Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

40 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Try contacting them through the regular channels first and let me know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I tried for a second unit for my 60,000 Square Ft. office and they were not able to add a second unit to my account.  Perhaps they want to limit distribution for now until production ramps up.

I got my MB a couple of months ago after being told my location qualified. The LTE radio was supposed to have been activated by then. I was even promised by someone from the Sprint executive offices that LTE would be available. To date LTE still isn't here so the MB is still in the box. 

It took me weeks to get an answer from Sprint about LTE in my area. The last call actually had me believing Sprint really can tell the truth. I was wrong and very disappointed.  

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, shaferz said:

Mine did the same thing and Sprint did the same... they replaced the entire unit.  However, I actually found that the power supply itself may not have died.  When my replacement MB came, I tried plugging the new power supply into the old MB, and it never did come up... even after being connected to power for a solid 2 hours.  Maybe the power supply went out and also killed the original MB?  

Odd stuff.  Good luck with the replacement!

I somehow got the device to take power, but now it won't connect to any LTE what so ever. New box should be here I'm guessing Tuesday.

Never mind, I found out they disabled it and already have the replacement listed under the account. (checked the MACID to confirm)

9 minutes ago, Jesito473 said:

Does anyone know where to call to get a return kit for an MB? Of course if anyone has returned one lol.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The Magic Box  technical support line 844-463-3194.

• Like 1

Anyone try strapping one of these things to a drone like Guenther did? I have a RC chopper I was thinking of modding out, that would be a sweet addition for sure. Hard to get above these Carolina pines for signal, but that sure could help! There is a lot of metal you can take off these things for weight reduction. 

It is a new awesome design, why wouldn't you try to find fun new uses for it that serve your specific need or one the company has not identified, or even ways to improve on the work they have done?

Because it does it belong to us to modify to our liking in addition to being a licensed transmitter which was designed and tested for a specific purpose.

Airspan would be the ones doing all the crazy stuff (integrated lte relay small cells -- they label them magic boxes regardless if it's an Airunity ).

2 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Because it does it belong to us to modify to our liking in addition to being a licensed transmitter which was designed and tested for a specific purpose.

So don't post results? I am putting in an aluminum rotor motor to save weight here. This could be pretty nifty.

So don't post results? I am putting in an aluminum rotor motor to save weight here. This could be pretty nifty.
By all means feel free. You're just running a risk of getting your sprint lines terminated in addition to being charged a fee for tampering with the equipment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

By all means feel free. You're just running a risk of getting your sprint lines terminated in addition to being charged a fee for tampering with the equipment.

For sure sir. I just want to stay in the rulez here. I am not being facetious, just aware. I prepay 139 a month now so I have no surprises on my end. I enjoy the equipment, kept all antennae 18cm away from the transmitter in my design and was gonna put it in a wooden box w some 1.9 yagi's to get better gain up top. If I can make it fly it is doing something the rest of us wish we could do.

I'll keep it to premiere threads or can link offsite if best.

It is just a warning as we do not want to encourage people to tamper with these things.

We don't want to give sprint and airspan a reason to make the next MB revisions have an anti tampering setup like that of tmobile which causes the unit to kill itself if opened up.

As a FYI. They didn't literally strap a magic box to a drone. It's a specialized airspan setup.

• Like 1

-Fair and just
-Yeah that stinks, I am laymen and like solutions but people have legal reason to make a fuss.
=Yeah I figured G dude had this in a lab and white coats were helicoptered in to make it into a sexy video. My lingual is functional to our awesome smart user base that will get signal where it needs it in action, but fun for those of us who have basic ideas of how a flying internet remote helichoptermatron just might work.

• Like 1

My Magic Box disconnects from Band 41 on football game days because of congestion and switches over to Band 25. I figured because it maintains an active data connection, it wouldn't switch back to Band 41 on its own so I typically restart my Magic box for it to reconnect to Band 41 immediately. Last Friday it disconnected from Band 41 because of the FSU game and I decided to see what the Magic Box would do if it was left alone and it switched back to Band 41 on its own yesterday night. 

I don't know why it took so long or what caused it to switch, but it's pretty cool that it'll just pick the best network available.

• Like 2

Yeah I've noticed my MB will switch between B41 carriers as PCC, which it didn't used to do. I was told if it goes to B25 that it will eventually make it back to B41.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Are you able to determine which band 25 channel you connect to? Your area has 10MHz and 2 channels. Neat-0 if you connect to A-F, it is rated on the ninja and magic box to rx.

t5SdySw.jpgD9ksEe9.jpg

Whoops, I just realized you meant for my Magic Box. But I still think this should be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

[PSA] "GEN 3" Magic Boxes Incoming

Will be called ASPANMBGN2 or GEN2. Really Generation 3 if one goes by chronological order of ASP540 GEN1, ASP 545 GEN2. 

Biggest change is exterior looks,  display (LCD), and external portable battery pack like the GEN1 MB 540. 

• Like 8

Any Idea why the change? It sounds like it's mostly cosmetics? so Perhaps the marketing department is trying to make them more appealing to the masses so they can get more of them out and installed in places where they'll be useful..

I actually connected to one recently @ the Sprint Store in Midvale, UT

I've had my MB at the house for month now. It would never connect to the tower. After many tries I gave up and just let it sit in the corner plugged in. Just yesterday I came home and have a very strong B41 signal. It's from the MB. It connected.
What's weird is the nearest tower is only B25. Two other towers in the next town has B41 which is almost 7 or 8 miles away.
How can I check to see which tower it's locked on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk