Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

From a quick couple tests, no issues with my Note 2 here, though I didn't get 800 until late tonight. Even with resetting radio.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Anyone in the Harrisburg/Hershey area?  I only had 800 for part of yesterday and part of today.  Curious if it is something with the network or related to the Note 2 issues.

No. If you have 1900, it won't search for 800. Once you get bumped to 800 (when you hit an area with 800 coverage and poor 1900), generally you'll keep it unless you enter an area without 800mhz support. I generally don't pick up 800 mhz after coming back to Shentel areas until going deep inside a building. Shentel's 1900mhz is pretty damn good which is why you don't necessarily pick up 800 quickly.

It must be different in Shentel territory in VA. I have 800mhz everywhere around here. It must prioritize 800 over 1900 in my area. Either way, as long as you are getting a signal, that's the main thing. 

The frequency you are on is handled by your phone. Different PRLs will change witch network your phone prefers.

The frequency you are on is handled by your phone. Different PRLs will change witch network your phone prefers.

I also believe different phones have different PRLs and versions there within, so experiences will vary accordingly.  Though I could be wrong.

• Like 1

From reading recent posts in the SMR 800 thread, it appears that the phone will only search for 800 if it is on 1900 is if it loses 1900 or a PRL update is done.. Airplane mode won't even force that. Probably explains what happened.

And since I am on the Note II couldn't do a PRL update since the one that would come on blocks 800 anyway :)

Cheers.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

A PRL update would be of no consequence as neither 800 nor 1900 have priority over each other. Neither is "favored".

It's not that 800 is favored. They just had to pick one to scan first and for now 800 scans first. When you do a prl update it clears the cache file that remembers what tower and what frequency it was connected to last. 800 scans then 1900 will scan which ever one you connected to it will stay there until you lose the connection. If it can't find whatever frequency it was connected to then it will try the other.

It's not that 800 is favored. They just had to pick one to scan first and for now 800 scans first. When you do a prl update it clears the cache file that remembers what tower and what frequency it was connected to last. 800 scans then 1900 will scan which ever one you connected to it will stay there until you lose the connection. If it can't find whatever frequency it was connected to then it will try the other.

Correct. Couldn't have said better.

Just got off the call for Shentel's Q3 earnings and figured I would put an update on here.  I had to duck off at the end the call and was having difficulty finding the slides mentioned in the presentation, but below are my poor notes from the call:

• 41% of all data on their network is from LTE (all 1900)
  • 15% of all voice usage is on 800
  • They are aiming to launch 800 LTE in the first quarter of 2014 on their network and their entire network is ready once they receive the confirmation from Sprint for deployment.
  • They are aiming to start refarming more 1900 carriers in late 2014 as more customers migrate from 3G to 4G devices to accomodate the additional data demands at each tower.
  • They are seeing average throughput of 8-10 on the downlink on 1900 and 1-2 on the uplink for LTE

Implementation of Spark will require the renegotiation of their contract with Sprint as it only covers 800 and 1900 services currently.  The don't forecast additional expenditures for Spark in their markets until 2015.  They sounded optimistic about Sprint allowing them access to deploy 2.5 through their market.  It is interesting that Clearwire was/is in the process of deploying 2.5 in the Harrisburg/Hershey and York markets which fall under Shentel's umbrella.  Given Shentel's speed for deploying NV I would think that once the agreement is made the deployment would progress very quickly.

Overall they had a good quarter.  They had net subscriber adds in pre-paid and post.

• Like 3

Just got off the call for Shentel's Q3 earnings and figured I would put an update on here.  I had to duck off at the end the call and was having difficulty finding the slides mentioned in the presentation, but below are my poor notes from the call:

• 41% of all data on their network is from LTE (all 1900)
  • 15% of all voice usage is on 800
  • They are aiming to launch 800 LTE in the first quarter of 2014 on their network and their entire network is ready once they receive the confirmation from Sprint for deployment.
  • They are aiming to start refarming more 1900 carriers in late 2014 as more customers migrate from 3G to 4G devices to accomodate the additional data demands at each tower.
  • They are seeing average throughput of 8-10 on the downlink on 1900 and 1-2 on the uplink for LTE

Implementation of Spark will require the renegotiation of their contract with Sprint as it only covers 800 and 1900 services currently.  The don't forecast additional expenditures for Spark in their markets until 2015.  They sounded optimistic about Sprint allowing them access to deploy 2.5 through their market.  It is interesting that Clearwire was/is in the process of deploying 2.5 in the Harrisburg/Hershey and York markets which fall under Shentel's umbrella.  Given Shentel's speed for deploying NV I would think that once the agreement is made the deployment would progress very quickly.

Overall they had a good quarter.  They had net subscriber adds in pre-paid and post.

I wasn't sure if they would deploy LTE 800 here so thanks for clarifying that. The coverage in rural areas where I live should greatly improve. Hopefully the contract will be amended to allow for 2.5. The speeds will be impressive. Thanks a lot for posting it. 

Now if only Shentel would upgrade their home county of Shenandoah with something more than dsl and I'd be impressed, especially considering the crazy prices we pay for the service. We have no other wired internet options here, unfortunately. 

Just an FYI regarding 800 LTE deployment, but Sprint will not be deploying it on all towers due to it's propagation characteristics, but in the end 800 LTE deployment should makes things even better. :)

I believe it has been noted elsewhere but 800 LTE will be on 80% of towers.  In Shente's case the hardware/radios/etc. have all been deployed as they are almost done with their build so it's basically a matter of Sprint's OK for activation is my understanding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, are we able to confirm that Shentel has the eCSFB Gap Issue which is stopping the LG G2 & Nexus 5 from using LTE, or is this an intermittent issue that might only effect certain towers since I haven't been able to use LTE anywhere in Harrisburg/York since getting the Nexus 5.

If Shentel territory is effected by the eCSFB Gap Issue would there be any way to know a timeframe for this to be resolved?

So, are we able to confirm that Shentel has the eCSFB Gap Issue which is stopping the LG G2 & Nexus 5 from using LTE, or is this an intermittent issue that might only effect certain towers since I haven't been able to use LTE anywhere in Harrisburg/York since getting the Nexus 5.

If Shentel territory is effected by the eCSFB Gap Issue would there be any way to know a timeframe for this to be resolved?

Seeing as almost all of Shentel is upgraded on the 3G side, I don't think eCSFB should be an issue in their territories.

Seeing as almost all of Shentel is upgraded on the 3G side, I don't think eCSFB should be an issue in their territories.

Something is an issue, must be software, I haven't had 4G unless forced since I got my Nexus.

I was just in State College this morning, it's a shame they don't even have 4G there yet.

I saw 4G pop up once or twice in my State College travels last weekend but I didn't get much of a chance to see how the N5 was acting there since that was technically Sprint territory (I beileve) rather than Shentel. If I had time to waste I'd drive to Baltimore tonight before swapping my phone but I'm just going to swap the N5 for the Moto X and once I hear that the issue has been resolved I'll grab a new N5 from the Play Store.

Thanks for the info everyone.. and I'll be following this thread again!

I was just in State College this morning, it's a shame they don't even have 4G there yet.

I saw 4G pop up once or twice in my State College travels last weekend but I didn't get much of a chance to see how the N5 was acting there since that was technically Sprint territory (I beileve) rather than Shentel. If I had time to waste I'd drive to Baltimore tonight before swapping my phone but I'm just going to swap the N5 for the Moto X and once I hear that the issue has been resolved I'll grab a new N5 from the Play Store.

Thanks for the info everyone.. and I'll be following this thread again!

State College falls under Sprint's Western Pennsylvania Market. Shentel's market gets close to State College, I would suspect that is where you saw 4G. If you saw any in State College that would be exciting news. The entire Western PA market upgrade was done initally with GMOs. While it will eventually will see 4G, it maybe one of the last markets too... 

Shentel announced today that it is complete with its Network Vision upgrade making it the first market to do so. They could easily pick up customers from AT&T and Verizon in these markets.

A Sprint (Shentel) rep just told me that today when I was in my local Sprint store. They received an email today stating exactly what you just said.

Now hopefully they'll start working on 800 LTE and 2600 LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

A Sprint (Shentel) rep just told me that today when I was in my local Sprint store. They received an email today stating exactly what you just said.

Now hopefully they'll start working on 800 LTE and 2600 LTE.

Technically Shentel doesn't have an existing agreement to deploy 2.5 in their service area, yet. I don't foresee it not being amended to include 2.5 but for the time being they can only manage 1900 and 800 services. Also, I believe the only work they need to do for 800 LTE is more technical in nature since the hardware has already been deployed.

Technically Shentel doesn't have an existing agreement to deploy 2.5 in their service area, yet. I don't foresee it not being amended to include 2.5 but for the time being they can only manage 1900 and 800 services. Also, I believe the only work they need to do for 800 LTE is more technical in nature since the hardware has already been deployed.

Yeah, I remember reading that in their last quarterly report. They made it sound like it wouldn't be hard to obtain the change in the agreement with Sprint.

If anybody in the Shentel market has noticed, the Sprint stores have signs up for their black Friday promotion which gives you 2 months free. I just went on a website they have for the promotion and if you read the fine print, the 2 months free also applies to upgrades. See the site below. It might be time to use the upgrade if you have one. I, unfortunately, don't have an upgrade until July.

http://unlimityourdata.com