Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

sprint has the ability to do anything, the question is do they want to give the service away in the name of matching price.  does the quality of the network still warrant them being a value play, or does the network quality warrant premium pricing?  

For 4 Unlimited Data Lines, T-Mobile is currently priced $100/month less than Sprint... and the difference only increases as you add more lines: T-Mobile's additional Unlimited lines (up to 12 lines total) are $30/month and Sprint's additional Unlimited lines are $60/month (up to 5 lines total).

I understand this is very aggressive pricing by T-Mobile, but if Sprint is going to go the value route, it's got to be competitive here on pricing.

Marcelo needs to work with his team to come up with something competitive to this.... Or, I guess the alternative is to just wait out the duration of the promotion and see what happens.

• Like 2

Actually, Marcello doesn't need to do anything, it is just a fly catcher to see who will bite. Why do you guys think every time T-Mobile does something, that everyone must follow. What a bunch of sheep.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Actually, Marcello doesn't need to do anything, it is just a fly catcher to see who will bite. Why do you guys think every time T-Mobile does something, that everyone must follow. What a bunch of sheep.

What I was thinking. There seems to be a lot of hand wringing over... A plan change?

Solution can be as simple as extending cut in half to this offer too. Or wait to see if it actually causes significant churn then act.

Marcelo just posted this on LinkedIn: Dispatches From the Road: My Listening Tour – Seattle

His prior (and first) post in this series: Changing Perception One Conversation at a Time

Anybody know how one becomes part of this listening tour?

• Like 2

As was mentioned before, if you live in an AT&T U-Verse area, you can get a $20/month TV plan and become eligible for the new unlimited plans. When you do combined billing for both, you get a $10/month service credit. So you can get 4 Unlimited Lines on AT&T for $180 + $20 - $10 = $190/month. Additional smartphones are $40/month and tablets (w/Unlimited Data) are $40/month. 10 devices per plan. Limit 2 plans per eligible TV account.

T-Mobile is $150/month for 4 Unlimited Data Lines and $30 for each additional Unlimited Data line. (Up to 12 lines total)

Sprint is $250/month for Unlimited Data for 4 Lines ($70/month + ($60/month * 3))

(Verizon doesn't offer Unlimited Data for new customers.)

This isn't about following T-Mobile or anyone acting like sheep. Both AT&T and T-Mobile are making competitive moves and I hope Sprint adjusts its pricing/plans to remain competitive with them. Sprint needs to figure out a way to bring back the 2 Unlimited Data Lines for $100/month and $40/month for each additional line.

• Like 4

But once people are on this pricing, they get to keep it... until T-Mobile raises it....

Does Sprint have the ability to match this pricing? I'm sure it's under discussion at HQ.

Yeah but consider this.

Would you rather have 5 customers pay $50 or 10 customers pay $25? The dollar amount coming in is the same, but you would attract more customers at that $25 price point.

• Like 2

Yeah but consider this.

Would you rather have 5 customers pay $50 or 10 customers pay $25? The dollar amount coming in is the same, but you would attract more customers at that $25 price point.

That is only looking at one side of the coin. The other part is the cost per user. Now in wireless most of the cost per user is fix so adding more users actually makes those costs, on a per user bases, go down. But there are variable cost each user brings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but consider this.

The math doesn't work out to be that extreme... Sprint is $250/month for Unlimited Data for 4 Lines ($70/month + ($60/month * 3))

But if you had Sprint adopt T-Mobile's pricing schedule here... you could have 7 Unlimited Data Lines and it would still be $10/month less than 4 Unlimited Lines on Sprint at the current pricing.

If you had Sprint adopt AT&T's pricing here (adding the $20/month TV plan and accounting for the $10/month credit when you do combined billing for both), you could get 5 Unlimited Lines and basic TV (if Sprint actually offered it) for $220 + $20 - $10 = $230/month, which is $20/month less than 4 Unlimited lines on Sprint at the current pricing.

That is only looking at one side of the coin. The other part is the cost per user. Now in wireless most of the cost per user is fix so adding more users actually makes those costs, on a per user bases, go down. But there are variable cost each user brings too.

Either T-Mobile is making the numbers work here or they aren't... It's honestly hard to tell.

Yes I know, but we were referring to plan costs in the conversation. Network load is another thing. If T-Mobile is invite all those users with that discounted plan with unlimited LTE, and allowing users to disable binge-on, the network will fall apart.

They are banking on new activations with binge-on enabled and users not really paying attention. 

Either T-Mobile is making the numbers work here or they aren't... It's honestly hard to tell.

I think it's a calculated risk, get people in the door with the cheap plan, and hope they don't destroy the network.

• Like 2

These new plans are getting closer and closer to the ED1500 pricing.  I'm shocked!  Imo, it appears Sprint really needs to adjust their unlimited data plans.  They're probably waiting until more B41 rolls out first to support the demand.

• Like 1

These new plans are getting closer and closer to the ED1500 pricing.  I'm shocked!  Imo, it appears Sprint really needs to adjust their unlimited data plans.  They're probably waiting until more B41 rolls out first to support the demand.

Yeah no point in rushing to it, and honestly not reacting is a good thing sometimes.

New Sprint has done an excellent job of reacting to changes in the industry, but sometimes they do not need to.

Marcelo is bragging on Sprint's performance at Moscone Center.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/695265072063451137

Sprint has an upgraded DAS there with 2xCA on 2.5GHz:

At Moscone Center, home of the NFL Experience, we’ve expanded the coverage and capacity of our DAS by 33 percent. And here as well, we’ve added 2.5GHz service using two-channel carrier aggregation.

When does Sprint have a time frame for 3xCA.

The last I heard Q2-2016. But it may have been pushed back since. With WiMax getting out of the way, the only limiters will be the conclusion of the testing (which should be completing) and appropriate backhaul to handle it. Probably 25% of B41 sites already have sufficient backhaul for 3xCA, and another 25% within the next 6 months. Hopefully they will fire it up on a site by site basis when ready, and not wait for all areas to be ready.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 7

Probably 25% of B41 sites already have sufficient backhaul for 3xCA, and another 25% within the next 6 months. Hopefully they will fire it up on a site by site basis when ready, and not wait for all areas to be ready.

Didn't Sprint order backhaul providers with adjustable backhaul?  Meaning enabling the necessary backhaul is as simple as ordering it from the backhaul vendor who can remotely adjust it?

• Like 1

Didn't Sprint order backhaul providers with adjustable backhaul? Meaning enabling the necessary backhaul is as simple as ordering it from the backhaul vendor who can remotely adjust it?

You're thinking of early Network Vision. Back before Sprint bought Clearwire and was running any B41. Let alone B41, multiple carriers. Initial scalable backhaul requirements were to allow an additional B26 carrier when that was starting to be deployed or possible also another B25 carrier. Back when Network Vision was starting, Clearwire was going to run their own B41 network and sell it wholesale. Clearwire was handling their own backhaul.

Multiple B41 carrier backhaul requirements is way far and above the needs of a couple of 5MHz FDD carriers. Not even the same league. Sprint is jumping through hoops on a whole 'nother backhaul upgrade program. But so is AT&T and VZW. They are in the same boat. VZW is upgrading backhaul here for almost all their B4/B2 sites. Nothing unusual. Just cost of doing business in an ever burgeoning data consumption world.

• Like 2