Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

• 2 weeks later...

back in july i requested one of these.  at the time i got an email with " Please visit sprint.com/magicboxupdates for the latest status on Magic Box eligibility and shipments. "   but when i click on the link it just has some generic info about the magic box.  is there some way to check the request status online? 

18 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Is that an internal magic box pic? 

Yes, that is the LTE radio. The FCC docs don't have any components on the boards so I wondered what it looked like in there all put together, so I took it apart.

Also something I am curious about, The Ninja has what looks to be 2 GPS u.fl and two LTE ports. I have only seen PCIe chips with one GPS port. Is that just a newer, better GPS radio than the unit I am using, which has one or is it possibly because of the LTE relay capabilities? They both plug into the Ninja.

Maybe Mr Tim or AJ could help us out with that one.

13 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Also something I am curious about, The Ninja has what looks to be 2 GPS u.fl and two LTE ports. I have only seen PCIe chips with one GPS port. Is that just a newer, better GPS radio than the unit I am using, which has one or is it possibly because of the LTE relay capabilities? They both plug into the Ninja.

Maybe Mr Tim or AJ could help us out with that one.

The A545 unit is a 4 port radio feeding two alphawireless 2T2R antennas. 

Highly recommend you do not modify it without know what's what.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2017 at 5:41 PM, greenbastard said:

Especially since it's not his property. I'm sure Sprint doesn't appreciate this.

And if they find out they will gladly charge him for the device. And he will more than likely be 100% okay with paying the fee because he knew it going in.

-Anthony

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Incoming ASP544. Identical functionality to 545 except a different (inferior) WIFi module. 

EnEzDdG.png

Isn't that just used for local diagnostics?

I actually saw the SSID on my magic box... Something made it boot loop and it wouldn't stop. Still unsure why, but after unplug for about thirty and plug back in, it decided to work properly again. But I saw the AU-545 ssid briefly. Came close to calling but that's when it began working again. Hasn't happened again yet... Is there something with these doing that?

Cant remember if I read it here or on reddit, but someone mentioned that the wifi portion of it could be activated remotely via Sprint.  I'm still not quite sure I understand the need to have a wifi module on these things.  :shrug:  I guess maybe if the unit is failing to connect to relay - then at least Sprint has some way to get 'into' the unit.  Seems like it would have benefited them more to simply plop an ethernet jack that would allow direct access to the unit?  I dunno.  My head is all over the place this morning.  :blink:

1 hour ago, shaferz said:

Cant remember if I read it here or on reddit, but someone mentioned that the wifi portion of it could be activated remotely via Sprint.  I'm still not quite sure I understand the need to have a wifi module on these things.  :shrug:  I guess maybe if the unit is failing to connect to relay - then at least Sprint has some way to get 'into' the unit.  Seems like it would have benefited them more to simply plop an ethernet jack that would allow direct access to the unit?  I dunno.  My head is all over the place this morning.  :blink:

I do not believe the wifi portion would be for backhaul. How about the ability to broadcast wifi and use as hotspot?

ok, this is strange. i went to the magic box landing page, and re-filled the address to see if i was available to get one. it came back negative! and there was a button you could click as to why, but all it did was lead back to the original page :(

so this is very confusing to me b/c months ago i was able to sign up for one at the same address... but i wonder now if this means my request was cancelled for some reason.  As far as I know, my order status has always been unknown to me (never got a declined or cancelled message from them)

https://imgur.com/a/9AA85

It has an RJ45 input on the back of the eNb board, say if they need to dial in. The WiFi may just be for the same thing, but easier to access.
The RJ45 is hardware disabled to prevent unauthorized tampering / access.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

you called or someone called you?  I'm trying to figure out the status of my order i put in a few months ago.

What area do you reside in that shows as unavailable now?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, happyGuy said:

you called or someone called you?  I'm trying to figure out the status of my order i put in a few months ago.

I called a few days ago to put in order. Had told them LTE available only outdoors and near windows.  2 days later it showed up from UPS.

866-556-7310

• Like 2