T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Anyone know where Dish's spectrum holdings are? Would they simply augment places where T-Mobile has bandwidth or does it cover regions where T-Mobile is weak (e.g. rural areas)?

Sent from my SM-N910T

Edited by Houston_Texas

What's good about the Dish acquisition of tmobileus. DT finally gets rid of what it most needed for the longest time and Dish gets the FCC off it's back with the acquisition of a wireless company to put it's own spectrum it's had for awhile plus the latest bought here a few months ago. The FCC was breathing down Charles Ergen and he knew it. Now Dish gets far more spectrum than ever so it's a win for Ergen. The New Dish Wireless toting it's logo and colors. 

What's bad. Well only for tmobileus subscribers really. The current company name business model it has in place, Gone! The name and colors it currently uses, Gone! Current staff including ceo will remain in place for now to keep current subscribers leached on but once the transaction is complete then that's when the next phase of Dish management takes over and cleans house to include top level positions at tmobileus. From ceo on down the ranks. Expect huge changes in the aftermath.

Make no mistake this is an all around victory for Charles Ergen of Dish and the finale nail on the coffin for tmobileus. Finally!!

Well since this is all talks and nothing more nothing can really come of it so it's a sit back and wait scenario. Get your popcorn ready.

Btw none of the articles address whether Dish will go with CDMA/LTE or gsm so that's up in the air.

Btw none of the articles address whether Dish will go with CDMA/LTE or gsm so that's up in the air.

Why in the world would Dish build a CDMA network this day in age? Everything is going LTE.

• Like 3

Maybe Sprint can benefit from this if they want to get rid of some spectrum? Like PCS-H or some PCS in places where Sprint's holdings are weak.

I wonder what the combined debt load of the new entity will be.

• Like 1

In talking about AWS-3/AWS-4 interoperability, Tim seems to be suggesting that Dish wishes to pair its unpaired AWS-3 spectrum with part of its paired AWS-4 spectrum.  My supposition is that the AWS-3 1695-1710 MHz would become the uplink, and the AWS-4 2000-2015 MHz or 2005-2020 MHz would become the downlink.  That would resolve the conflict AWS-4 conflict with the adjacent PCS/AWS-2 H block, and it would leave the AWS-4 2180-2200 MHz as supplemental downlink.

AJ

What's bad. Well only for tmobileus subscribers really. The current company name business model it has in place, Gone! The name and colors it currently uses, Gone! Current staff including ceo will remain in place for now to keep current subscribers leached on but once the transaction is complete then that's when the next phase of Dish management takes over and cleans house to include top level positions at tmobileus. From ceo on down the ranks. Expect huge changes in the aftermath.

That seems like a lot of wild assumptions.

Even if this happens, they probably won't do anything too crazy. They still have to be competitive in pricing/plans/policy with Sprint and Cricket, so it's very unlikely that they'd drastically raise prices or anything.

Make no mistake this is an all around victory for Charles Ergen of Dish and the finale nail on the coffin for tmobileus. Finally!!

:rolleyes: That's ridiculous.

Dish could bring a lot of bad to T-Mobile, but T-Mobile isn't dying now. T-Mobile is recording strong growth, healthy revenue, and lowered turnover, and increasing profits.

• Like 1

In talking about AWS-3/AWS-4 interoperability, Tim seems to be suggesting that Dish wishes to pair its unpaired AWS-3 spectrum with part of its paired AWS-4 spectrum. My supposition is that the AWS-3 1695-1710 MHz would become the uplink, and the AWS-4 2000-2015 MHz or 2005-2020 MHz would become the downlink. That would resolve the conflict AWS-4 conflict with the adjacent PCS/AWS-2 H block, and it would leave the AWS-4 2180-2200 MHz as supplemental downlink.

AJ

That leaves PCS H and an adjacent 5Mhz downlink slice orphaned. I think my suggestion of selling PCS H to Sprint is very viable.

That leaves PCS H and an adjacent 5Mhz downlink slice orphaned. I think my suggestion of selling PCS H to Sprint is very viable.

Well, my thoughts say nothing of what would happen to the PCS/AWS-2 H block, but I am not sure that Sprint would want it.  Not worth the difficulty.  Getting band 25 to supersede band 2 has been like pulling teeth.  Another superset band would start the process all over again.

As for the AWS-4 2000-2200 MHz, which is presently uplink, Tim Farrar once said that Dish might be required to give up or shift up 5 MHz.  I do not recall the reason, and maybe it was resolved or ignored.  Regardless, for the greater good, loss of 5 MHz would be no big deal.  Not every Hz of electromagnetic spectrum has to be modulated.

AJ

I can't wait to see Uncle Charlie all dressed in pink, standing and saluting the magentan army, hugging and giggling with Legere, saving our wireless and satellite souls from higher prices and finally building out the biggest network on these states we call America.

I am also interested in hearing about the combined company's debt load, revenue and exactly what they plan on doing with unlimited data.

• Like 6

I can't wait to see Uncle Charlie all dressed in pink...

Actually, it is spelled Uncle Charley.  And I doubt that is going to happen, as William Demarest has been dead since 1983. 

AJ

• Like 2

Well ATT came out yesterday in favor of the net neutrality IF the FCC allowed the Directv merger. Interesting as If ATT gets Directv, I don't see an issue with this not going through.

I agree. I think it'll definitely happen.

I also agree with SprintNYC about John Legere not staying around for very long before he gets let go. At that point, I suggest we have a celebration in the chat room here on S4GRU, as I think most people here who show difference towards T-Mobile, such as myself, mainly just don't like what John Legere is doing to T-Mobile, not that we dislike the company itself.

I know all about what people who disagree think about him though. John Legere did this, John Legere did that, so on, etc. Thing is, anyone could have done what he did in that position, with those powers of business. Personally, I envy that, because if it weren't for me stuck in my condition, I'd have been able to take what I know, along with what I would have learned to do in a different life, to make an amazing carrier. Actually, I look around here on S4GRU and think most of us in that position could do a better job than John Legere is doing. Same goes with us doing a better job than past Sprint CEOs too. Marcelo Claure looks to likely be the best CEO the industry ever had. We'll soon see, of course.

Anyways, I'll save more of my thoughts to share here later.

He doesn't always walk on water. But when He does, He carries a T-Mobile, band 12 equipped cell phone.

He turns the water into Magenta-colored wine, and when the person he gives the wine to doesn't finish the wine, he kindly stashes it away until they desire it again, which is when he gives it back to them along with more wine and gracefully charges them for it.

If this were to pass, it will give the combined entity approximately 166MHz average spectrum depth. What will happen to Dish's 700MHz spectrum. Could they buy ATT's Block D and then use it as a supplemental downlink in a carrier aggregation scheme?

Would the combined company pass the spectrum screen without needing to divest any?

Highly likely.  And I would not have a problem with it.  A Dish-T-Mobile combination would mean that the former T-Mobile would be breaking from its several year pattern of riding AT&T band coattails.

T-Mobile seemingly has prided itself on near universal compatibility and economy of scale of its network and device selection based only on PCS and AWS-1.  Lower 700 MHz has thrown at least a temporary wrench now into those works.  But add Dish Lower 700 MHz, AWS-4 (or whatever becomes of AWS-4), PCS/AWS-2 H block, and maybe even some LightSquared L Band into the mix, and Dish-T-Mobile is stuck with one hell of a gumbo.  Too many cooks -- or should I say -- too many boutique bands.

AJ

• Like 6

There's some interesting things T-Mobile could do with SlingTV and the Hopper, but I have three issues:

1. Lots of debt, less revenue to pay it back compared to VZ or AT&T.

2. Can Charlie and John coexist?

3. Lots of boutique bands. Device cost will go up.

That said, I'm all for it if it can disrupt the Pay TV industry that needs disruptive forces put on it in the worst way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He turns the water into Magenta-colored wine, and when the person he gives the wine to doesn't finish the wine, he kindly stashes it away until they desire it again, which is when he gives it back to them along with more wine and gracefully charges them for it.

Even your jokes are unnecessarily long.

I kid :)

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 5

Rough rough numbers: The combined entity appears to be looking at an immediate long term debt load around 49B and equity somewhere between 17 and 18B. Tmo's equity position better than Dish's on paper, but Dish numbers may not include all of the assets that Ergen has amassed through separate entities. Will be interested to see what kind of combined cash on hand the new entity is projected to have and exactly how Ergen intends on financing the 35B+ we know Softbank was going to have to come up with to buy out DT.

I always expected Ergen to want more of a partnership and a seat at the table than an outright acquisition or the creation of a new entity.  He is the kind of person who assesses risk and then immediately assumes the "worst case scenario" as a means of negotiating a better price. I think we're weeks away from hearing that there is a merger or acquisition agreement. 

• Like 1