Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Since we are talking about backhaul, I have a question:  to my limited understanding, backhaul is the medium for which the cell site communicate with the core network.  This medium can be made of fiber, copper line or microwave.  Somewhere I read that micro backhaul can travel 20+ miles like what Verizon or Att use in rural areas.  If microwave backhaul travel that far, why is Sprint not using them instead of fiber to reduce costs?

Since we are talking about backhaul, I have a question: to my limited understanding, backhaul is the medium for which the cell site communicate with the core network. This medium can be made of fiber, copper line or microwave. Somewhere I read that micro backhaul can travel 20+ miles like what Verizon or Att use in rural areas. If microwave backhaul travel that far, why is Sprint not using them instead of fiber to reduce costs?

Microwave is never a backhaul solution in itself. Microwave is used to bridge to fiber or other backhaul. So other backhaul is still needed. Microwave just replaces the last connection from the internet to the site. But it can be a very good solution, depending on how it is being deployed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Sprint is promoting a "bold" announcement on Twitter tomorrow at 8pm ET and some contest, using #SuperBold50

#SuperBold50 Twitter Party
When: Saturday, February 6 at 7pm CST (8pm EST, 5pm PST)
Where: Twitter – follow hashtag #SuperBold50
Brand: @SPRINT @SPRINTLATINO @SPRINTNEWS
Hosts: Sprint Twitter accounts including new ONE Sprint Area and Region handles

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/devices-apps-and-services/superbold50.htm

• Like 1

Every time they make "bold" announcement they disappoint. My guess it that They are either going to match T-Mobile or offer half off to unlimited plans for ports. The latter is bold but not that great for existing customers that may find it better for them to switch. But that is only a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Every time they make "bold" announcement they disappoint. My guess it that They are either going to match T-Mobile or offer half off to unlimited plans for ports. The latter is bold but not that great for existing customers that may find it better for them to switch. But that is only a guess.

Maybe they will half unlimited plans with current customers included? If not its not really worth the announcement because it won't be better than T-Mobile's offering. Speculation.
  • Like 2

Yeah no point in rushing to it, and honestly not reacting is a good thing sometimes.

New Sprint has done an excellent job of reacting to changes in the industry, but sometimes they do not need to.

This new Sprint has stopped the exodus of customers because they've reacted well to competitor's offerings.  Going back to Hesse era, where none of the uncarrier events were even acknowledged led Sprint down the path of doom.  Sprint would be very wise to respond to this T-Mobile and AT&T offering because their stance is "best value in wireless", whereas they need to compete on price and right now their unlimited data plans are more expensive than T-Mobile and AT&T's unl plans.

• Like 2

Best response is not full jump to conclusions, listen to the AT&T ads on the radio and you will here the disclaimer in which there outs a big gotcha. Basically saying that they will change your plans at anytime. And so far no one had mentioned the little fine print legalese in the T-Mobile spot yet. Better go find out, or it will bite you in the rear worse then a hungry croc.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Best response is not full jump to conclusions, listen to the AT&T ads on the radio and you will here the disclaimer in which there outs a big gotcha. Basically saying that they will change your plans at anytime. And so far no one had mentioned the little fine print legalese in the T-Mobile spot yet. Better go find out, or it will bite you in the rear arise then a hungry croc.

They have to say that because if you drop direct tv or uverse they change your plan. ATT has never or for that matter any other wireless company that I know of, change the plan of a customer with out it being part of the plan the customer signed up for. That is the customer signed up for a promotional plan and the promotion expired. I have seen them implement price rises but that is another issue.

• Like 1

Best response is not full jump to conclusions, listen to the AT&T ads on the radio and you will here the disclaimer in which there outs a big gotcha. Basically saying that they will change your plans at anytime. And so far no one had mentioned the little fine print legalese in the T-Mobile spot yet. Better go find out, or it will bite you in the rear worse then a hungry croc.

See this CNET Article:

How long can I expect AT&T to offer this deal? Will they change the plan in a few months?

AT&T has said it's offering the deal temporarily. For customers who sign up for the service, a spokesman said the company will honor it as long as you're an AT&T customer, just as it has for its existing unlimited data customers.

As for T-Mobile, this is what I see in the "Fine Print" here:

Unlimited high speed data option pricing guaranteed for 2 years of activation.

Even if T-Mobile raises prices in the future on its $150 for 4 Unlimited Lines by $100/month, it'll be where Sprint's current pricing is for 4 Unlimited Lines right now ($250/month).

Sprint should aggressively respond to this pricing. As for how, that's up to Marcelo to figure out. But it should happen.

Good thing I take advise from you, not!! They will change thing to fit getting the most money out of any endeavor they try. For example the rates of U-Verse and DirecTV going up. The other gotcha is a contract for said services, which is 2 years.

Best response is not full jump to conclusions, listen to the AT&T ads on the radio and you will here the disclaimer in which there outs a big gotcha. Basically saying that they will change your plans at anytime.

You mean like how Sprint recently raised the price of people's $50 unlimited plan to $60 with no (or little) warning? I'm sure every carrier has that fine print in their non-contract plans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/43a472/unlimited_data_plan_expiring/

• Like 2

Sprint is promoting a "bold" announcement on Twitter tomorrow at 8pm ET and some contest, using #SuperBold50

#SuperBold50 Twitter Party

When: Saturday, February 6 at 7pm CST (8pm EST, 5pm PST)

Where: Twitter – follow hashtag #SuperBold50

Brand: @SPRINT @SPRINTLATINO @SPRINTNEWS

Hosts: Sprint Twitter accounts including new ONE Sprint Area and Region handles

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/devices-apps-and-services/superbold50.htm

Anybody here plan to drop by? What could Sprint possibly announce on a Saturday night on Twitter?

• Like 1

You mean like how Sprint recently raised the price of people's $50 unlimited plan to $60 with no (or little) warning? I'm sure every carrier has that fine print in their non-contract plans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/43a472/unlimited_data_plan_expiring/

Hey, they did add the 3GB mobile hotspot to that plan, so it's not all bad. For $10/mo more I only get 1GB mobile hotspot.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hey, they did add the 3GB mobile hotspot to that plan, so it's not all bad. For $10/mo more I only get 1GB mobile hotspot.

Sure, they added the hotspot to the plan, but if someone is on a tight budget the extra $10 could hurt them.

• Like 1

Oh you mean like how Verizon bumped there's up $20, AT&T added another $5 to there's T-Mobile tacked on another 15

Those are price increases. That Is completely different to changing your plan. A plan change would involve moving a customer from unlimited to a limited plan.

• Like 1

Oh you mean like how Verizon bumped there's up $20, AT&T added another $5 to there's T-Mobile tacked on another 15

Exactly. Every carrier does it. My point was don't single out AT&T for possibly doing it in the future when Sprint did do it within the last couple of weeks.

• Like 2

As much as I root for Sprint because I believe in its potential but there are times that we should step back and look at things the way they are.  I have been following Sprint for almost 3 years and one thing I constantly check is the the complaints people have about sprint compared to the other 3 carriers.  There are improvements but compared to Tmobile, Sprint still has a lot further to go.  Just go to Tmobile's Facebook and compared that to Sprint's, you will be surprised of the amount of dissatisfaction.  I am not sure because Tmobile's customer service is better or is it because they have better network?  Sprint ranked third according to rootmetrics way ahead of tmobile but tmobile is likely better where it counts.  Also, Sprint spends more each year on capital expenditure but somehow its network especially in the cities still lags Tmobile.  I think Marcelo should concentrate his efforts where they have most impact.   

• Like 1

Good thing I take advise from you, not!! They will change thing to fit getting the most money out of any endeavor they try. For example the rates of U-Verse and DirecTV going up. The other gotcha is a contract for said services, which is 2 years.

Are you referring to me?

This isn't a contract. It's a 2 Year price guarantee.... and like I said before, T-Mobile would have to increase its prices for 4 Unlimited Lines by a total of $100/month to be where Sprint's 4 Unlimited Line pricing currently is.

As for AT&T, if it increases prices too much on the TV portion, people can and will leave for other options.

Im not convinced that Marcelo has to beat it. Just offer to match the deal for two years and continue to offer unique plans otherwise. Every time TMo does something, everyone goes "whats sprint gonna do??" But once Sprint responds, the vitriol tends to be right behind it. The vitriol will spew at any price

Every time TMo does something, everyone goes "whats sprint gonna do??"

Sink to the bottom with T-Mobile...

AJ

• Like 1

Sink to the bottom with T-Mobile...

AJ

Serious question: When's the "Day of Reckoning" coming for T-Mobile? What's going to cause it? Everyone switching "Binge On" off and crippling the network?

This new Sprint has stopped the exodus of customers because they've reacted well to competitor's offerings.  Going back to Hesse era, where none of the uncarrier events were even acknowledged led Sprint down the path of doom.  Sprint would be very wise to respond to this T-Mobile and AT&T offering because their stance is "best value in wireless", whereas they need to compete on price and right now their unlimited data plans are more expensive than T-Mobile and AT&T's unl plans.

Keep in mind that best value does not necessary equate to lowest price. It's a race to the bottom at that point.

I've been a Sprint customer since 1999, trust me, I've seen every misstep along the way. 

• Like 1