Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I shop online but I prefer to see and touch a new device in the store to see if it works out for me. Glad I did this before I bought my last LG device because the Flex looked nice, but only online. In reality it was not the type of handset for me and I went for the G3.

Agreed...when I was considering buying the Nexus 6, I visited a Sprint store, and played around with the sales floor device in the store, before I ordered it online.

Like you, I too like to play around with a device before I purchase it. Especially an Android phone or Tablet.

• Like 2

I shop online but I prefer to see and touch a new device in the store to see if it works out for me. Glad I did this before I bought my last LG device because the Flex looked nice, but only online. In reality it was not the type of handset for me and I went for the G3.

Agreed...when I was considering buying the Nexus 6, I visited a Sprint store, and played around with the sales floor device in the store, before I ordered it online.

Like you, I too like to play around with a device before I purchase it. Especially an Android phone or Tablet.

What?  You mean you *gasp* don't want to buy the device, try it, then if you don't like it, pay return shipping and possibly a restocking fee, then repeat the process over and over, spending days or weeks figuring out which device you actually want through repeated trial and error?

You clearly need more patience and to learn what "efficiency" is.  ;)

- Trip

• Like 9

What? You mean you *gasp* don't want to buy the device, try it, then if you don't like it, pay return shipping and possibly a restocking fee, then repeat the process over and over, spending days or weeks figuring out which device you actually want through repeated trial and error?

You clearly need more patience and to learn what "efficiency" is. ;)

- Trip

I did just that, what a PITA it was too, forget mail order being more convenient when trying to find a phone you like or is not defective, still gotta drive to drop the damn thing off to ship it back.

I would prefer to purchase my phones in person if I can help it. It's bad enough most stuff is already mail order only, be worse if everything was.

• Like 2

No, I am not confused. For efficiency in this regard, you have to take into account costs. People who require brick and mortar presence or human assistance instead of online self service add to the overall costs for everyone -- unless those costs are broken out in separately itemized fees paid by those who incur them.

You are 17. You have all the time in the world. I return to my assessment -- you are impatient.

AJ

"Get off my lawn!!!"

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 2

What?  You mean you *gasp* don't want to buy the device, try it, then if you don't like it, pay return shipping and possibly a restocking fee, then repeat the process over and over, spending days or weeks figuring out which device you actually want through repeated trial and error?

You clearly need more patience and to learn what "efficiency" is.  ;)

- Trip

This. Obviously, we're forgetting about the phrase "time is money." When you wait for something that can be achieved faster and more efficiently, you're wasting time. Your time might not be valuable, but I certainly know mine is. The longer I wait are possible missed opportunity. 

I guess that means I'm impatient too know.  :2tu:

Typical generation gap. Being a young business person and owner, I deal with this on the daily. Because if it's not the way they do it, it's wrong. And because I'm only 21 I don't know anything or even though something is working for me, it's still wrong. Just because I'm a certain age, don't stereo type me "assuming" I do or don't do something.

Back on track with this thread... Today was the first day I saw the Metro PCS commercial to "break-up" with Sprint. The T&C must be super long with this one. I didn't get to read what this plan covers. Copy of 50% off plan Sprint is doing?

• Like 2

Typical generation gap. Being a young business person and owner, I deal with this on the daily. Because if it's not the way they do it, it's wrong. And because I'm only 21 I don't know anything or even though something is working for me, it's still wrong. Just because I'm a certain age, don't stereo type me "assuming" I do or don't do something.

Older people don't disagree with the young due to their numeric age. Older people used to be the young and they made the same mistakes...and have now learned from them. Youth is wasted on the young. Experience and maturity are very important too.

It's not really an "either, or" supposition. The most successful people tend to mind both. If you are young, and are willing to try to understand and implement good parts of the sage wisdom of those who have gone before you, then you will be unstoppable. Being the youth who is also wise. A very rare individual.

And the same goes for us older folks. To be wise and mature, and yet be open and malleable to the ideas of the young.

Although I do find it ironic in this instance that the brick and mortar store purchasing method tends to be a concept more for older people and the online purchase model more geared toward younger people...but hey, to each his own. ;)

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 5

Free of charge?  Because I'm trying to return something to Amazon right now and I am definitely paying return shipping.  Amazon is definitely a place where one would BYOD from.

Trip, that is moving the goalposts.  This discussion has nothing to do with Amazon and its general return policies.  However, on the off chance that Amazon shipped you the wrong handset or a defective handset, you would have recourse at no cost to you.

I believe if Sprint closed all their stores right now, they would go out of business.  There are plenty of people who cannot figure out how to do these things themselves, or people like me who prefer going to the store to have things done.

And I believe I acknowledged that unfortunate business fact elsewhere in this thread.  Sprint could close all stores tomorrow and save a lot of overhead costs.  Though others feel differently, that would not affect my customer relationship with Sprint one iota.  I do not find Sprint stores and their associates helpful.  If anything, they are sources of incompetence and misinformation.  It is just too difficult or too expensive to educate that entry level workforce on all the nuances of Sprint's wireless business.  But I digress.

In closing, many of you are missing my point, which goes back to the $36 fee.  The grounds for the $36 fee may be purely revenue based.  Probably so.  However, if you insist upon purchasing and activating in a physical store, then you should pay more -- because you are contributing to those overhead costs.  The $36 fee seems appropriate in those circumstances.  That is my point.

AJ

• Like 1

Trip, that is moving the goalposts.  This discussion has nothing to do with Amazon and its general return policies.  However, on the off chance that Amazon shipped you the wrong handset or a defective handset, you would have recourse at no cost to you.

And I believe I acknowledged that unfortunate business fact elsewhere in this thread.  Sprint could close all stores tomorrow and save a lot of overhead costs.  Though others feel differently, that would not affect my customer relationship with Sprint one iota.  I do not find Sprint stores and their associates helpful.  If anything, they are sources of incompetence and misinformation.  It is just too difficult or too expensive to educate that entry level workforce on all the nuances of Sprint's wireless business.  But I digress.

In closing, many of you are missing my point, which goes back to the $36 fee.  The grounds for the $36 fee may be purely revenue based.  Probably so.  However, if you insist upon purchasing and activating in a physical store, then you should pay more -- because you are contributing to those overhead costs.  The $36 fee seems appropriate in those circumstances.  That is my point.

AJ

It's not moving the goalposts, it's addressing the entirety of your opinion.  You state that people should avoid the fee through BYOD, but then say return shipping will be free when needed.  I have, indeed, paid return shipping on damaged merchandise from other vendors, so the point is valid.  Moreover, subsequent posts pointed out exactly why one might wind up wasting vast amounts of time and money trying to choose a device through the mail, and you have not addressed what those people are supposed to do.

By your logic, users of phone support or live chat should also pay a fee any time they use them, because if you didn't need support, Sprint wouldn't need call centers.  People who buy devices from Sprint should pay a fee, too, because if you simply bought your device elsewhere, Sprint wouldn't need warehouses.  And don't forget adding an extra fee if you happen to connect to a tower with high rent, because if you simply stayed out of that area, Sprint wouldn't need a tower there.

At some point, you can demolish the entire company down to nothing this way, or nickel and dime people until they jump ship.  Having call centers, warehouses, and towers is part of doing business, and so is having stores.  Just because you do not like stores and have an uncanny ability to know in advance which device will be right for you before you hold it in your hand and try it out, does not mean that most or even many people agree with you, and does not make them problems.

- Trip

• Like 18

It's not moving the goalposts, it's addressing the entirety of your opinion. You state that people should avoid the fee through BYOD, but then say return shipping will be free when needed. I have, indeed, paid return shipping on damaged merchandise from other vendors, so the point is valid. Moreover, subsequent posts pointed out exactly why one might wind up wasting vast amounts of time and money trying to choose a device through the mail, and you have not addressed what those people are supposed to do.

By your logic, users of phone support or live chat should also pay a fee any time they use them, because if you didn't need support, Sprint wouldn't need call centers. People who buy devices from Sprint should pay a fee, too, because if you simply bought your device elsewhere, Sprint wouldn't need warehouses. And don't forget adding an extra fee if you happen to connect to a tower with high rent, because if you simply stayed out of that area, Sprint wouldn't need a tower there.

At some point, you can demolish the entire company down to nothing this way, or nickel and dime people until they jump ship. Having call centers, warehouses, and towers is part of doing business, and so is having stores. Just because you do not like stores and have an uncanny ability to know in advance which device will be right for you before you hold it in your hand and try it out, does not mean that most or even many people agree with you, and does not make them problems.

- Trip

Well Said!

I completely agree with everything you said!

• Like 2

At some point, you can demolish the entire company down to nothing this way, or nickel and dime people until they jump ship. Having call centers, warehouses, and towers is part of doing business, and so is having stores. Just because you do not like stores and have an uncanny ability to know in advance which device will be right for you before you hold it in your hand and try it out, does not mean that most or even many people agree with you, and does not make them problems.

- Trip

Great post. Valid points all around.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Edited by Houston_Texas
  • Like 1

It's not moving the goalposts, it's addressing the entirety of your opinion. You state that people should avoid the fee through BYOD, but then say return shipping will be free when needed. I have, indeed, paid return shipping on damaged merchandise from other vendors, so the point is valid. Moreover, subsequent posts pointed out exactly why one might wind up wasting vast amounts of time and money trying to choose a device through the mail, and you have not addressed what those people are supposed to do.

By your logic, users of phone support or live chat should also pay a fee any time they use them, because if you didn't need support, Sprint wouldn't need call centers. People who buy devices from Sprint should pay a fee, too, because if you simply bought your device elsewhere, Sprint wouldn't need warehouses. And don't forget adding an extra fee if you happen to connect to a tower with high rent, because if you simply stayed out of that area, Sprint wouldn't need a tower there.

- Trip

Ditto that.

• Like 3

trainn.jpg

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13442112/1/stressed-out-is-sprint-a-ticking-telecom-time-bomb.html

It seems like people won't give Sprint a chance to right itself. It's all doom and gloom, kinda annoying.

"

Yesterday, analysts at William Blair reissued their "underperform" rating for telecomm giant Sprint Corp. (S) . And this week, Citigroup lowered its price target for Sprint from $4.50 to $3.75.:

Older people don't disagree with the young due to their numeric age. Older people used to be the young and they made the same mistakes...and have now learned from them. Youth is wasted on the young. Experience and maturity are very important too.

Now I personally have to disagree with this. I have been flat out told to my face after I told someone my age, that I was too young to a.) know what I was doing and b.) run a business. No, not all people older than me are that way, however there are still people out there who think that just because you're a certain age you are/are not, can/cannot or know/do not know something.

It's not really an "either, or" supposition. The most successful people tend to mind both. If you are young, and are willing to try to understand and implement good parts of the sage wisdom of those who have gone before you, then you will be unstoppable. Being the youth who is also wise. A very rare individual.

And the same goes for us older folks. To be wise and mature, and yet be open and malleable to the ideas of the young.

Although I do find it ironic in this instance that the brick and mortar store purchasing method tends to be a concept more for older people and the online purchase model more geared toward younger people...but hey, to each his own.  ;)

I've always been a person more geared toward maturity and mature conversations. Being raised as an only child I was surrounded by more adults and have learned invaluable information from people much older than me. I have much respect for all you guys on here because you teach me something I'm still trying to learn everyday from. But then when I see responses geared toward someone "being something" for being a certain age really irks me.

I agree with you on the brick and mortar statement, however I much rather prefer going to a store to touch, feel and see a product versus do all my shopping online.

• Like 5

trainn.jpg

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13442112/1/stressed-out-is-sprint-a-ticking-telecom-time-bomb.html

It seems like people won't give Sprint a chance to right itself. It's all doom and gloom, kinda annoying.

its not doom and gloom if it is real.

Wall Street and Main Street are two different beasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The activation/upgrade fee should just be rolled into the price listed for each device Sprint sells. Additional fees bother me no matter who they are from or what they are for.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been kinda quiet in sprint land. I wonder if any new plans or promos are coming.

Any idea if they plan on using another city as model for ngn? Like they did Chicago for lte plus?

They've been pretty silent. So far, the only reports we have as far as small cells go is a small cell popping up in the Boston area that almost went unnoticed. Another piece of info we got was from an RCR Wireless article that stated Sprint has applied for over 2,000 small cells in NYC alone.

• Like 2

They've been pretty silent. So far, the only reports we have as far as small cells go is a small cell popping up in the Boston area that almost went unnoticed. Another piece of info we got was from an RCR Wireless article that stated Sprint has applied for over 2,000 small cells in NYC alone.

Great find! Sounds like good news, but I could be reading I between the lines .... Seems like nyc is trying to get new light poles so nyc can get carrier$$$. Nyc hasn't decided who will get the contract.... Which means those 2000 permits are on a soft hold until nyc makes a decision on poles?

This strategy of playing their cards close to their chest kind of sucks and unfortunately I find that it may backfire since sprint had said they are trying to keep their strategy a secret so others don't use it to their advantage. An investor and sprint user probably takes that as they are doing something better than Verizon and very innovative which is probably not the case.

Also, I feel that they announced their new network deployment a long time ago and that they should be nearing completion and in fact they haven't started yet that I know of. I think I am just getting impatient as I'm so excited to see what they are doing! I love tower hunting!

This strategy of playing their cards close to their chest kind of sucks and unfortunately I find that it may backfire since sprint had said they are trying to keep their strategy a secret so others don't use it to their advantage. An investor and sprint user probably takes that as they are doing something better than Verizon and very innovative which is probably not the case.

Also, I feel that they announced their new network deployment a long time ago and that they should be nearing completion and in fact they haven't started yet that I know of. I know I am just getting inpatient but feel that others may feel the same way I do. People say sprint is under promising and over delivering but so far this feels like over promising and under delivering.

I don't know if I agree with that. I think they're going for the short term pain, long term gain approach just like they have been for the past few years. Sprint never gave any official dates for NGN and that's the reason why no one can suspect them having completed it by now. If you feel like they're under delivering then that's your fault for speculating on something that doesn't even have any concrete details about it besides the announcement of it last year.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is posted but it's from android police

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/02/t-mobile-releases-30-second-super-bowl-ad-about-how-other-carriers-would-butcher-drakes-hotline-bling/

Tmo is definitely winning through advertising smh they get the message across .... They have a great marketing team.

Hopefully sprints new marketing will help improve its image

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint has a response to this pricing move by T-Mobile.... I guess there's always the Save 50% off of your Bill Offer to cut the Tiered Offerings in half....

But see this:

4 Unlimited Data Lines with Sprint is $250/month ($70/month for 1st line and $60/month for each additional Unlimited Line)

vs.

4 Unlimited Data Lines with T-Mobile is $150/month.... (Each additional Unlimited Line is $30/month up to 12 lines)

Marcelo: I think it's time for another Town Hall

• Like 6

Hopefully Sprint has a response to this pricing move by T-Mobile.... I guess there's always the Save 50% off of your Bill Offer to cut the Tiered Offerings in half....

But see this:

4 Unlimited Data Lines with Sprint is $250/month ($70/month for 1st line and $60/month for each additional Unlimited Line)

vs.

4 Unlimited Data Lines with T-Mobile is $150/month.... (Each additional Unlimited Line is $30/month up to 12 lines)

Marcelo: I think it's time for another Town Hall

Their website is wonky on this. It keeps quoting 4 lines at 180 and 6 at 240. With the free line it should be 150 and 240 respectively. Even if it corrects itself at check out, this is a weird way to present it to potential buyers.

Their website is wonky on this. It keeps quoting 4 lines at 180 and 6 at 240. With the free line it should be 150 and 240 respectively. Even if it corrects itself at check out, this is a weird way to present it to potential buyers.

It says that the "Final price to be reflected in CART". I'm guessing they do this to show how much you're saving, and perhaps it saves them time on reworking the back-end plan pricing if it's a temporary promotion.