Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

I echo Robert's comments, and would further state that if 3 Mbps is 'poor speed' for anyone then I'd like to know what the heck they're trying to accomplish with their phone such that they'd actually need higher speed connectivity consistently.  You can debate speedtests of 'who is faster' every day till Sunday, but for the vast majority of the population the question ultimately is 'is the service fast enough for what I typically do on an average day for a reasonable cost?'.    And having spent a good deal of time in Shentel areas since I came to S4GRU, I can tell you firsthand that assuming you either live in or travel primarily in Shentel-covered areas, you'd be insane to give up Sprint.  

If you have a legitimate need for faster than 3 Mbps speeds, you're an exception, but if you just want faster to show off to others, make sure you go buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari to commute back and forth to work too, its flashier and will get you there faster at a premium cost compared to a Honda certainly.

• Like 1

If you have a legitimate need for faster than 3 Mbps speeds, you're an exception, but if you just want faster to show off to others, make sure you go buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari to commute back and forth to work too, its flashier and will get you there faster at a premium cost compared to a Honda certainly.

Moar e-penis!  My team...er, wireless provider...must win.  I want to shove it in the other fans' faces.  We're #1!

AJ

• Like 3

Moar e-penis!  My team...er, wireless provider...must win.  I want to shove it in the other fans' faces.  We're #1!

AJ

Oh the over compensators... Always trying to make up for a lack of size with a big ass truck/more 4g's than anyone else.

All around Winchester and Frederick County. I see no problem with Shentel.

I got a new helper the other week that's on AT&T and his LTE is barely usable while I rarely have issues.

2013-12-26%2016.21.56.png?dl=1

• Like 1

I've actually been impressed with the speeds in Woodstock lately. My closest tower is about 3 blocks away and that tower has been slow compared to the others. I would consistently get between 5 and 8 mbps download and about 3 mbps upload. In the past few weeks I've been getting 15-22 down and about 8 up. Not sure what they did but I'm happy with those results. I'm very pleased with Shentel's wireless division. The wired side of the business is another story though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

People that are that shortsighted should go to another carrier. You sure are using a very limited scope to explain AT&T has 15Mbps WCDMA speeds. I use AT&T, so I know what to expect. Since they use single carrier HSPA+, you would only hit speeds like that if you were the only person on that site and it had mega unburdened backhaul.

The fastest AT&T WCDMA I've ever encountered was 12Mbps. Heck, AT&T LTE at normal burdened sites runs around 15Mbps. So even if your whole family moved to AT&T, they are not going to see 15Mbps with AT&T WCDMA. They would likely see 2-6Mbps as normal. I even sometimes find 100kbps sites. And don't get me started how AT&T couldn't even deploy enough capacity for a busy mall in South Dakota on Christmas Eve.

So what is the normal speed of the Shentel network? You show one speed test. Where was it taken? How strong was the signal? Was it in an area with good tower density? What time of day? I am not hearing consistent issues that Shentel speeds are slow. Quite the opposite. I hear that in normal and high density areas that Shentel LTE runs the same speeds or better than Verizon.

I no longer have Sprint as I no longer live in a coverage area. I have both AT&T and Verizon. Let me tell you, the grass is not always greener. Not only do AT&T and VZW have some very slow places on their network (even on LTE), but they also limit how much you can use.

I wouldn't advise anyone with an unlimited plan that has great coverage receiving at worst average 3Mbps to leave for AT&T or VZW tiered plans that may be faster in some places, but will still find places that run at 3Mbps. Or worse.

In Shentel areas, Shentel provides the best coverage. Even better than VZW and AT&T, all things considered. They even have very dense networks in some small cities, like Harrisonburg, York, Winchester, etc.

Shentel also is deploying LTE 800 right now. Which will increase capacity and speeds for those with Band 26 devices. For the long term, Shentel does not yet have a Band 41 agreement with Sprint. But they likely will.

However, if someone has got to have something greater than 3Mbps (with no guarantee), then they should probably jump ship right this very second. I'm sure AT&T is ready to accept their money.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

EDIT: oh, and I also forgot to mention ping. The Shentel ping is 58ms. I bet the AT&T WCDMA ping is between 150-300ms. The Shentel LTE will feel faster than the 15Mbps WCDMA in 90% of uses. Only in large downloading type situations would the WCDMA feel faster. This is more about seeing one number is bigger than actual performance.

I guess I came across a very uninformed. I was basically looking for ammunition to go back to them and explain what is going on. I have never had any speed issues (latency never being an issue in that area) once I get LTE. Penetration of LTE being a practical issue. I am happy with my service, unfortunately those in girlfriend's family are not so much. Thank you for throwing a bunch of useful facts to help my argument.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed our phones all switched from 4G to 3G last night right at 1AM. Hopefully that's a sign Shentel may be working on some upgrades, hopefully LTE800. Anybody have any information if Shentel started any work on LTE800?

I noticed our phones all switched from 4G to 3G last night right at 1AM. Hopefully that's a sign Shentel may be working on some upgrades, hopefully LTE800. Anybody have any information if Shentel started any work on LTE800?

Is it currently still 3G?  I have remained on 4G LTE here in Harrisburg (Shentel). 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a conversation in the past few days with a Shentel/Sprint technician. This is a tech who works on the towers, not one in a store. He said LTE800 should go live very soon as all the hardware is in place and it's a simple upgrade to make it go live. LTE2500 equipment is "in" and should start going up soon but he didn't have an exact timeline. I asked him if Shentel and Sprint redid the contract since the last I knew Shentel's current agreement didn't include 2500 but he didn't have any info on that. The fact the equipment has come in, it sounds like a clue to me.

As far as some other towers that seem to be in limbo, he said there are so many reasons why that can happen. He told me about one tower in particular that the tower owner is putting up a new tower next to the old one and Shentel is waiting to replace the equipment until the new tower is built.   

Seems like Shentel is doing well and keeping up the quick pace that they had during NV 1.0.

• Like 3

I had a conversation in the past few days with a Shentel/Sprint technician. This is a tech who works on the towers, not one in a store. He said LTE800 should go live very soon as all the hardware is in place and it's a simple upgrade to make it go live. LTE2500 equipment is "in" and should start going up soon but he didn't have an exact timeline. I asked him if Shentel and Sprint redid the contract since the last I knew Shentel's current agreement didn't include 2500 but he didn't have any info on that. The fact the equipment has come in, it sounds like a clue to me.

As far as some other towers that seem to be in limbo, he said there are so many reasons why that can happen. He told me about one tower in particular that the tower owner is putting up a new tower next to the old one and Shentel is waiting to replace the equipment until the new tower is built.   

Seems like Shentel is doing well and keeping up the quick pace that they had during NV 1.0.

This is great news. When LTE 800 goes live, I'll have to resurrect my LG G2 and check out the in-building performance. This should beat the heck out of Verizon, since the Shentel towers around Harrisburg PA are so densely positioned.

• Like 1

This is great news. When LTE 800 goes live, I'll have to resurrect my LG G2 and check out the in-building performance. This should beat the heck out of Verizon, since the Shentel towers around Harrisburg PA are so densely positioned.

In a place like Harrisburg, a fully deployed Band 26 network on Sprint should be killer. And now that Shentel has confirmed a Band 41 overlay, it should be glorious!

Forget Sprint taking over Tmo. Shentel should take over Sprint. (Yes, I know that Shentel is only so successful because they are small, but they are even well run for a small company. Swiftel is even smaller and is tragically run.)

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In a place like Harrisburg, a fully deployed Band 26 network on Sprint should be killer. And now that Shentel has confirmed a Band 41 overlay, it should be glorious!

Forget Sprint taking over Tmo. Shentel should take over Sprint. (Yes, I know that Shentel is only so successful because they are small, but they are even well run for a small company. Swiftel is even smaller and is tragically run.)

Swiftel. :blink:  I totally forgot about them... Have they shown signs of doing anything NV related?

Right On!

Swiftel. :blink: I totally forgot about them... Have they shown signs of doing anything NV related?

No. People are bailing on Sprint and Swiftel in Eastern South Dakota. If Swiftel was at least maintaining its 3G service, it wouldn't be so bad. But its awful.

I almost get a vibe that Swiftel may sell off its wireless to a Sprint competitor or make a new alliance. They seem to not care about their network outside of their hometown of Brookings.

Shentel came to an agreement with Sprint to roll out B41? I can't see them rolling out much B41 yet as the population density in their areas just isn't that high to necessitate it. Can't wait for 800mhz LTE though.

Shentel came to an agreement with Sprint to roll out B41? I can't see them rolling out much B41 yet as the population density in their areas just isn't that high to necessitate it. Can't wait for 800mhz LTE though.

I now have had three Shentel sources tell me that Sprint and Shentel have come to an agreement on Band 41 and they will begin deployment before the end of the 2nd Quarter.  And possibly sooner if they can get equipment faster than currently scheduled.  It is believed to just be an urban overlay, and not going to be over the whole Shentel network.  At least for now.

In my mind, I see it Harrisburg, Hagerstown and Harrisonburg for sure.  And likely in Altoona, York, Martinsburg and Winchester.  The types of places that could go either way are Gettysburg, Chambersburg, Carlisle, Lebanon, Charles Town, Strasburg/Front Royal, etc.

Robert

• Like 3

I now have had three Shentel sources tell me that Sprint and Shentel have come to an agreement on Band 41 and they will begin deployment before the end of the 2nd Quarter.  And possibly sooner if they can get equipment faster than currently scheduled.  It is believed to just be an urban overlay, and not going to be over the whole Shentel network.  At least for now.

In my mind, I see it Harrisburg, Hagerstown and Harrisonburg for sure.  And likely in Altoona, York, Martinsburg and Winchester.  The types of places that could go either way are Gettysburg, Chambersburg, Carlisle, Lebanon, Charles Town, Strasburg/Front Royal, etc.

Robert

Wow, good to know. I live right next to a WiMAX site. I'm surprised a company as small as Shentel can afford the cash outlays of these modernizations. I know it was a big topic in their earnings calls regarding their large amount of capital investments. Glad to see it though. However, I'm curious what will occur here since Sprint owns the old WiMAX sites post Clear merger and Shentel rents their own space on towers or owns their own towers.... will the old WiMAX sites be turned over to Shentel? Or will many be decommissioned and simply co-located on Shentel racks?

I feel very fortunate to live in a Sprint Shentel area.  Shentel is always right on top of everything. 

Band 41 will definitely be a bonus, but I am really eager for band 26. 

I forgot to mention that I received a text from Sprint a few days ago saying that "the new network will be complete in about a month in my area making it better than ever".  I am paraphrasing...  The included link pointed to a site that said HD voice and Spark will soon follow in my area. 

Edited by The_Chemist

Wow, good to know. I live right next to a WiMAX site. I'm surprised a company as small as Shentel can afford the cash outlays of these modernizations. I know it was a big topic in their earnings calls regarding their large amount of capital investments. Glad to see it though. However, I'm curious what will occur here since Sprint owns the old WiMAX sites post Clear merger and Shentel rents their own space on towers or owns their own towers.... will the old WiMAX sites be turned over to Shentel? Or will many be decommissioned and simply co-located on Shentel racks?

Shentel may only be installing Band 41 on their own sites, and the Clearwire sites may just stay WiMax and then just go away after decommissioning of the network.  Or maybe Shentel will assume leases on Clearwire sites?  Or maybe they will run on both Shentel NV sites and Clearwire sites (except where co-located) like in other Clearwire areas?

We don't have those kinds of details yet.

Robert

I'm hope Winchester will get Band 41 in the first round. It really sucks when sending a text crashes your phone during Apple Blossom because it's so over loaded. At least the last two years they finally brought two COWs with fiber back haul but it didn't help much.

It was nice four years ago when not that many people had a smart phone. I noticed that the smart phone took higher priority over the feature phones when it came to placing a call. Now days you're lucky to get .5 down during AB with a medium signal from so many smart phones. Going from 20,000 to 250,000(high estimate) will do that though.

I'm hope Winchester will get Band 41 in the first round. It really sucks when sending a text crashes your phone during Apple Blossom because it's so over loaded. At least the last two years they finally brought two COWs with fiber back haul but it didn't help much.

It was nice four years ago when not that many people had a smart phone. I noticed that the smart phone took higher priority over the feature phones when it came to placing a call. Now days you're lucky to get .5 down during AB with a medium signal from so many smart phones. Going from 20,000 to 250,000(high estimate) will do that though.

To bad sending a text has nothing to do with LTE, more like 1xrtt and if your phone crashed while sending one. It is more of a problem with your phone

To bad sending a text has nothing to do with LTE, more like 1xrtt and if your phone crashed while sending one. It is more of a problem with your phone

Agree. B41 will have no bearing on the ability to handle call/text volume, I don't believe(or did I read that texts can be passed through LTE via eCSFB?). This should all still pass through the 1x side.

It was back when I had a dumb phone. It was back before LTE but it still did it to my poor friends last year.

In my head I explained the situation but apparently I didn't type what my brain thought.