Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

To each is own. However I can never ever remember the electric company charging me an activation or start up fee.

You must live in Pleasantville. In many municipalities across the country, if you rent an apartment or buy a home but the utility shut off/turn on dates do not coincide, then you are going to pay a fee to start or recommence service. That has been my experience in renting several apartments and buying a home.

I understand they need to make money but $36 pays that sprint employee the 10-15 an Hr and the company makes $20?

Current or former Sprint sales associates can chime in, but that $36 may not cover a new contract commission. It definitely does not cover a commission that Sprint pays a third party. That $1 Samsung Galaxy S6 at Best Buy on Black Friday is not really depreciated down to just $1 after only a few months.  Best Buy takes some of the kickback that Sprint pays it for a contract renewal and uses it to subsidize some of the cost of the handset.

On top of that I pay full MSRP for a phone??

Per current or former Sprint employees posting here, if you pay full MSRP outright, you are not subject to any additional fees. Only full MSRP on Easy Pay gets hit with a fee.  So, pay the full freight upfront.  Or BYOD.  Installment plans are for people who are getting in over their pay grade, buying more handset than they can afford.

I will give you the start up fee... But every time I want a new phone? They should be paying me for the time I spend in the store while they ask alllll those questions ringing up the phone!!

I don't understand how I can get a phone activated and delivered to my house next day but it takes over an Hr to get the phone on in the store.

Lol

Why in the world are you going to a Sprint store? That may be your problem. I have bought many a Sprint handset -- but not one at a physical Sprint store in over 10 years.

To cut costs, I would rather that Sprint shutter all corporate stores.  But that would hurt business.  Some people are old fashioned -- they insist upon making transactions at a physical store, thereby imposing brick and mortar costs on Sprint. Those people should pay additional fees. Perhaps handsets both purchased and activated online automatically should have reduced or waived additional fees.

AJ

• Like 2

Per current or former Sprint employees posting here, if you pay full MSRP outright, you are not subject to any additional fees. Only full MSRP on Easy Pay gets hit with a fee.  So, pay the full freight upfront.  Or BYOD.

Is this new? Last time I tried to do this, two different corporate stores refused to sell me a device (even at full MSRP) without in-store activation and the associated fee.

Why in the world are you going to a Sprint store? That may be your problem. I have bought many a Sprint handset -- but not one at a physical Sprint store in over 10 years.

To cut costs, I would rather that Sprint shutter all corporate stores. But that would hurt business. Some people are old fashioned -- they insist upon making transactions at a physical store, thereby imposing brick and mortar costs on Sprint. Those people should pay additional fees. Perhaps handsets both purchased and activated online automatically should have reduced or waived additional fees.

AJ

Dude I'm 17 and I still prefer the store store. As a person who isn't very old fashioned, I don't think it's old fashioned to go to a store to upgrade. If I were switching carriers I would prefer online so they can't rope me into offers as a new customer but for upgrading I prefer to see my phone right out of the box and use it right away. Waiting for the phone to be shipped can be very inconvienant for some people and express shipping isn't cheap. Maybe it's cuz I've never had a bad experience at a Sprint or tmobile store but I see retail stores being the norm for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

You must live in Pleasantville. In many municipalities across the country, if you rent an apartment or buy a home but the utility shut off/turn on dates do not coincide, then you are going to pay a fee to start or recommence service. That has been my experience in renting several apartments and buying a home.

Current or former Sprint sales associates can chime in, but that $36 may not cover a new contract commission. It definitely does not cover a commission that Sprint pays a third party. That $1 Samsung Galaxy S6 at Best Buy on Black Friday is not really depreciated down to just $1 after only a few months. Best Buy takes some of the kickback that Sprint pays it for a contract renewal and uses it to subsidize some of the cost of the handset.

Per current or former Sprint employees posting here, if you pay full MSRP outright, you are not subject to any additional fees. Only full MSRP on Easy Pay gets hit with a fee. So, pay the full freight upfront. Or BYOD. Installment plans are for people who are getting in over their pay grade, buying more handset than they can afford.

To cut costs, I would rather that Sprint shutter all corporate stores. But that would hurt business. Some people are old fashioned -- they insist upon making transactions at a physical store, thereby imposing brick and mortar costs on Sprint. Those people should pay additional fees. Perhaps handsets both purchased and activated online automatically should have reduced or waived additional fees.

AJ

No not in pleasantville lol but utilities just send a bigger bill or cheaper depending on cycle dates.

I wanna say even when I bought online or bestbuy there was still an activation/upgrade fee. I never knew full price would avoid the fee that's good to know.

Is this new? Last time I tried to do this, two different corporate stores refused to sell me a device (even at full MSRP) without in-store activation and the associated fee.

I have no idea.  My last four upgrades/activations over the past three years all have been BYOD.  So, I simply am reiterating what Rocket87 posted earlier in this thread.  Full MSRP at the point of sale is not supposed to incur an additional fee.  Maybe in store activation negates that.  Again, that could be your mistake -- going to a brick and mortar store.  The employees there want and need to make money somehow.

AJ

We wont sell it unactivated it either goes on a current line where there should be no upgrade fee or it starts a new line and there will be an activation fee. Sprint wont just sell you a phone and hand you the box.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My last phone activation was on Tuesday, when I received it, logged into my account, selected activate new device, entered the appropriate info. And received appropriate email with necessary info during the process. Couldn't be easier. Haven't been in a store in a while.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Dude I'm 17 and I still prefer the store store. As a person who isn't very old fashioned, I don't think it's old fashioned to go to a store to upgrade. If I were switching carriers I would prefer online so they can't rope me into offers as a new customer but for upgrading I prefer to see my phone right out of the box and use it right away. Waiting for the phone to be shipped can be very inconvienant for some people and express shipping isn't cheap. Maybe it's cuz I've never had a bad experience at a Sprint or tmobile store but I see retail stores being the norm for the foreseeable future.

You are impatient because you are 17.  Hopefully, you will grow out of it.  If teenagers ran the world, society would crumble into chaos over immediate gratification within a week.

Now, if you insist upon buying and activating handsets at brick and mortar stores, you are contributing to overhead costs that all of us end up paying.  So, you should respect my consternation.  In the past, Sprint has tried charging fees to those who pay their bills in store or who call CS too often -- such as to complain and get a legitimate fee waived as a courtesy.   But I do not recall that any of those additional fees stuck, as the public and media reaction was too negative.

I like my idea that people who require employee assistance, especially brick and mortar employee, should pay an additional fee.  However, those who use online self service for purchase and activation should not.

AJ

• Like 1

I wanna say even when I bought online or bestbuy there was still an activation/upgrade fee. I never knew full price would avoid the fee that's good to know.

If you used an eligible subsidized upgrade online or at Best Buy, yes, that line was subject to an upgrade free.

AJ

You are impatient because you are 17. Hopefully, you will grow out of it. If teenagers ran the world, society would crumble into chaos over immediate gratification within a week.

Now, if you insist upon buying and activating handsets at brick and mortar stores, you are contributing to overhead costs that all of us end up paying. So, you should respect my consternation. In the past, Sprint has tried charging fees to those who pay their bills in store or who call CS too often -- such as to complain and get a legitimate fee waived as a courtesy. But I do not recall that any of those additional fees stuck, as the public and media reaction was too negative.

I like my idea that people who require employee assistance, especially brick and mortar employee, should pay an additional fee. However, those who use online self service for purchase and activation should not.

AJ

Its not just about impatience. There is much more risk buying a phone online. They might ship the wrong one, the phone might ship broken or break on the way which would then require me to go to the store so they can fix it which is just defeating the whole purpose. If you upgrade in store than you are able to see that you have the right phone and that it isn't broken. Everyone has there preference, some people will take there chances and maybe never have a problem when others would like to have it done correctly right in front of them.

• Like 3

Its not just about impatience. There is much more risk buying a phone online. They might ship the wrong one, the phone might ship broken or break on the way which would then require me to go to the store so they can fix it which is just defeating the whole purpose. If you upgrade in store than you are able to see that you have the right phone and that it isn't broken. Everyone has there preference, some people will take there chances and maybe never have a problem when others would like to have it done correctly right in front of them.

Nope.  None of those "chances" are without recourse.  If you buy online and have the handset shipped, you will not be stuck holding the bill for the wrong handset or a broken handset.  You ship it back -- free of charge -- and get another one.

You are the epitome of impatience.

AJ

• Like 3

Nope. None of those "chances" are without recourse. If you buy online and have the handset shipped, you will not be stuck holding the bill for the wrong handset or a broken handset. You ship it back -- free of charge -- and get another one.

You are the epitome of impatience.

AJ

Your confusing impatience with efficiency. If I have the chance to go to the store to buy something than I will. If I'm buying headphones, I can listen to them first to make sure they sound good. If I buy online and they end up sounding like shit then I have to use unnecessary time to send them back and find new ones. This goes for everything in life. If I go to the store and make sure it is correct then I can spend my time doing something better than worrying about returns.

• Like 4

Your confusing impatience with efficiency. If I have the chance to go to the store to buy something than I will. If I'm buying headphones, I can listen to them first to make sure they sound good. If I buy online and they end up sounding like shit then I have to use unnecessary time to send them back and find new ones. This goes for everything in life. If I go to the store and make sure it is correct then I can spend my time doing something better than worrying about returns.

No, I am not confused.  For efficiency in this regard, you have to take into account costs.  People who require brick and mortar presence or human assistance instead of online self service add to the overall costs for everyone -- unless those costs are broken out in separately itemized fees paid by those who incur them.

You are 17.  You have all the time in the world.  I return to my assessment -- you are impatient.

AJ

• Like 3

Nope.  None of those "chances" are without recourse.  If you buy online and have the handset shipped, you will not be stuck holding the bill for the wrong handset or a broken handset.  You ship it back -- free of charge -- and get another one.

Free of charge?  Because I'm trying to return something to Amazon right now and I am definitely paying return shipping.  Amazon is definitely a place where one would BYOD from. 

I believe if Sprint closed all their stores right now, they would go out of business.  There are plenty of people who cannot figure out how to do these things themselves, or people like me who prefer going to the store to have things done.  (And Sprint encourages people to go to the store anyway; I called about activating a phone in December and they said the best way to get it activated was to go to the store!)  It's not about impatience, I don't have all the time in the world, I just prefer working directly with a person on things I don't do frequently.  If something goes wrong and I'm at a store, it's much easier to get it fixed on all accounts.

- Trip

• Like 10

Free of charge? Because I'm trying to return something to Amazon right now and I am definitely paying return shipping. Amazon is definitely a place where one would BYOD from.

Returning free of charge only applies if their is a defect in the product or if it was damaged during shipping, otherwise you pay. For example, I purchased a cooking scale from Amazon but found it to be subpar. I bought a different one and was planning to return the one I bought, but it's going to cost me half the cost of the item in shipping to return it.

• Like 1

...It's not about impatience, I don't have all the time in the world, I just prefer working directly with a person on things I don't do frequently. If something goes wrong and I'm at a store, it's much easier to get it fixed on all accounts.

- Trip

I completely agree with you!

When I got my Nexus 6, I ordered it online, through the Sprint Website (which was the only way they were selling it), and then I took it to a Sprint store, and had it activated. Which, by the way, I'm glad I did, because I found out that a lot of people had trouble getting their Nexus 6 devices activated on the Sprint network.

Like you, I prefer to have a Sprint employee activate my devices, rather than having to figure out how to do it myself through the web site.

• Like 4

I like the idea WiWavelength has...do it yourself and it's free, or pay a store to do it for you.

I prefer to do everything online. I can order from my bed, have it a few days later. Go to Sprint.com and activate it in 5 mins. All require less effort and my personal time spent than visiting a store. Plus this way I won't have insurance added to my account without my permission...lol.

I don't understand the MUST HAVE NOW mindset. If it's here today or in 3 days...I still end up with it. Visiting a store isn't efficient...it's a waste of time. If Wegmans delivered, I'd probably never visit a store of any kind ????

Edit: just for statistical reference...I'm 30, married, and have two kids.

• Like 4

Wait, so now we are calling people impatient and "gotta have it now" type people because they would like to go to a store and pick up an item instead of having to wait on shipping.

Do you have the same mindset of people that go to an electronics store to buy an item instead of waiting a couple days do it to arrive?

If you want to buy online and not visit a store, then fine, but there is no reason calling people impatient because they feel like going to a store. What is wrong with society

• Like 9

I like the idea WiWavelength has...do it yourself and it's free, or pay a store to do it for you.

I prefer to do everything online. I can order from my bed, have it a few days later. Go to Sprint.com and activate it in 5 mins. All require less effort and my personal time spent than visiting a store. Plus this way I won't have insurance added to my account without my permission...lol.

I don't understand the MUST HAVE NOW mindset. If it's here today or in 3 days...I still end up with it. Visiting a store isn't efficient...it's a waste of time. If Wegmans delivered, I'd probably never visit a store of any kind [emoji16]

Edit: just for statistical reference...I'm 30, married, and have two kids.

My 72 year old dad needs to go to a brick & mortar store to understand plans. I'd imagine that he's not alone, and that's the value that an in-person transaction can bring.

It's also a customer touch point. You can garner a lot of brand equity with customer service in-store. It strengthens relationships. (Of course, that knife cuts both ways)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

You are impatient because you are 17.  Hopefully, you will grow out of it.  If teenagers ran the world, society would crumble into chaos over immediate gratification within a week.

AJ

A week is being overly optimistic, I'd give it less than 48 hours with today's youngsters.   ;)

• Like 1

When I got my Nexus 6, I ordered it online, through the Sprint Website (which was the only way they were selling it), and then I took it to a Sprint store, and had it activated. Which, by the way, I'm glad I did, because I found out that a lot of people had trouble getting their Nexus 6 devices activated on the Sprint network.

Like you, I prefer to have a Sprint employee activate my devices, rather than having to figure out how to do it myself through the web site.

Issues with the nexus 6 aside, the website is really easy to use. Plus, I would just feel bad tying a sales rep down when half or more than half of their wages come from commission. If you order it online, I think it is kind of rude to have a store rep that didn't get paid spend his time activating it. My personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, I am not confused.  For efficiency in this regard, you have to take into account costs.  People who require brick and mortar presence or human assistance instead of online self service add to the overall costs for everyone -- unless those costs are broken out in separately itemized fees paid by those who incur them.

You are 17.  You have all the time in the world.  I return to my assessment -- you are impatient.

AJ

I shop online but I prefer to see and touch a new device in the store to see if it works out for me. Glad I did this before I bought my last LG device because the Flex looked nice, but only online. In reality it was not the type of handset for me and I went for the G3.

• Like 2