Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

4 hours ago, Nickmb said:

Hi  Can anybody tell me if these seem like reasonable numbers with the new magic Box. When it 1st boots up in only finds one bar

The problem is I do not know if that 1 bar is from band 41 or banned 25 as the magic Box can use either  donor ban.

Anyways before the magic Box I was getting from 7 to 12 megabits download and now I'm getting 10 does that seem reasonable The band 41 tower is exactly one mile from my house. But using LTE discovery app when the magic Box is not active I cannot see band 41 whatsoever only ban 25. Any help appreciated.

Resized_20171217_131523_2763.jpg

Before connecting the MB, verify the PCI and band to see if it matches the ID the MB is connected to. If it is B25, you probably won't see much speed improvements since it is -113 RSRP from your screenshot. 

15 hours ago, bucdenny said:

Before connecting the MB, verify the PCI and band to see if it matches the ID the MB is connected to. If it is B25, you probably won't see much speed improvements since it is -113 RSRP from your screenshot. 

Thanks for reply

I went weeks and weeks without a problem of my phone connecting to the mb and now for the past week or so, it has refused to connect.  :(

Wifes phone (same model as mine... 256gb iPhone 10), on the other hand, connects reliably.  Grrrrrr

Hey you guys I have a question. I am try to attach an external antenna to the magic Box device. After taking the cover off I notice there were 2 major and antennas one  back facing out the window and 1 facing Inside. My question is the antenna facing out towards the cell tower to establish a relay connection has 5 wires going in to the central tx.rx  unit.  One wire is labeled antenna. The other 4 wires are labeled ABC and D.  Are the 4 wires label ABC and D related to 4 by 4 mimo. If so would even make sense connecting all these to a single external antenna?  Or what I in reality have to attach four external antennas to each of the 4 wires.  Any help on this matter is greatly appreciate.

On 12/21/2017 at 2:05 PM, Nickmb said:

Hey you guys I have a question. I am try to attach an external antenna to the magic Box device. After taking the cover off I notice there were 2 major and antennas one  back facing out the window and 1 facing Inside. My question is the antenna facing out towards the cell tower to establish a relay connection has 5 wires going in to the central tx.rx  unit.  One wire is labeled antenna. The other 4 wires are labeled ABC and D.  Are the 4 wires label ABC and D related to 4 by 4 mimo. If so would even make sense connecting all these to a single external antenna?  Or what I in reality have to attach four external antennas to each of the 4 wires.  Any help on this matter is greatly appreciate.

pics please

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, shaferz said:

Confused.  Here is what mine shows.  :dunno:

SW Ver: 15.15.10.141

Update - 

Sometime over the past day or two, my magic box updated to:

SW Ver: 15.15.10.141

... which appears to be back to the version where the home screen displays LTE, Sprint, and GPS Icons in the top right hand corner.  Interestingly, over the past day or two, my phone seems to prefer the Magic Box again.  Woohoo!!

• Like 2

On 10/5/2017 at 8:04 PM, belusnecropolis said:

Yes, that is the LTE radio. The FCC docs don't have any components on the boards so I wondered what it looked like in there all put together, so I took it apart.

Hey I appreciate you go to the effort to take their picture I have been trying to track that device down to figure out what 4 wires are about. Do you know what the device is called so I can search it on the Web to find out more information about it.  If the wires are for antennas  than I can connect external antennas to the device through those wires.  Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

3 hours ago, Nickmb said:

Hey I appreciate you go to the effort to take their picture I have been trying to track that device down to figure out what 4 wires are about. Do you know what the device is called so I can search it on the Web to find out more information about it.  If the wires are for antennas  than I can connect external antennas to the device through those wires.  Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

I'll put something together for you later or tomorrow to try to help explain. 

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

I'll put something together for you later or tomorrow to try to help explain. 

I really appreciate it.  Like I mentioned in my earlier post I did something similar to this to receive Wi-Fi over 5 miles. I certainly do not claim to be an expert, But I am thinking LTE cellular is going to be a little more difficult.

43 minutes ago, Nickmb said:

I really appreciate it.  Like I mentioned in my earlier post I did something similar to this to receive Wi-Fi over 5 miles. I certainly do not claim to be an expert, But I am thinking LTE cellular is going to be a little more difficult.

Yeah I generally have no idea what I am doing when I get into this stuff. I am good at research so that makes it a bit easier. There are a few things you have to pay attention to with licensed spectrum and antennae but it is similar in executing a result.

5 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Yeah I generally have no idea what I am doing when I get into this stuff. I am good at research so that makes it a bit easier. There are a few things you have to pay attention to with licensed spectrum and antennae but it is similar in executing a result.

Thanks wife and i going to c star wars be back here later tonite have a good one

On 12/21/2017 at 2:05 PM, Nickmb said:

A note.  A disclaimer if you will...

We will allow this post to stay here.  But know that taking apart leased/lent equipment is likely a violation of your agreement, and not advisable.  We do not endorse/encourage it.  You will likely be liable for damaged and even possibly having your account canceled should Sprint discover it.  

We have moved this to the Magic Box thread.

Robert

• Like 1

Got another call asking if I would return the box. It got an update over the past day or two to .141. stuck on "Configuring LTE Service" though :(

Apparently this area doesn't have a dedicated B41 uplink carrier for these, and there's no ETA on when we'll get one, so it'll probably get boxed up tomorrow :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, Nickmb said:

Hi  Can anybody tell me if these seem like reasonable numbers with the new magic Box. When it 1st boots up in only finds one bar

The problem is I do not know if that 1 bar is from band 41 or banned 25 as the magic Box can use either  donor ban.

Anyways before the magic Box I was getting from 7 to 12 megabits download and now I'm getting 10 does that seem reasonable The band 41 tower is exactly one mile from my house. But using LTE discovery app when the magic Box is not active I cannot see band 41 whatsoever only ban 25. Any help appreciated.

Your MB is connected to Band 41. 10 Mbps download sounds about right with that CINR and RSRP it is displaying. You're probably sitting between cells in a null area for B41.

The B25 carrier is probably a lot cleaner and is not congested (which is why you get 7-12 Mbps).

And before you ask, NO...there is no way to force the MB to choose B25 as the donor band over B41. Only way to do that is to get creative.

Got my magic box today. I have tried many locations but it will not complete setup. It usually detects the network but then says something to the effect of failed to complete setup at this location. I have placed it outside even where my phone a S7 reports band 41 signal at -99 RSRP and still no luck. Would it help if i take the magic box closer to the tower and try again so it can at least update firmware? Oh and this market does have the high/low spectrum split needed for b41 magic box operations.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, superbluepsd said:

Got my magic box today. I have tried many locations but it will not complete setup. It usually detects the network but then says something to the effect of failed to complete setup at this location. I have placed it outside even where my phone a S7 reports band 41 signal at -99 RSRP and still no luck. Would it help if i take the magic box closer to the tower and try again so it can at least update firmware? Oh and this market does have the high/low spectrum split needed for b41 magic box operations.

Contact the MB support line. Could be the Donor tower needs a software toggle to support MBs.

Contact the MB support line. Could be the Donor tower needs a software toggle to support MBs.
Thanks. I took it close to a b41 macro using the battery and it got to the excellent signal screen so i pushed continue setup and it wants to be plugged in to continue so will have to try it at home again plugged in.