Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Yup, that was my first post! I've been lurking for a bit, but never had anything to contribute. But now I do (ZIP uploaded with a few pictures of the tower).

I saw what cmill1023 mentioned with the boxes just along the fence and I included a few pictures of those because I figured that could be some of the installation hardware for LTE (some of the boxes on the end did say Ericsson in fact). I tried to get some shots of the top of the tower so hopefully they have enough detail.

The building door had a Verizon Wireless badge but I didn't see any mention of Sprint, though. I'm not one to say for sure, but it didn't seem like progress was really under way.

Let me know if that helps, or if you figure anything out from that.

after i pulled up and saw those i almost knew instantly it was like christmas day without the food for me haha

Looks like there is a narrow beam width, or something like that, panel that Digiblur has talked about on this tower. For projecting the signal down the highway maybe?

Narrow width in Red, normal panel in Green.

MO_Compare.JPG

I'll bet thats exactly why because this is not a very populated area of town at all a few businesses and truck stops right through there and not much else probably the best test site they could get around there without making people in town gripe about them turning it on and off for testing purposes

I'll bet thats exactly why because this is not a very populated area of town at all a few businesses and truck stops right through there and not much else probably the best test site they could get around there without making people in town gripe about them turning it on and off for testing purposes

Holy run-on :lol:

Anyway, glad to see more activity in this thread!

Yup, that was my first post! I've been lurking for a bit, but never had anything to contribute. But now I do (ZIP uploaded with a few pictures of the tower).

I saw what cmill1023 mentioned with the boxes just along the fence and I included a few pictures of those because I figured that could be some of the installation hardware for LTE (some of the boxes on the end did say Ericsson in fact). I tried to get some shots of the top of the tower so hopefully they have enough detail.

The building door had a Verizon Wireless badge but I didn't see any mention of Sprint, though. I'm not one to say for sure, but it didn't seem like progress was really under way.

Let me know if that helps, or if you figure anything out from that.

Next time you, or anyone is around this tower and others, look for orange poles about buried fiber. We are tracking the progress with a spreadsheet so any info to keep track would be great.

Thanks!

Good to see this is being sped up. When STL goes live, I hope it's a case where Sprint gets it absolutely right. They need to, because Verizon and AT&T are really, really good there.

I'll be elated when NV makes it's way to STL - I'm consistently impressed with coworker's AT&T and Verizon devices pulling down massively steady speeds over LTE. Meanwhile, I'm roaming on Edge or going on Extended half the time at my desk.

I'm glad Joplin is getting LTE; after the devistation, they deserve to cut in line. Anything to make those folks happier is fine in my book.

A guy at work just got a ATT Iphone5 and his LTE is about 8-10 down where it uses it in St Charles County, MO.

I think Sprint will be about as fast.

They must have a 5x5 there. AT&T has the spectrum for a 10x10 here in Tulsa but the performance indicates otherwise. I'll have to check my friends dialer screens to see what it really is but I get about 4-8 Mbps at my house.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hi folks,....For your information... Missouri markets sites are coming live by next week.one of our team is moving to missouri market from Kansas this weekend for network vision to provide field test support. Ericsson transferred one of our team to Missouri market to speed up Site Integration..

I've got another question, I hope you don't mind. I have seen reports where people get up in the middle of the night and have LTE for a few minutes then its gone. Do you guys work normal hours or staggered times? I imagine most of the tower work would be done in daylight for safety but maybe testing at night to lessen impact on customers?

Anyway its great to have one working on the rollout in the forums. Welcome!

I've got another question, I hope you don't mind. I have seen reports where people get up in the middle of the night and have LTE for a few minutes then its gone. Do you guys work normal hours or staggered times? I imagine most of the tower work would be done in daylight for safety but maybe testing at night to lessen impact on customers?

Anyway its great to have one working on the rollout in the forums. Welcome!

This question has been asked before. Yes, a lot of testing is done at night to minimize impacts to customers.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

8 Mbps on LTE is on the slow side for AT&T and Verizon in St. Louis. I've used a friends One X+ to get to 57 Mbps up there. Verizon is no slouch either. St. Charles isn't backhauled by AT&T like St. Louis City and County is, though. I'm pretty sure CenturyLink is the ILEC there.

Edited by Fraydog

8 Mbps on LTE is on the slow side for AT&T and Verizon in St. Louis. I've used a friends One X+ to get to 57 Mbps up there. Verizon is no slouch either. St. Charles isn't backhauled by AT&T like St. Louis City and County is, though. I'm pretty sure CenturyLink is the ILEC there.

Isn't this forum for sprint LTE roll out in Missouri market? Yep thought so, nobody is here to hear about att and Verizon

Isn't this forum for sprint LTE roll out in Missouri market? Yep thought so, nobody is here to hear about att and Verizon

I think it's relevant to see what Sprint has to compete with in a given market. I don't think Sprint has to blow these companies away. They just have to get the new network rolled out. Given Sprint's relationship with CenturyLink, I think they'll do very well in St. Charles County.

But anyway, thanks for the snark. :lol::rofl::D

Edited by Fraydog

I think it'I s relevant to see what Sprint has to compete with in a given market. I don't think Sprint has to blow these companies away. They just have to get the new network rolled out. Given Sprint's relationship with CenturyLink, I think they'll do very well in St. Charles County.

Definitely understand that view point, but again when coming to this thread you expect to find reports and information relevant to your market without digging through heaps of useless info. If you want to discuss other carriers in a market start a new thread, but don't fill up one that was started to be easily followed with information that's not even close to what you would get excited to read about under the title

I think it's relevant to see what Sprint has to compete with in a given market. I don't think Sprint has to blow these companies away. They just have to get the new network rolled out. Given Sprint's relationship with CenturyLink, I think they'll do very well in St. Charles County.

Definitely understand that view point, but again when coming to this thread you expect to find reports and information relevant to your market without digging through heaps of useless info. If you want to discuss other carriers in a market start a new thread, but don't fill up one that was started to be easily followed with information that's not even close to what you would get excited to read about under the title

It can be relevant, especially if you're just stating facts and comparing, not complaining. So no harm done.

As long as it's not horribly off topic, or against the site rules, we encourage members to post their thoughts and experiences.

But we do like to stick to Sprint ;)

Cmill, any luck finding an LTE signal in Joplin yet? According to a poster the site SW of town on I-44 should be on by now.

I can understand that. I just don't think I've filled up this thread with speed tests for other providers. For the most part, I put that information over at HoFo where the other network fanboys play.

It can be relevant, especially if you're just stating facts and comparing, not complaining. So no harm done.

As long as it's not horribly off topic, or against the site rules, we encourage members to post their thoughts and experiences.

But we do like to stick to Sprint ;)

Cmill, any luck finding an LTE signal in Joplin yet? According to a poster the site SW of town on I-44 should be on by now.

I check every night because that report, and it's apparently not true I go to the tower found with known updates and nothing. That's why I was frustrated with the bloat of information that has nothing to do with equipment for sprint or sprint coverage or sprint updates because that's what I come here for lol

I check every night because that report, and it's apparently not true I go to the tower found with known updates and nothing. That's why I was frustrated with the bloat of information that has nothing to do with equipment for sprint or sprint coverage or sprint updates because that's what I come here for lol

Well, the site has equipment installed, we know that. It just remains to be seen as to when it gets turned on. We don't know if backhaul as been installed yet. If anyone nearby has a chance to check on that that would be great. You'd look for freshly disturbed soil and orange posts indicating buried cable or fiber.

Just got back the boxes have been moved it's dark but I lit the site as best I could with the headlights no evidence of fiber yet and 3G speed was pulling a staggering 0.25 MB/S and yes made sure to toggle airplane mode since I have an Evo LTE

Probably fluctuation due to time of day. NV 3G and 4G typically have pings under 100, typically under 90ms.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 26

Yea figured they don't have back haul done since the RRUS and new panels are up

Not that anybody knows but would it be safe to say we should see LTE in the STL by July or closer to the end of the year? Sprint reps in the stores in my area 1st said by the end of 2012 then around June of this year, then today I spoke with 2 different reps in two different stores and they both said I would be lucky to see any LTE before the end of 2013!!! My guess is that they have no idea.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2