Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

I pretty much keep 1-2 bars from us 50 until after wardensville. It jumps between native and roaming a few times

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 4 weeks later...

Had some free time today so I decided to do a little sensorly mapping. I covered Shentels northeastern boundary and got some voice and lte coverage on the maps. It was looking pretty bare up that way so I figured it could use some color. I covered Halifax, Millersburg, Elizabethville, Lykens and Williamstown PA. Was an awesome scenic drive with lots to see. After some of the terrain obstacles I saw today, I'm really impressed with how quickly Shentel has upgraded their network. They've done an awesome job. Unfortunately I have a note 2 that is currently being blocked for scanning 800mhz because of whatever connectivity issue Samsung /Sprint are having with the notes. There was several times I saw 800 blip on and off so the voice/3g coverage may be even stronger than what my phone represented on Sensorly.

• Like 1

Had some free time today so I decided to do a little sensorly mapping. I covered Shentels northeastern boundary and got some voice and lte coverage on the maps. It was looking pretty bare up that way so I figured it could use some color. I covered Halifax, Millersburg, Elizabethville, Lykens and Williamstown PA. Was an awesome scenic drive with lots to see. After some of the terrain obstacles I saw today, I'm really impressed with how quickly Shentel has upgraded their network. They've done an awesome job. Unfortunately I have a note 2 that is currently being blocked for scanning 800mhz because of whatever connectivity issue Samsung /Sprint are having with the notes. There was several times I saw 800 blip on and off so the voice/3g coverage may be even stronger than what my phone represented on Sensorly.

Yes, get that Note 2 to function on 800 mhz and try it again.  You will be totally thrilled. And to make it better, Shentel tain't even done yet. It is going to get even better. I have a Galaxy S3 and it does work on 800. Shentel probably has the highest percentage of 800 sites active and it really really works well. And, did I say that they tain't done yet.

• Like 1

From Aug 2, 2013 Shentel Earnings report Discussion.     Publicly released info

4G Upgrade On Schedule; 81% of Cell Sites Upgraded

"With 427 of our 525 cell sites upgraded as of June 30, we are on track to complete our portion of the Sprint Network Vision 4G upgrade by the close of 2013"

Service revenues in the wireless segment increased 15.4% to $46.4 million as compared to the second quarter of 2012. Net postpaid service revenues increased $3.4 million due primarily to a 4.6% growth in customers and increased data fees on smartphones. Net prepaid service revenues grew $2.8 million, or 36.2%, with 15.3% growth in the pre-paid customer base as compared to the same period of 2012.

• Like 1

I also saw that Sprint raised the fee they charge Shentel to 14% from 12%, the highest their contract will allow. I remember reading it was elastic, interesting Sprint chose to raise it.

I live in the Harrisburg Pa Shentel market and having some issues with the 800mhz. I updated to prl 25015 about a week ago and started noticing my phone picking up 800. The issue is whenever my phone is connected to 800 my txt msgs will fail and voice calls can't be made. When it would randomly switch back to 1X all services were restored. This is happening specifically in the Middletown, PA at the Harrisburg Int'l Airport site but yesterday my phone stayed on 800 all the way through Hbg with disabled voice/txt. Thinking there may be something wrong with prl 25015 because I decided to update my prl again and now I have Prl 2000 and my phone hasn't looked for 800 so far today. Maybe the towers are ready to broadcast 800 but shentel hasn't flipped the switch and I got ahold of the 25015 PRL a little early. Anyway, I'm excited for the new frequency, just wanted to share my experiences with it so far.

I'm currently using 56015 prl ... I thought that one was better for the roaming.

Would I get better LTE coverage if I switched to the 25015 prl or does that 56015 look for 800mhz first as well. 

I get LTE outside of my house, but not indoors.  I live in Harrisburg.

I'm currently using 56015 prl ... I thought that one was better for the roaming.

Would I get better LTE coverage if I switched to the 25015 prl or does that 56015 look for 800mhz first as well.

I get LTE outside of my house, but not indoors. I live in Harrisburg.

The only affect PRLs have on LTE is whether you have LTE or not in the geographic area.

56015 is 25015's big brother with evdo roaming added on most carriers. They both scan for 800SMR first for cdma services.

I get LTE outside of my house, but not indoors.  I live in Harrisburg.

That is the correct PRL for your phone. My issue was specifically with the Note 2 running on 800. A few months back when Shentel started turning on 800 my phone was having some network issues but your model should be fine and most of the towers in the Harrisburg area have been updated. Hopefully your indoor situation will change with LTE 800.

Does Shentel have a graphical LTE/800 coverage map?  When I go to NY and Florida I drive through WV.. Was wondering how the coverage was in areas I may drive through which has been upgraded widely since this thread started... If anyone has any info I can't find much at all when I google for it.. Thx

Does Shentel have a graphical LTE/800 coverage map? When I go to NY and Florida I drive through WV.. Was wondering how the coverage was in areas I may drive through which has been upgraded widely since this thread started... If anyone has any info I can't find much at all when I google for it.. Thx

If you have sensorly, Sprints LTE look on the I81 corridor from Harrisonburg, Va to Harrisburg, Pa is ShenTels territory.

• 1 month later...

So I was at my friends wedding today and stepped outside and noticed the gps antenna sticking up. What are they going to do with this one? Here are some more https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qzpm655x1qlxgyn/5-makDkvANIMG_8544.JPG?token_hash=AAHzODURVUsOZRO3

Edit: It's at 2633 Papermill Rd, Winchester, VA 22601

• 2 weeks later...

I will be visiting shentel land this Friday to visit Carlisle (I love the car show lol) I'll be doing any sensorly mapping I can.

I was there in late August for the Corvette show. Really good coverage all thru the fairgrounds. I mapped driving in thru the old army barracks gate but then shut it off since I didn't want to kill the battery walking around.

• Like 1

I was there in late August for the Corvette show. Really good coverage all thru the fairgrounds. I mapped driving in thru the old army barracks gate but then shut it off since I didn't want to kill the battery walking around.

I'm assuming 1x800 was available

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a way to report coverage issues to Shentel or Sprint? I recently got rid of my Note II due to inability to make/receive phone calls or send text messages anywhere in the Harrisburg/York area but there are still a few areas where I get no service that I feel are well enough populated that they shouldn't be lacking service (near 1700 S Market St, Mechanicsburg, PA for example).

Does anyone know if there is a way to report coverage issues to Shentel or Sprint? I recently got rid of my Note II due to inability to make/receive phone calls or send text messages anywhere in the Harrisburg/York area but there are still a few areas where I get no service that I feel are well enough populated that they shouldn't be lacking service (near 1700 S Market St, Mechanicsburg, PA for example).

You can tweet @sprintcare although I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can tweet @sprintcare although I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Thanks, I guess I can give it a shot. I wasn't sure if Shentel had their own version of this because I'm sure that me telling Sprint that there are service issues in a Shentel territory won't get me very far.

Either call or go to your local sprint store and have them submit a trouble ticket. I believe the closest one is in chambersburg near the fuddruckers

I'll be visiting Hershey for a couple of days next week for a conference. Sounds like I shouldn't even attempt to leave a 800-supported PRL on my Note II, correct?

I was just in Hershey Sunday and Monday.  800 voice was there everywhere. Worked perfect. However, I was using a Galaxy S3.

I have no idea what your Note 2 will do with the 800.  There have been people that reported a Note 2 has trouble with the 800, but others use the 800 fine with a Note 2.   So, it may or may not work for you. The 800 did penetrate the tough Hershey Medical center building fine while the 1900 LTE was ok in some spots but not others.