's iPhone got kicked down to 3G on Verizon, and even that didn't work at all. Her calls would not go through and neither would her texts.

Today I've been driving around Brooklyn and the backhaul upgrades are apparent. In areas where I struggled to break 6 Mbps, I am getting speeds of around 16-17Mbps.

I also noticed something weird about my house. I get low speeds but super low pings. I actually managed to get a ping of 18ms with and average ping of about 28ms. Speeds on the other hand average about 3 Mbps at any time of day.

• Like 1

I've been home since Friday but I've been out and about and have experienced a lot in terms of the network here. On Saturday I went to Roosevelt Field Mall (bad idea) and LTE was unusable. 3G on the other hand was perfectly fine. My mother's iPhone got kicked down to 3G on Verizon, and even that didn't work at all. Her calls would not go through and neither would her texts.

Today I've been driving around Brooklyn and the backhaul upgrades are apparent. In areas where I struggled to break 6 Mbps, I am getting speeds of around 16-17Mbps.

I also noticed something weird about my house. I get low speeds but super low pings. I actually managed to get a ping of 18ms with and average ping of about 28ms. Speeds on the other hand average about 3 Mbps at any time of day.

Queens Center Mall is no better, some spots are awesome, others are a total dead zone for data.

• Like 1

Queens Center Mall is no better, some spots are awesome, others are a total dead zone for data.

It wasn't so much that there were dead zones, it was that the network was obviously way too crowded. I didn't even know a mall could saturate a cell site like that. I guess with everyone looking up deals and such it was bound to happen.

That Mall could really use a DAS setup considering how large of is.

• Like 1

It wasn't so much that there were dead zones, it was that the network was obviously way too crowded. I didn't even know a mall could saturate a cell site like that. I guess with everyone looking up deals and such it was bound to happen.

That Mall could really use a DAS setup considering how large of is.

Or, the phone was picking up a Sprint "hot spot" they place in stores to boost signal for demonstrations...  ;)

Or, the phone was picking up a Sprint "hot spot" they place in stores to boost signal for demonstrations... ;)

Lol. I don't even know if there is a Sprint store at Roosevelt Field Mall. I know there is a Sprint site pretty much on the premises though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lol. I don't even know if there is a Sprint store at that Mall. I know there is a Sprint site pretty much on the premises though.

It's been a while since I've been to the Queens Mall myself.  I think last time Best Buy Mobile was the only cell retailer for Sprint.

Lol. I don't even know if there is a Sprint store at that Mall. I know there is a Sprint site pretty much on the premises though.

We are in dire need of capacity, small cell would definitely help mitigate some of these short comings same goes for cross county.

On a brighter note, just visited Newport mall also Bay plaza mall and the performance is admirable with a ton of folks shopping.

• Like 2

We are in dire need of capacity, small cell would definitely help mitigate some of these short comings same goes for cross county.

On a brighter note, just visited Newport mall also Bay plaza mall and the performance is admirable with a ton of folks shopping.

capacity stretched very thin?

capacity stretched very thin?

Certainly. It's the largest Sprint market in terms of sites and maybe customers too but we are still running one Band 25 carrier, one Band 26 carrier, and one Band 41 carrier.

Certainly. It's the largest Sprint market in terms of sites and maybe customers too but we are still running one Band 25 carrier, one Band 26 carrier, and one Band 41 carrier.

Definately agree with you....we need more cdma refarm and band 41 that would both relieve congestion in my market it's pretty bad ...I was in New York and the speeds were not to good

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Went to a bunch of packed shops in scarsdale, noticed much better indoor coverage from both B41 and B26 deep inside shops where I'd drop to 3G.

Pleasantly surprised how well performance held up despite the huge crowds.

Yes, this truly has been a "Scarsdale Surprise."

AJ

• Like 3