Softbank news: The Sharp Aquos Crystal is stunning and U.S. bound

jonathanm1978

God says that all things are permissible, but not all things are profitable.  So I have permission!!!

Yeah, you have permission -- as long as it is through the hole in the sheet.

AJ

• Like 1

I don't think it is. Just the back cover for the sim card and micro sd as other sites have said.

I like the size of my G3 (it's what, 5.5 I guess?)..but I'm not against going back down to something in the range of the Sharp.

I'd like to see what they've got that ties it into the TVs (I have an Aquos Smart 60").

My Toshiba smart TV only lasted 11 months with mild/moderate use of the smart features..then hit and error that they couldn't even fix so I got a replacement and opted for the Sharp. Even though Sharp and Toshiba are Tier 2 tv sets, I think the sharp has a much better picture and the speed of the sharp in menu's is unreal compared to that Toshiba...

Back on topic though, I bet this is going to be an option for most people in the boat I'm in...I just replaced a GS5 on insurance because my daughter dropped hers out the window while doing 85 down the interstate (she was a passenger)...so there went $200 bucks to get another one.  Now if she does something to this one, it's either buy another phone off-contract from Sprint...OR, try Swappa or Ebay for a phone, which turned out pretty bad the last time I did it and it took me a week of calling to get the phone activated in my account. The seller was extremely nice and helped along the way, after the sell..but that was just luck. Usually, once they sell, it's on the buyer ... Unless it's changed.

So, instead of paying a $200 insurance deductible to replace another SGS5...I could just throw in another $40 and have this one.

This may not only grab new customers, but also customers who drop/break/lose a device that costs nearly this much in insurance to replace... And then you get a bunch of people with non-subsidy phones as long-term customers, and new customers as well, unless they stick easy-pay as the only option to get the phone for this price...which I can't see as being very practical.

• Like 3

This phone is not my cup of tea but props to Sharp and SoftBank.  As contracts go away you need more options in the sub $300 range.  This is really important for Sprint since there are not quite as many options on the CDMA side of things. 

• Like 2

How will SignalCheck Pro work on this phone? Think it'll display LTE bands properly?

No one knows yet.  How would anyone know?  A Sprint variant Sharp handset is unprecedented.

AJ

• Like 4

Is there a rumored or predicted launch window for this phone?

As long as it does well in drop tests, it looks perfect for my dad. The price is fantastic.

8-29-14

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As long as it does well in drop tests, it looks perfect for my dad. The price is fantastic.

I doubt that a handset dubbed "Crystal" is going to fare particularly well in drop tests -- for any user, young or old.

AJ

• Like 1

8-29-14

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Excellent

I doubt that a handset dubbed "Crystal" is going to fare particularly well in drop tests -- for any user, young or old.

AJ

Well phones of even the same standard rectangle design + bezel vary wildly in how well they survive a drop. I believe it was the Nexus 4 that would crack if a slight breeze blew into the room. Of course they addressed that with the Nexus 5.

The lack of bezel makes me assume it will be more susceptible to cracks than your standard phone, but the question is how much so.

I think surviving a 4 foot drop on carpet would be important, because in my person experience whenever I drop my phone it's always by my bed.

I'm sure a reiew site will do all those drop tests. It will help me decide if I should recommend him to get this phone, or pay more for the nexus 5. 

• Like 1

Now, I wonder how they'll make cases for this one, without obscuring the screen. I don't personally use cases on any of my gear, but most of my immediate family does, and they'll be the ones who'll be getting this phone more 'n likely.

• Like 1

Now, I wonder how they'll make cases for this one, without obscuring the screen. I don't personally use cases on any of my gear, but most of my immediate family does, and they'll be the ones who'll be getting this phone more 'n likely.

this is my question exactly. I use cases, more for grip then protecting the phone though. 

I used to never use them.  I had not broken a screen for years but then in the last 3-4 years I have broke screen on a Note, S3 (Twice), S4 and Nexus.  I am not sure why all of the sudden it is happening more.  I don't think I drop my phone any more than before.  I would of though with the new GG versions that is would be happening less.  

So now, I have to operate with one. 

This phone could be cool but it wont be a big seller not when it seems like 90% of people coming in stores are looking for Samsung or apple and the other 10% LG or HTC.

I think even in a week since you wrote this, sentiment has changed... but I think if they see this phone side by side at a store and see that the price is less than half, they will consider it.  Sprint should look to include some mid-range HTC desire phones as well, since the market is moving away from the contract based model.  

Well from the way it looks it will definitely stand out. It sucks that it has average specs(it does come with 4.4.2 though) at best but that really won't matter to the average person walking into a sprint store. I think the looks of it might be good enough to move a few units plus I am sure that sprint and sharp will be pushing this device quite a bit.

I don't know if they will necessarily need to push this phone, I think it will fit into a void that many customers have wanted for a long time. The galaxy mini's and other relatively mediocre phones have had almost twice the price and I do not think they were even half this nice.  

I just realized there's no NFC, but then again, it's midrange. I really like using NFC to pay at Wegmans. Hrm.

Also, where's the earpiece speaker on this thing? Through the glass? :lol:

The specs listed in the teaser article say that it is NFC compatible... it would be silly for any phone not to have that now, especially since competition is just heating up for google wallet's NFC payment systems and many other retailers are now getting equipment to accept those payments.  If the next iPhone has NFC, I guarantee you that mobile payments will skyrocket... sadly, all the iPhone users will act as if they invented it, and royally annoy me. 

... Back on topic though, I bet this is going to be an option for most people in the boat I'm in...I just replaced a GS5 on insurance because my daughter dropped hers out the window while doing 85 down the interstate (she was a passenger)...so there went $200 bucks to get another one.  Now if she does something to this one, it's either buy another phone off-contract from Sprint...OR, try Swappa or Ebay for a phone, which turned out pretty bad the last time I did it and it took me a week of calling to get the phone activated in my account. The seller was extremely nice and helped along the way, after the sell..but that was just luck. Usually, once they sell, it's on the buyer ... Unless it's changed.

So, instead of paying a $200 insurance deductible to replace another SGS5...I could just throw in another $40 and have this one.

This may not only grab new customers, but also customers who drop/break/lose a device that costs nearly this much in insurance to replace... And then you get a bunch of people with non-subsidy phones as long-term customers, and new customers as well, unless they stick easy-pay as the only option to get the phone for this price...which I can't see as being very practical.

This is the main reason I think it will be a great seller for sprint. I remember telling people that there was no way to purchase a prepaid phone on sprint for a cheaper price and then use it to replace their broken phone.  Buying off the internet is always a gamble, and even if it activates fine, its still a used phone usually with signs of wear from the previous owner.  Protection plans are not bad compared to the $700+ you would have to pay for a new flagship, but will cost you $240 (@ $10/mo) even if you never use it!  And full retail prices usually do not lower for the last model of the phone (best buy still thinks its ok to charge $699 for a GS4...) only the contract price goes down. 

My personal opinion is that this phone, while I would much prefer it to have slightly better specs, is a great value for what you get.  Also, this price range would allow someone like me to get a new phone every year or whenever I wanted, and especially if something happened to the phone (I do have a toddler, and he thinks my phone is HIS toy).

We have a phone that has very similar specs (optimus G) and aside from some reception problems, it is more than capable of the pintrest and candycrush that she uses it for. So although most of us here measure our self worth by the technology we are carrying (our e-penis for AJ) we sometimes loose sight of the fact that MANY people will never actually use half the potential of their flagship phones.   

• Like 2