Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

Leozno1 again thank you. I just sent in a donation, Not sure how long that part takes but when it is done can you point me in the direction of those maps to check out my area.

Thanks again.

Well your account is now listed as an S4GRU Sponsor so you're good to go. Just go to the Main forums page and scroll down and there is a section titled "Interactive S4GRU Maps" and if you go in there, you can find the maps specifically for the state of Pennsylvania.

And just to help you out here is the direct link to that map.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/705-network-vision-site-map-pennsylvania-markets/

So, what are the chances that Shentel got LTE up and running in downtown York for tonight.. for the York City's New Years Revolution presented by Sprint? Shentel dumps a lot of money into advertising in York so it would be great if their phones weren't the only ones that didn't work in York city at midnight tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

LTE has been turned on in Dillsburg, PA just saw it on Sensorly.

BTW whoever is mapping LTE just east of Chambersburg, PA deserves a reward.

They're doing an awesome job!

That would be me. Doing quite a bit to the south of Chambersburg ooo even including Hagerstown, Md

The LTE here is very very good thanks to Shentel and they ain't done yet.

• Like 1

That would be me. Doing quite a bit to the south of Chambersburg ooo even including Hagerstown, Md

The LTE here is very very good thanks to Shentel and they ain't done yet.

Ahh chamb, I should have known! Awesome job man. I can tell that a lot of time and gas has been invested in mapping all that haha. What kind of speeds are you seeing on 3G down there?

Ahh chamb, I should have known! Awesome job man. I can tell that a lot of time and gas has been invested in mapping all that haha. What kind of speeds are you seeing on 3G down there?

I know the area well and travel through quite often. Just take strange routes each time and eventually I get most of the roads.

The 3G works very good once Shentel gets hold of a site and works on it. When they add the fiber or microwave backhaul which is REQUIRED for LTE, the 3G is fixed. Of course, I still have territory that has not been upgraded yet, and the 3g there is still slow. Two different situations entirely. Can be 500 k or so if it has not been upgraded and 2 meg or so it has been upgraded.

The LTE is really really good when they get it done. I have quite a few adjacent sites that are complete. Amazing how a cell phone will work with a 27 meg download speed.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news gentlemen (and ladies) I was driving down George Street a couple minutes ago and at the intersection of South George Street and King Street in York and I looked at my phone and saw the 4G icon was on. I launched Sensorly but for some reason it absolutely refuses to map my trip. I tried turning on and off the gps, closing and reopening the app and nothing. But I managed to hold a connection all the way down to George street and Cottage place where it dropped back down to 3G.

• Like 3

Good news gentlemen (and ladies) I was driving down George Street a couple minutes ago and at the intersection of South George Street and King Street in York and I looked at my phone and saw the 4G icon was on. I launched Sensorly but for some reason it absolutely refuses to map my trip. I tried turning on and off the gps, closing and reopening the app and nothing. But I managed to hold a connection all the way down to George street and Cottage place where it dropped back down to 3G.

Sensorly. When it worked weeks ago, it was something very useful to us. For some reason, I have been having issues with it lately. I sure do know how to use it. I see it take many hours or even a day for some points to upload to the maps. Then you might see some of the maps update, but when you zoom in on an address, some zoom levels show one thing and other zoom levels show something else. Sometimes it does straighten out, but sometimes it does not.

Also, on a PC, if you drag a map to look at a nearby neighborhood, sometimes the new portion of the map does not update unless you reload the page. Even then, it is not dependable.

And on a cell phone, when you are driving around and trying to look at the map, it only works sometimes. When you go far enough and the map moves to show new territory, the map may not update at all or only partially, And it is mostly a delayed update.

This all makes me sad. Sensorly WAS a VERY good tool, but something has happened to it.

• Like 1

A new York site went live this week. Its shown on the update maps. :tu:

Shentel is finally starting to slow down. 25 updates this week. It appears they did a big push for the end of 2012. Now all those inspections are complete and we may be hitting a new normal for Shentel deployment. 25 is still a very respectable number, though.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

A new York site went live this week. Its shown on the update maps. :tu:

Shentel is finally starting to slow down. 25 updates this week. It appears they did a big push for the end of 2012. Now all those inspections are complete and we may be hitting a new normal for Shentel deployment. 25 is still a very respectable number, though.

Absolutely! I'll keep an eye out for tower SH00PA000 since I can literally see it from my house. Also it is at the top of a huge hill and about 300 feet above the rest of the the city of York, and with the proper downtilt it can potentially cover the entire south east part of the city.

Also gonna keep an eye out in Lancaster, PA since I drive there every weekend and it seems like the Central PA market is getting started. :)

Absolutely! I'll keep an eye out for tower SH00PA000 since I can literally see it from my house. Also it is at the top of a huge hill and about 300 feet above the rest of the the city of York, and with the proper downtilt it can potentially cover the entire southern half of the city.

Also gonna keep an eye out in Lancaster, PA since I drive there every weekend and it seems like the Central PA market is getting started. :)

Note that I do not have site numbers for about half the Shentel sites. So if it ends in 000, it's not actually a site number.

Additionally, all the Central PA sites initially are GMO sites. Full build sites are probably still a few months out.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Definitely read this as New York (NY) and was very confused for a moment. :wall:

"Old New York used to be New Amsterdam.". :lol:

*sang*

• Like 1

Just curious, has anyone picked up LTE on 68 between I-81 and 632? (by the Jellystone campground). I was wondering since I'm heading up there for vacation in June and it seems that stretch was ether not covered or not Sensorly'd (hey made up a new word).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just curious, has anyone picked up LTE on 68 between I-81 and 632? (by the Jellystone campground). I was wondering since I'm heading up there for vacation in June and it seems that stretch was ether not covered or not Sensorly'd (hey made up a new word).

Gd224 - The Sensorly mapping you see in that area was almost totally done by me and only me. I simply did not run over that section of road. I would be about 90% sure that LTE would be there and work fine. You are close enough to a NV cell site at the I-81 Exit. The mapping you see was not done completely as I do not get through that area very often. I know for a fact the LTE is more complete than it looks on Sensorly simply because nobody had the time to map the area totally.

If you happen to get into rough territory with hills and valleys along with big trees at Jellystone, maybe you might have an issue.

Unless you are blocked from receiving the signal coming from the exit at I-81, you will be ok. It has been many many years since I was in Jellystone and I do not remember how open it is toward I-81. Nobody even thought about Cell phone coverage when I was there. It was before anybody even thought about having a cell phone.

Gd224 - The Sensorly mapping you see in that area was almost totally done by me and only me. I simply did not run over that section of road. I would be about 90% sure that LTE would be there and work fine. You are close enough to a NV cell site at the I-81 Exit. The mapping you see was not done completely as I do not get through that area very often. I know for a fact the LTE is more complete than it looks on Sensorly simply because nobody had the time to map the area totally.

If you happen to get into rough territory with hills and valleys along with big trees at Jellystone, maybe you might have an issue.

Unless you are blocked from receiving the signal coming from the exit at I-81, you will be ok. It has been many many years since I was in Jellystone and I do not remember how open it is toward I-81. Nobody even thought about Cell phone coverage when I was there. It was before anybody even thought about having a cell phone.

I know some areas of the campground are open some have trees by them, but I'm sure it would be fine too. Thanks for letting me know too.

Note that I do not have site numbers for about half the Shentel sites. So if it ends in 000, it's not actually a site number.

Additionally, all the Central PA sites initially are GMO sites. Full build sites are probably still a few months out.

I didn't know exactly what a GMO site was when you posted this but now that you posted that article about GMOs I understand what it means. Its unfortunate that they won't get 800Mhz initially since I get absolutely TERRIBLE signal in my girlfriends neighborhood on Eden Road in Lancaster where I only get 1-2 bars outside and in her house I jump between 1 bar of signal and roaming. I was greatly looking forward to the increase in signal strength from the RRUs as well as 800Mhz voice and LTE but heck I'll take improved 3G over nothing at all. Good thing is that we will eventually get those upgrades sometime in the future.

I didn't know exactly what a GMO site was when you posted this but now that you posted that article about GMOs I understand what it means. Its unfortunate that they won't get 800Mhz initially since I get absolutely TERRIBLE signal in my girlfriends neighborhood on Eden Road in Lancaster where I only get 1-2 bars outside and in her house I jump between 1 bar of signal and roaming. I was greatly looking forward to the increase in signal strength from the RRUs as well as 800Mhz voice and LTE but heck I'll take improved 3G over nothing at all. Good thing is that we will eventually get those upgrades sometime in the future.

Not all Central PA market sites are GMO. What I was saying is that all sites accepted to date have been GMO's. Only GMO's In Progress at the moment in the Central PA market. Full builds will not start until some time this summer.

There is a map in the Premier Sponsor section that shows GMO sites in most markets. It does include the Central PA market.

Not all Central PA market sites are GMO. What I was saying is that all sites accepted to date have been GMO's. Only GMO's In Progress at the moment in the Central PA market. Full builds will not start until some time this summer.

There is a map in the Premier Sponsor section that shows GMO sites in most markets. It does include the Central PA market.

Ahhhhh sorry for misunderstanding what you meant, that makes me feel tons better =) I am very optimistic for GMO sites since they will bring enhanced 3G to market much faster! If I had fast 3G it would make the wait for LTE so much easier. In the meantime I'm doing my best sales rep impression trying to convince my cousin to not leave Sprint.

• 3 weeks later...

Altoona, PA will be launched soon. It has been added to Sprint's official coverage maps.

What I want to know is why Sprint still uses such terrible mapping technologies for their coverage maps. It takes 5-10 seconds just to zoom in 1 layer or to pan left or right. Why can't they just use Google maps and overlay their coverage data on top like Clearwire's maps?

• Like 1

What I want to know is why Sprint still uses such terrible mapping technologies for their coverage maps. It takes 5-10 seconds just to zoom in 1 layer or to pan left or right. Why can't they just use Google maps and overlay their coverage data on top like Clearwire's maps?

You asking me? Cause I have no idea.

The window size kind of sucks and having to zoom in so close really makes it hard to judge coverage over a wider area. The maps just suck and it is probably last on the list of things they have to fix.

Or you can go in and make your own...

http://coverage.spri...h=T&antiAlias=T

I'm kind of surprised Sprint hasn't moved toward ArcServer. The newer interactive USGS maps use that and it works pretty well. I'm sure Sprint has Arc software in the mix. I think if they did move toward an ArcServer environment that they could easily have the nicest interactive maps of all the carriers. Most carriers don't have the best online mapping solution at present. I do like the clear maps much better and they load fast.