Softbank news: The Sharp Aquos Crystal is stunning and U.S. bound

jonathanm1978

Hopefully Sprint, due to sales volume requirements, lets Ting pick this one up quickly. Nice to see that they've priced it to sell...and phones like this are what make EasyPay work (vs. stuff like the S5 and the iPhone that require a huge subsidy).

If it does hit Ting I think I'll be retiring two of the three Galaxy Victories the family has.

Hopefully Sprint, due to sales volume requirements, lets Ting pick this one up quickly. Nice to see that they've priced it to sell...and phones like this are what make EasyPay work (vs. stuff like the S5 and the iPhone that require a huge subsidy).

If it does hit Ting I think I'll be retiring two of the three Galaxy Victories the family has.

It would be irresistible for me too to not to pick up for my Ting SIM card. I wouldn't have to keep switching back and forth from my N5 when I travel. Although with these cheap prices, it may be worth trying to go back to Sprint on someone's plan.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Snapdragon 400 is dual core...definitely no better than "mid level" for mid-2014. Should be cheaper though, which is what the target for this should be. Cheaper (decent) phone with the new $100 plan might win some folks over.

The 400 comes in both dual core and quad core. I believe this is is the quad core.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/400

Guys, please read our article on The Wall:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-372-teaser-that-aquos-crystal-is-sharp-take-the-edge-off/

We already identified the chipset as the MSM8926, which is a quad core Snapdragon 400.

AJ

• Like 2

If it's really only $240, I'll consider buying one for no reason prior to the iPhone 6 coming out. This Sharp really wouldn't be much of a downgrade from a Nexus 5 from a stats perspective, right? (I don't game, just heavy e-mail for work and SMS)

Not really. The 8 GB storage is weak. Does anyone know if there is expandable memory?

Not really. The 8 GB storage is weak. Does anyone know if there is expandable memory?

Oh my someone didn't read the front page wall post! You really should. =p

[

url="http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-372-teaser-that-aquos-crystal-is-sharp-take-the-edge-off/]http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-372-teaser-that-aquos-crystal-is-sharp-take-the-edge-off/[/url]

Specifications

Dimensions: 5.16 x 2.6 x 0.40 inches

Weight: 4.97 ounces

Display: 5-inch HD frameless LCD display (1,280x720)

Battery: 2,040mAh Lithium-Ion battery

Memory: 1.5GB RAM; 8GB ROM; SD card up to 128GB (sold separately)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

If ERP is an indicator, it should be pretty good, especially on B25/41.

When I edited the article and added the ERP/EIRP figures, all of the CDMA2000 max figures are for EV-DO.  And with this handset, the max power figures are almost universally 4 dB greater for EV-DO than for CDMA1X.  Band class 1 CDMA1X 1900, for example, peaks at ~19 dBm.  That is definitely on the low side.  So, CDMA1X performance could be a bit of a liability.

AJ

Oh my someone didn't read the front page wall post! You really should.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-372-teaser-that-aquos-crystal-is-sharp-take-the-edge-off/

Specifications

Dimensions: 5.16 x 2.6 x 0.40 inches

Weight: 4.97 ounces

Display: 5-inch HD frameless LCD display (1,280x720)

Battery: 2,040mAh Lithium-Ion battery

Memory: 1.5GB RAM; 8GB ROM; SD card up to 128GB (sold separately)

I even went back and read it before posting. That's what happens when you read things too quickly. :blush:

When I edited the article and added the ERP/EIRP figures, all of the CDMA2000 max figures are for EV-DO. And with this handset, the max power figures are almost universally 4 dB greater for EV-DO than for CDMA1X. Band class 1 CDMA1X 1900, for example, peaks at ~19 dBm. That is definitely on the low side. So, CDMA1X performance could be a bit of a liability.

AJ

What is this CDMA you speak of? Is that what Sprint uses to talk? "Nobody talks in LA!"

• Like 1

It is freaking awesome to have an inexpensive device with an SD card expandable memory. Take that, Google!

• Like 8

I'm banking on Sharp being relatively 'dev-friendly'...If i'm not mistaken, even their Smart-tv lineup allows open development of apps for it, not sure what would go into baking apps for it though. I have one of them, and I know I've seen the dev menu for apps...

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the Sprint release date is August 29, based on the fact that App Pass is to be released that day.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/app-pass-face-sheet.htm

Compatible Devices: Pre-installed on all new Sprint Android devices beginning Aug. 29, 2014. App Pass can also be found under the “Apps” tab of the Sprint Zone app, on supported devices, for current Sprint customers using an Android phone. After the launch on Aug. 29, Sprint customers can visit www.sprint.com/apppass to learn more and download the app. New apps and games will be regularly added to the storefront.

• Like 1

Slightly off subject, but is ting tipping some inside info about Sprint supporting the Nexus 6?

Never mind that! What about that Nokia Lumia 635? I knew nothing about Sprint finally getting a Lumia!

• Like 2

It is.  I hope this is a sign of the future that Softbank is bringing.  Would love to see a slew of high/mid tier sub $400/$300 devices brought over from Asia.  Maybe we'll see stuff from Sony and Lenovo and others eventually too.

THIS. Lenovo phones on Sprint would be awesome.

Never mind that! What about that Nokia Lumia 635? I knew nothing about Sprint finally getting a Lumia!

Ooh, Josh has a thing for Lumia Windows Phone?  I am telling Apple on you.

AJ

Isn't it expandable up to 128 gb? 

This is true, but the OS takes up quite a bit of it leaving you with less to put in apps (much less space hogging games). That I know of you can't put apps on the sd card (Samsung did it) unless Google made an about face and is allowing it now. Of course if one is rooted then I am sure there is a rom or xpose addon that allows you to do it, but who knows if this device is going to be rooted. Most of the xda boys go for top of the line devices to root and create roms. 

TS

• Like 1

This is true, but the OS takes up quite a bit of it leaving you with less to put in apps (much less space hogging games). That I know of you can't put apps on the sd card (Samsung did it) unless Google made an about face and is allowing it now. Of course if one is rooted then I am sure there is a rom or xpose addon that allows you to do it, but who knows if this device is going to be rooted. Most of the xda boys go for top of the line devices to root and create roms. 

TS

I didn't think of that. I find myself struggling with the 12.8 gb on my 5s. I am definitely going to try and go for the 32 this time...I am hoping that it will be 32 gb base model.