Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

Alright so I have been able to get LTE in a few more areas that I haven't been able to before. I now get LTE outside of my workplace and occasionally indoors at work in New Oxford, Pa (which is surprising cuz I barely get 3G in that dungeon).

I've also been mapping around Hokes Mill Road and West King Street in York, PA which on Sensorly the dark purple near that area lead me to believe that the tower on 150 South Seward street is broadcasting LTE. Most importantly I get LTE everywhere in my home where a few days ago I used to drop down to 3G right when pulling up in front of my house, so I am also thinking that the tower on 525 Aqua Court is also broadcasting LTE.

Alright so I have been able to get LTE in a few more areas that I haven't been able to before. I now get LTE outside of my workplace and occasionally indoors at work in New Oxford, Pa (which is surprising cuz I barely get 3G in that dungeon).

I've also been mapping around Hokes Mill Road and West King Street in York, PA which on Sensorly the dark purple near that area lead me to believe that the tower on 150 South Seward street is broadcasting LTE. Most importantly I get LTE everywhere in my home where a few days ago I used to drop down to 3G right when pulling up in front of my house, so I am also thinking that the tower on 525 Aqua Court is also broadcasting LTE.

I've found mapping with my EVO LTE to be pointless. My wife's S3 holds a signal so much better.

I've found mapping with my EVO LTE to be pointless. My wife's S3 holds a signal so much better.

Indeed. Hopefully the HTC One is much better. Mine should be arriving sometime early next week hopefully.

I'll have to say I'm pretty impressed by the upgrades that were done in the York Area. I live in Red Lion and drive all sorts of routes to work in Strinestown,PA and never lose LTE signal...it used to come and go a few months ago...but now holds solid. Data speeds are not as good as Verizon's LTE on my work phone but are much much better than they used to be around here.

I'll have to say I'm pretty impressed by the upgrades that were done in the York Area. I live in Red Lion and drive all sorts of routes to work in Strinestown,PA and never lose LTE signal...it used to come and go a few months ago...but now holds solid. Data speeds are not as good as Verizon's LTE on my work phone but are much much better than they used to be around here.

Yep, I do not live in York, but I do find myself in York occasionally. Every time I go there, I have more LTE than I did last trip. Shentel is making progress for sure. We need a "local guy or gal" to run around all over the area with Sensorly running. I see many of the main routes are mapped, but it seems that much more area could be mapped. I ran Sensorly for about 6 hours today, mostly in York.

I was not there to try and map the city so I traveled the routes that allowed me to get a job done for me.

Sensorly is not working well. It can take 36 hours or more to see any results of your mapping and even then, you might have to check several zoom levels before you see your work. It usually updates all levels eventually, but it sure does take a long time. I hope Sensorly can get this issue fixed.

I also ran route 30. York to Chambersburg. Also ran into Hanover (route 116 and route 94 from Route 30). Getting better everywhere but it will take some time to show up on Sensorly.

I run Sensorly everywhere I drive...so a lot of the mapping is me most likely. I sometimes try to take different routes to cover roads I have not hit yet.

Then I would say your are a very good guy. I do the same thing in my home territory. York is not easy for me. I get there about one time a month and have a job to do when I am there. Just not a place I can really spend time to map totally.

Keep up your good work.

I've been doing a lot of mapping in downtown and West York. I've done most of the mapping in the inner city from W Market Street and Hokes Mill Road all the way to Rathton Road and South Queen Street.

I've also done the mapping on the stretch of Loucks Mill Road from Route 30 to George Street and the piece of Sherman Street from 30 to Philadelphia Street.

I've noticed that the tower near Country Club Road is broadcasting LTE so I've been trying to map all the areas around York College and trying to see how far east I can go before losing LTE. I'll see if I can go a little further east and slightly more North near Penn State York.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else been having issues in the York area with dropping into Roaming...or not having LTE where you have before? Passing threw Emigsville I switch to 3G, also the cell tower in Yoe by my house has been dropping to 3G/Roaming the past few days.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I found some 800!¡!¡

In northern Winchester. I spent two hours in the spot I picked it up yesterday but never connected. Drive threw there today and it connects.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1369504286400.jpg

• Like 1

From what I could tell it was SH00VA021 and it held on for 4 miles out 522. If I remember correctly, that site was one of the first around here to go live.

I found some 800!¡!¡

In northern Winchester. I spent two hours in the spot I picked it up yesterday but never connected. Drive threw there today and it connects.

YEA.   One problem though.  I was determined to find 800 before anybody else and be the first to post it here.

I am further north that you are along I-81. I have not seen 800 yet anywhere in Shentel territory.

Good find. I have quite a few sites that are capable of 800 but only broadcasting 1900. Maybe the 800 is soon going to be activated.  It probably is a good idea to start out slowly with the 800 and make sure there is no hidden issue.

• Like 1

You may need to get a prl that scans 800 first. I think it was just pure luck that I connected on Saturday. I switched to a 800 first prl and I stay connected from Winchester to Front Royal no problem.

Robert, it looks like all the but the GMOs have 800 active around here. I drove around to all of them in Winchester, Front Royal, Middletown, and Stephens City with all of them giving around -50 at the site.

You may need to get a prl that scans 800 first. I think it was just pure luck that I connected on Saturday. I switched to a 800 first prl and I stay connected from Winchester to Front Royal no problem.

Robert, it looks like all the but the GMOs have 800 active around here. I drove around to all of them in Winchester, Front Royal, Middletown, and Stephens City with all of them giving around -50 at the site.

I THINK I have a PRL that should see this 800 if Shentel has it turned on.  I have 25004 and it does list the proper SID & band.  And this entry is first in the PRL.

I just took a trip into the "boonies" and watched my 1900 fade down below a level that caused me to drop the signal.

I was in debug mode and could see the phone scanning for a useable signal.   It scanned for band 10, SID 476 but only hesitated and moved on. Did the same thing with some roaming SIDS and was not able to hold them most of the time but did occasionally on a very weak roaming signal.

I am in Pennsylvania in Shentel territory just north of the Maryland border.  I see no 800 yet with the normal 25004 SID.

What PRL was used that has a higher priority for the 800?  25004 looks good to me.

I am in GEO 11, the Washington/Baltimore SID group.  Normal SID for 1X - 4195. and YES, I toggled airplane mode too.

You can try one from http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3059-800smr-testing-prl-for-lte-devices (sponsors only) or http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2677-anyone-interested-in-a-prl-with-800smr-and-lte/ (permire sponsors only).

I was on 54014 when I connected the first time but like I said, I think it was just sheer luck that it connected then.

• 2 weeks later...

Found More Active Shentel 800

Location Waynesboro, Pa City Water Tank on N Broad St.

800 is active but I could not access it UNTIL I took my Galaxy S3 into the deepest corner of my basement, placed the phone in a fireproof safe and closed the lid. When I opened the lid, I had 800 meg.

The upgraded sites made my 1900 very good and it is almost impossible to deliberately lose the 1900.

Using standard PRL 25014

Now the STRANGE part ---  Somebody explain this issue below ---

I can toggle "airplane mode" and the 800 comes up with no issues every time. I can even totally power down the Galaxy S3, then turn it on and have 800 meg.

Anybody have any idea if the phone or account might have to shake hands with the 800 meg and get registered somehow before the 800 seems to be easily accessible?

I SUSPECT there might be quite a few sites nearby that I was not able to access but might work for me now. I just have to check them out.

Screen-shot attached

Screenshot-June 4.jpg

Found More Active Shentel 800

Location Waynesboro, Pa City Water Tank on N Broad St.

800 is active but I could not access it UNTIL I took my Galaxy S3 into the deepest corner of my basement, placed the phone in a fireproof safe and closed the lid. When I opened the lid, I had 800 meg.

The upgraded sites made my 1900 very good and it is almost impossible to deliberately lose the 1900.

Using standard PRL 25014

Now the STRANGE part ---  Somebody explain this issue below ---

I can toggle "airplane mode" and the 800 comes up with no issues every time. I can even totally power down the Galaxy S3, then turn it on and have 800 meg.

Anybody have any idea if the phone or account might have to shake hands with the 800 meg and get registered somehow before the 800 seems to be easily accessible?

I SUSPECT there might be quite a few sites nearby that I was not able to access but might work for me now. I just have to check them out.

Screen-shot attached

attachicon.gifScreenshot-June 4.jpg

A new PRL 25015 was released and when I updated my wife's GS3 to this, we're picking up 800mhz in Harrisburg, PA. Interesting tidbit is my EVOLTE will not even though it's on the same PRL.

A new PRL 25015 was released and when I updated my wife's GS3 to this, we're picking up 800mhz in Harrisburg, PA. Interesting tidbit is my EVOLTE will not even though it's on the same PRL.

I think you may be correct in assuming that PRL 25015 gave you 800 meg. I have really been messing with this today.

With PRL 25014, I COULD get some 800 meg if I worked at getting into spot where the 1900 would drop.I could keep the 800 meg if I stayed in an area with 800 meg. If I ventured out of 800 coverage, I would eventually find 1900 by default and had trouble getting 800 back. It seemed like 1900 was "preferred" and you only got 800 if necessary, but once you had 800, you could keep it.

After reading your comment about installing PRL 25015 and then getting 800 meg, I decided I just had to try it. I installed 25015 and after testing for a short time, it looks like the 800 meg is much more easy to use. It may actually be the "default" and the preferred frequency. I will try to prove it in the next day or too.

My 800 signal level is about 10-12 DB better than my 1900 signal at a distance of 3 miles from the cell site.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Harrisburg Pa Shentel market and having some issues with the 800mhz. I updated to prl 25015 about a week ago and started noticing my phone picking up 800. The issue is whenever my phone is connected to 800 my txt msgs will fail and voice calls can't be made. When it would randomly switch back to 1X all services were restored. This is happening specifically in the Middletown, PA at the Harrisburg Int'l Airport site but yesterday my phone stayed on 800 all the way through Hbg with disabled voice/txt. Thinking there may be something wrong with prl 25015 because I decided to update my prl again and now I have Prl 2000 and my phone hasn't looked for 800 so far today. Maybe the towers are ready to broadcast 800 but shentel hasn't flipped the switch and I got ahold of the 25015 PRL a little early. Anyway, I'm excited for the new frequency, just wanted to share my experiences with it so far.

I live in the Harrisburg Pa Shentel market and having some issues with the 800mhz. I updated to prl 25015 about a week ago and started noticing my phone picking up 800. The issue is whenever my phone is connected to 800 my txt msgs will fail and voice calls can't be made. When it would randomly switch back to 1X all services were restored. This is happening specifically in the Middletown, PA at the Harrisburg Int'l Airport site but yesterday my phone stayed on 800 all the way through Hbg with disabled voice/txt. Thinking there may be something wrong with prl 25015 because I decided to update my prl again and now I have Prl 2000 and my phone hasn't looked for 800 so far today. Maybe the towers are ready to broadcast 800 but shentel hasn't flipped the switch and I got ahold of the 25015 PRL a little early. Anyway, I'm excited for the new frequency, just wanted to share my experiences with it so far.

Nothing wrong with PRL 25015 for me. I am in Shentel territory with a Galaxy S-3. It stays on 800 and works fine for voice and text.

I am using multiple Shentel sites but not the same ones you are using.  It might be possible that the Note II may have issues with 800.

My S3 is fine with 800 and Shentel sites.  Maybe your individual Note 2 is bad on 800 or maybe they all are.  If they all are bad, maybe Sprint issued a new PRL to do an emergency fix and keep the Note 2 off 800.

My S3 has not received any PRL update and if I have anything to say about it, it will stay at 25015.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it's working well for you. Since you're using a different phone on CDMA 800 with success, I am beginning to think it's isolated to the Note 2 or maybe just the Hbg/Middletown area. Along with the 800 issue, when Lte was originally turned on here it worked very well but recently it has began to randomly disconnect. My coworkers are experiencing the same data issues. I was hoping it was part of a temporary site upgrade for 800 but it's been happening for about a month. I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe the site is still being worked on. Thanks for your info.

• 3 weeks later...