T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

I think this entire thing is ludacris. AT&T bought DirectTV because it was a direct competitor with their Uverse service. AT&T just happens to also have AT&T mobility. It doesn't mean TV services and cellular services are going to start pairing off, or that they HAVE to pair off. It's not even a trend.

Agreed on that front. I also feel like a lot of tech journalism/news publication sites have been trying really hard to convince everyone that it's a trend. Verizon is selling off a good chunk of their TV business so I'm trying to figure out why they think that TV and Cellular are converging.

• Like 3

It's not that they are converging. It's just that increasing amounts of video are OTT. That's why Verizon launched their service, that's why Dish launched their service. If increasing amounts of OTT video is getting watched on tablets and phones then it makes sense to own or be a partner in a wireless network. That's why a Cable/Sprint tie up makes sense. Cable presumably has the licenses/content and Sprint has the network or will have it.

Ive hit backspace and deleted my entire post about 5 times so far, so I'll make it short.

AT&T Mobility is as much a part of AT&T Inc as Cricket. If the DirectTV purchase goes through, it would likely remain a subsidiary of AT&T Inc., in which case, there would STILL not be a single case of a wireless carrier merging with a broadcast provider.

If anything happens between Dish and T-Mobile, it would likely be exactly the same, where Dish would buy T-Mobile, operate it separate as a wholly owned subsidiary, and lease or sell their spectrum to T-Mobile for nearly nothing.

That being said, Dish-Mobile still wouldn't come close to the capacity and available spectrum Sprint has to work with, and they would have a half dozen bands to deal with. Sprint owns spectrum that was going to be used for wireless last-mile home internet, it's a big'n chunk o' spectrm.

• Like 5

It's not that they are converging. It's just that increasing amounts of video are OTT. That's why Verizon launched their service, that's why Dish launched their service. If increasing amounts of OTT video is getting watched on tablets and phones then it makes sense to own or be a partner in a wireless network. That's why a Cable/Sprint tie up makes sense. Cable presumably has the licenses/content and Sprint has the network or will have it.

Partnership =/= merger. Sprint could partner with whoever they want, and it would actually probably be the best wireless carrier to partner with considering their capacity, but it doesn't mean they would merge with them. T-Mobile/Dish (or at least what people are speculating) would be a merger and/or acquisition, where one company buys the other. They can operate it separately (which would be best for T-Mobile, they have crazy brand equity) or roll it into the parent company.

Sprint isn't merging with anyone because they were JUST bought out by Softbank not too long ago. Softbank has proven time and again that they want to stick with Sprint until the war is over.

The thing about T-Mobile, is that their current parent company, Deutsche Telekom, bought them to resell them. They bought the smallest company in hopes that the 4 carriers would in some way merge, and they could get a premium price. Legere did exactly what he was supposed to; up the value of the company so it would be perceived as a threat, and Sprint tried to buy them out to silence them, and 3 carriers could set prices. T-Mobile was never meant to be a major player, they were and have been an asset to be acquired. The problem is that they're big enough now where the other 3 carriers can't legally acquire them without gaining an unfair advantage. 

T-Mobile is in financial trouble in the long-term. Softbank saved Sprint, now T-Mobile needs a wealthy parent to invest in them (spectrum auctions/acquisition, financing for buildout, partnerships, etc). It has nothing to do with cable companies or a trend of acquisitions, it's just a T-Mobile thing. They exist to be acquired, their parent bought them to sell them. When they finally DO get a parent with money or patience, they'll be good to go. It just so happens that the latest parent looking at them is a broadcast provider.

• Like 6

It looks to me that most likely there will be some kind of partnership between Comcast and Sprint, not Dish and Sprint, though Dish has worked with Sprint in the past. It isn't that Dish doesn't want to work with Sprint, just not in the full capacity they wanted with a full purchase. As Dish will get that full operation with T-Mobile, it just wouldn't give them much benefit to their goal to suddenly decide on a partnership instead.

Sprint's vast spectrum usage is much larger than what Dish really needs, and there is a considerable cost with that which makes the T-Mobile merger idea more appealing to Dish. Even though it may not be as much spectrum for their video plans, it gives them a better value in the overall benefits to ownership versus a partnership with another company they won't be able to control.

However Comcast being much larger than Dish, would be a great match for Sprint's spectrum, which for the sake of Sprint and Sprint's customers, hopefully all that will ever be between Sprint and Comcast, is a partnership, unless Softbank were to purchase Comcast. Otherwise, there is that possibility that if Comcast were to offer the right price for Sprint to Softbank, seeing as Masa Son didn't get T-Mobile, he may find such an offer too good to pass up, particularly since he's been preparing for retirement, he may have given up on his goal of having a strong cell phone empire in the U.S., though not that he doesn't still care about Sprint though. He's a businessman, Comcast is a strong business, he'll sell knowing that Sprint will still do well under Comcast, even though Comcast has crappy cs.

It looks to me that most likely there will be some kind of partnership between Comcast and Sprint, not Dish and Sprint, though Dish has worked with Sprint in the past. It isn't that Dish doesn't want to work with Sprint, just not in the full capacity they wanted with a full purchase. As Dish will get that full operation with T-Mobile, it just wouldn't give them much benefit to their goal to suddenly decide on a partnership instead.

Sprint's vast spectrum usage is much larger than what Dish really needs, and there is a considerable cost with that which makes the T-Mobile merger idea more appealing to Dish. Even though it may not be as much spectrum for their video plans, it gives them a better value in the overall benefits to ownership versus a partnership with another company they won't be able to control.

However Comcast being much larger than Dish, would be a great match for Sprint's spectrum, which for the sake of Sprint and Sprint's customers, hopefully all that will ever be between Sprint and Comcast, is a partnership, unless Softbank were to purchase Comcast. Otherwise, there is that possibility that if Comcast were to offer the right price for Sprint to Softbank, seeing as Masa Son didn't get T-Mobile, he may find such an offer too good to pass up, particularly since he's been preparing for retirement, he may have given up on his goal of having a strong cell phone empire in the U.S., though not that he doesn't still care about Sprint though. He's a businessman, Comcast is a strong business, he'll sell knowing that Sprint will still do well under Comcast, even though Comcast has crappy cs.

Sprint + Comcast will never happen. That's just ludicrous speculation. Masa Son isn't gonna sell Sprint just because he didn't get T-Mobile, and he remains committed to strengthening Sprint as evidenced by the recent meeting between him and Claure.
  • Like 9

Sprint + Comcast will never happen. That's just ludicrous speculation. Masa Son isn't gonna sell Sprint just because he didn't get T-Mobile, and he remains committed to strengthening Sprint as evidenced by the recent meeting between him and Claure.

I hope you are right.

I would have mentioned this earlier, but the post I made then was long enough. I don't understand why none of these online analysts haven't mentioned about Verizon's long standing relationship with Comcast. If Comcast were to partner/merge with a wireless company, Verizon would be a very good choice. I'm wondering if that may be why Verizon wants to sell FiOS, to pave the way for a deal with Comcast to some extent. Besides, Verizon having the best coverage matches up well with Comcast being the largest cable provider. Both have plenty to offer one another, and could offer an unlimited Comcast streaming offer that would be a big deal for them. I can't imagine it being very successful with Verizon's high data rates though.

I hope you are right.

I would have mentioned this earlier, but the post I made then was long enough. I don't understand why none of these online analysts haven't mentioned about Verizon's long standing relationship with Comcast. If Comcast were to partner/merge with a wireless company, Verizon would be a very good choice. I'm wondering if that may be why Verizon wants to sell FiOS, to pave the way for a deal with Comcast to some extent. Besides, Verizon having the best coverage matches up well with Comcast being the largest cable provider. Both have plenty to offer one another, and could offer an unlimited Comcast streaming offer that would be a big deal for them. I can't imagine it being very successful with Verizon's high data rates though.

I can't see a verizon/Comcast merger getting approval... The biggest wireless and the biggest cable co? That alone would cause anyone and everyone to merge..

The end would be 3 BROADBAND CARRIERS no more wireless or cable.. Just BROADBAND CARRIERS who cover both.. Wouldn't happen right away but definitely headed there.

• Like 1

I hope you are right.

They sold off their wireline assets to help pay for aws3 and to focus on their east coast FiOS network. Look at what their bid was in the auction and how much they sold off in wireline assets. I'll give you a hint, they are the same.

Why do you have such a hard on for Comcast merging with a wireless carrier? Verizon isn't ever going to offer anything remotely related to unlimited video streaming over their wireless network. AT&T is purchasing DirecTV because they are a competitor to their own TV service.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

They sold off their wireline assets to help pay for aws3 and to focus on their east coast FiOS network. Look at what their bid was in the auction and how much they sold off in wireline assets. I'll give you a hint, they are the same.

Why do you have such a hard on for Comcast merging with a wireless carrier? Verizon isn't ever going to offer anything remotely related to unlimited video streaming over their wireless network. AT&T is purchasing DirecTV because they are a competitor to their own TV service.

They kept their FIOS in the Notheast/NY. The most lucrative properties..
  • Like 2

I don't have any kind of serious interest in Comcast one way or another. However, Comcast is worth noting in this, because it is one of the largest video content distributors.

My focus is on all the reports lately of these video distribution companies wanting to have wireless service access for their content in more ways than just having a website and an app their customers can go to for accessing this content.

Furthermore, it is important to at least care a little bit about, because customers who want this have something to gain, while customers who don't have something to lose. Such as how in my view, Comcast is a bad thing for any carrier, though some may view it to be a good thing.

Also, as I've made quite clear here already, I view the Dish merger with T-Mobile as a good thing, but I do understand the possible drawbacks of it and why others are against it.

I think your being short sided about Dish. They need as much spectrum as possible for VOD.  Yes VOD isn't at a level yet but two years down the road they could be scraping the bucket again. I think the purchase of Tmo is stupid.

Hmm...This isn't good, here :

http://www.9news.com/story/money/business/2015/06/13/coats-vs-dish-network-medical-marijuana-workplace/71181254/

and

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2015/06/12/coats-v-dish-to-be-decided-monday.html

This does make me think twice about being so pro-Dish/T-Mobile merger, because I'd hate for employees to be discriminated because of needing medical marijuana.

Quick background on me. I am, and have been for seven years, taking Fentanyl patches 2-3 times per week, liquid Morphine, MS Contin, Vicodin, Vicoprofen, and Norco, due to my near chronic pain situation because of my severe neuropathy. I've been waiting for several years to be able to get Medical Marijuana, and can imagine how bad it would be to be fired from a job because of it. I can't work, but if I did, I'd certainly be angry if I were fired because of needing this medication.

It sucks, because T-Mobile really needs the spectrum, but to be run by a company that fires people over medication, is bad. Looks like now I won't be so interested in Dish trying to merge with T-Mobile.

^

Sounds like an irrelevant political issue, which S4GRU does not partake.

It could be viewed politically, but it also could be viewed as a health and employment issue involving a company which may very well merge with T-Mobile. This could affect T-Mobile employees. Also, if Dish Network chooses to do this to its employees, who knows what they might do to its customers.

Therefore, a worthwhile mention here on a T-Mobile based thread.

• Like 1

The more Dish talks about this merger, the worse off T-Mobile will be for the 600mhz auction. I hope they keep talking about it. 'Woes me' Legere says to the FCC, while a giant spectrum hog spills the beans about their possible merger *dramatic soap opera organ*. So much drama.

• Like 2

It could be viewed politically, but it also could be viewed as a health and employment issue involving a company which may very well merge with T-Mobile. This could affect T-Mobile employees. Also, if Dish Network chooses to do this to its employees, who knows what they might do to its customers.

Therefore, a worthwhile mention here on a T-Mobile based thread.

I brought up 2013 data about Dish being considered one of the meanest employers in America. Glassdoor has more than 2100 employee reviews about Dish http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/DISH-Reviews-E4501.htm

Ergen's management style is well documented. John Legere may continue for awhile as a face and a mouth for the public, but a buyout or a merger that leaves Ergen at the top will result in an Ergen agenda. The idea that Legere will save the day is wishful thinking by T-Mobile fans.

This doesn't necessarily doom the customer experience though. Dish ranks respectively with JD Power and Consumer Reports Television Service rankings, usually above the industry average, albeit a hated industry, much like wireless. The real question is whether or not the unlimited/ "everyone gets a prize " incentives will grow or diminish once the ship has Ergen's frugal fingers on the wheel.

• Like 1

I'll never pretend that I know more about employment and workplace issues than I do, especially when it comes to knowing which companies do well with this or not. I don't really take much interest in it, because it can bring up a lot of personal regret to my limitations I'm stuck with, unfortunately. Although sometimes knowing some of this can be helpful when discussing business issues, such as whether or not Dish ought to merge with T-Mobile.

I also don't want to say that a person's medical issues with a company, particularly speaking about the case I mentioned, alone should be a deciding factor in this. Business needs obviously will come first regardless of what Dish has done to this one employee. However, what it has done is to change my opinion of Dish and be a bit more open to hearing the drawbacks to the merger.

It also teaches me not to get too focused on the one good aspect of this which I've been raving about recently with that AWS-3 spectrum. Customer and employee care are more important, which now looking at it more objectively does have me wondering if it would be better now for T-Mobile to wait a bit, get more desperate for spectrum, then somehow figure a way for a merger with Sprint to occur.

Politics are acceptable discussion when specifically related to on topic subjects. And then it should be a discussion about how wireless subjects are going through the political process and not about strong personal political opinions.

So it's not that we don't allow political discussions at all. But they have to be very on topic, relevant, constructive and conscientious. And we will shut down political bloviating and polical attacks quickly.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 4